THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 753594 times)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Airports are so boring. At least I have some interwebs on the phone and music via the PSP.

So, when I was in omaha last night, I went into a bitchin record store and finally bought arcade fire's neon bible. I also found dashboard ninjas. These are my gift to my asian roommate. I picked up some cheap little animal carvings for my parents from buttfucknowhere Ida Grove, Iowa. That's where my stepmom's from. Holy crap is it a small town. Everyone knows each other. Everyone.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

My fucking jaw still barely works. fuck

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

there were lots of actors and camera people at my university today filming outdoor scenes for this show. it took ages to get to my classes. it looks stupid.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Guys, my meteorology textbook smells like gasoline.

I don't know what to do about this.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Guys, I have chorea. I hope I don't have Huntington's Disease, though.

Anthony
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Guys, my meteorology textbook smells like gasoline.

I don't know what to do about this.

Set it on fire?

Edit: Wow, out of context reply. Hangon.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES

More like "Fuck you, cute cashier girl!"  She's messing with your head, and she's doing it on purpose.  If you're a regular customer, she knows who you are, so she alternates almost-flirting with you with "you're just another customer" because it provides her with the only entertainment she can think of in her boring pointless job. 
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist

Not necessarily. I work retail, too, and faces just get lost in a sea. Sometimes you have good days, and just want to be nice and friendly with everyone you meet, and sometimes you have bad days, where some dud yells at you for the price of crap even though you are the absolute dead-last individual to have any control over prices. On those days, I wouldn't even be cordial to my own DAD, let alone Random Nice Stranger #1047.

But who knows? Ignorance or malicious cocktease... only the cashier knows for sure.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Or, y'know, guys don't have a monopoly on being confused and unsure of themselves around people they are attracted to. This wouldn't be the first time someone started ignoring a crush because they are too nervous.

Here's the thing: all three of the possibilities we've described could be true. It's silly to make too definite assumptions about others' motivations.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I posit solution number 4:

She's actually the prior cashier's identical twin. One has the hots for you, the other does not...yet.

Hijinks ensue. I would cast Sam in that movie.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Could be Dead Ringers, but with retail instead of gynecology.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Dear Blog Thread,

I totally got a job, and it wasn't even a job I'd applied for. Apparently the vacancy I applied for didn't actaully exist (nice one, vacancy people) but they still want me to work for them! Twelve hours a week, mostly four hour evening shifts with a random six hour Saturday every two weeks and therefore two three hour shifts on that week, and lots of moneys. I am very pleased.

Stupid thing though is that I told them that I could not, under no circumstances, go to the training thingy on Friday or Saturday of this week. So they put it on... yup, Friday and Saturday of this week. Since I told them at the interview that it was the only date I couldn't do, they have to reschedule it for me. Well, honestly.

I know it sounds like they're totally disorganised and useless but they're pretty good employers from what I heard, and a big company so there's no chance of unexpected unemployment. And they've even got rid of the horrible uniforms that looked like bus seats and now you just have to wear a nice blue shirt!

:-)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows

Dear blag,

Apparently when I was sleeping last night there was a button (the kind you pin on your shirt) lying on my bed and I somehow managed to break it and also eject the pointy part. Roughly ten seconds into waking up, I roll over and have the fucker push its way straight into my thigh. My thigh is sore.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Bleag Throd,

So, I applied to become Assistant Front Office Manager at my hotel. I've been here for 7 months and people who've been here longer actually come to me on how to do things. Hopefully I get this promotion because it would mean a pretty solid schedule and somewhere between a 2 and 5 dollar pay raise. I am confident that I might get picked, maybe.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Dear Beard Throb,

My workmates are letting me play dub very loudly in the office. This is a Good Thing.

With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

My workmates largely ignore me and kind of roll their eyes when I ask questions about stuff I haven't learnt to do yet. Fun times.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.

I'm leaving for New York tomorrow for ATP. I'm super excited to go, plus afterwards, we're going to NYC. I was supposed to be asleep 45 minutes ago because I've started taking sleeping pills and I can't sleep in later than 7.
After packing for the trip, I realized most of my wearable clothes is black (as I mentioned in another post, one of our cats ate holes in a lot of my shirts). I'm hoping I can go clothes shopping when I get back.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Cog tread,

