THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 02:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.  (Read 199308 times)

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« Reply #450 on: 28 Aug 2008, 17:09 »

Ok, so the Brian Jonestown Massacre gig was pretty good!

They're really uh... "relaxed" on stage, though. So much so that they spent about 5-10 minutes talking complete shit in between songs. Also, it was Anton's birthday, so the crowd sang happy birthday. He seemed moderately pleased by this.

The supports were pretty damn awesome, also. The Black Ryder is a band consisting of two members of the Morning After Girls, and a bunch of guest people from other bands, like the Laurels and Brian Jonestown. They play kinda shoegazey stuff, I guess.

Go see them! 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #451 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:56 »

I just got back from the ACL aftershow with Crooked Fingers. And Man Man. AND OKKERVIL ODKJAWODKJAWIJD RIVER.

I'm not going to talk about You-Know-Who tonight. All the lights around me are kind of oscillating between dim and bright and various tunes to nearly every song from Black Sheep Boy through The Stand Ins are swirling in my head to form the most perfect composition ever. So I'll talk about them tomorrow.

BUT, before I devote all tonight's memory cells to the one band, I'd like to talk about the openers.

Okay, so here's the scoop on Crooked Fingers: I had no idea who they were. They played some really weird songs to begin with involving really awful megaphones with enormous feedback problems, and lots of other random noise and static. If I was smiling, it was only to laugh at them (and possible at their two chicks, the bass player and the violinist/multi-instrumentalist, who were both pretty cute). But then they cut that crap out, gave the blonde her violin and started playing some slightly more straightforward, accessible and overall dance-able rock songs, with sensible vocals. They almost fully redeemed themselves by the end. Side note: I have been listening to their Myspace attempting to identify some of the songs I heard, but I can only assume that most of them were off their upcoming album (to be released in two weeks, although they were breaking the release date by selling it at the merch stand), because I only recognize "Crowned in Crime."

Re: Man Man. I have heard of them, and heard their songs, but never listened to a full album. And now that I have seen them live, I never want to, because I can imagine nothing on record that could compare and live up to the show I experienced tonight. It was, to the fullest (and most positive) sense of the word, a ridiculous display. They began setting up their instruments themselves (no roadies) while "The Hey Song" (that's right, the one played at stadiums during sports events) blared from the speakers. The members were enjoying themselves already, pumping their fists to each "Hey!" of the song, and tossing things back and forth between (or at) themselves. Then the song faded out, and... it came back again. And again. And again. Throughout their entire set-up and final sound check, the song must have repeated a dozen times. It began to get hilarious about the third song, and the crowd was really into it the fourth through seventh times around, but by then I think the members of the band realized it was beginning to grate. Perhaps they hadn't planned on taking so long to adjust volumes, because some of them were beginning to sound a little agitated. But then they went away, and a few minutes later, came back on stage with all white clothing and war paint.

All the agitation faded away.

They were set up facing each other (except for Chang Wang, who was off to the side a little but still joined in on others' mics when he didn't need to be playing his keys), with drummer Pow Pow across from vocalist fontman Honus Honus, in plain view (a refreshing contrast from most bands' philosophy of "hide-the-drummer"). They barely stopped playing throughout the whole set (I think Pow Pow might have been still all of ten seconds during the whole hour or so), and collectively they were the most energetic, playful musicians I could ever imagine. Honus Honus would be rocking back and forth at his keys, or standing up on his seat shouting into the mic, or running back and forth singing with his arms flailing about like a soul singer, or pulling away one of Pow Pow's tom toms and banging on it himself... it was all just, incredible. On that stage, those four men are one, both audibly and visibly.

In short, all five of my senses orgasmed tonight, before Okkervil River ever came on.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #452 on: 28 Sep 2008, 06:14 »

Ashers: Well..you've got the guy from The Unseen on vocals...and really, all street punk these days kinda sounds exactly alike. But I liked them more than when I saw the Unseen.

Flatfoot 56: I'd never even heard of them until they took the stage. They're a great Celtic punk band and I fucking enjoyed the shit out of their set. I am legitimately buying two or three of their shirts when I get some cash. Also, I managed to run into the frontman in a circle pit during Street Dogs, and he's a pretty rad guy.

Time Again: Wow, don't you guys sound like generic Rancid rip-offs. So glad they played a short set.

