THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 13:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Terrible Movies Thread  (Read 209610 times)

Adah

Re: Terrible Movies Thread
« Reply #250 on: 03 Apr 2008, 12:03 »

If you want to give King another shot, I'd recommend Lisey's Story as a good one to try out.  It's much better written than a lot of his other stuff, with a deeper look at the two main characters.  You spend a good half of the novel never in contact with the villian, so that's in your favor.  But it is a King novel, and as such has elements of fantasy, so if that stuff doesn't do it for you, you're probably better off staying away.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2008, 00:52 by Adah »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #251 on: 03 Apr 2008, 12:23 »

Woah.  It's like, at a certain point, you were typing sideways or somethin'.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #252 on: 03 Apr 2008, 15:32 »

Also he's a pretty bad writer.

I could not read Stephen King to save my life. In my lifetime I've managed to read one of his books fully through and I've abandoned at least five within the first hundred pages. He pretty much just sucks.

All of his stuff I've thrown away after the first 40 pages...except for IT which I waited for about 100 pages before getting bored.  I think he's terrible and his movies are shit...except for The Shining.  Which is kind of sad because that was the ONE film made from his novels that he HATED...and still hates.

cabose

« Reply #253 on: 03 Apr 2008, 18:23 »

Kazaam...Shaquille O'neal (sp?) acting...oh god it was awful!

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #254 on: 03 Apr 2008, 20:13 »

That was the only movie I cried after watching.  I was 7, and had no idea what was going on.  I thought the dad died, and then he didn't die, and then Shaq was gone, and I guess it made me upset.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

camelpimp

« Reply #255 on: 03 Apr 2008, 20:27 »

There is something so wrong and yet so right about your implied statement, "Kazaam made me cry."

Ikrik

« Reply #256 on: 03 Apr 2008, 21:05 »

Kazaam...Shaquille O'neal (sp?) acting...oh god it was awful!

I remember one of the kids wishes was wishing for a million cheeseburgers to fall from the sky, or is that from some other movie?

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #257 on: 05 Apr 2008, 17:16 »

Someone is going to smack me upside the mouth(perhaps I deserve it) but...

300 made me want to repeatedly beat my head against the nearest hard surface (that probably would've been my friend's head...which I'm sure he wouldn't have appreciated).  There were times when I enjoyed the blood letting, but most of it made me a very sad girl.

I don't know though.  I may have been biased at the time?  I went in with very little knowledge of what I was getting myself into.  My friend said 'greek mythology' and I immediately decided that it was for me.

Unfortunately, I thought I was going to get some *actual* greek mythology and not mindless entertaining violence.  Which, at the time, was not what I was expecting. :\ 

Actually, I'll retract my thoughts on 300 being a 'terrible' movie.  It was tolerable compared to one someone mentioned earlier on.

Alexander.

A lot of people might haphazardly use a phrase like 'if only I could have those two hours of my life back' when they emerge from a less than savory movie.  With that movie?  I mean it with my heart and soul.  I came out of that movie with a headache and the worst mood I've ever had coming out of a movie theater.  Usually, a belly full of popcorn/chocolate almonds can at least take the edge off of a bad movie experience for me. 

Not that time. :(

camelpimp

« Reply #258 on: 05 Apr 2008, 19:23 »

I went into 300 expecting nothing more than mindless entertaining violence, and I was still disappointed. It was certainly mindless and violent, but I must have missed the entertaining part.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #259 on: 05 Apr 2008, 21:49 »

while I agree that Alexander was a horrible movie, I will disagree that 300 was a bad one.

What were you expecting when he said Greek Mythology - most of the greek myths are either fairly bloody, or filled with violence and/or sex. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #260 on: 05 Apr 2008, 22:09 »

Probably something more like this:

Seriously, I hate broken links.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2008, 12:21 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Ikrik

« Reply #261 on: 05 Apr 2008, 22:56 »

I went into 300 expecting nothing more than mindless entertaining violence, and I was still disappointed. It was certainly mindless and violent, but I must have missed the entertaining part.

