THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 01:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Untitled JJ Abrams Movie  (Read 11297 times)

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
Untitled JJ Abrams Movie
« on: 08 Jul 2007, 21:30 »

If you saw Transformers, you probably saw this preview. It's the one with the guy holding the video camera and things getting all blowed up. I like JJ Abrams and the things he makes, so I'm excited about a big screen project, but I'm curious what it is. The obvious answer after watching it was another Godzilla movie, because it a was a huge monster blowing stuff up. But I've also heard rumors of it being a Cthulu movie, which would kick all kinds of ass. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Anyone at all?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Untitled JJ Abrams Movie
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2007, 21:53 »

is there even a name yet?

my friend and I were both wondering what the hell was going on and knew that it some how involved a giant monster, whether it be from the land of the rising sun or the very depths of darkness we were uncertain

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2007, 22:00 »

Someone else on the internet said it was a monster movie filmed from the perspective of the people with the cameras, and the title began with an M, I think.  Not a godzilla movie.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2007, 22:26 »

If it's all from the camera man's perspective, that seems more like Cthulu, because that could be a really scary movie that way - we may never see the way it really looks, and a Cthulu movie's got to be scary as heck. Plus, you can't do a Godzilla movie without showing him tearing up buildings and crap. Plus, there were a lot of fireball like things flying around; I know Godzilla could shoot fire/lightning out of his mouth or whatever, but this seemed different. I'll be the first to admit ignorance on both subjects, though...

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2007, 22:58 »

I thought it was a spoof of the Blair Witch Project except more serious. But I'm definately thinking its a Godzilla movie as I think more about it.
I'm a girl! I have a vagina for god's sake!

CmonMiracle

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2007, 23:36 »

What IS Cthulu anyway? Also, I thought for sure it was another Godzilla movie.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2007, 23:42 »

What IS Cthulu anyway? Also, I thought for sure it was another Godzilla movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulu

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2007, 08:03 »

A great big thing with tentacles and if you stare into its eyes you'll go insane.  There are a number of 'cultists' (I use the term in quotes because they aren't really cultists, they're just angsty teenagers who think that reading H.P. Lovecraft makes them blacker than the blackest black and therefore, blacker than anyone else.  I'm not sure that came out right...) who go around praising his madness, etc, etc.  The prediction of his arrival has been wrong at least 4 times in the past 6 years.

In other words, a character from a book that is being taken far too seriously.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2007, 09:43 »

I think it's Godzilla because all the monster's noises sound like the old Godzilla. 

And if I'm right, where was Matthew Broderick? He's under contract for two more Godzilla movies.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Choco

« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2007, 15:23 »

Old Godzilla? I thought they kept his roar the same after all these years. I thought it WASN'T Godzilla because of the roar.

The extra letter

« Reply #10 on: 09 Jul 2007, 17:23 »

I'm hoping that it's a Cthulhu movie.

That'd kick so much arse it'd hurt.

Edit: What actually happens if you send the email after solving the two puzzles?
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2007, 17:28 by The extra letter »
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2007, 19:21 »

Joe Loves Crappy movies provided a link for the movie, which I guess is being called Cloverfield

here is the link, though all that is there are two pcitures that you can move around

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jul 2007, 20:49 »

There's a fairly popular RPG based on Call of Cthulu, so if you can get your hands on any sourcebooks, it might have some info. Also, I believe Neil Gaiman wrote a few short stories set in the Cthulu setting. I don't really know how to get ahold of either, but they're suggestions.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jul 2007, 21:18 »

I just watched the trailer and it looks frickin cool. I don't care if it's Cthulu or Godzilla or anything along those lines. It looks awesome, it has explosions, there's some kind of monster type thing, and there's fun, spazzy cinematography. In other words, I can't wait for whatever it is to come out.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jul 2007, 22:19 »

Thanks Robbie, Gaiman is one of my favourite authors, reckon that's where I'll start... And TheFuriousWombat, yeah, it looks really cool regardless of wether Cthulhu is in the movie or not, I'm definetely going to see it.

This is from wikipedia:

Neil Gaiman in his short story collection Smoke and Mirrors included two stories connected with the Cthulhu universe: "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" in which a man shares a pint with two acolytes of Cthulhu, and "Only the End of the World Again", set in Lovecraft's imaginary town of Innsmouth, where a werewolf private detective prevents the awakening of the Great Old Ones. In his short story collection Fragile Things, the opening story, "A Study In Emerald", is a Sherlock Holmes story set in a universe where the Great Old Ones control the world.

