THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 Jun 2024, 06:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Superbad  (Read 15314 times)

jtheexploder

• Not quite a lurker
Superbad
« on: 17 Aug 2007, 14:31 »

I don't know if there's already a topic for this movie, but even if there is, it deserves two. I love this movie...forever.

who agrees?

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
Re: Superbad
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2007, 14:32 »

I haven't seen it, but I expect typical frat-boy sex romp crap. I could be wrong though.
Hate, rain on me

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2007, 16:21 »

Why would you expect that from a movie written by Seth Rogen, produced by Judd Apatow and starring Michael Cera, set in a high school and based around three complete and utter losers who are unable to do such a thing as make a fake ID right?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

camelpimp

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2007, 16:31 »

I dunno, it actually looks kind of interesting? I'm not gonna go zip right out to watch or anything, but I'm not gonna write it off yet.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2007, 16:35 »

I used the term frat-boy to describe the people who would watch this movie most often.

Of course, like I said, I could be wrong. Advertisements usually always make a movie look worse than it is.
Hate, rain on me

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2007, 02:15 »

I want to watch this movie again and again, and I'm not in a frat.  Should I join one?
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

backstagebetty

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mmmmhmm
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2007, 02:23 »

I actually thought it looked like a good movie when I saw the first trailer. Then I saw the next 5 trailers all with different scenes from the movie and I figure I've pretty much seen the whole movie now. So I'm done then.

Way to go... trailer dudes.
Quote from: Something Witty on Gabbly
Who is backstagebetty? A slut. But who?

sparl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2007, 11:31 »

actually, the trailers do a shitty job showing how funny the movie is. The punchlines are so much better in context.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2007, 18:25 »

I actually saw it this morning...and he's mostly right, a lot of the punchlines are better in context than in the trailers.  Just watching those three make asses of themselves while trying to get some is pretty funny.  I'm thinking a bit of it was probably ad-libbed, too.  The cops are pretty funny...it's worth seeing a matinee for, but not a Friday night out kind of thing.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2007, 09:52 »

i've decided i pretty much was michael cera's charecter in high school.
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

iliketodraw

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2007, 15:08 »

FUCK YO' COUCH!

SeanBateman

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2007, 15:47 »

Not seeing this movie is a dumb thing to do if you enjoy laughing.

I enjoy laughing, and I laughed really hard during this movie.

Definitely see it.

"I flirt with you so hard in math class"

"Samesies!"

wm_star

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2007, 18:08 »

I think Judd Apatow is a genius with really terrible marketers.  He has done so many amazing things - the TV show Freaks and Geeks, and then later, Undeclared - were both cancelled after a single season even though they were brilliantly funny because the marketing was so terrible and no one watched the shows.  He's also the writer/director for 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up, both of which looked like utterly retarded fart-joke kinds of movies if you paid attention to the trailers, but were both wonderful comedies if you actually watched them.

Samesies (:-)) for Superbad.  The trailers are terrible, and really do not do the movie justice in any way.  It is a terrific study of being a loser in high school and what high school friendships are about in a highly comedic way.  Yes, there is some physical comedy, and some crass humor, but it's all done in a refreshing and more subtle than average way.  I highly recommend, despite the shitty trailers.  Plus, Michael Cera RULES.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2007, 19:07 »

Judd Apatow and his cohorts are the best people working on comedies today. Hell, they're revitalizing the R rating for comedies and doing it WONDERFULLY. Best comedy I've seen since, well...Knocked Up.

I laughed so hard so often...the commercials neither showed the best parts nor did the movie any justice at all.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ravenbomb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2007, 19:13 »

"I'm gonna give you the best blow-jay! With my mouth!"

I don't recall the last time I laughed this hard at the movies.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2007, 19:28 »

I laughed so hard so often...the commercials neither showed the best parts nor did the movie any justice at all.

I thought the same thing about Knocked Up. I thought the trailers made the movie seem incredibly stupid, but after everyone else told me how great it was I went and saw it and laughed my ass off. I think it's just because they can't show any of the funny jokes on TV, for obvious reasons.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

MlKE

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2007, 20:38 »

"Samesies!"
I say words with "-sies" at the end, too. But I don't think I'm anywhere near as a big of a dork as that kid was.

The movie was awesome. I can't remember one part where I wasn't laughing.

jtheexploder

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2007, 21:23 »

prepare to be fucked by the long dick of the law!!

my favorite cops in film history.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2007, 10:37 »

"I assume you all have guns and crack!"
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2007, 08:33 »

"You have such a smooth cock!"
"Thanks, I'm sure you would too, if you were a man."
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2007, 15:46 »

I just got back from this movie. All kinds of funny going on all the time.

