THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 12 May 2024, 04:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Top 10 Albums of 2008  (Read 302635 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Top 10 Albums of 2008
« Reply #550 on: 17 Aug 2008, 12:13 »

Who's neglecting him? If I had any evidence that he was going to release his new record before the end of the year, then it'd be on my list. Besides which, his last album was a pile of shit, so I'm not too confident about this one, where Oasis' last was their best in a decade and the stuff I've heard from The Verve's was pretty bloody good too. If you like that sort of thing, of course.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #551 on: 17 Aug 2008, 15:29 »

Still albums to come out, so I'm going to have to hold back on this one. We still have a Bloodbath album, as well as a Cynic album (their first since the early 90s) to come out.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #552 on: 17 Aug 2008, 15:32 »

Can't wait for Missiles, Skeletal Lamping and possibly the next Black Lips album.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #553 on: 18 Aug 2008, 15:56 »

*whole thing about the Matt Cooper album*

Dude, have you found a mediafire link to this or not? I'm going to order it but I really wanna hear it.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #554 on: 19 Aug 2008, 10:13 »

I'm not on my own computer at the moment and won't be until tomorrow evening at the earliest so I can't upload anything at the moment. Rest assured, however, that I will up a link by Thursday at the latests.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

cmalberg

« Reply #555 on: 19 Aug 2008, 11:43 »

Heard one or two tracks from Sigur Ros's newest, but haven't gotten around to checking it all out yet. Not too bad so far.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #556 on: 19 Aug 2008, 12:05 »

Ah yes, Sigur Mortis.

I have no idea why, but I just don't give a shit about them any more. And it's not that they went mainstream, cause I only got into them when I reviewed Takk... I just don't really enjoy listening to them much any more aside from a few songs.

exomni

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #557 on: 19 Aug 2008, 13:42 »

Well Sigur Ros is completely different now than back on Takk. The whole minimalist thing is gone, replaced by this playful summerish accoustic sound. I definitely don't mind it, as the ethereal minimalism has been really played out since Ágætis Byrjun.

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is actually really good.

sean

• welp
« Reply #558 on: 19 Aug 2008, 13:46 »

I'm not on my own computer at the moment and won't be until tomorrow evening at the earliest so I can't upload anything at the moment. Rest assured, however, that I will up a link by Thursday at the latests.

I actually just found it on a blog I read, so I could upload it if you won't get to it till thursday.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #559 on: 19 Aug 2008, 14:25 »

Sounds OK to me.

Well Sigur Ros is completely different now than back on Takk. The whole minimalist thing is gone, replaced by this playful summerish accoustic sound. I definitely don't mind it, as the ethereal minimalism has been really played out since Ágætis Byrjun

Yeah, not sure I agree that the "whole minimalist thing" is gone or that the whole album has a "playful summerish accoustic [sic] sound." That may be true for the first couple songs but things slow down and darken up for sure later on in the album. We still have long builds and songs that sprawl quietly, darkly, and minimally for much, if not all, of the run time. I think it's an excellent album but not as significant a departure from earlier material as you seem to suggest.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2008, 14:28 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

sean

• welp
« Reply #560 on: 19 Aug 2008, 14:46 »

I'll get it uploaded before the day is out.

Well, I just finished listening to it. While it was a stunning and gorgeous piece of music, I don't quite think its the album of the year. I think I need to hear this on vinyl though. It sounds like one of those albums that needs to be heard on vinyl.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #561 on: 19 Aug 2008, 17:13 »

I haven't heard much new music this year, as I've spent a lot of time this year getting into older stuff that I wasn't listening to before.  The only two albums I've really gotten into this year are the new Hold Steady one and The Gaslight Anthem's The '59 Sound, which was just released today.

I guess maybe I should have bought that new Paul Westerberg album while it was available.  Shitbutt.

Next-day Edit: The Drive-By Truckers album is also really good.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2008, 18:00 by ImRonBurgundy? »
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #562 on: 21 Aug 2008, 12:35 »

my indie sense is burrrrrrrrning... needs more METAL.

here are my top ten(ISH) (METAL) albums of the year so far:

Arsis - We Are the Nightmare - good step up from United in Regret, overall very solid, but nowhere near as perfect as A Celebration of Guilt or A Diamond For Disease

Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds - ZOMG, total brutal tech death masterpiece. There's so many different riff and layers to the music, that you still won't hear all the parts if you listen to this twenty times in a row. It's a bit more melodic than their previous ...And Time Begins, but they still managed to step up the level of t3chnical brutal1ty.

