THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 10 May 2024, 04:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragonball Z  (Read 14313 times)

Caspian

• The Tickler
Dragonball Z
« on: 30 Dec 2006, 09:49 »

I just downloaded the entire series (all 286 episodes!) and damn, it's awesome. I would argue that Goku and Vegeta are the best two cartoon characters in history. Is there anyone else with a completely non-ironic love of Dragonball Z?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Dragonball Z
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2006, 09:58 »

Probably not anyone over the age of 15.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2006, 10:05 »

I used to love it when they showed it on Toonami the first time around.  after watching every episode about a million times because they kept rotating them over and over again I grew extremely bored with them and the constant yelling that filled every episode

autybot

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2006, 11:05 »

I love Dragonball Z. Talk about the start of what I call an anime nerd, (myself!) I would actually LOVE to buy the entire box set, and the movies also.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2006, 11:05 »

I am going to have to second your un-ironic love of Dragonball Z.

Even if I've only been over the age of 15 for like 3 months now, I still think it counts. :-)
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Guardian 452

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2006, 13:41 »

I like DBZ a lot too.  Especially the Cell Saga. 

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2006, 15:33 »

i prefer non-Z dragonball, but yes, dbz was an important part of my life. i watched it religiously when it was first started out on toonami. i really wish i had had access to it earlier, or had taken it upon myself to seek out more anime when i was younger.

say what you will about the formulaic nature of dbz/over-the-top yelling/arbitrary power increases at every turn/etc... toriyama is one of the best. fact.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:59 »

DBZ is something I was enamored with for a period of about eighteen months, when I was first exposed to anime.

Then, one night I couldn't sleep, and ended up watching an episode of Cowboy Bebop on Cartoon Network in the early a.m. hours, and I didn't really care if I ever saw another DBZ episode.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2006, 02:46 »

DBZ is anime for people who don't like anime at all. Because if you have any kind of appreciate for the art form, you will stop liking DBZ as anything other than an ironic curio. DBZ is like the Natty Light of the anime world.

Furthermore, I liked DBZ at the exact same time I liked awful music. Coincidence?? I think not!!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2006, 03:21 »

Sweet Jesus this show is SO awful. If it moved any slower, I think time would actually go backwards in it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:28 »

I think it did at one point.
DBZ is good... at first. Then you hit the Frieza saga, which has 15 episodes that is meant to represent fie minutes and realize it sucks. Then you find good anime and move on with your life.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2006, 09:28 »

I used to watch DBZ, along with Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing.

DBZ is a very important part of anime!! Without it, where would all the "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAANNNDDDD!!!!!!" parodies come from?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2006, 12:22 »

Besides which, isn't Naruto the new DBZ now?

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2006, 17:44 »

DBZ is like the Natty Light of the anime world.

what the fuck are you trying to say?!?

YOU GOT SOMETHING AGAINST NATTY LIGHT?!?
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2006, 18:50 »

Besides which, isn't Naruto the new DBZ now?

Exactly, only it has pretty music, and no screaming.

ForteBass

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2006, 23:35 »

No screaming? I call bullshit on that.
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

NecroAd

« Reply #16 on: 01 Jan 2007, 02:12 »

Heh, I used to watch DBZ all the time back when I was in year... 4? Y'know, I still say I like it, but I haven't watched it literally for years. Maybe I should kinda check that one again...

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #17 on: 01 Jan 2007, 05:11 »

Okay okay, there's screaming.

Just not as bad as DBZ!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jan 2007, 07:49 »

Back when I would wake up at 7, pull cones untill Cheeze TV finished, then sleep till 4 pm, I loved this show.

Now, not so much. I don't really like the original Dragonball that much either, but to be fair, things actually happened in each episode. You didn't just see the bad guy writihng and eventually growing into something bigger and more ridiculous.

On the other hand, I really liked Vegeta. Basically he was a cunt of a person.

In the end really, I was more of a Card-Captors kind of person though.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2007, 07:53 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Entilzah

« Reply #19 on: 01 Jan 2007, 08:33 »

DBZ is anime for people who don't like anime at all. Because if you have any kind of appreciate for the art form, you will stop liking DBZ as anything other than an ironic curio. DBZ is like the Natty Light of the anime world.

Furthermore, I liked DBZ at the exact same time I liked awful music. Coincidence?? I think not!!

I wouldn't even classify it in with anime at all. I condiser DBZ a cartoon, kinda like Heman and the Masters of the Universe. Good cartoons if your ten other than that not so good.

If I want to watch an anime I actually watch an anime, like Gravion, Gravion Zwei, Full Metal Panic, Iczelion, or Mahoromatic. Those are anime, and good ones at that. Do not insult these greats by putting them in the same classification as DBZ

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #20 on: 01 Jan 2007, 11:06 »

Technically anything that was produced in Japan and is a cartoon, is considered anime.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jan 2007, 12:50 »

Technically anything that was produced in Japan and is a cartoon, is considered anime.
word. trying to split unsplittable hairs, just because you don't like the show is silly.

if the consensus on family guy is that it is a cartoon, then dragonball is without question, an anime.

also, fuck the implication that "anime" is somehow on a higher level than "cartoon."
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #22 on: 01 Jan 2007, 12:58 »

Anime isn't high than a cartoon. I think that most people just see cartoons being the bugs bunny cartoons and mickey mouse cartoons they used to watch as a kid, and now that they've grown up, they watch "anime" (liek omg.)