Street Dogs: I love Street Dogs, they're one of the better Boston punk bands, great on record..but dude. I was bored by their set. I left mid-way through. *sigh*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #453 on: 02 Oct 2008, 11:04 »

I went to Hot Chip in Monreal at Metropolis last night and it was amazing.  One of the best shows Ive ever been too, the place was packed and they put on an amazing show.  I couldnt get enough.  I danced hard enough for two regular people and had a grand time, it peaked at Over and Over, where everyone lost their shit.  And they closed out the set with an earnest rendition of Nothing Compares 2 U, it was beautiful.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #454 on: 03 Oct 2008, 09:35 »

i saw a wilhelm scream at the birmingham barfly back in january, and despite the place being over half-empty, it was easily one the best gigs i've ever experienced in my life.  the poor turnout didn't affect the band's performance in the slightest - i'm obviously slightly biased as they're one of my favourite bands, but in all seriousness, i've never seen a band so visibly enjoying themselves as much as those guys - constantly smiling, cracking jokes, and really down to earth guys (they came and chatted to everyone right after the set).  it's also worth mentioning that despite the ridiculously fast and technical stuff they're playing (and the fact that pretty much all of them contribute vocal-wise and so have to stay fairly near to a mic at almost all times) they were amazingly energetic.  it also helped that they their setlist was only a coupla songs away from being the absolute perfect setlist i'd been imagining.

seriously, anyone who's into punk or metal of any kind should check these guys out.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #455 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:44 »

Deerhoof! They are really entertaining live. The crowd was kinda horrible, though.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #456 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:15 »

There was a moshpit full of people who didn't really seem familiar with the practice. Au and Experimental Dental School opened, and they were good as well. Oh, also drunk people wouldn't shut the fuck up while Greg Saunier was stammering and trying to say stuff to the audience. Assholes.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #457 on: 15 Oct 2008, 04:17 »

I went to Hot Chip in Monreal at Metropolis last night and it was amazing.  One of the best shows Ive ever been too, the place was packed and they put on an amazing show.  I couldnt get enough.  I danced hard enough for two regular people and had a grand time, it peaked at Over and Over, where everyone lost their shit.  And they closed out the set with an earnest rendition of Nothing Compares 2 U, it was beautiful.

Are they much more energetic live than on record? I never got into The Warning, I found it not particularly dancey and quite calm.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #458 on: 15 Oct 2008, 23:23 »

Deerhoof! They are really entertaining live. The crowd was kinda horrible, though.

Man Deerhoof was so entertaining.  The insanity of Saunier.  The quirky interplay between Ed and Satomi.  Saunier stammering like an idiot.

And I was in a different venue (a theater), so I didn't have that whole fake mosh pit thing.  It was a little impersonal except for the people in the first row, though.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #459 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:06 »

Ugh. The "most pit."

I wanted to hurt them all. It was so annoying.
Liz is touching me.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #460 on: 16 Oct 2008, 16:06 »

I was trying to be an effective bit of perimeter but the whole time I had a cramp in my foot. It was awkward.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #461 on: 16 Oct 2008, 20:04 »

Alex, there is no way you were going to stop them. Besides, I think I would have been a better perimeter to protect you- you are kind of a small little dude.
Liz is touching me.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #462 on: 16 Oct 2008, 21:51 »

I hang my head slightly, but this is probably true. I hope this is not a problem.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #463 on: 16 Oct 2008, 22:28 »

It is okay. You are pretty alright dude!
Liz is touching me.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #464 on: 16 Oct 2008, 22:37 »

I am glad you think so. It is a happy thing. Have you decided whether or not you're going to TVOTR Tuesday?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #465 on: 16 Oct 2008, 22:39 »

I will go if I find someone to go with me, and only time will tell on that one.
Liz is touching me.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #466 on: 16 Oct 2008, 22:50 »

Aside from the fact of the drive, I should think that wouldn't be all that hard to do. TVOTR seem to be kind of big. Anyway, good luck with that.