So I met up with my best friend after a few weeks of time apart tonight. She's in medical school and over half of her total week is spent studying. Anyway, we had a bit of a... conflict. Well, not really a conflict, she just told me that she has no idea how I can remain so negative all the time, and that I need an outlet, and her frustration with me was almost palpable. She said that I was a "nothing", and she didn't really mean it in a mean way, she just means that I internalize everything and make myself inconspicuous. And she's right, I do, and for the last few weeks I've felt the need to express myself, I just don't know how. I'm anxious. She's always pushing me to be less afraid of risk, more assertive, happier. She just about slapped me when I declined an offer of a dance from a very attractive woman out of self-consciousness (I slapped myself repeatedly later on) This woman is the person I respect the most, and I want her to respect me in kind. So imagine my dread when she told me that the next time I see her (2 weeks from now) that I had better have done something I've never done before, something significant and daring. This was her throwing a shovel down at me and telling me that I had to dig myself out on my own. And I want more than anything to bring her that satisfaction (a fact she probably wouldn't like, given that this is supposed to be about me bettering myself)

So I have to find something to do. I have potential, maybe not for something extraordinary, but potential nonetheless, locked up in my gut and I need to get it out. I think that I want to make music, but I don't play instruments and I've never made music on the computer before (something ambient and textured is probably what I would want to create) I could maybe write something, but I have so much doubt, I don't think I could. I need something I can show to Rae that I won't shy away from. For the life of me I can't fucking figure out what to do.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Don't start with things you already have doubts about; try to find something totally new to you, so that you don't set yourself up for failure.  And to counter the charge of internalising, make it a task that involves interacting with people, rather than something that you can shut yourself away to do (like music or writing).

Are there any charitable projects accessible to you that you could offer to help with?  They could fit my suggestions and provide you with a supportive environment as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Do what ever you want to do! I love photography so I take photographs! First thing to get when making electronic music on a pc is probably a midi usb keyboard. Also some software, which can be expensive depending on where you get it from (woo torrents). I've only really tried Reason 3&4 which I think is the hottest shit, Darryl can give you a bit more advice if he's not too busy on his music production course. Go do things!

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch

Dear Blog Thread,
I am basically fucked. While my stupid university took forever to get back to me about my Financial Aid at all, now that I finally have my award letter, I have come to find out that I am still going to owe around $2000 for tuition. Fuck you, FASFA, because neither I nor my parents are going to be able to come up with your lousy $2000 before the semester is up. The last two years, I've recieved $14,000 in grants and loans, and had my tuition completely covered, and suddenly they're like, "Oh, no, i'm sorry, we're only going to give you $9000, mostly beacuse your Mom, the silly woman, made over $40,000 last year while your Dad just barely broke even. You'll be fine!". 

Luckily, I am fairly certain that I don't have to pay any of this money for a few more weeks yet. But that still doesn't help with the fact that: I DO NOT HAVE TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. MY PARENTS DO NOT HAVE TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. I was really depending on having something left over so that I could afford to pay off some of my bills, but noooo...everything is going to school. Fuckin' everything.

Basically, I am going to break down crying by the end of the day. I was so friggin' pissed about this, I forgot to switch out my books in my bag for class so I am sitting here in Anthropology with my Econ notes. Not very helpful.

Anyway, any ideas on how I can come up with two grand by Christmas?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Get a student  loan.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

ThePQ4

Technically, I already have them...
And I really dread taking out more loans that I can't afford.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Do like my ex girlfriend is going to. Join the Peace Corps so that taxpayers have to pay for a degree that you never intend to use.

To quote her: "After I get my bachelors, I'm going to join the Peace Corp to pay off my student loans. Then when I get back I'll try to get into [doctorate school place], then I dunno, maybe go be a vagrant or something, I don't know."

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH A FUCKING DEGREE! FUCK!

Note this blog thread, that's why I'm not in college. Also because I'm going to be a Kung Fu teacher.

ThePQ4

...Dude, if I went to Peace Corp. I would die. Not even kidding. I would just die.
I am assuming I am going to have to take out a loan, or just suck it up and come up with the money.
I'm just extremely frustrated by this, because apparently I am 5 credits short of Junior status, which means that I could have gotten an extra thousand dollars, but I am a dumbass and had to fail two classes last year.
I ended bawling in front of my Forensics coaches, which was embarrassing. And I almost cried in front of the FinAid lady, but I managed to keep it in.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

I don't! It's pretty easy, actually. I mean, fucking easy.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Word. If you're going into liberal arts you've got a good chance of your degree not really providing a clear line to a career. Unless you're in journalism, or something.

Do what ever you want to do! I love photography so I take photographs! First thing to get when making electronic music on a pc is probably a midi usb keyboard. Also some software, which can be expensive depending on where you get it from (woo torrents). I've only really tried Reason 3&4 which I think is the hottest shit, Darryl can give you a bit more advice if he's not too busy on his music production course. Go do things!
I think I have a copy of Reason, or maybe ACID, lying around on a hard drive somewhere. Guess I'd better save up and get a MIDI keyboard. To Newegg...

