THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 Jun 2024, 02:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BDO 2008 - Die! Die! Die! + Arcade Fire!!!!  (Read 22868 times)

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
BDO 2008 - Die! Die! Die! + Arcade Fire!!!!
« on: 01 Oct 2007, 22:46 »

update 2

Rage Against the Machine

Björk

Grinspoon

Arcade Fire

Hilltop Hoods

Billy Bragg

Paul Kelly

LCD Soundsystem

Sarah Blasko

Faker

Midnight Juggernauts

Dizzee Rascal

Something with Numbers

Battles

Cut Off Your Hands

silverchair

Spoon

Augie March

Brand New

Regurgitator

Anti-Flag

Karnivool

Carl Cox

Pnau

Kate Nash

Josh Pyke

beXta

Shy Child

Gyroscope

Enter Shikari

Operator Please

UNKLE (live)

Goodwill

Krafty Kutz and MC Dynamite

Die! Die! Die!

The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello acoustic)

Blue King Brown

Dr Octagon with Kutmasta Kurt

British India

Aceyalone

Krill
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 17:49 by Gridgm »
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
Re: BDO 2007 - RATM + Arcade Fire!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2007, 22:48 »

I was just about to post this.

And oh, I AM GOING GUYSES

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: BDO 2008 - RATM + Arcade Fire!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2007, 23:01 »

Battles

You might want to stand right in front of the drummer, but you'll risk your ears/mind being blown.

That looks like a pretty damn fun line up.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2007, 23:01 »

Fucking Big Day Out. Every year I think "its a horrible experience, I'll just go to the sideshows" and there never are any sideshows in Brisbane because the BDO promoters are soulless arseholes.

The thing is, there are some bands I would definately like to see there, but I dont think I want to see them at the big day out.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2007, 23:08 »

um...i could've sworn the bands organiszed the side shows themselves, i wanna go to the arcade fire one not sure about any thing else i'm already seeing iron maiden in the same week as bdo already
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2007, 23:12 »

FUCK THIS IS THE GREATEST WEEK FOR NEWS- Radiohead and now this. I'm not sure they could get a better line up if they tried, i'm goin, i hate BDO but i'd be crazy to miss all these guys. Has Arcade Fire announced a sideshow in melbourne yet?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 01 Oct 2007, 23:14 »

The promotors of the Big Day Out typically make the headliners sign a clause saying they won't play a sideshow in Brisbane, as a result of the Gold Coast BDO never selling out. On the upside, the Arcade Fire are the only headliner band there that I'm particularly keen on, so I might still get a few shows out of this.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #7 on: 01 Oct 2007, 23:58 »

The thing is, there are some bands I would definately like to see there, but I dont think I want to see them at the big day out.

This is kinda how I feel too. I'd love to see the Arcade Fire, but out in a field in the afternoon sun? I don't think it would be quite right. Still, there're enough interesting artists (the three Bs: Bjork! Billy Bragg! Battles!) in the first announcement to make me go hmm.

(As in, consider going).

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2007, 01:13 »

Why do they still try to market this shit? Theres only one decent bandm and considering how old they are I'm not sure rage would even be a good show.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 02 Oct 2007, 01:23 »

If your goin to be such a naysayer can you please not post in the first place, evidently there are a fair few people who are excited so i don't see any justification for making pointless comments about how shit the bands are.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: 02 Oct 2007, 04:01 »

This isn't meant to be an insult, but I am so glad I don't live in Australia.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #11 on: 02 Oct 2007, 04:33 »

You might want to stand right in front of the drummer, but you'll risk your ears/mind being blown.

John Stanier. Looks like a Marine, plays like a Marine.

Ridiculous drummer, especially when he was in Helmet. On 'In the Meantime' he sounds like he is hitting drums with other bigger drums.

What the hell is with that one cymbal.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #12 on: 02 Oct 2007, 04:36 »

Damn RATM and Aracde Fire, damn you Australia with your far away-ness.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

öde

« Reply #13 on: 02 Oct 2007, 04:49 »

John Stanier. Looks like a Marine, plays like a Marine.