Touch Me Im Sick

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
« Reply #467 on: 17 Oct 2008, 13:13 »

Van Halen + Iron Maiden + The Who = Edmonton's been good for shows lately

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #468 on: 17 Oct 2008, 23:03 »

Well I booked a Shearwater show at my school and it happened tonight. It was brilliant! They played in a very cool black box theater and the turnout/crowd excitement far exceeded my expectations. The band was truly grateful and said so repeatedly during and after the set over how well the show was going since i guess part of their planned tour had fallen through earlier and they had played a show a couple days ago that was pretty lame or something. Anyway they said the show really lifted their spirits and damn it if they didn't play like it. They rocked out. The energy was truly phenomenal, it sounded great, they played an awesome selection of songs (including, in the encore, a cover of "Going to California," which was prompted by someone jokingly shouting out, when the band asked for recommendations, "Led Zeppelin!" After briefly conversing, Jonathan Meiburg started playing the first few chords, said "I never turn down a dare" and the band launched into an awesome rendition of the song with the audience singing along), and generally were awesome. It was a long set to boot. I hung out and talked to the band after the show (since I had to clean up and strike the stage and such anyway) until they had to take off and they were all incredibly friendly people who were obviously completely devoted to their music and incredibly humble and genuine as well. It was cool to see them genuinely happy because of how well the show had gone. Anyway, long story short, they put on a phenomenal show, probably the best I've seen at school in my year and a half here, and I could not be happier. I got them all to sign a copy of "Palo Santo" that I picked up on vinyl and now I have it sitting on my desk with all sorts of personalized messages scrawled on it. Basically, see these guys live any chance you get. It's more than worth it.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #469 on: 18 Oct 2008, 07:41 »

Oh fuck you I am so jealous.
Liz is touching me.

imagist42

« Reply #470 on: 18 Oct 2008, 09:29 »

Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #471 on: 21 Oct 2008, 22:05 »

So! TVOTR were really, really, really good.  Opening for them was The Dirtbombs, who were pretty good, though basic nu-garage, probably not as much fun recorded as life.  TVOTR themselves were pretty different live than recorded too, actually.  Wrong Way, for example, was  lot faster and dancier, which was something of a trend.  The set came to a peak with Wolf Like Me, unsurprisingly, and the couple of songs after it gave the crowd a rest. Dave Sitek is fucking tireless; he plays so fast for so many songs, it's amazing.  The set was really well planned and ordered; my only complaint is that they didn't play "Dreams," because I love it so, but other than that, dang. I am satisfied and also slightly dazed.

imagist42

« Reply #472 on: 21 Oct 2008, 22:33 »

Crap. Does this mean I have do go see them on the 30th? Because I'd decided not to plan on it, but the new album already gave me doubts about that decision.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #473 on: 21 Oct 2008, 22:57 »

You don't have to do anything. But I think you'd enjoy it, if you went. I almost didn't go myself, actually, I was feeling rather depressed and blah prior to the bus ride there, but I figured since I'd already spent money on the ticket I may as well go and see what's up. It made my day into a quite fulfilling one, instead of the dreary and unproductive one it had been up to that point.

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating
« Reply #474 on: 22 Oct 2008, 00:54 »

I just saw Andrew Bird at the Largo here in LA.
It's a TINY 280 seat movie theatre style venue.

He debuted like 5 new songs.
live for the first time ever.
It was awesome.

just awesome.

The new album (which he just finished) is going to be really good.
And without further ado, I am done typing.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #475 on: 22 Oct 2008, 07:51 »

Ah fuck you too.

All you people and your awesome shows can shove it.
Liz is touching me.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #476 on: 22 Oct 2008, 13:59 »

After the fact, I am kind of glad to hear you didn't go because I was really worried you had gone I just hadn't been able to find you cus the crowd was so dense. That would have been sad.

suitupletsgo

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #477 on: 23 Oct 2008, 23:31 »

I saw Minus the Bear tonight, and I was actually pleasantly surprised with their performance. I'm not too into their newer stuff, but they played a couple of songs from their first album and they were just all around pretty damn tight.

the openers blew though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #478 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:17 »

Saw Funeral for a Friend the other night.

We were pretty late so we missed most of Attack Attack. What I did see didn't impress me.

In Case Of Fire seemed like the drummer was playing a different song to the rest of the band and the vocalist was singing in a different key.

Cancer Bats were good at what they did but it wasn't really my thing.