Don't start with things you already have doubts about; try to find something totally new to you, so that you don't set yourself up for failure.  And to counter the charge of internalising, make it a task that involves interacting with people, rather than something that you can shut yourself away to do (like music or writing).

Are there any charitable projects accessible to you that you could offer to help with?  They could fit my suggestions and provide you with a supportive environment as well.
I used to work for Habitat for Humanity, but that doesn't seem like a short notice sort of thing. I don't know, of any soup kitchens or the like around, although I'm sure I could ask about. Hmmm, if I were at an actual university there would certainly be groups and such that I could get involved with.

I was thinking about going up to the mountains. They're only 15 minutes away from my house and I haven't been out there in years. I might take photographs, but... I don't know. I think I might be assuming too much about what Rae wants. I mean, I'm remarkably inert, I have a very mundane life. She might be happy if I just went out and just did something, rather than something important.

I don't know, maybe I'll just ask somebody out to get coffee.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

I don't! It's pretty easy, actually. I mean, fucking easy.
But its an applied physics degree. and like, geographical physics applied to human biological lifeforms or some bullshit like that. Its a very fucking specific degree.

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

Do like my ex girlfriend is going to. Join the Peace Corps so that taxpayers have to pay for a degree that you never intend to use.
Man, that's not really fair. One IS actually WORKING when one is in the Peace Corps. Would you say that about people who take advantage of the GI Bill or state run schools?

Also, a lot of people are lost when they graduate college. Doing study in any particular field can be very disillusioning.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Man, that's not really fair. One IS actually WORKING when one is in the Peace Corps. Would you say that about people who take advantage of the GI Bill or state run schools?

Also, a lot of people are lost when they graduate college. Doing study in any particular field can be very disillusioning.

I'd say the same thing if they don't intend to do anything with their degrees. If she was going to be like "yeah, I want to get my degree and then go and work for the government to help create habitats for endangered animals" I'd be fine. But no, she said she plans to get her degree then be a vagrant. Why even get the degree?

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

But its an applied physics degree. and like, geographical physics applied to human biological lifeforms or some bullshit like that. Its a very fucking specific degree.

Well, you didn't say that!

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!

Why even get the degree?

Because learning is fun?
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I don't know. My friend asked me that question recently, and I don't even know what I'm going to be doing with the degree that I'm getting (Poli Sci) She had a point. I enjoy learning, but I could be doing other things. Elementary -> high school -> college -> steady job doesn't make for a very interesting life, does it?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Why even get the degree?

Because learning is fun?

But, why learn something you'll never use, gah! it goes against all logic. ALL LOGIC. Or learn it, but why spend money learning things. It doesn't make sense bloggers.

In other news, I've been at work for like 11 hours today. That sucks.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Jeez Patrick, you are such a slut. Gross.

Heh. If it makes you feel any better, Liz, the story's taken another turn since we got back together. Some friends of mine saw her in the hall at school the other day and she was kissing another dude.

I don't even have words to describe how I feel right now. I think when I get back to her place (I've been spending the last several weeks there, hence my lack of inter-nets) I'll just play guitar until she gets home. When she does I'll just be silent the whole time.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

That is kinda childish, dude.
Liz is touching me.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

It's more mature to not say anything than to shout and berate and insult..
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

I'd say the same thing if they don't intend to do anything with their degrees. If she was going to be like "yeah, I want to get my degree and then go and work for the government to help create habitats for endangered animals" I'd be fine. But no, she said she plans to get her degree then be a vagrant. Why even get the degree?
Clearly, she doesn't really plan on being a vagrant. She could start being a vagrant right now.

You'll find that a college degree is just a piece of paper you need to get certain jobs. It doesn't really matter what the degree is in as long as you have it. The fact is, most jobs, including most white collar jobs, train you as you go. The degree only opens the door.

tania

• famed sex columnist

i will be completely honest and say that describes my feelings exactly toward people who are taking out loans or having their parents pay for their philosophy degrees (sorry philosophy majors, i just think it's kind of a silly major), but mostly i ignore it cos i mean like some other forumites said, at least they're learning right? there's better things to complain about. or worse things i guess.

benji

• Bling blang blong blung

Granted you're unlikely to go in to "philosophy" as a career, but philosophy majors are highly valued in business, education, and law schools. Learning to think about complex ideas logically and rationally opens up a lot of potential for future careers in many different areas.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

i will be completely honest and say that describes my feelings exactly toward people who are taking out loans or having their parents pay for their philosophy degrees (sorry philosophy majors, i just think it's kind of a silly major), but mostly i ignore it cos i mean like some other forumites said, at least they're learning right? there's better things to complain about. or worse things i guess.
>:( boo
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

I'm majoring in sociology; there is definitely no jobs available for the job title "Sociologist". Social work is a different field entirely. Fargo has a ton of really well paying desk jobs with really good benefits (things like: typing up reports from law firms, transcribing law shit at one place, dealing with irate credit card customers, doing... something with maps, I'm not entirely sure) so I'm thinking of getting a full time job there after graduation (for the dollars and the benefits) and getting a part-time non-profit job to build up experience. And I have some people telling me that's the best idea, and other people telling me that's a waste of my degree. I don't know!