Elementary, my dear Mind Flayer!

I'll be honest. When I saw the Bad Robot logo at the beginning, I immediately thought this was a Lost tie-in. I'm still not completely convinced it isn't.  :roll:
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2007, 22:29 by RobbieOC »

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jul 2007, 23:12 »

Hey, um, JJ Abrams is just the producer on this... 

Here's the TV history of the writer, who's never written a movie before:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1206844/

Apparently Buffy fans love him?

Here's the history of the director, who's directed one movie (a romantic comedy called The Pallbearer which starred Ross from Friends and Gwyneth Paltrow):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0716257/

Trailer looks OK.

Edit: sorry, stuffed up one of the URLs somehow.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2007, 23:47 by fish across face »

xero

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2007, 01:13 »

My friend Mike and I are serious fans of Lost. While I prefer to take a more Cartesian approach to analyzing the show (ie taking what we think we know, then eliminating everything that's based on assumptions and speculation, and then using Occam's Razor to come up with a unified theory), Mike likes to peruse the internet for the latest gossip and speculation on anything even remotely related. The downside to his method is that there's a lot of white noise in his analysis; he gets all the intelligent theories along with all the crazy and out-there ones, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. The upside is that he gets access to other people's secondhand information "directly" from the source. Usually he takes what he reads, forms a conclusion (or a set of probable conclusions) and then presents it to me, and I try to make sense of it in relation to what I already "know" about the show. Occasionally that'll pique my interest and I'll do my own online research. I think I'm better at it than he is. Shhh.

Anyway, Mike's picking up a lot of buzz about this JJ Abrams project. What we "know" so far: the production codename for the movie is "Cloverfield" (though rumor is that the codename has now switched to "Slusho"). There's no indication that this will be the final title, or even that it has any relevance to the subject of the film. There's a dearth of official information about the movie, but we know it's not Abram's rendition of Star Trek because "Cloverfield" is slated for a January '08 release, while Star Trek is set for December '08. There was a website that indicated that the film would end up being called "The Parasite" (with that being the name of the monster as well), but it seems that website was a hoax. Supposedly Abrams has said through some official channel that he's set up some viral promotional websites. So far the only one discovered and confirmed is 1-18-08.com, according to Abrams himself (by way of Ain't It Cool News, an admittedly questionable source).

Speculation so far has run the gamut from a Lost tie-in, to Godzilla sequel, to Cthulhu license, to Voltron remake. Voltron was my first guess when I saw the trailer in theaters (it made sense initially, given the Transformers connection), but by the end of the trailer I knew that wasn't it. I haven't seen anything to justify the Cthulhu theory (aside from Lovecraftian themes on some websites that seemed like official viral tie-ins, but have reportedly been debunked as hoaxes), and I believe the Godzilla possibility has been debunked with the revelation that the rights to a new Godzilla film are tied up for the foreseeable future. We'll see what develops. I'm sure it'll be confusing, whatever it is.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2007, 01:20 by xero »

Theplanman

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2007, 18:41 »

Well, the ultimate geek fantasy is that it does in fact tie into Lost, (the movie comes out in January, which is when the next season of Lost starts) but I wouldn't get your hopes up, xero. (The upside of being a pessimist is that you are always either right, or pleasantly suprised)

There was something on digg that made reference to those reportedly hoax sites, saying it sounds like a "gods vs aliens" movie. In which case, that would kick untold amounts of ass.

xero

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2007, 22:58 »

Oh crap, I forgot to debunk the Lost tie-in possibility. At the moment I can't remember why, but I'm fairly certain this movie doesn't relate to Lost at all.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2007, 01:53 »

Guys, CTHULHU not CTHULU. OKZ? Sorry to be a spastic but it's a pet peeve of mine.

On the current topic, this movie looks pretty awesome. I really like the use of heavy duty special effects combined with standard handicams. I give it thumbs up out of a possible transformers, to quote the current meme.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Kaktion

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2007, 19:37 »

I'm hoping it's about Gamera. It makes sense a bit if you read into it: temperature, firefireexplosion, and giant monster? The Slusho website seems to indicate the monster might be amphibious: GIANT WHALE!!! and all the fish swimming around. There's also a dog or something but let's forget that for now. If it's not, that's cool because unlike other trailers this year this one made me very, very, very excited. Just the thought of a giant monster flick, when's the last one we've had a good one of those?