FFAF were really good - though I doubt they'd break my top 5 gigs. It took me back to five years ago when I was just a young emoshite. I still love those songs, man. And hey, they played all my favourite tunes from the new album, did 'Juno' instead of 'Juneau', and the guitarists were effectively giving a masterclass as the show went on. No '10:45 Amsterdam Conversation' but at least we got 'This Year's Most Open Heartbreak.' Also, they played 'Novella'! Holy shit!

Shame they only played for 90 minutes though. For a band with four albums, I think that's not much - but then admittedly the third album was fucking shite and they only played one song from it cause I think they realised this!

Honestly, I was more psyched about the gig cause I was going with my girlfriend. It was her first gig, and we had a hell of a time.

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #479 on: 25 Oct 2008, 10:58 »

So, I went and saw Shiny Toy Guns. Pretty much everything about it was horrible. In the future, I will not impulsively honor drunken promises to go to shows for bands I don't like.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #480 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:42 »

I went to see the Fall two weeks ago but never posted about it.

John Cooper Clarke was sick so didn't show up and Milophobia were crap but luckily only played for about twenty minutes. The Fall came on, MES staggered to the centre of the stage a minute later, obviously out of it, then left 20 minutes later and the band just played instrumentals for another 10 minutes. For £20...

Tommy was right.

Latte

« Reply #481 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:55 »

Just saw Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band last night.  Dunno about his standing with people anymore but it was a pretty damn good time, they were all energetic and played a great encore set.  Played stuff from the s/t and new songs from an EP they got out.  Opening acts were decent (The Like aren't AGSFB though...)
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2008, 12:59 by Latte »

Hljómalind

« Reply #482 on: 26 Oct 2008, 16:32 »

On Friday evening, I saw Aimee Mann, supported by The Submarines, at indigo2.

I like the venue: it's small enough to feel reasonably intimate (which, with someone like Mann, is needed for her quirky stage manner) but large enough to have decent acoustics. Her most devoted fans might have been slightly disappointed - stoned out "space jazz jam" interlude from the band while she fixed a technical difficulty, lots of new material, and a stumbling, five-attempt version of "Mr. Harris", with much prompting and only the piano accompanying - but otherwise, the show was a treat. Her band are super-tight, and she was pretty flexible with the set list (she added "Little Bombs" after "Little Tornadoes" - "I can deal with small, manageable catastrophes") and they really rocked out a couple of times. A haunting version of "Red Vines" was one of the highlights.

Her support was pretty decent, actually: chirpy indie pop from The Submarines, including the delightful "You, Me, & The Bourgeoisie". Definite influences from The Cure (who I later found out they've covered - "Boys Don't Cry" is on their Facebook page, and will be released on a Cure tribute album next year) and some of the songs had a distinct tinge of Cocteau Twins. Would see the band in their own right based on their albums.

Then, Friday night went to The Arches for the Mogwai afterparty. Aside from the insanely long wait to get in, it's a superb venue, and they had a bunch of really sound DJ sets: only saw the tail end of Fuck Buttons, but Caribou, Nathan Fake and (in particular) James Holden were all great. One of the guys from Mogwai did some entertaining and mildly improbable Public Enemy remixes.

tigrar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #483 on: 27 Oct 2008, 23:26 »

Just got back from The Faint.  Dear Lord, that was fun.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #484 on: 28 Oct 2008, 01:05 »

So I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing any more live music in '08, since all the future gigs/festivals I'm going to are January/February next year. Thus, a quick list of my favourite gigs of '08...

5. Modest Mouse (V Festival Sideshow)

Couldn't quite afford to go to V festival, as tempting as it was with The Rakes, Queens of the Stoneage, etc. So we ended up at the Modest Mouse sideshow, supported by Sparkadia and Hot Hot Heat. Sparkadia were awful as per their recorded stuff, and Hot Hot Heat were disappointing. But Modest Mouse put on an impressive two hour set with a sprawling set list. I hadn't really enjoyed a lot of the stuff on We Were Dead... until I saw them here. Impressive. Also Johnny Marr looked far younger than I would've expected.

4. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (Laneway Festival)

Probably the gig this year that I was most looking forward to. While it wasn't perfect - the crowd was all looking forward to the Presets who were up next - it was a damn good show, with an excellent setlist. Props to Alec Ounsworth (singer) who kept "The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" going despite the strap on his guitar breaking mid-song. Also "Clap Your Hands!" was both unexpected and awesome. Some dudes from another band - I believe Broken Social Scene, despite their set ending halfway through this one, so I can't be sure - joined them for "Satan Said Dance" and it was great.