Also, it seems a lot of animes deal with a lot more drama than normal cartoons anyway, but needless to say, anime=cartoons, it just happens to be made in japan.

ForteBass

« Reply #23 on: 01 Jan 2007, 13:20 »

I don't like the term "drama" in this instance. DBZ has about as much drama as a high school theater production in Alabama.
Continuity, however...
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2007, 13:25 by ForteBass »

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jan 2007, 15:17 »

I used to watch it, and then I stopped because I started to realize that it was horrible.  I have to appreciate it though, because of it I found things like Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jan 2007, 15:29 »

Anime isn't high than a cartoon. I think that most people just see cartoons being the bugs bunny cartoons and mickey mouse cartoons they used to watch as a kid, and now that they've grown up, they watch "anime" (liek omg.)

Also, it seems a lot of animes deal with a lot more drama than normal cartoons anyway, but needless to say, anime=cartoons, it just happens to be made in japan.

oops, i did not intend "fuck the implications yadda yadda yadda" to be aimed at you. quoted your post to agree with you point you made and went on to address the other dude. i am certainly on top of this "internet" thing.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #26 on: 01 Jan 2007, 21:41 »

DBZ is like the Natty Light of the anime world.

what the fuck are you trying to say?!?

YOU GOT SOMETHING AGAINST NATTY LIGHT?!?

Natty Light is god awful beer for people who don't like beer. It has none of the qualities or characteristics that are what true beer is all about.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #27 on: 01 Jan 2007, 23:19 »

oops, i did not intend "fuck the implications yadda yadda yadda" to be aimed at you. quoted your post to agree with you point you made and went on to address the other dude. i am certainly on top of this "internet" thing.

Certainly okay, and I understand.

I don't really watch DBZ anymore, but I'm not going to sit there and say I've never watched it. It was like a pathway drug to further anime.

Entilzah

« Reply #28 on: 02 Jan 2007, 03:48 »

Pathway drug?!?!?!?

You need to lay off the drugs...

DBZ does nothing but turn people off to anime....most people I know that have seen it refuse to watch anyother anime becaue of it
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2007, 04:02 by Entilzah »

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #29 on: 02 Jan 2007, 07:49 »

Haha, I don't do drugs. I was just saying for me, it was one of the first animes I saw, and thusly led me to watch more later on in life.

That was A LONG time ago.

Nowadays, yeah, it might turn people off. But I was simply talking from personal experience.

Bad Bird

« Reply #30 on: 02 Jan 2007, 11:46 »

Whilst I agree that it is a terrible show, it has one redeeming feature. Vegeta. That's about it.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #31 on: 02 Jan 2007, 15:35 »

I used to watch it, and then I stopped because I started to realize that it was horrible.  I have to appreciate it though, because of it I found things like Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.

That's like saying that I should appreciate Linkin Park since I eventually moved onto things like Megadeth and Iron Maiden.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #32 on: 02 Jan 2007, 17:59 »

I'd say something similar, but a friend showed me Iron Maiden in like 6th grade, and Guitar Hero introduced me to Megadeth.  :lol:

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 02 Jan 2007, 23:24 »

I actually do have n un-ironic love of DBZ as well. I'd be willing to buy the boxed set just so i can skip most the Frieza Saga for doing nothing but powering up, talking and making grunting sounds that made you think they having serious bowel problems.

The driver's license episode alone makes up for anything the show ever did wrong.

Cowboy Bebop and numerous other Anime's are immeasurably better in every way but Vegeta though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #34 on: 03 Jan 2007, 02:18 »

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jan 2007, 02:31 »

Epic win.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #36 on: 03 Jan 2007, 04:39 »

Johnny just won the internets again.

you need to stop doing that.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #37 on: 03 Jan 2007, 12:24 »

OH LORD.

That was great.

Johnny gets like 50 cool points for that one  XD

Merkava

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jan 2007, 02:37 »

Oh, Johnny. :D

I also have an unironic love for DBZ. There are too many childhood memories for me to objectively judge the show. It's a huge part of my very existence. I would love to have the whole series.

EDIT: Although it did loose steam with the Buu saga. By then I realized that there was no purpose in having a lot of those characters, since the show basically became a vehicle for Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta.

Argument Guy

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:53 »

I agree with the pathway drug statement said above, it applies to me in both music and anime. I used to be on of the biggest fans of DBZ you could possibly imagine.. Until the Buu Saga. I could only watch it on Toonami, and they kept repeating the same few episodes over and over again, so it got stale for me, and I never finished it. I do like to watch the DBZ movies still, cos, y'know.. it's DBZ.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:49 »

the show basically became a vehicle for Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta.

Here I have this amazingly clear image of Goku, Gohan and Vegeta in a shiny red convertible.

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2007, 20:23 »

Yeah, I was obsessed by this series as a kid, saw them all... missed 2 or 3 movies... but that's about it...

Nowadays, I don't watch it anymore...
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jan 2007, 03:13 »

the show basically became a vehicle for Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta.

Here I have this amazingly clear image of Goku, Gohan and Vegeta in a shiny red convertible.

I just got it too, and I'm not sure why, but it's frightening to me.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #43 on: 26 Jan 2007, 09:52 »

Here I have this amazingly clear image of Goku, Gohan and Vegeta in white convertible.

The boys in the bright white sports cars
Who do they think they are?
And where did they get that

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1]   Go Up