At Green Man he took his shirt off after the first song and was literally steaming for the rest of the show. There was a barrier between the stage and the crowd so I didn't get sweat flung onto me.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2007, 04:51 by öde »

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #14 on: 02 Oct 2007, 06:16 »

Fucking Big Day Out. Every year I think "its a horrible experience, I'll just go to the sideshows" and there never are any sideshows in Perth because the BDO promoters are soulless arseholes.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. I would love to see Bjork, I would love to see Battles, I would love to see the Arcade Fire and I would love to see Paul Kelly; just not at the BDO.

I can't really be bothered with festivals and I especially can't be bothered with the crowd that the big day out draws.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 02 Oct 2007, 08:27 »

What the hell is with that one cymbal.

To quote a Youtube comment on Battles that I read, "he's a beast."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #16 on: 02 Oct 2007, 14:52 »

Being from New Zealand, where we get next to no good bands ever coming here I am definitely going to BDO. This may be my only chance to see The Arcade Fire live.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #17 on: 02 Oct 2007, 15:29 »

Yeah, well I bet you would considering you're a leisurely train ride away from Wacken. I think European and American people need to understand that the occasional decent Splendour in the Grass/Falls Festival lineups aside, this is pretty much the best lineup any festival in Australia is ever going to get.

How depressing.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2007, 15:57 by Hat »

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 02 Oct 2007, 15:32 »

Yeah, well I bet you would considering you're a leisurely train ride away from Wacken. I think European and American people need to understand that the occasional decent Splendour in the Grass/Falls Festival lineups, this is pretty much the best lineup any festival in Australia is ever going to get.

How depressing.

My point exactly.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #19 on: 02 Oct 2007, 16:10 »

Why do they still try to market this shit? Theres only one decent bandm and considering how old they are I'm not sure rage would even be a good show.

If you think RATM are the only decent band in that lineup you are retarded.

Also, go see Slayer, Sonic Youth, Wilco, the Wrens, or even fucking Radiohead and tell me "old" people can't play good shows.

Back on topic: the must-sees for me would be LCD and Battles. Arcade Fire and Bjork would be fun but not required. TOO BAD I HATE FESTIVAL SHOWS AND DON'T LIVE IN AUSTRALIA EH
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #20 on: 02 Oct 2007, 20:00 »

I wonder how quickly it will sell out? In Perth, apparently the RATM side show sold in under a minute! There will probably be a lot of people buying BDO tickets just to see them. This city has a disproportionately large population of metalheads. (Hope I don't start an argument about whether Rage are metal or not...)

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #21 on: 02 Oct 2007, 23:50 »

If you think RATM are the only decent band in that lineup you are retarded.

Also, go see Slayer, Sonic Youth, Wilco, the Wrens, or even fucking Radiohead and tell me "old" people can't play good shows.

Back on topic: the must-sees for me would be LCD and Battles. Arcade Fire and Bjork would be fun but not required. TOO BAD I HATE FESTIVAL SHOWS AND DON'T LIVE IN AUSTRALIA EH

RATM is the onyl good band, all other claims are false logic. The rest aren't worth anyone seeing, let alone this type of publicity.

I never said RATM couldn't bring it due to theuir age, my concern is their break up has been for 8 or so years now, and I haven;'t heard "IMG RATM CAN STILL BRING IT" yet, no gaurentee they can.

Your list of old bands that 'can' perform is also chocking, slayer is terrible live, sonic youth and radioheads shows blow so much ass they are probably illegal in several small countries. The other two I'm not familiar with.

CONCLUSION - It is not worth is money, sun burn or bad music to go see RATM, I'll wait till they tour a venue worth seeing, Festival hall does not fit this decription.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 02 Oct 2007, 23:54 »

God why can't you spell or participate in a fucking conversation

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #23 on: 03 Oct 2007, 01:59 »

You know, the crowd will be pretty bad. Half idiot kids in Che shirts, half indie fags. I don't know if seeing Arcade Fire (which are good but not *that* good) is worth sitting in the sun all day listening to bad bands and getting annoyed by said Che Shirt kids/indie fags. Hmmm.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #24 on: 03 Oct 2007, 02:05 »

Honestly, the typical BDO punters piss me off more than those two cliques. At least I can assume those two groups are there for the music, for a given definition of "for the music", but every fucking year there are always a huge crowd of dickheads who push people around in the moshpits, get drunk as hell, and just generally cause trouble for the people who just want to enjoy some bands. I really am anticipating trouble because in my experience, most of these "typical punters" are also massive RATM fans and basically that is going to be a crowd with some problems because it will be the highest density of arseholes in this country since the last One Nation party meeting.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:20 »

indie fags

Does anyone else automatically assume people who say things like this are wastes of breath? I know I do.