3. The Polyphonic Spree (Splendour In The Grass)

I'd heard these guys were pretty amazing live, but their first half hour or so, all kitted up in their military style black gear, was impressive to watch but not that sonically amazing. Towards the end it really started to click, and had a great time with their last few songs, including an awesome cover of "Live and Let Die." They disappeared and I was pretty disappointed that it was over just as it as getting good - and then they turned up again, kitted up in their old school white robes, and let loose with another half hour or so of bliss. Was dancing like a loon at the back of the tent with my girlfriend, despite both of us only having a few drinks that day. "Light and Day" and their cover of "Lithium" were definitely the highlights.

2. Arcade Fire (Big Day Out)

Was originally planning on watching them from outside the D, so I could run off and catch as much of Battles as possible (stupid, stupid clash). Then they started playing and I just needed to get in. Great gig, great setlist. Best moment for me was when the organs kicked in for "Intervention," easily my favourite song of theirs, and goosebumps ran up my whole body. Though I could've done without the dude next to me going "PLAY INTERVENTION!" right after the song...

1. Okkervil River (Laneway Festival)

I wasn't overly familiar with Okkervil River before this gig, having only started listening to them because I knew they'd be at Laneway. I'd listened through Black Sheep Boy a few times, and had just started listening to a couple other albums. In hindsight, given how long they've toured for, it makes sense how amazing their live sound is, but it just blew me away. The highlight was undeniably the opening, where they started with a rocky version of "The President's Dead" that suddenly morphed into something else - then Sheff snarled over the guitars "I'm coming into your town" and goosebumps twice those I had at Arcade Fire's gig enveloped me. It still gives me chills thinking about it. The setlist was essentially perfect, right down to finishing up with "For Real"/"Westfall." Singlehandedly made me a fan, and I think they're the live band I look forward to seeing again most.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:
(aka Probably would have made the list if I'd seen a full set...)

Devo: (Splendour In The Grass)

I only caught the last twenty minutes or so of their set. My girlfriend and I had left the Polyphonic Spree, and were heading off to catch Tricky when the sound of Devo's guitars hit us, and we wordlessly agreed to see Devo instead. I'm not overly familiar or impressed by Devo's recorded works, but they had hands out the best guitar sound I'd ever heard going. And they rocked out pretty well for old dudes!

Battles: (Big Day Out)

I only caught the tail-end of this set, running over from Arcade Fire. catching I believe "Race: In" and, of course, "Atlas." "Atlas" was, unsurprisingly, amazing, and while I was dancing my ass off to it, I was also impressed by the skills of the musicians - the lead singer darting from guitar, to keyboard, to mixing board, looping vocals while he's at it. Admittedly I have no real knowledge of what he was up to, but it sure looked tricky.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #485 on: 29 Oct 2008, 02:22 »

Where do you live? I was in line at the D half an hour before Arcade Fire's set and about halfway into it but no luck getting in. So I went to see Battles but they weren't that good.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #486 on: 29 Oct 2008, 03:20 »

Where do you live? I was in line at the D half an hour before Arcade Fire's set and about halfway into it but no luck getting in. So I went to see Battles but they weren't that good.

Brisbane, so the Gold Coast BDO. The D was pretty good until, I dunno, two hours before Rage came on. Admittedly I got pretty lucky to sneak into the D that late; it opened up just after I started lining up and I was one of the last people in before it closed.

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating
« Reply #487 on: 29 Oct 2008, 03:25 »

I went to see Battles but they weren't that good.

I don't know about that specific show, But I have to say that Battles is one of the better shows I have been to. I saw them in a small club though and was standing maybe 15 people back from the stage.

But that show was just an absolute mindfuck for me.

(I still can't believe that I haven't seen the Arcade Fire yet)
And without further ado, I am done typing.

Dizzydes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #488 on: 31 Oct 2008, 21:25 »

i went to the new pornographers the other day and it was one of the best gigs i've been to in forever, under beirut but above broken social scene for sures...

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #489 on: 01 Nov 2008, 07:02 »

You. Saw. Three. Songs.