Enslaved - Vertebrae - This only leaked a couple days ago, but I after listening to it a couple times, I can already tell that it's one of the year's best. Very solid album all the way through. Recommended if you like progressive black/death a la Opeth.

Fellsilent - The Hidden Words - total downtuned polyrhythmic Meshuggah worhsip, and I absolutely love it. Really great guitar work.

Textures - Silhouettes - more polyrhythmic goodness. These guys have probably been around almost as long as Meshuggah, and to be honest, I liked this album a lot better than Meshuggah's obZen. Better songwriting, more melodic, easier to listen to :-P. obZen was still awesome n' heavy, but I just enjoyed Texture's new album more.

Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception - My favorite brutal death album of the year. Appropriate, as they're labelmates with Decrepit Birth. Incredible guitars, drummer's nuts, and great production*. <-- the production on most of today's death metal albums is a major factor on if I will enjoy it or not. Everything on the Vile Conception is so clear and concise, that it's not hard to hear how awesome it is. Hate Eternal would have been on here, but the production was way too loud and muddy for me to enjoy it.

Septicflesh - Communion - I think there's something in Greece's water, because this album is amazing. Great atmosphere, songwriting, production - overall a great surprise and a very solid album.

Soilent Green - Inevitable Collapse in the Presence of Conviction - FUCKIN RIFFFFFFFFFFFFS

Genghis Tron - Board Up the House -what HORSE the Band would sound like if they suddenly got all serious and actually pulled it off really well.

Mouth of the Architect
- Quietly - If you like Isis/Red Sparrowes/other good post metal band/, you will want to have babies with this album

MY album of the year contenders:
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene - Holy shit. I never heard this guy's previous albums before, but holy shit. This band, which sounds like it has more members than the Polyphonic Spree, actually consists of one dude, his computer, guitars/keyboard/drumkit from hell. Incredible musician, songwriter, producer. Even if you don't like this type of music (progressive black metal), you need to listen to this musical masterpiece. His songs are very heavily based on classical composition style type songs - pretty long, multi-layered, different parts/movements. Amazing listen, and highly recommended.

Evergrey - Torn - Probably my favorite band. I guess it's kind of biased that I have my favorite band as one of my favorite albums of the year, but it is an incredible album. Their sound is dark progressive metal - it's very heavily based on their excellent songwriting skills (and less technical emphasis), but the two dudes with guitars in the band can still fuckin' wail on the guitar. Their singer (yes, he sings) has also got some awesome pipes, very 'soulful'. They've got that distinctive Gothenberg sound, given that they are actually from Gothenberg, Sweden. These guys would win the best heavily-guitar-based album of the year.

Misery Signals - Controller Unless Metallica comes out with ...And Justice For All II, this is my album of the year. These guys take it to a whole nothur lebuhl. Everything about this album is perfect to me: the songwriting, the production, the guitar work, the drummer can kill it. I even love the lyrics. From my ears, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this album. You know something is up when dudes that skateboard and have short hair make better music than all those trve red wine sipping dweebs out there. Well done. :-D :-D
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2008, 12:37 by Harun »

modern leper

« Reply #563 on: 21 Aug 2008, 15:14 »

Ho hum hmm...

1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
2. School Of Language - Sea From Shore
3. Sigur Rós - Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
4. Vessels - White Fields And Open Devices
5. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
6. The Futureheads - This Is Not The World
7. Headlights - Some Racing, Some Stopping
8. The Young Knives - Superabundance
9. British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
10. This Town Needs Guns - Animals (even though it isn't out yet, it will be awesome!)

I would include Maps & Atlases - You & Me & The Mountain, but alas, it's an EP and so doesn't strictly speaking count :(

GMM

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • The Internet Sleeps Sundays
« Reply #564 on: 24 Aug 2008, 13:29 »

Right now it would be

Alopecia by Why?
Heretic Pride by The Mountain Goats
Hold On Now, Youngster by Los Campesinos!
Stay Positive by The Hold Steady
Waited Up Til It Was Light by Johnny Foreigner
Feed the Animals by Girl Talk
American Demo by The Indelicates
Instant Coffee Baby by The Wave Pictures
Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie
The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow

[Just missing: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Atmosphere, Sac vs Pip]

I suspect that new Los Camp! album in October will get a place. If the new Bloc Party grows on me much more then that'll cause problems too. Oh and then there's Mogwai.