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2007, 14:38 »

I'm sorry to rant about this (especially since I myself was intrigued by the trailer, enough to look 1-18-08 up on IMDB after the showing of Transformers), but...

I think it is ridiculous how much fan attention this movie has garnered (a quick google search will give you an idea of the exact scope). I feel as if I have been unwittingly sucked into part of the viral marketing scheme by even posting on a thread ABOUT the film. Sure, speculation about an upcoming film is great, but are all the photoshops of 1-18-08.com pictures, rumors ("ETHAN HAAS WAS RIGHT!" "No, Ethan Haas was wrong!" "No wait, Ethan Haas was RIGHT!"), 1-18-08 blogs, and silly debates over numerology and monsters ("It's not Godzilla, Cthulhu, or a virus, it's a LION!!") necessary?

Maybe I'm just bitter about how successful J.J. has hooked us all in with simple lures. Honestly, I don't think the movie's concept is all that original D:, just the presentation.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2007, 19:45 »

I'm hoping it's about Gamera. It makes sense a bit if you read into it: temperature, firefireexplosion, and giant monster? The Slusho website seems to indicate the monster might be amphibious: GIANT WHALE!!! and all the fish swimming around. There's also a dog or something but let's forget that for now. If it's not, that's cool because unlike other trailers this year this one made me very, very, very excited. Just the thought of a giant monster flick, when's the last one we've had a good one of those?

It can't be about Gamera, he is the friend of all children in the world.

huh, a few new photos on the website

Aceandcups

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2007, 23:10 »

I'm sorry to rant about this (especially since I myself was intrigued by the trailer, enough to look 1-18-08 up on IMDB after the showing of Transformers), but...

I think it is ridiculous how much fan attention this movie has garnered (a quick google search will give you an idea of the exact scope). I feel as if I have been unwittingly sucked into part of the viral marketing scheme by even posting on a thread ABOUT the film. Sure, speculation about an upcoming film is great, but are all the photoshops of 1-18-08.com pictures, rumors ("ETHAN HAAS WAS RIGHT!" "No, Ethan Haas was wrong!" "No wait, Ethan Haas was RIGHT!"), 1-18-08 blogs, and silly debates over numerology and monsters ("It's not Godzilla, Cthulhu, or a virus, it's a LION!!") necessary?

Maybe I'm just bitter about how successful J.J. has hooked us all in with simple lures. Honestly, I don't think the movie's concept is all that original D:, just the presentation.

It's sort of like how people died when they saw the trailer for "Independence Day." Although I was a lad back then, I do remember people shouting for the explosions and such. I suppose we're intrigued by explosions in movies and this movie that JJ Abrams is doing seems to be leading with that theory. I'd be more angry if this movie was in some way related to ... I don't know, the Sex and the City movie. Then I would be angry. For now, I'm very passive and a bit intrigued.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2007, 07:14 »

huh, a few new photos on the website

I think it was rude for JJ to include a picture of him giving the finger to his audience.  Rude but honest.

Oh and the actual name of the movie is going to be "Untitled JJ Abrams Project".  What a twist!

CookedHaggis

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2007, 11:40 »

I agree with you so much it almost hurts.  People who still sing the praises of Lost confuse, annoy and slightly creep me out.  Once you've got over the fact it's "mysterious", what else is there to it?  That pretty much seems to sum up everything Abrams is successful for.

pentaen

• Furry furrier

Tehz

• and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #28 on: 01 Sep 2007, 18:59 »

My friend has been freaking out ever since he saw the trailer.

He's shown the trailer to me at least three times, and every time he gets so much as a single significant detail about it, he has to tell everyone he can. I know he's just excited, but it's getting annoying.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #29 on: 01 Sep 2007, 21:16 »

Too bad everything was not obliterated in the trailer or I would be all..

Watchmen.
Hate, rain on me

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #30 on: 02 Sep 2007, 08:50 »

One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #31 on: 02 Sep 2007, 10:31 »

Too bad everything was not obliterated in the trailer or I would be all..

Watchmen.

Well, considering that's Zak Snyder and not Abrams that's sort of impossible, along with that being the big spoiler for the movie.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: [1]   Go Up