Of course Sheff was taking it easy at the beginning of the show, every band does! Start off slow, build it up and make the last half part of the show amazing, because that's what the audience is going to remember, instead of starting off with fireworks and going downhill from there. It makes sense doesn't it? Now, the show in august was different, because it was a festival, and they don't have the same amount of time as they have on a regular show. The delay was a shitty thing, and I'm sorry you missed some incredible moments, but you can't really "review" a show based only on the three first songs.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2008, 07:44 by Metope »
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #490 on: 01 Nov 2008, 07:42 »

Okay I have probably never been this disappointed in my life.

Jens, you should've come to see Street Dogs with me. Getting squished up against the stage during a slow, lackluster punk rock set is much more disappointing. Nevermind that it was the hometown stop of the tour.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #491 on: 01 Nov 2008, 09:49 »

Saw Kamelot last night. They aren't my favorite but they were quite rockin.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Metope

« Reply #492 on: 01 Nov 2008, 10:54 »

I know. I said "reviewing" because I lacked a better word for it. But they didn't start playing two hours after they were supposed to, they started playing two hours after the doors were supposed open. Playing two hours after the doors open is normal, so I don't really think they were delayed more than a half hour. The warm up band (which as you said was horrible. Seriously, what's the deal with having bad opening acts this fall?) also needs some time on stage.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #493 on: 01 Nov 2008, 11:22 »

Do doors open around that time at most gigs over there? Most gigs here are over by 11.

I'm looking forward to Okkervil River when they come to London.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Metope

« Reply #494 on: 01 Nov 2008, 11:29 »

At most gigs over here doors open around 8-9, and the band goes on stage 10-11. It's really annoying considering most public transport stops around 12. Jens had to leave early because he lives too far away from the city to take a taxi, and I missed the last subway and had to walk around for an hour until the night bus showed up (usually I take a taxi, but I'm sorta broke at the moment). The gig ended about 00:30, and I was home 2. Baah.

damnitsteve

« Reply #495 on: 01 Nov 2008, 12:30 »

I saw Muse a while back at Bamboozle. It was pretty good... I like Muse a lot, but the highlight was that it was my first (and only) time crowd surfing.

More recently, I drove six hours through a snow storm over to Binghamton so I could see the Foo Fighters, Serj Tankien, and Against Me! I don't really like the Foo Fighters much anymore, but at the time I thought that it was fucking sick. Regardless of whether they play good music or not, Dave Grohl obviously puts a lot of energy into his performance. The other two weren't bad either.

Captfamous

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #496 on: 02 Nov 2008, 21:46 »

Went to Braholween IV in Brooklyn. First three bands were ok (at best), but Awesome Color and Oneida were sick. People should look to check them out, they've opened for Dinosaur Jr. and Mission of Burma in the past, respectively.

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #497 on: 02 Nov 2008, 22:14 »

Yeah, Awesome Color are great.  I got their album at the Dino show a year ago but I still haven't plugged in my turntables since I got back in the country.  I guess what I'm saying is I suck.  :p

Finally caught the Broomstars last night, they were great.  Of course, half the band has worked or still works at Moog Music, so why not?

Jettison Never from Chattanooga opened for them, and they really put the power in power trio.  I walked in to buy me and my girl's ticket and heard like six bars from them.  I was so worried because I had to go and pick up a friend who I knew would enjoy Broomstars and I thought I was gonna miss their set, but we got back halfway into their pre-penultimate jam.  It was a hell of a show for all of twenty people to show up.
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #498 on: 03 Nov 2008, 04:37 »

I went to see Battles but they weren't that good.

I don't know about that specific show, But I have to say that Battles is one of the better shows I have been to. I saw them in a small club though and was standing maybe 15 people back from the stage.

But that show was just an absolute mindfuck for me.

(I still can't believe that I haven't seen the Arcade Fire yet)

Maybe they weren't playing that well in my city, my friend went to the sideshow and was a bit disappointed by them as well, and he's really into them.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #499 on: 04 Nov 2008, 23:07 »

Guys, I just got back from Girl Talk.  OH MAN OH MAN WAS IT COOL.

I was on stage. One row from the front. About 3 feet away from Greg Gillis.

Also, there was a big screen behind the crowd showing election coverage and everyone just started fucking screaming when Obama was announced the winner
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up