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #565 on: 27 Aug 2008, 07:21 »

Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Chris Wood - Trespasser
White Hinterland - Phylactery Factory
Gregor Samsa - Rest
Jade - Analogic
Balmorhea - River Arms
Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
Sigur Rós - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
The Bug - London Zoo
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
the rest of my list

Have barely listened to any music that came out this summer so I have a lot of catching up to do.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2008, 07:23 by theoryC »

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #566 on: 27 Aug 2008, 11:31 »

New Of Montreal will be on it, again. It's absurd how much this record is growing on me. Also Cut Copy- In Ghost Colors, and probably Aerial - 2562

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #567 on: 27 Aug 2008, 14:51 »

The new Verve is a lot lighter and airier than the previous ones. It seems more relaxed and mature, although it's their fourth best album by a street. 'Sit And Wonder' is fucking stunning, though.

The new Slipknot record is slowly growing on me (though the masks are shit this time round), it's kind of like a mix between Iowa and Vol. 3, but any traces of the first record have pretty much disappeared. I didn't hear any DJ scratching or anything :-S

Gallows put a new song on their myspace. It's not much of a progression, just a minute-long blast really, but I still really like it and can't stop listening to it.

My vague top ten at the moment, is:
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
Weezer - Weezer
Chris T-T - Capital
Jacob's Stories - Undisciplined Art
The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
Hellsongs - Songs In The Key Of 666
Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
Rhymefest - The Man In The Mirror
Julia Marcell - It Might Like You

Near misses:
The Corrections - Repeat After Me
Kaki King - Dreaming Of Revenge
Daniel Lanois - Here Is What Is
Local H - Twelve Angry Months
Realeaf - Possibly Not
Slaves To Gravity - Scatter The Crow

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #568 on: 28 Aug 2008, 20:24 »

I'm not sure about my list there's been rumors 'round the playground that the new Walkmen disc, You & Me is top ten of the year material.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #569 on: 28 Aug 2008, 21:48 »

I don't know how I feel about that assertion. Basically it seems like they decided to revisit the sonic territory of their first two albums, but with tighter playing and production and a quirky worldwide travel theme. I really enjoy The Walkmen sometimes but I wouldn't say they've ever stuck me as top ten material.

Of course, I have yet to spend a suitable amount of time with the album in my most comfortable and immersive environment (my car), so I could be missing nuances that could make me wrong.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #570 on: 29 Aug 2008, 19:35 »

Guys the new Parts & Labor album is probably going to be the best album this year.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #571 on: 30 Aug 2008, 05:33 »

Right at this moment right now I am really digging the hell out of A Place Where We Could Go by Jeremy Jay.

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #572 on: 30 Aug 2008, 09:06 »

Of Montreal and Matthew Robert Cooper just kicked MMJ and The Bug out of my top ten.  I'm not sure if Of Montreal will last, but I'm pretty sure MRC will be there on New Years.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #573 on: 30 Aug 2008, 14:42 »

My top ten:

1.  Portishead - Third
2.  Drive By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
3.  Hercules And Love Affair - s/t
4.  Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
5.  The Bellrays - Hard, Sweet, and Sticky
6.  Erykah Badu - New Amerykah
7.  Spiritualized - Songs In A&E
8.  Shearwater - Rook
9.  Fleet Foxes - s/t
10.  Bonnie Prince Billy - Lie Down In The Light

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #574 on: 31 Aug 2008, 17:56 »

Right at this moment right now I am really digging the hell out of A Place Where We Could Go by Jeremy Jay.

I like his stuff. seems really romantic

Kyros

« Reply #575 on: 31 Aug 2008, 19:42 »

Guys the new Parts & Labor album is probably going to be the best album this year.

Is this leaked? Cause I would love to hear it.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #576 on: 31 Aug 2008, 20:40 »

Nah, it's not. There is a song from it on their myspace page though.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #577 on: 31 Aug 2008, 21:24 »

The Parenthetical Girls album is top ten material. I'll upload it in the mediafire thread right now.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #578 on: 01 Sep 2008, 04:59 »

Top 10 Albums
1. The White EP - Aggaloch
2. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
3. The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
4. Witch Hats - Celulite Soul
5. Boris – Smile
6. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Dig! Lazarus Dig!
7. The Living End – White Noise
8. Ayreon – 01011001
9. Juno – OST
10. Be Your Own Pet – Get Awkward
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #579 on: 02 Sep 2008, 03:11 »

I've finally gotten around to listening to the Mystery Jets album. Yay, pop! There are some brilliant tracks on this album, two of them fighting tooth and nail for the title of "Favourite Sweet Pop Song of the Year". Two Doors Down is happier and just blindly hopeful which I love in a song, but also a saxophone which I totally don't. Young Love is just as fun and has pretty guest vocals. The first half of the album is really strong but then it flounders a little later on which was a little disappointing. Maybe not flounders, but I suppose it just gets less fun? It might well make my top ten depending on what else I hear this year.