Basically I suck at movie reviews, so it was just totally awesome and everyone should go watch it if they want a lot of laughs. Yeah.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2007, 21:49 »

I have to agree with everyone.  It's pretty damn funny.  I thought it was actually pretty clever for the premise of the movie.

"I have a boner!"

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 26 Aug 2007, 22:24 »

So.

Many.

Penises.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #23 on: 26 Aug 2007, 23:44 »

I thought it was definitely funny, but to be honest I thought Knocked Up was better. Ultimately, Superbad sort of boils down to 'hey, look at these drunken people and the poor judgements they are making!' It definitely does that sort of humor well, but I guess I felt it was a little repetitive.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2007, 08:34 »

I thought it was fantastic.  The funniest movie I have seen in about three years. 

Oh, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, the guy who played Fogell, had never actually been in anything more than a school play before.  The guy just won an audition with some friends and ended up getting the part.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2007, 10:26 »

McLovin's our friend!  We shouldn't block his cock.  We should guide his cock.

kablaaamo

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2007, 06:42 »

I think I'm the only person who didn't like this movie.....but let me explain that. I'm no troll.

I fell in love with Michael Cera. McLovin and the cops were hilarious. I laugh at pretty much any dick joke.

HOWEVER: I really really just wanted to knock out Jonah Hill. He was supposed to be a jerk, obviously, but if a movie is supposed to be (at least partially) about friendship.....Seth's a really really shitty friend. Pretty much everything he did made me hate him more and I was pretty furious walking out of the movie. You just DON'T ditch your friends (when he ditched Fogel)...you don't prioritize getting some ass at the total expense of your friends (when he makes Evan do...what he has to do for half the movie, go to shady parties, the like)....you don't try to pretty much rape women after you get them drunk (poor Jules).....seriously. Also, Jonah's voice is whiny and the character complained for the whole fucking movie. Irritating, but I could've dealt if it wasn't for him being utterly horrible otherwise...and I could've dealt better if he wasn't one of the main characters, mucking up every second scene.

That is why I didn't like Superbad.

supertankguy

• Plantmonster
  • o hai
« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2007, 11:28 »

I saw it last weekend and loved it from opening Orson Wells joke to the penis montage.  I've found that now if I ever want to laugh I just have to recall the image of the penis riding the bomb a la Dr. Strangelove.

I think Jonah Hill's character was meant to be a whiny asshole as a setup for his epiphany at the party where he 'saved' Evan.  I also thought it was nice that they took each of the boys wanted and flipped it so that Jules didn't get drunk with Seth and Evan was left with a very drunk and horny Becca.  The subtlety of some of the jokes made me want to see it again to try to catch anything I had missed.  And that's really something I can't say about most recent comedies.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2007, 11:55 »

I think I'm the only person who didn't like this movie.....but let me explain that. I'm no troll.

I fell in love with Michael Cera. McLovin and the cops were hilarious. I laugh at pretty much any dick joke.

HOWEVER: I really really just wanted to knock out Jonah Hill. He was supposed to be a jerk, obviously, but if a movie is supposed to be (at least partially) about friendship.....Seth's a really really shitty friend. Pretty much everything he did made me hate him more and I was pretty furious walking out of the movie. You just DON'T ditch your friends (when he ditched Fogel)...you don't prioritize getting some ass at the total expense of your friends (when he makes Evan do...what he has to do for half the movie, go to shady parties, the like)....you don't try to pretty much rape women after you get them drunk (poor Jules).....seriously. Also, Jonah's voice is whiny and the character complained for the whole fucking movie. Irritating, but I could've dealt if it wasn't for him being utterly horrible otherwise...and I could've dealt better if he wasn't one of the main characters, mucking up every second scene.

That is why I didn't like Superbad.

People act like this in high school.  I knew dozens, maybe hundreds, of people that acted like this in high school.  The fact that the movie could have interactions that I remember from high school and still have 2 cops and a 16 year old shooting at a flaming car, as well as the aforementioned penis montage is one of the elements that made it awesome for me.  I need to buy this movie.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2007, 12:07 »

Yeah, there were at least half a dozen exchanges from this movie that I could see my friends having. That's part of why it was awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2007, 12:34 »

This movie had the funniest dialogue since Clerks. One of the best films I've seen in theatres. I almost died from laughing too hard during the montage.

"Dicks? Like man dicks?"

flyingtoast

« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2007, 13:20 »

Ya, the movie is actually truer to high school than most modern movies.  The party, the references to college, even just the every day interactions.

I thought Jonah Hill was really funny.  He and Michael Cera worked well together, and while his character choices made the character sort of whiny, that just added to the hilarity.  The film is a little crude and probably not for everyone, but if that's a style of comedy you can appreciate then you will fall in love with Superbad.

thepugs

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2007, 18:58 »

Amazing.  Incredibly so.