Oh God.....THANK YOU.  I'm surrounded by people going "OMG 300 was SO kickass" and I'm the only person who finds it incredibly boring.  Honestly I thought the action scenes were really well staged, but then they threw in that whole storyarc with his wife that just absolutely ruined anything resembling entertainment.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #262 on: 05 Apr 2008, 23:04 »

I think it might be that most people who thought 300 was awesome were only going into it to see some muscley dudes fight some other dudes. I didn't give a shit about the storyline, I just wanted to see some mindless action and you have to admit that 300 delivered that in spades.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #263 on: 05 Apr 2008, 23:50 »

The visuals were nice and all, but I found the action scenes to be edited in a way that put me off. The only other time I was so aware of editing was during the slo-mo heavy parts (ie all) of The Passion of the Christ, a movie that I found just as entertaining as 300, actually.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #264 on: 06 Apr 2008, 12:23 »

Slow motion is only good for instant replay and comedy.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #265 on: 06 Apr 2008, 13:43 »

I actually liked The Passion of the Christ, terminator Jesus during the final scene had me in stitches.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #266 on: 06 Apr 2008, 13:50 »

Probably something more like this:

*Clash of the Titans*

Seriously, I hate broken links.

YES.

Actually, I can only remember bits and pieces of that movie.  The golden owl was my favorite.

Still, I have no idea (as I was a child at the time and therefore lacking in good taste) if it was actually a 'good' movie or not. 

But yes...I did expect some generalized Greek mythology. :\

Aminal

« Reply #267 on: 06 Apr 2008, 15:21 »

but then they threw in that whole storyarc with his wife that just absolutely ruined anything resembling entertainment.

How come you think that?  I'm not starting a fight, I'm just curious.  My main issue with that movie was the abundance of scary nipples.

Ikrik

« Reply #268 on: 06 Apr 2008, 18:43 »

but then they threw in that whole storyarc with his wife that just absolutely ruined anything resembling entertainment.

How come you think that?  I'm not starting a fight, I'm just curious.  My main issue with that movie was the abundance of scary nipples.

the 300 graphic novel was all about the actually fighting.  It was great and had some amazing action scenes, and the story stays mostly true to that.  The difference between the men in the graphic novel and in the movie is that in the graphic novel the people actually look Greek, not white.  For the movie they decided to add in the arc with the wife and it just came out as tacky and useless.....and really, really predictable.

I guess I hated it the most because I was expecting Sin City but with Spartans.....but man.....it sucked.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #269 on: 06 Apr 2008, 20:29 »

I may be wrong here, but Greeks, being Europeans, are white....

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Ikrik

« Reply #270 on: 06 Apr 2008, 20:32 »

I may be wrong here, but Greeks, being Europeans, are white....

They're not Gerard Butler white.  Most of the guys, I felt, were WAY too "Anglo-Saxon" looking, if you take a look at the art from the graphic novel you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #271 on: 07 Apr 2008, 04:08 »

I did.  Didn't really matter to me as I wanted to see a mindless action movie, and the movie delivered that IN SPADES.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #272 on: 07 Apr 2008, 05:29 »

I did.  Didn't really matter to me as I wanted to see a mindless action movie, and the movie delivered that IN SPADES.

Hang on...

I think it might be that most people who thought 300 was awesome were only going into it to see some muscley dudes fight some other dudes. I didn't give a shit about the storyline, I just wanted to see some mindless action and you have to admit that 300 delivered that in spades.

Quit stealing my thoughts.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #273 on: 07 Apr 2008, 06:35 »

Then start copywriting them, or stop leaving them in the open for anyone to pick up and use.

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #274 on: 07 Apr 2008, 14:50 »

the 300 graphic novel was all about the actually fighting.  It was great and had some amazing action scenes, and the story stays mostly true to that.  The difference between the men in the graphic novel and in the movie is that in the graphic novel the people actually look Greek, not white.  For the movie they decided to add in the arc with the wife and it just came out as tacky and useless.....and really, really predictable.

I guess I hated it the most because I was expecting Sin City but with Spartans.....but man.....it sucked.

What? You didn't like the movie because the actors' hue of skin was slightly different from what it was in a comicbook? I've heard some bad reasons for not liking a movie like "I noticed a lot of clipping, which suggests bad takes" or "In my imagination Shrek's voice was slightly shriller" but what the hell?
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

frunK

« Reply #275 on: 09 Apr 2008, 04:30 »

The reason I thought 300 sucked balls is because I was expecting a huge fight scene involving a fat-ass with sword hands but he was in it for only three fucking seconds.
This will not be forgiven.
EVER.