Oh, and I love the upright piano. I catch myself thinking things like that a lot, I think I just prefer crappier pianos in music that's not simply a piece for piano.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Halitosis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #580 on: 02 Sep 2008, 14:24 »

UPDATE:

1. Crystal Castles
2. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
3. Xiu Xiu - Women as Lovers
4. Does It Offend You, Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into
5. Louis XIV - Slick Dogs and Ponies
6. Portishead - Third
7. M83 - Saturdays = Youth
8. Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
9. Otto Von Schirach - Oozing Bass Spasms
10. HEALTH//DISCO

More at 11.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2008, 19:31 by Halitosis »

windinthewires

• Not quite a lurker
    • Last.fm
« Reply #581 on: 03 Sep 2008, 18:13 »

I'm thinking this, in no particular order...
At Mount Zoomer by Wolf Parade
Alopecia by Why?
Nouns by No Age
Feed The Animals by Girl Talk
Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
Alegranza! by El Guincho
Visiter by The Dodos
In Ghost Colours by Cut Copy
Devotion by Beach House
Hercules and Love Affair by Hercules and Love Affair or DISCO by HEALTH

Also dig:
Women by Women, The Stand-Ins by Okkervil River, Saturdays = Youth by M83, Arm's Way by Islands, Crystal Castles by Crystal Castles.

Some disappointments. (Tapes 'n Tapes, Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band) Some that I own but haven't listened to. (The Bug, Air France) Animal Collective and Fleet Foxes' EPs were both excellent, too.

I consider myself a pretty big fan and still haven't listened to Xiu Xiu's latest. Also, I can't bring myself to succumb to the leaks of Final Fantasy and of Montreal. I am waiting for their releases.

Kyros

« Reply #582 on: 06 Sep 2008, 10:03 »

The new Chad VanGaalen is out there on the interwebs and I think it comes out for real on Tuesday.  Freakin' fantastic.

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #583 on: 07 Sep 2008, 10:49 »

I think it's fair game to release my list now, well so far.

List
Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
Fleet Foxes - s/t
Titus Androncius - Airing of Grievances
Portishead - Third
Shearwater - Rook
Drive by Truckers - Brighter Than Creation’s Dark
The Hold Steady - Stay Posative
Sun Kill Moon - April
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig! Lazarus Dig!

Runner ups/close:
Local H - Twelve Angry Months
Hercules Love Affair - s/t
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath *
White Hinterland - Phylactery Factory
Spiritualized - Songs in A&E *
Bonnie “Prince” Billy - Lie Down in the Light *
The Walkmen - You and Me*
TV On The Radio - Dear Scientist

I have noticed a lot of people havn't talked about Titus Androncius. If you like low production, post/revival punk check them out.

EDIT: Upon listening to it again, Walkmen album at least deserves a close. Very close. If's just my personal bias for th eother bands that really keeps it out.

« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2008, 08:39 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #584 on: 07 Sep 2008, 11:29 »

Of note, the Titus Andronicus record is low production but not Times New Viking's so-low-fi-it's-actually-unlistenable low production. It's just sleazy, noisy, grimy and dirty - in other words, it's pretty good.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #585 on: 07 Sep 2008, 12:03 »

Really? You find TNV unlistenable? I love the Titus Andronicus record, though.

GMM

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • The Internet Sleeps Sundays
« Reply #586 on: 07 Sep 2008, 16:57 »

I'm not sure I would call Times New Viking un-listenable, but I find it pretty unpleasant. I like some lo-fi because the warmth and distortion sounds good, but when it becomes grating and obscures the music past a certain point I become disappointed, especially with Times New Viking where I can detect good songs lurking underneath the mess. Also Titus Andronicus is the shit. I want to see them live so badly.

You should try the Daytrotter session by TNV. You can hear the songs and they are great!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #587 on: 07 Sep 2008, 19:54 »

The new TV on the Radio album is pretty awesome. I don't think it's album of the year material but it might make my slightly longer list (top 15?) at year's end.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #588 on: 08 Sep 2008, 00:49 »

You should try the Daytrotter session by TNV. You can hear the songs and they are great!

I know! That's why the new record makes me as mad as it does!

Hey, Times New Viking, you know who else made poppy records that were super-clippy from start to finish? Ricky Martin.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #589 on: 08 Sep 2008, 01:09 »

Young Love is just as fun and has pretty guest vocals.

