THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 11 May 2024, 06:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Let me introduce you to good music.(YSI Inside.)  (Read 14521 times)

SeanBateman

I am going to upload albums. Most of them will likely be alt country albums. They will always be very good albums.

First up- The Jayhawks: Tomorrow The Green Grass.

These guys were basically the other side of the coin to Uncle Tupelo, back when Alt-Country was in its infancy. The melodies are strong, and the country roots are readily apparent, but they have a more mellow rock sound than the Tupelo's intense country punk. In fact, especially considering Singer Mark Olson's alarming vocal resemblance to Gram Parsons(Check out his version of In My Hour Of Darkness if you don't believe me, it's on the tribute album") they are basically the closest thing you can get to hearing a new Gram Parsons record.

My favourite tracks are Blue, Two Hearts, and Bad Time. Listen to this.

www.mediafire.com/?7dcf1almnhv

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: Let me introduce you to good music.(YSI Inside.)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2007, 19:41 »

Tomorrow the Green Grass is pretty much at the top of my "albums I would have bought when I was in high-school if I had money" list.

SeanBateman

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2007, 20:24 »

Next Up- Jayhawks, Hollywood Town Hall.

This is reverse order, sorry dudes. This record is amazing though. It came out before "Green Grass" and I like it a little more. Of course, that could be because it's a little more country. Where "Grass" goes almost power pop on some tracks, "hollywood" is pure country rock. There really isn't a bad song on this record. Mark Olson is one of the best country singers in modern times, and the music compliments his voice perfectly throughout the record.

Key Tracks- Crowded In The Wings, Two Angels, Take Me With You(When you Go)
http://www.mediafire.com/?9z92zw

SeanBateman

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2007, 21:43 »

Okay here are the last 2 Jayhawks Albums, still in Reverse Chronologicl order.

First is Blue Earth, their debut on a majorish label.
hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/jveqsf

Finally, Their Selftitled Debut, which I just found recently, and which is fucking amazing.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?772m1mjbh2n

These two are also really country, but still, listen.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2007, 00:59 »

You know, there's already a perfectly good album upload thread.. But I guess if you posted in that then you wouldn't have an excuse for more self-congratulation?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:34 »

BURN.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

SeanBateman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:39 »

You know, there's already a perfectly good album upload thread.. But I guess if you posted in that then you wouldn't have an excuse for more self-congratulation?

There are two kinds of upload threads. The first is like the sendspace thread; just a whole bunch of random shit that people sort though and possibly find something they are interested in hearing. Then there is this kind which targets a specific genre of music that a lot of people are not aware of for the purpose of a more comprehenisve introduction.

Now, my whole goal here was really just to get more people to listen to Alt-Country, because it is pretty much my favourite kind of music. There have been 3 or 4 upload threads before, one that was just me and E bitching and uploading stuff, one where I just uploaded albums from 2007, and one where we had a music club. In fact, even right now there is another thread with a lot of uploads in it, the Leaked albums thread, so you clearly targeted me in particular because you feel like you can get away with it.

I do not really know when I ridiculed you in the past, although I am sure it happened because you are kind of lame, but attacking this thread of all things is kind of like writing negative reviews of Stanley "Tookie" Williams" books to get back at him for something he did before he went to prison. What I am saying here is basically, fuck off, I guess. If you don't want free, awesome music, no one is making you look at the thread. If you do, then stick your head back in your ass so the stupid shit you say will be at least partly muffled, and enjoy.

SeanBateman

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2007, 10:00 »

Next Up - Bottle Rockets: The Brooklyn Side.

This band is great, but even serious alt country fans often don't enjoy them. They were also early Alt-Country pioneers, the singer Brian Henneman was even part of the acoustic Uncle Tupelo side project, Coffee Creek, as well as playing on their opus, "March 16-20 1992," but unlike their contemporaries, the Rockets embrace the redneck side of country that was often ignored, going for flat out blasting guitars backing songs about welfare, Workmans's Comp, and more. It's kind of like Southern Culture on the Skids, but the vocals are stronger. They basically follow a line from someone more like Waylon Jennings or Wayne "The Train" Hancock more than Gram Parsons. Still amazing, listen.