I have totally applied for the peace corps though! I have an application in process. It's not so they'll pay off my loans, though that's helpful, it's so I can travel while getting more experience and a wider worldview. A soc major who's never lived outside of North Dakota is a soc major who needs to live more.

And Mr. KvP, I like Paul's suggestion of volunteering, but there's so much more than soup kitchens, though those are very very worthwhile. You can use your talents! Around here there's a huge new American population in need of English and job skills. You could help a refugee make a resume on the computer. Show her or him how to use the internet! Read a book with one! There's a hospital here where you can volunteer to read to little kids in the waiting area while their parent(s) are visiting with a doctor. Even just going forth and putting forth the effort into talking with an agency is a step forward.

As for me, I totally had a breakdown the other day regarding the boy I'm with. I guess we've been making out and stuff since ...May?ish. Three years ago we were also together, and he dumped me for his ex only he never mentioned that. He just stopped talking to me. Anyway! I just realized that I'm basically in love with him and I'm scared to death. He's been nothing but wonderful this time around (I get footrubs!) but I'm still convinced that he's gonna pull the same thing.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

tania

• famed sex columnist

ah, what i meant was more people who specialize in philosophy and nothing else. phds and all that. point is it still isn't something i would openly criticize someone for; just because i think something is silly doesn't mean i'm right. there's bigger problems than the fact that people are in school.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2008, 22:29 by ephemere »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

And Mr. KvP, I like Paul's suggestion of volunteering, but there's so much more than soup kitchens, though those are very very worthwhile. You can use your talents! Around here there's a huge new American population in need of English and job skills. You could help a refugee make a resume on the computer. Show her or him how to use the internet! Read a book with one! There's a hospital here where you can volunteer to read to little kids in the waiting area while their parent(s) are visiting with a doctor. Even just going forth and putting forth the effort into talking with an agency is a step forward.
Those are good ideas, actually! I work at a junior college / library, I'm sure I could help people learn using the internet, or use Word, it's pretty much what I do for money anyway.

Before all that, though, Ruyi gave me some really good ideas that I am going to bring to fruition tomorrow. One, I am to find a public place and sit down and people watch. Over the course of a few hours, I will choose certain people out of the crowd, and write a story about them. How they got to where they are now, what they will proceed to do later in the day, etc. Two, I am to wander around town and I will not go home until I have had conversations with 5 people. Both of these things (particularly the latter) I would find very challenging. But they are both very creative and very good ideas, and I wish I'd thought of them. Ruyi is a lifesaver.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Dearest Interwebs,

So, I have decided I am going to aim to go to Chicagocon next year.  This is a Big Thing for me because I am so terrified at the thought of overseas travel, especially overseas travel by myself.  But I have decided it is time to sack up and go and hang out with the internets.

I am hoping to take a month off work and cruise around America, and I'm aiming to also zoom over to the UK and Scotland while I am at it.  May as well make the trip worthwhile.

I am not gaurnteeing this will happen, but it is my hopeful plan!  Plus if I am still single by then I can promise ill-advised webcest.

Love Jodizzle
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

That sounds great, Jodie. Hopefully we'll all get to see you.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff

Yay Jodie!

Guys the most amazing thing happened yesterday. I was walking to work, and this swarthy looking guy runs out from under the railway bridge, into the middle of the road. He almost takes out this old biddie on her bike, and screams out "I WANT TO FUCK MY SEESTER!" in this amazing accent, then runs past me and legs it off towards town. I almost doubled up laughing, it was so funny.

Also this morning I got a letter on my doorstep, detailing to me that the Jobseekers people have just given me my last installment of my JSA, plus an extra £100. Hooray, free monies!
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker

My kitty came home tonight! YAY

Then he ran away agian like 15 minutes later through a window I didn't know was open :(
WAH
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker

Well I wouldn't have a car to cruise around in :P  I was probably just going to take a bus.  But you better be going to Chicagocon.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Before/after Chicagocon you would be more than welcome to come hang out in Fargo, but I am guessing that you will want to go somewhere cooler, which I understand.

Jodie I really really really hope you can make it!
Liz is touching me.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 82   Go Up