I am also rather disappointed nobody has been discussing the presence at this festival of Billy Bragg and Dizzee Rascal. They're blatantly the best things on that line-up, although apparently Battles are insanely good live. I just wish their gigs didn't always sell out in about a minute round here.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:42 »

I'm going. Mainly to see Bjork, as Bjork's only other show in Sydney is limited to 5000 capacity. Also, Billy Bragg (anyone know which band he's likely to play with these days?) and Dizzzeeee Rascal as above. Also, I used to be in a RATM covers band when I was 16, so I might wallow in some nostalgia. A dank pit of warm, moist, angry nostalgia...

Seriously, this is an unusually good line up for Australia.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #27 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:46 »

Honestly, the typical BDO punters piss me off more than those two cliques. At least I can assume those two groups are there for the music, for a given definition of "for the music", but every fucking year there are always a huge crowd of dickheads who push people around in the moshpits, get drunk as hell, and just generally cause trouble for the people who just want to enjoy some bands. I really am anticipating trouble because in my experience, most of these "typical punters" are also massive RATM fans and basically that is going to be a crowd with some problems because it will be the highest density of arseholes in this country since the last One Nation party meeting.

That's probably true. I've only ever been to one Big Day Out, though, and I did nothing but get really close to the stage and stay there for Metallica (I was a really, really huge fanboy back then.).

Here's an odd question- what do you do at an Arcade Fire concert? You can't really mosh, but standing still doesn't seem right either, but it's kind of hard to imagine everyone breaking out in dancing, as it'll probably be packed too tight for that.

Does anyone else automatically assume people who say things like this are wastes of breath? I know I do.

a pack of wolves = indie fag.  :police:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:50 »

It's probably because you're an indie fag.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #29 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:54 »

Here's an odd question- what do you do at an Arcade Fire concert? You can't really mosh, but standing still doesn't seem right either, but it's kind of hard to imagine everyone breaking out in dancing, as it'll probably be packed too tight for that.

My guess? Everyone cries and hugs each other.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 03 Oct 2007, 05:10 »

You also get a few really annoying people who need to shove in front of you because Arcade Fire understands them.  You break those people.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #31 on: 03 Oct 2007, 06:07 »

My housemate and I are planning on going. Although I don't really like festivals all that much, there are enough good bands in the line-up to tempt me. That and I've been hanging out for far too long now for the Arcade Fire to come to Australia. I'm not put off by the presence of Rage Against the Machine fans: as I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Rage Against the Machine, I'll be hanging out at the other stages catching the likes of Billy Bragg (haven't seen Braggy in years, and never at a festival). In fact, if Rage are the headline act, I'll probably leave before their set starts.

I'm a little miffed that for the past two years the Melbourne B.D.O. has been shit, but only ten minutes walk from my house, but now it's got the best line-up they've had in yonks, and it's stuck out at bloody Flemington.

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #32 on: 03 Oct 2007, 06:28 »

You know, the crowd will be pretty bad. Half idiot kids in Che shirts, half indie fags. I don't know if seeing Arcade Fire (which are good but not *that* good) is worth sitting in the sun all day listening to bad bands and getting annoyed by said Che Shirt kids/indie fags. Hmmm.

Well said, and good point!

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 03 Oct 2007, 07:10 »

Are people who are past puberty allowed to like Rage Against the Machine?

Is this a biological possibility?

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #34 on: 03 Oct 2007, 07:13 »

Yes.

Are people so conceited capable of logic?

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #35 on: 03 Oct 2007, 07:36 »

RATM haters make valid points in this thread. I never really thought about it before. Here's some maths to prove RATM is pretty crap:

RATM= rap metal with a really annoying frontman and a somewhat unconventional guitarist, with activist themes.