My favourite songs are Idiot's Revenge, Welfare Music, and I'll Be Comin Around.

Hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/9v13q6
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 11:03 by Dirk Hopeless »

SeanBateman

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2007, 11:12 »

Next Up: Mekons, Fear and Whiskey

Considered by many people to be the first alt-country album ever. British people singing songs about whiskey and sadness with some really intense fiddle parts in pretty much every song. The band started as contemporaries of Gang of Four, made a couple of post-punk albums, and then dropped this. Alternating from heavy country influence on songs like "Lost Highway" to dabbling with the punk that formed them on songs like "Hard To Be Human," the record as a whole comes together as really solid country punk, well worth a listen for anyone who likes music.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?81nxcz1j238
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 11:37 by Dirk Hopeless »

hihowareyou

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2007, 11:51 »

I've always loved Uncle Tupelo but never really delved any further into this genre. Thanks a lot.

SeanBateman

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2007, 14:37 »

Okay now it gets weird.

Gillian Welch- Revival.

This album is so sweet, most dentists advise against it. It's pure Folk, not a touch of freak or alt in it, just a girl with a mandolin singing pretty songs about pretty things. Think "o Brother Where art thou" if you need a clue. I think she actually had a song on the soundtrack. There is no reason for anyone not to listen to this.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?cdmo2e02xym

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2007, 16:59 »

I love that Mekons record. And The Mekons in general.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2007, 17:17 »

But why is it so fucking hard to find their albums in the stores?!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2007, 20:39 »

Stores hate you.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2007, 21:43 »

Bullshit! Stores love me! Stores love me so much that the boss of the record store I go to all the time has started giving me a discount on C.D.s I buy there!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2007, 07:02 »

It's called "bait."

SeanBateman

« Reply #16 on: 01 Jul 2007, 12:34 »

Sorry for the delay dudes, I was moving. I now have more music available to me than before, and faster internet! You are the beneficiaries.

I am going to do some Ryan Adams now. This is Rural Free Delivery, it's basically the earliest Whiskeytown recordings I've been able to find. It collects most of the songs off of their original Angels EP, plus some other stuff from the really early years. If you like Gram Parsons, but have listened to all his albums to death, then this is a pretty good place to start listening to alt country. Just think of it as an homage, not a rip off.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?4jyajxnzm2l

Oh and FYI, if the HXXP is throwing anyone, just copy and paste the link. Trying to keep the referalls to Mediafire down.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #17 on: 01 Jul 2007, 12:42 »

This would be a pretty sound investment too.

Or even Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jul 2007, 14:10 »

oh hey Ryan Adams

In 1994 he was in a band called Space Madness, they made some songs

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ezvz3m32wb
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

SeanBateman

« Reply #19 on: 01 Jul 2007, 14:38 »

Fucker Demoooos!

Good Stuff, really lo-fi Ryan Adams demo's, it has some song's you'll recognize, and some you have never heard. It's really worth a listen as part of the Ryan Adams Whiskeytown Puzzle, recoreded in about 98.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?bedws4mzgre

SeanBateman

« Reply #20 on: 01 Jul 2007, 14:41 »

Whiskeytown - Faithless Street.

This is my favourite of the official Whiskeytown records, and the first one to actually be released. All the songs are good, although I think Hard Luck Story is my favourite for pure country Twang. There are some songs at the end which are from the sessions that made the "Those Weren't The Days" album, which either me or E will probably have up later. You really should download this record, guys.

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/ze04mj

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jul 2007, 16:29 »

Tell me you're going to upload The Sadies.

Cause they are seriously good.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

SeanBateman

« Reply #22 on: 01 Jul 2007, 16:35 »

Never heard em. After I finish with all this stuff, you could do so though.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jul 2007, 16:52 »

Dude.  What.  You like alt-country but you've never heard The Sadies?!?!

I don't have any of their albums right now but have a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODprP_rlmLw

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jul 2007, 16:58 »

The Sadies: pretty fantastic band.

