THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 May 2024, 01:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what book would you like to see as a movie  (Read 18033 times)

gytaar

what book would you like to see as a movie
« on: 06 Sep 2007, 11:16 »

i would really like to see a movie version of neil gaiman and terry pratchetts "good omens"
fantastic book...
and i would really like to see a burning car with no wheels hover above the road :-D
and it would be really cool if they could fit the footnotes into the movie somehow

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: what book would you like to see as a movie
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2007, 11:29 »

i would love to see someone try to make Dan Simmons' Hyperion series into an epic quadrilogy. key word being "try" because no one could do it justice. but i wouldn't bitch and complain if someone tried and failed; i'd still have the books.

....now that i think about it....the first book could potentially be made into seven or eight movies all on it's own. i don't think this is a good idea.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2007, 13:37 »

I think both deserve movies...apparently at one point there were plans to have a Good Omens movie with Robin Williams as Aziraphale and Edward Norton as Crowley, and Terry Gilliam was signed on to direct, but it never got through.

I think they need to redo The Neverending Story.  Atreyu is supposed to be GREEN.  The actor playing Atreyu didn't like wearing the paint.  Pansy.

I don't know, man...considering the amount of books I can go through, there are a lot of movies that should be made from books...Stranger in a Strange Land comes to mind.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2007, 14:44 »

all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #4 on: 06 Sep 2007, 16:08 »

blood meridian.

although i dont think mccarthy's writing translates well to film and it would be incredibly difficult to pull off. the world where they do this and they do this right is fictional and highly idealized...

maybe an hbo miniseries?
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Cpt.Oats

« Reply #5 on: 06 Sep 2007, 21:51 »

I'd love to see another one of Chuck Palahniuk's books on the screen.  I read "Choke" a while ago and absolutely loved it. 

Postino

« Reply #6 on: 07 Sep 2007, 01:23 »

Personally I would love to see Gaiman's Anansi Boys as a movie or Pratchett's Thud. Either would be fantastic.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2007, 01:39 »

I actually want to see Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic turned into a movie.    Timothy Hunter was my hero.

Perhaps even American Gods.

Has Neil Gaiman had any part in any movies other than Mirrormask ?
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2007, 10:37 »

stardust :)  also, he wrote the script (or at least helped) for the upcomming Beowulf.  He also wrote the English translation for Princess Mononoke.  AND before Neverwhere was a book, it was a BBC miniseries.
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #9 on: 07 Sep 2007, 12:03 »

Wow, now I may just have to go out and watch Stardust

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 07 Sep 2007, 13:11 »

Either Chuck Pahlanuiks most cinematicly Do-able book Survivor, or maybe one of the books by Tim Doresey, his books are a lot like Carl Hiassen but more violent and psychotic.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #11 on: 07 Sep 2007, 13:16 »

I never ever want to see my favorite books as movies.

I am mortified that they're making His Dark Materials into a movie. gagh.

Sometimes, I think the script writers don't even read the book. Like with Eragon. My god. Or Harriet the Spy. You guys remember that?
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

Mnementh

« Reply #12 on: 07 Sep 2007, 17:07 »

I'm pretty sure Eragon sucked. I mean both the book and the movie.

But the movie had comedic value.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 07 Sep 2007, 17:57 »

I don't know, man...considering the amount of books I can go through, there are a lot of movies that should be made from books...Stranger in a Strange Land comes to mind.
If they did it well enough, that could be fantastic.

As for me...
"Phantom" by Susan Kay
"Death Be Not Proud" by John Gunther (it needs to be re-made, anyways)
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Baggy

« Reply #14 on: 07 Sep 2007, 19:06 »

I'd love to see them turn The Wheel of Time series into an epic multi-installment movie series like Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings but I think there might be far too much information in each book.

I can't imagine anyone finding a way to satisfactorily cram 800-1100 pages into a 3 hour movie.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #15 on: 07 Sep 2007, 20:15 »

If someone could do a well adapted screenplay of it, I'd love to see someone do a movie of something by Gregory Maguire. Preferably not Wicked, as it's a musical already, but Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister or Mirror Mirror would be interesting.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 07 Sep 2007, 23:25 »

Kafka on the Shore, just to see how messed up they could make all the wierd things that happened in that book

shinytoydragon

« Reply #17 on: 08 Sep 2007, 00:18 »

wow, it has been a while since i have read any good books worth making into movies.