I may see it again.

"Okay, it's okay.  She wants to suck your penis."

kablaaamo

« Reply #33 on: 29 Aug 2007, 05:20 »

People act like this in high school.  I knew dozens, maybe hundreds, of people that acted like this in high school.

Seriously? I must've gone to a weird high school then....because the characters all seemed like stereotypes I'd never met. That's probably also part of why I didn't like the movie all that much.

As a side note, Superbad is the new Napoleon Dynamite. Prepare for mass overquoting in general conversation!

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2007, 08:38 »

I don't know what kind of high school you went to, but I have met a hundred Seths in my lifetime.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

supertankguy

• Plantmonster
  • o hai
« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2007, 08:56 »

I hope it doesn't become over-quoted, that has ruined many good movies for me.  :x

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 29 Aug 2007, 22:48 »

Saw it tonight.

I feel a need to congratulate everyone involved for making such an excellent movie.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug 2007, 06:55 »

It's a bit strange...I think because it's a movie that resonates with a lot of people (aka not a parody), I couldn't really remember a lot of quotes the first time I saw it. The second time was much better because I think now that I kind of knew what was going to happen, I could focus on the dialoge more.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2007, 08:36 »

Well, even though Seth Rogen wrote it, it feels like an Apatow production; that is to say, the reason it resonates is that the emotion isn't forced or tawdry.

Between Rogen & Apatow and, on the other side of the pond, Pegg & Wright, 2007 has dragged comedy up by its bootstraps and forced it to respect its audience. What makes me even happier is that both teams' films were incredibly successful, and therefore this new breed of comedy has a remarkably high profile.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2007, 08:41 by Johnny C »

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #39 on: 01 Sep 2007, 18:22 »

Started watching it this afternoon. Came back from the worst great night ever and saw the last half, and now I feel a lot better. It was not at all what I'd expected. No bad guy to compete against, no stirring speeches, no major discernible metamorphoses... just a nice, chill, funny, v. well-written script and some great actors. Those cops were possibly the best cops ever to appear in any movie.

This was def. the high-point of my teen-flick binge, and the only thing I didn't enjoy about it was the insane longing for a time-machine it provoked in me. I can see now that highschool coulda been hella more exciting :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #40 on: 02 Sep 2007, 02:36 »

Finally saw the movie tonight, and for me it was a bit hit-or-miss.  To be fair, it was mostly hits, and it hit hard when it did, but there were more than a couple punchlines that fell flat for me.  However, the rest of the movie was so good that I forget what the bombs were.  Michael Cera is the hero of my past self.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #41 on: 04 Sep 2007, 15:37 »

Oh man. Seth is one of my favourite movie characters from this year precisely because he is not the most likable protagonist. The film turns partially into a redemption story because of this, which is an added layer of nuance to an already deep film.

thepugs

« Reply #42 on: 04 Sep 2007, 15:43 »

Plus, there were dick jokes.

But in all honesty, this was a wonderful film.  What few moments spent not laughing were spent cringing in embarrassment for the characters, which only made everything funnier.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #43 on: 04 Sep 2007, 16:12 »

Rogen and Apatow are doing a roundtable as part of the New Yorker festival.  I'm trying to get tix.

malfeasance

« Reply #44 on: 14 Oct 2007, 03:46 »

I think Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen are the only things keeping American teen comedy from becoming like a Three Stooges marathon except Curly is played by Jessica Alba (yeah you all know the movie I mean). Those guys are making movies that are actually funny, not just knee-jerk, while at the same time staying light and low brow. I hope to see a lot more movies from them

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #45 on: 14 Oct 2007, 09:39 »

Curly is played by Jessica Alba (yeah you all know the movie I mean)

Are you sure you don't mean Jessica Biel?  Like, from the recent lowbrow comedy "I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry?"
I know, they are both young women and called Jessica.  How confusing.

malfeasance

« Reply #46 on: 14 Oct 2007, 21:31 »

I actually no, before you get high and mighty. I'm talking about Jessica Alba in "Good Luck Chuck".

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #47 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:08 »

I have never even heard of that movie and it looks terrible.
Just out of curiosity - who are Larry and Moe?

malfeasance

« Reply #48 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:13 »

You know I noodled long and hard on something amusing here but someone replaced my funnies with blanks. Point is the only difference is that now one of the comedic leads is a hot girl and the trailer always hints at nudity, which of course is never delivered.

camelpimp

« Reply #49 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:42 »

Apparently Jessica Alba will not do nudity, causing teenaged males everywhere untold anguish.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up