Here is the Those Weren't The Days talked about earlier

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pk0b92
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

SeanBateman

« Reply #25 on: 01 Jul 2007, 16:59 »

This is the "lost" album, that comes before Faithless Street and Strangers Almanac in chronology. It's also one of my favourite Whiskeytown recordings. The first 10 songs are incredible, but it really really peters out towards the end. Definitely listen to it, it serves as a great Jumping on point for new fans, and old fans who don't have it will be hella pleased, especially by hearing his cover of GP's Luxury Liner and the one song that later turned up on Jacksonville City Nights.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #26 on: 01 Jul 2007, 17:41 »

If anybody has the fabled covers album of the Strokes's Is This It that Ryan Adams did, I would love to hear it.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jul 2007, 19:22 »

Quoted for truth.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #28 on: 01 Jul 2007, 21:05 »

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for douche.

(Really, why give him a hard time because he didn't choose a better thread title?  I don't think we're overloaded on threads so who cares?)

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #29 on: 01 Jul 2007, 22:19 »

because it's a really annoying, really condescending thread title.

" Let me introduce you to Good Music."

seriously, could there be a more annoying thread title that that? "I listen to good music, you don't, but don't worry, I'm here to save the day with my obviously superior music taste."

If he had said "Here is some good music" then I'd be totally down with that. But he didn't.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #30 on: 01 Jul 2007, 22:29 »

Relax. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a superiority thing at all. Surely the intention wasn't to look down on other people and offer some sort of help at saving them from their bad taste in music. I don't think thread title warrants aggression. Clearly he just likes a certain style of music and is posting it here for other people to take a look at if they choose.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #31 on: 01 Jul 2007, 22:59 »

that is most likely true, but it is a pretty pompous, annoying title nonetheless.

Anyway, I have kinda released that I'm arguing about the title of a thread on a forum board. Perhaps I'll download some of this guy's tunes, and reserve judgement until then.

T-Rex

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #32 on: 02 Jul 2007, 00:22 »

Man Kieffer people are already forgetting who you are.  I think maybe you need to educate them in the error of their ways
Let's talk about feelings.

SeanBateman

« Reply #33 on: 02 Jul 2007, 09:38 »

Caspian I don't know if you are just one of those pathetic new kids who tries to establish himself by taking shots at an established poster, or one of those people who doesn't understand how little his opinion matters, or just an idiot, but if you can't understand the difference between a thread dedicated to a specific type of music as comprehensive as possible vs a generic sendspace thread, then you should just go away.

Here's Whiskeytown's second Official release, Stranger's Almanac. Another great record, not quite as good as the two before it in my mind though. Really the band gradually got slightly less awesome album by album, not to say all the records aren't great. Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight is probably my favourite song Ryan Adams has ever done though, so there is that.

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/9aly16

SeanBateman

« Reply #34 on: 02 Jul 2007, 10:24 »

Final Whiskeytown Album, Pneumonia. Actually released after Heartbreaker, but recorded before, it's a great record, although I don't think it comes close to the earlier stuff. A lot less country in this one, basically, a little more smooth rock and roll, a little more of a southern rock vibe. Not bad, at all, just not as immedeatly twangy as the others. Then again, if you don't like twang, it might be good for you.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?4ylgjn91mtg

SeanBateman

« Reply #35 on: 02 Jul 2007, 10:44 »

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker.

First solo album, and some would say his best. I dunno if I go that far, but this album definitely has some amazing songs on it. This really is him at his best, fast rocky stuff and slow jams and all the Ryan Adams tortured hearts we've all come to expect from him by this point.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?alxziiz3nct

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2007, 12:09 »

Man Kieffer people are already forgetting who you are.  I think maybe you need to educate them in the error of their ways

Doesn't look like this is happening so maybe you could fill us new folks in. Is this a gimmick or something?

SeanBateman

« Reply #37 on: 02 Jul 2007, 12:54 »

I am, on various occasions-

A huge douchebag.

One of the forums longest standing posters(I know, ew, right?)

A guy who is usually pretty funny.

A dude who has been drunk with all of the mods and most of the admins.

Astoundingly attractive.

And, probably what he is refering to, I was the real life inspiration for the Makeout Hobo.

SeanBateman

« Reply #38 on: 02 Jul 2007, 15:37 »

Dudes JK.

Gold is a great record, considered by some to be his best. Not that country for a ryan adams album, a lot of just soft power pop, but his voice stays twangy just enough to remind you who you're listening to and where he came from.