Narr

« Reply #276 on: 09 Apr 2008, 10:57 »

300 is a movie based on a Frank Miller comic.  People going in to it expecting something other than a Frank Miller comic brought to life didn't get what they came for.  People expecting over-the-top action with cheesy lines got exactly what they wanted.

That said, I enjoyed it.

Ikrik

« Reply #277 on: 09 Apr 2008, 13:07 »

What? You didn't like the movie because the actors' hue of skin was slightly different from what it was in a comicbook? I've heard some bad reasons for not liking a movie like "I noticed a lot of clipping, which suggests bad takes" or "In my imagination Shrek's voice was slightly shriller" but what the hell?

What?  What I said is that the only difference between the graphic novel and the movie (in the fighting sense) was that the men looked more european.  That's not why I didn't enjoy the movie.  I didn't enjoy the movie because they tacked on a terrible subplot with his wife that was both 1. predictable and 2. completely useless.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #278 on: 09 Apr 2008, 20:57 »

me and my friend ian both finished a bunch of exams today so we decided to go watch 10,000 bc. we already knew it would be terrible from the start, having looked up the ridiculuously stupid plot in advance, and went into the threatre intending to watch it as a comedy. i don't know what i was expecting but oh my god. this film was so bad. i don't even know where to begin. by the end we couldn't even laugh anymore, we could only sit there in the theatre shaking our heads. stupid plot, no character development whatsoever, ridiculous chauvinism, and everyone somehow has well-groomed faces and legs yet can't cut their fucking hair. we pretty much felt like the film was making fun of us tbh. my advice to you is that if you think this film will be hilarious, even in an ironic sense, i promise it won't be. it's just fucking awful on every level. please save your money and don't ever see it.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #279 on: 09 Apr 2008, 21:10 »

Here's an interesting article about this kind of thing:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2267064,00.html

Ikrik

« Reply #280 on: 09 Apr 2008, 21:39 »

me and my friend ian both finished a bunch of exams today so we decided to go watch 10,000 bc. we already knew it would be terrible from the start, having looked up the ridiculuously stupid plot in advance, and went into the threatre intending to watch it as a comedy. i don't know what i was expecting but oh my god. this film was so bad. i don't even know where to begin. by the end we couldn't even laugh anymore, we could only sit there in the theatre shaking our heads. stupid plot, no character development whatsoever, ridiculous chauvinism, and everyone somehow has well-groomed faces and legs yet can't cut their fucking hair. we pretty much felt like the film was making fun of us tbh. my advice to you is that if you think this film will be hilarious, even in an ironic sense, i promise it won't be. it's just fucking awful on every level. please save your money and don't ever see it.

Holy crap YES!  Didn't you love how the one tribe conveniently spoke English too?  It would have been a MILLION times more coherent if they had everything in some other language.....but then again the tribespeak was pretty horrendous too.  It's a terrible film, the second half was the biggest ripoff of Stargate.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #281 on: 10 Apr 2008, 04:28 »

But will there be hot chicks in fur bikinis?

That's the only reason to see a caveman flick...

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #282 on: 10 Apr 2008, 06:54 »

no, there was also an incredibly disappointing lack of girls in fur bikinis.

like i said, NO redeeming qualities.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #283 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:00 »

I've got to admit, seeing the trailer showing mammoths in what looked like ancient Egypt being used like indian elephants nearly caused the old "willing suspension of disbelief" to check out. 

Ikrik

« Reply #284 on: 10 Apr 2008, 11:27 »

no, there was also an incredibly disappointing lack of girls in fur bikinis.

like i said, NO redeeming qualities.

adding to that there was a lack of girls completely.

sbakerj

« Reply #285 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:52 »

Any movie ever made with the word "Pokemon" in the title.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #286 on: 10 Apr 2008, 13:21 »

I have an 8 year old who might disagree with you (then again he hasn't wanted to rent one of them or a Yu-gi-oh movie for over a year), but I certainly won't.

sbakerj

« Reply #287 on: 10 Apr 2008, 15:00 »

Oh, yeah! The yu-gi-oh movie as well.