IMOP, the HP series didn't need to have screenplays written (or even the movies made, by extension). One book that i would like to see as a movie is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. damn good book, but due to the huge amount of antigravity/outer space scenes in the book, a lot of CGI would need to be used.

also, the Weather Watcher series might make good movies. i haven't read any of them after the first book, but it was good and kept my interest the whole 5 hours i was reading it.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #18 on: 08 Sep 2007, 08:42 »

The Ender's Game script has been knocked around and rewritten three times or so, and I think it recently entered pre-production.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #19 on: 08 Sep 2007, 09:47 »

I'd like to see a rock opera based on Kafka's Metamorphosis.

I also wouldn't mind seeing City Infernal by Edward Lee as a film. And they could do it in about 2 and a half hours as well.

Alternatively the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant would make a pretty good trilogy. Two trilogies actually but they'd have to give it a Lord of The Rings type treatment.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Neuvost

« Reply #20 on: 08 Sep 2007, 11:18 »

The Ender's Game script has been knocked around and rewritten three times or so, and I think it recently entered pre-production.
Man, I'm pretty sure I first heard they were making an Ender's Game film five or six years ago. Been a long time coming on that one.

I'd like to see Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles as a movie. Making a collection of short stories into a feature film sounds like suicide, but I think if the right writer and director did it it could be tied all together for an amazing film.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #21 on: 08 Sep 2007, 19:33 »

Haters, its a book aimed at young adults, it would make an awesome movie.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Postino

« Reply #22 on: 09 Sep 2007, 10:00 »

They need to remake Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 with good actors and a better script. It was an excellent book but the movie was terrible. I would also love to see Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes made into a movie. That would be such a cool and creepy kids horror story.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #23 on: 09 Sep 2007, 11:16 »

Something Wicked This Way Comes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086336/
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #24 on: 09 Sep 2007, 11:38 »

I would love to see The Secret History done correctly. Or perhaps Momo. That would certainly appeal to my whimsical side and take me straight back to childhood.

Of course, in a way, I don't like to see books that I really love made into movies because it makes it easier for people not to put forth the effort to read the damned book.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #25 on: 09 Sep 2007, 22:07 »

They need to remake Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 with good actors and a better script. It was an excellent book but the movie was terrible.

They did, it was called Equilibrium.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #26 on: 09 Sep 2007, 22:18 »

I would love to see The Secret History done correctly.
I could get behind that.

Like, sexually.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2007, 00:14 »

The Great and Secret Show. The Clive Barker stuff that has already been done was pretty cool (Hellraiser, Nightbreed, Lord of Illusions) but they all look kind of dated at this point. Something insanely creepy and sexual like The Great and Secret Show or even Weaveworld would make an awesome fantasy film.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2007, 03:18 »

Wow, now I may just have to go out and watch Stardust

You should, stardust was a very nice surprise.

"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Pelay

« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2007, 03:19 »

I never ever want to see my favorite books as movies.

I am mortified that they're making His Dark Materials into a movie. gagh.

Sometimes, I think the script writers don't even read the book. Like with Eragon. My god. Or Harriet the Spy. You guys remember that?

Harriet the Spy was a great book my favorite for a while in fact.  But I don't think the movie was terrible, I remember really loving it at like age 10.  And the His Dark Materials looks more promissing than the most recent HP.  I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up though, or I'll have another Ella Enchanted on my hands...THAT was disapointing.

Postino

« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2007, 03:56 »

They need to remake Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 with good actors and a better script. It was an excellent book but the movie was terrible.

No... *smacks alphanumeric generic name on nose* back to your cave for advocating that movie as a Fahrenheit 451 remake.

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2007, 07:56 »

No... *smacks alphanumeric generic name on nose* back to your cave for advocating that movie as a Fahrenheit 451 remake.

It was...  The only difference was what happened because of the wife, and the ending was changed to something a little more 'studio'... I didn't think it was nearly as bad as you seem to.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2007, 08:06 »

I'll have another Ella Enchanted on my hands...THAT was disapointing.
That movie made me want to cry. For reals. I totally fell in love with that book when I was like 13 and have read it so many times...and then they ruined. Ack!

I want to see Self-Made Man as a film...documentary style. It would be awesome. I just finished it yesterday, and I really liked it.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2007, 11:07 »

Speaking of Hyperion....

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/movies.htm

man, i hope that actually works out. you have made my day, sir.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2007, 15:08 »

I'm really disappointed about the Dark Is Rising movie coming out (See Seeker.) because that series was a part of my childhood. This looks like a Nick original movie.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2007, 16:52 »

Hey, whatever happened to the Artemis Fowl movie? I thought that was supposed to come out , like, 2 years ago (or more).
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2007, 23:39 »

I'll tell you what books Sci-Fi channel should have stayed the fuck away from.