Limp Bizkit= rap metal with a really annoying frontman and a somewhat unconventional guitarist.

Limp Bizkit= suck.

Activist Themes= Suck.

Therefore, RATM= Limp Bizkit x Activist Lyrics.

So, RATM= Suck2

It's maths! You can't disprove this kind of stuff.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #36 on: 03 Oct 2007, 07:57 »

Well it's an odd situation. When I saw them at the Tower Theater in Philly, the seated show quickly became a standing show and what followed was kinda-sorta-semi moshing with a lot of people jumping up and down and screaming the lyrics slightly out of sync and terribly out of tune.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 03 Oct 2007, 08:28 »

There's also a bit of watching in awe while some of them climb parts of the stage, use each other's helmeted heads as drums, shout wildly, intermingle with the crowd, play a large variety of instruments, etc.  There's so much to watch that I haven't really felt a huge urge to do much else either time I've seen them.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 03 Oct 2007, 09:36 »

RATM is the onyl good band, all other claims are false logic. The rest aren't worth anyone seeing, let alone this type of publicity.

Your list of old bands that 'can' perform is also chocking, slayer is terrible live, sonic youth and radioheads shows blow so much ass they are probably illegal in several small countries. The other two I'm not familiar with.

I'm almost wondering if you are talking about entirely different bands and an entirely different festival lineup here. In fact, I think you have to be.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #39 on: 03 Oct 2007, 09:49 »

I'm not sure he's really speaking english.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #40 on: 03 Oct 2007, 10:02 »

Well, he misspelled "jhocking" but I'm willing to let that one slide.

fogelsong

« Reply #41 on: 03 Oct 2007, 11:52 »

This is kinda how I feel too. I'd love to see the Arcade Fire, but out in a field in the afternoon sun? I don't think it would be quite right.

I saw them at Austin City Limits Festival a couple years ago.  The sun was directly behind the stage, it was ~4pm, so I was staring into the sun the whole time, and it was 108(42 C) degrees!  Somehow, it worked, despite the ridiculous heat, copious amounts of sweat, and inability to keep sunblock on my skin thanks to the heat and sweat.  Looking back, I wouldn't go through that experience again.  The Arcade Fire is good, but not *that* good.

öde

« Reply #42 on: 03 Oct 2007, 14:04 »

OH MY GOD STOP HAVING OPINIONS

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #43 on: 03 Oct 2007, 14:10 »

EVERY TIME YOU HAVE AN OPINION GOD KILLS A PERSON FOR THEIR OPINIONS

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #44 on: 03 Oct 2007, 14:15 »

The lineup doesn't look bad but I really hate the kind of people who go to BDO. I haven't been since 1999 and haven't really seen the need to since. I just can't justify paying $120+ to see only a couple of bands. I would really only want to see RATM and I need to really like at least 4 bands to pay that much money.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #45 on: 03 Oct 2007, 14:21 »

it was 108(42 C) degrees!

despite the ridiculous heat

Punters at the Gold Coast Big Day Out consider a 42 degree day to be a pleasantly mild day for a festival.

I'm just trying to construct a mental image of how fucking horrible this festival is.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #46 on: 03 Oct 2007, 15:20 »

I hope that helps!

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #47 on: 03 Oct 2007, 16:32 »

I'm almost wondering if you are talking about entirely different bands and an entirely different festival lineup here. In fact, I think you have to be.

Nope, I know the bands, I know the festival grounds. I know what I want to see and this isn't it. I know whats good, and this certainly isn't it. Rage aren't even that much of an attraction anyway - theres NO reason to brave the kind of sunburn conditions and no doubt annoying bogans populating this 'music' festival.

Drunk bogans, combined with drunk annoying activists, plus a lot of 100 degree weather, plus NO actual music to go see well there really isn't any reason anyone should be contemplating going. It's my duty as the moral upright citizen I am to try and stop as many QC fans as I can.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 03 Oct 2007, 16:36 »

Please don't.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #49 on: 03 Oct 2007, 16:44 »

plus a lot of 100 degree weather

Are you even Australian?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up