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #288 on: 10 Apr 2008, 16:48 »

I thought the first movie was decent. Then again, I haven't seen it in like 8 years.

I still have my Ancient Mew card somewhere.

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #289 on: 15 Apr 2008, 08:03 »

My friend just subjected me to "The Hotel New Hampshire", where the humor makes you cringe and the gang rape and death of numerous characters makes you laugh hysterically. "Plan 9 From Outer Space" for the 80s.

It seems that it was based on a novel by John Irving, and so was "Simon Birch", which is another WORST MOVIE EVER. So, either people are dumb and John Irving sucks so hard, or Hollywood just hates him a whole lot.

frunK

« Reply #290 on: 15 Apr 2008, 14:05 »

Kind of liker how Hollywood hates the hell out of Clive Cussler?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 15 Apr 2008, 15:24 »

Female Trouble

Supposedly a cult classic, but not because it was any damn good.  Fuck you IFC, you wasted 15 minutes of my life.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #292 on: 15 Apr 2008, 16:56 »

I thought the first movie was decent. Then again, I haven't seen it in like 8 years.

I still have my Ancient Mew card somewhere.

It's alright, there are support groups (not here, we'll just make fun of you)

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #293 on: 15 Apr 2008, 20:54 »

My brother and I still make fun of our mom for crying during the Pokemon movie.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #294 on: 16 Apr 2008, 18:38 »

It seems that it was based on a novel by John Irving, and so was "Simon Birch", which is another WORST MOVIE EVER. So, either people are dumb and John Irving sucks so hard, or Hollywood just hates him a whole lot.

One time, I ruined that book for my friend, cus I said "It's really sad when he dies." Best part? I didn't even know what he was reading. I just figured there was a good probability of somebody dying, you know?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #295 on: 16 Apr 2008, 21:52 »

Man, Clive Cussler Novels....

And, as far as Pokemon movies go, I don't know. I was sick one day and ended up watching the one with Lucario in it on Cartoon Network one day. I could stand it, but I guess I wasn't really thinking about it. And yes, I know his name is Lucario because he is the best fucking character ever on Super Smash Bros.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jinjo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #296 on: 03 May 2008, 15:56 »

I'm not sure if its already been mentioned but Catwoman was painful to sit through. Also Electra. Also Glitter.

minorbird

• Plantmonster
  • The horror.
« Reply #297 on: 04 May 2008, 05:02 »

I have two contributions two this thread, and funnily enough, both involved my girlfriend - says alot about her taste.

1) Her, her friend and I were going to the cinemas, and they had bought the tickets before hand, which at the time I thought were tickets to Into the Wild (I think?). So the opening credits start rolling, they start giggling like the bumbling idiots they are, and I being a naive fool suspected nothing. Then about three minutes later they told me to check the ticket, to which I realised it was P.S. I Love You. Now I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of chick flicks, but the movie was so horrendous I think my brain was confused to what emotional reaction I was to have to it. The chemistry between the leads was non-existent and it was horribly cliched. So the joke wasn't just on me, but my two friends and everyone in the audience.

2) She tells me of how she wants to see the remake of some film featuring Sandra Bullock as the lead. Now all warning signals went off when I heard this, but stupidly I paid the $3 to borrow it to watch it with her the next day. Premonition has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. The fact that the movie is high budget with some reasonably large stars makes it worse - they actually tried!. I seriously picked the ending about 20 minutes into the film, and was utterly confused by the lack of continuity with the time skips - sooo many mistakes there. Anyway, yeah. It sucked ass.

Sorry about the overkill there, but I feel very strongely about the terribleness of these films. Plus I was bored.
Don't watch them, don't even touch the cover of the DVD/VHS.

frunK

« Reply #298 on: 05 May 2008, 06:23 »

The Covenant
My friend and his girlfriend dragged me to it. His girlfriend is a wiccan priestess, I don't know which of us were more offended, her by her belief system being raped by the Total Request Live generation or me by the fact this movie sucked harder then Gothika.

oddball

« Reply #299 on: 13 May 2008, 06:26 »

Reptilicus, a movie so bad that it has actually become something of a cult in itself.

as for a more recent crappy movie I have had the displeasure of watching: Southland tales,  a friend of mine recommended it to me, after i watched it i debated wether or not i should delete his phonenumber and all other contact information.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up