I'm not sure if you already know this or not but the girl who sings the guest vocals on Young Love is named Laura Marling and she has an album out this year named Alas I Cannot Swim, on which you will find several contenders for your Best Sweetly Melancholic Pop Song list of 2008. It's pretty good, I say!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #590 on: 08 Sep 2008, 06:52 »

I forgot that that came out this year. This list is getting difficult.

Lamrock

« Reply #591 on: 08 Sep 2008, 07:36 »

1. TV On The Radio - Dear Science (A bit premature, as its only been leaked two days, but its great)
2. Los Campesinos! - Hold On There, Youngster...
3. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
4. of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
5. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Will wait for year's end to complete the list. I'm sure I forgot some here anyway.

Akeboshi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #592 on: 08 Sep 2008, 21:03 »

I think we should remake this thread in December, and see how our lists have changed.  My list thus far goes somethin' like this:

1.  Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - "Angles"
2.  Fleet Foxes - "s/t"
3.  The Mountain Goats - "Heretic Pride"
4.  Why? - "Alopecia"
5.  Giants - "Old Stories"
6.  Cloudkicker - "The Discovery"
7.  Elbow - "The Seldom Seen Kid"
8.  The Raconteurs - "Consolers of the Lonely"
9.  They Might Be Giants - "Here Come the 1,2,3's"
10.  Jami Sieber, Shira Kammen, & Cheryl Ann Fulton - "Braid (videogame OST)"

Honorable Mentions:
Flogging Molly - "Float"
Colin Meloy - "Sings Live!"
Kaki King - "Dreaming of Revenge"

Not yet out, but probably will be added to the list later:
Ben Folds - "Way to Normal"
The Mountain Goats & Kaki King - "Black Pear Tree EP" 
      (the first song off of this album has already been leaked by John Darnielle, and it's awesome)

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #593 on: 08 Sep 2008, 22:22 »

The Mountain Goats & Kaki King - "Black Pear Tree EP" 

!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #594 on: 09 Sep 2008, 11:48 »

What now??

Hollow Press (my blog)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #595 on: 10 Sep 2008, 23:18 »

Um, here is a top ten that I did not give very much thought at all for the ordering but this will probably be pretty close

1 Okkervil River
2 Why?
3 TV on the Radio
4 WOMEN
5 Beach House
6 of Montreal
7 Wolf Parade?
8 [reserved for Deerhoof]
9 [reserved for Love is All]
10 [reserved for Final Fantasy]

other things: sloan, earlimart!, shearwater, cut copy, fleet foxes, islands, BSP, hot chip
it's time to stop posting

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #596 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:22 »

Here's how it looks at the moment:

1. Snowman - The Horse, the Rat and the Swan
2. Deerhunter - Microcastle  & Weird Era Cont.
3. Bodies of Water - A Certain Feeling
4. Women - s/t
5. Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
6. Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
7. Feral Children - Second to the Last Frontier  & Ladyhawk -  Shots
8. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Graves
9. Mercy Arms - s/t  & British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
10. Beck - Modern Guilt  & Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks Real Emotional Trash

Missiles by the Dears, Offend Maggie by Deerhunter and North America by Hank Pine and Lily Fawn may have a considerably profound effect on the nature of this list.

penfolder

• Not quite a lurker
  • Crumbs
« Reply #597 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:31 »

1. Evil Urges - My Morning Jacket
2. Fantasy Black Channel - Late of the Pier
3. Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
4. Twenty One - Mystery Jets
5. Stainless Style - Neon Neon
6. Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
7. Stay Positive - Hold Steady
8. Saturnalia - Gutter Twins
9. Falling Off the Lavender Bridge - Lightspeed Champion
10. Get Awkward - Be Your Own Pet
Likes the warm feeling but is tired of all the dehydration

Mr. Y

« Reply #598 on: 12 Sep 2008, 18:57 »

Alright, Here's my top 10 list (So far)

1. Miles Of Styles - Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
2. Nouns - No Age
3. Vs. The Snow - The LK (Technically this came out last year, but this is the first year it's available in america, so it made the list)
4. A Land For Renegades - Zombie-Zombie
5. The Devil, You+Me - The Notwist
6. Stay Positive - The Hold Steady
7. Other People - American Princes
8. Volume 1 - She and Him
9. Made In The Dark - Hot Chip
10. Microcastle - Deerhunter

Honorable Mentions:
The Rhumb Line - Ra Ra Riot
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Disappointment of the year:
Slick Dogs And Ponies - Louis XIV

There still is tons of time for this to completely change, though.....

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #599 on: 13 Sep 2008, 00:11 »

TV on the Radio takes the cake so far.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up