I hear there's a Studio Ghibli film on the books, though I think it'll be a while until I can get my hands on it.

Really, what Terry Pratchett said about Neil Gaiman in the afterward to Good Omens is pretty much true. He's such a visually-inclined writer that most of his books could really come alive on a screen under the right direction (see Stardust).

I, for one, would like to see a good William Gibson novel adaptation. Pattern Recognition, perhaps. It was going to be made, and now isn't, I understand.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:36 »

I hear there's a Studio Ghibli film on the books, though I think it'll be a while until I can get my hands on it.

There is. http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/ It came out last summer, but now we have to patiently wait for it to come overseas.

Postino

« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:45 »

From what I hear Miyazaki was pissed that his son worked on the Earthsea series. I also understand that Ghibli took a lot of artistic liberty with the film. Personally I am looking forward to Miyazaki's new film Ponyo something or other.

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
  • my SimCity's bigger than your SimCity
    • last.fm
« Reply #39 on: 12 Sep 2007, 19:40 »

Gibson's Pattern Recognition fo sho. With Keely Hawes from Spooks, etc as Cayce. I'm sure she could do an American accent.

The Ghibli Earthsea film was FUCKING AWFUL. i was pretty crushed.

I think any movie production of His Dark Materials will fuck up unforgivably by erasing the atheist themes to get funding/audience in the USA.

I'd like to see Artemis Fowl and Ender's Game movies but they're just as likely to be awful as awesome so i'll survive if they never happen.
Hey, it looks like I am irrevocably damned, I should probably get some dancing in.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #40 on: 12 Sep 2007, 20:06 »

I don't know if I want to see Ender's Game as a movie. They'd have to find a bunch of child actors that could play roles more suited to adults and there would be soooo much CGI. But if it was pulled off well, it'd be flipping fantastic and awesome. I'm curious to see the giant game landscape just as much as the battles.

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #41 on: 13 Sep 2007, 18:05 »

Yakitate!! Japan: A graphic novel about the adventures of Azuma, who makes bread. Competitively.  And has hot coworkers (see above).
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2007, 08:26 »

The Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser would be a very interesting book series to see done as movies.

For those unfamiliar with the concept behind the series Harry Flashman is a coward, bully and general lout, who by mischance ends up having to become the great Victorian hero, and has to play along or be ruined in society.  The first boock starts out with young Harry getting thrown out of school and into the Army, and from their his misadventures as he drinks and fornicates his way into and out of the First Afghan War. 

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Garmr

« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2007, 08:42 »

They need to remake Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 with good actors and a better script. It was an excellent book but the movie was terrible. I would also love to see Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes made into a movie. That would be such a cool and creepy kids horror story.
I didn't think 451 was a bad movie.  It could have been better, I agree, but not a bad movie.  Something Wicked... hmm.  That could work.

Lines

• Awakened
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2007, 09:46 by Linds »

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #45 on: 17 Sep 2007, 13:03 »

I've been eagerly awaiting a Kavalier and Clay movie for years now. Supposedly it will be made, but it sure is taking a long time.

Hobbs

« Reply #46 on: 17 Sep 2007, 13:06 »

A good adaptation of The Stand to screen. If it was done right that would be one of the most epic movies ever.

Also a Discword movie would be great, but only if it was an original tale written by Pratchett for the big screen.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #47 on: 17 Sep 2007, 13:30 »

A good adaptation of The Stand . . .[etc]

WHAT!? You mean you didn't like the shitty, made-for-tv version!? Unthinkable. I love that movie.

shinytoydragon

« Reply #48 on: 19 Sep 2007, 22:42 »

Also a Discword movie would be great, but only if it was an original tale written by Pratchett for the big screen.

What was Discworld? or did you mean Ringworld? I guess I will go and google discworld now, see what it was/ about.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #49 on: 20 Sep 2007, 21:21 »

The Dark is Risin-- oh wait, snap! I'm so excited for this, now if they could just get some Philip Pullman on to the silver---oh yeah, I seem to hear plenty about that too.

My life is actually complete and I couldn't care less if another movie was made after these two series, as long as they're done well. It's amazing really how I think Lord of the Rings (and I know of the mixed feelings on the subject) really opened the door for epic fantasy stories to be translated to the big screen.

But if I really wanted a book or book series beyond that I'd go with Orson Scott Card's Earthbound series over the Ender Series any day.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up