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/h58nc2

Here's Demolition, which is a bunch of B-sides from Heartbreaker and Gold, all really good but with one song that's pretty meh. I'd almost call it the only Ryan Adams song I don't like. The album as a whole is good, it's more rock, less country, but there are a couple songs where the country shines through.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?cl43zlmxyz0

I also have for you... Ryan Adams - Llor N Kcor. He said in interviews that he made this record and it's counterpart, Love is Hell, just to piss off his fans. Good Job Ryan, good job. There are a couple really weak songs, but for the most part it's good powerpop almost punk stuff that you can really bob your head to.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?ag11mxeiv0m

Finally, Cold Roses. His first record with his new band, the Cardinals, and it's a doozie. Sure it's 2 discs long and there are some filler songs; it probably could have been a single album. But the good songs on here are great. It's also him getting back to his country roots in a big way. Wall to wall twang, slide guitar, and steel brushes on the drums. ch-ch-check em out!

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?4rzqrhgjrl3

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jul 2007, 17:54 »

You've done a sneaky little thing there, Caspian. It's so sneaky you might not have even realised that you were doing it. You've capitalised the words "good" and "music" in the thread title, and by doing so you've subtly changed the way the title reads. Have a look:

"Let me introduce you to good music."

"Let me introduce you to Good Music."

See how in the second instance, the emphasis falls ever-so-slightly more on "Good Music"? And by doing so those two little words are loaded with a whole lot of meaning that they didn't have before? Which makes them sound rather more condescending? Like Kieffer/Dirk is saying "Your music is crap. My music is Good." Whereas in the original thread title, it's just "good music", and I think, "Okay, cool, guy has some good music he wants to share. Awesome." See the difference?

Whoa semantics!

Ally

« Reply #40 on: 02 Jul 2007, 19:24 »

A dude who has been drunk with all of the mods

This is not true!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #41 on: 02 Jul 2007, 19:48 »

Oh, cool, sorry for perpetuating the derail. Just wondered if I was missing something. On a more relevant note, thanks for the uploads, deffo gonna check a couple o' these out.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #42 on: 02 Jul 2007, 21:50 »

I think maybe you need to educate them in the error of their ways

by making out with them

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #43 on: 02 Jul 2007, 23:09 »

I haven't been drunk with Kifz yet.  I want this to happen in the future so that we can get into an argument over stupid shit, punch each other a bit, then decide we're cool again.  It'll be dope.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #44 on: 03 Jul 2007, 00:05 »

This is the same Jaybirds as Shotgun and Jaybird?

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #45 on: 03 Jul 2007, 03:08 »

You've done a sneaky little thing there, Caspian. It's so sneaky you might not have even realised that you were doing it. You've capitalised the words "good" and "music" in the thread title, and by doing so you've subtly changed the way the title reads. Have a look:

"Let me introduce you to good music."

"Let me introduce you to Good Music."

See how in the second instance, the emphasis falls ever-so-slightly more on "Good Music"? And by doing so those two little words are loaded with a whole lot of meaning that they didn't have before? Which makes them sound rather more condescending? Like Kieffer/Dirk is saying "Your music is crap. My music is Good." Whereas in the original thread title, it's just "good music", and I think, "Okay, cool, guy has some good music he wants to share. Awesome." See the difference?

Whoa semantics!

That is actually a valid point. I guess I am somewhat wrong?

Just to clear things up though, I don't care if you're an established poster or not. A douchebag with 5000 posts is still a douchebag, no? But, I will say that I was wrong. Also- that Pneumonia album by whiskeytown is quite a good album indeed, especcially considering that the only country-ish stuff I own is a few (downloaded) Johnny Cash albums.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 03 Jul 2007, 03:16 »

Holy shit, maturity on the internet!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #47 on: 03 Jul 2007, 10:13 »

it's a facade.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Mnementh

« Reply #48 on: 03 Jul 2007, 16:58 »

I do not have the album to share because it is DRMed, but I suggest checking out Miss Derringer's Lullabies.  It's a charmingly nostalgic album that combines the sensibilities of outlaw country with the sounds of 50s and 60s pop rock.

SeanBateman

« Reply #49 on: 13 Sep 2007, 20:30 »

I should do this again
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up