THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 22 May 2024, 19:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 767770 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Also, community college is loads cheaper than regular Uni. So if you don't mind the lack of "university culture" (and moving from a "high school plus!" community college to a state university, I can tell you, holy shit is there a difference) you might as well get all your gen-ed credits out of the way, at less cost, with smaller class sizes and more face time with the instructors.

In any case, as a general rule, you don't get hired at a community college for your expertise, you get hired because you can teach. Sometimes at Uni that's not the case. My dad's Intro to Chemistry class at UCLA was taught by a Nobel Laureate, and he told me it was the worst class he'd ever taken.

So. Community College is a good deal, and generally all that's required of you for enrollment is a pulse. But if you're there for more than 2 years it can really chafe on you. But that's true of any institution, I suppose.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

My dad's Intro to Chemistry class at UCLA was taught by a Nobel Laureate, and he told me it was the worst class he'd ever taken.

You can figure out how to blow shit up 30 new ways every day, but it doesn't mean you can teach.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Simple enthusiasm and force of personality can count for a lot in a teacher; I had a rather young and inexperienced english teacher when I attended community college but he was the sort of guy who volunteered to organizeeverything and was an excellent public speaker. He loved poetry and language, which certainly helped, but at the end of the day his greatest strength was his ability to quickly and efficiently demonstrate to people what he wanted from them.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

So, saga:

When I moved into my house several years ago, I had to take over the lease because the house was empty. This was a last resort, as I'd been trying (and failing) to find a room in an existing share-house. This meant that for the two months it took me to find housemates, I was paying full rent for the house - A$1300 a month. I moved into the house in September; in Australia, tax returns are due on the 31st of October. Now, this is relevant because I operate effectively as a small business (or, technically, a "sole trader") which in the annoying Australian taxation system means I automatically get put into the "pay all your tax off in one lump-sum at the end of the year" pile. So when I moved into my house in September I had several thousand dollars saved up, which was my tax.

That all got spent on rent, instead.

So when it came time to pay my tax, I had to enter a payment scheme with the tax office, whereby I paid them money every fortnight to pay off my tax debt.

This was money that I was supposed to be saving up to pay off my next yearly tax amount . . . See a vicious cycle emerging here?

At the same time, unbeknownst to me, the tax office was sending bills to my old address - even though they had my current address (hint hint, tax office: it's the address I put on my tax return.) So last year, I had a steadily accumulating tax debt, gaining nice fat interest every month, because one part of the tax office can't communicate with another part of the tax office and update my address details. Eventually they managed to send the letters to the right address, and hey hey! Guess who has to pay off five grand of tax debt??

In the meantime, up until last year my work had been erratic at best in paying me on time, not to mention the amount they paid me. I work as a contractor for the public service, which means I get paid by the hour, which means when there's not much work around there's not much pay for me. This happened quite a lot. On top of that, sometimes my invoices would get lost in the bowels of the public service bureaucracy, and I'd have to wait up to three weeks longer than usual to get paid. These two things combined meant that I frequently had to resort to buying basic groceries on my credit card. And we all know where that road leads to.

Now, the icing on the debt cake is the holiday I just went on with my dad a few weeks ago. I've always maintained that if you're going to get into debt, do it traveling, and I have absolutely no regrets about hitting up my credit card to go on a three-week holiday in Sweden and Finland, because, hey, come on. But the upshot of it, after everything else that's been going on over the last few years that I've just described above, is that I have a credit card debt of A$6500, plus I owe my dad about A$3000 for the aeroplane ticket and various travel costs (hotels, meals, etc.). So I'm about ten grand in the hole.

Well, just a few minutes ago, completely unexpectedly, I got a call from my mum. My grandfather, her father, whom we all loved dearly and who I lived with for most of 2003, died a year or so ago, and my mum was ringing up to tell me that his house has been sold, and that she'd deposited A$5000 into my bank-account and had a cheque for a further A$20,000 to give me when I come up to Canberra this weekend to visit her and dad. This is my inheritance.

Holy fuck. Holy holy fuck. I'm debt-free! I can't fucking believe it.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

Wow. Sorry about your grandfather, but also congratulations, I guess!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

I'm luckily only in debt to my parents right now. They don't bother me as much as creditors because they know I'll pay them back when I'm done with my schoolings.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

That's the biggest thing that worries me about going to college. I've spent a lot of energy, time and money on working toward a career in music. I really can't afford to go in debt, because unless I'm damn lucky or just too talented to deny work (and I have no delusions of that kind of excellence), I'm pretty well fucked. But if I don't get some formal training, I'll be banking my living on what I've taught myself over 5 years, and who wants to live with that uncertainty?

Basically I'm pretty well fucked.

EDIT: My mother sent me the following article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-quigg/just-what-this-heartsick_b_136494.html

Highlights:
Quote from: the article, right under the picture of Bush with some dude and some lady
The U.S. released several detainees to Albania. After a few weeks in Albania, the detainees said they preferred captivity in Guantanamo Bay to freedom in Albania.

Hahahaha holy balls that made my day.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 00:48 by Patrick »

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

hey there, blog thread.
i have been stressed out with a lot of stupid shit that has apparently disintegrated the part of my brain responsible for the onset of sleep. it's been a few weeks on only an hour or two a night but i'm incredibly productive so it isn't completely bad.

good things, though:

- i love counselling (i was worried it would make me go insane using the logic that if i can barely get my own life together, how the hell am i supposed to be supportive and caring to complete strangers, but really it's been incredibly rewarding thus far), and

- my housemate got a monk parakeet and holy shit i have never seen anything so cute and awesome in my entire life.

hurray!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Dear blog thread,

I think I'm moving to California. It's SNOWING IN OCTOBER.

Shiveringly yours,
Shane
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I am jealous! I want snow in October, and preferably all through to March, and proper snow, not this slushy crap we've had the past couple of years.

Anyways, blog thread, I'm starting to panic about my upcoming exams (in December), but I cannot for the life of me sit down and actually do something about it, because it all seems so daunting and impossible, so it feels like sitting down to do something about it won't help at all. Also, the Norwegian krone took a beating last night, apparently, so now, due to our annoyingly low duty/VAT-limit on imported stuff (it has remained the same since the 70s or something...), I will have to pay US$15 more for 3 t-shirts from Threadless than I would've had to if things had just remained the same. Goddamnit. Here's to hoping the value of our krone will go up again before the t-shirts arrive in Norway, but I doubt it :/
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 04:21 by Ladybug »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Dear blog thread,

I think I'm moving to California. It's SNOWING IN OCTOBER.

Shiveringly yours,
Shane

But Shaaane that girl does not live in California. Stay where you are!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Haha, very true. I texted her this morning and she said she was glad I'm back east.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

mooface

mooface update:

i have awesome new friends but my not-so-awesome old friends are fucking up my shit.

i am really super busy but in a good way, doing things i love.

i have no money.

i'm going to be in dublin this weekend woohoo.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

But Shaaane that girl does not live in California. Stay where you are!

No Shane, move to California, that ridiculously cute girl we advised on the aviator cap (to stunning effect) is probably a student at Berkeley.

Besides if you move to California we can have rockouts on a fairly regular basis!

valley_parade

• coprophage

Track her down and ship her east for me before you leave for Lawlbania.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

The honours students in our lab hand in their theses today. Which means super thesis mega meltdown crisis mode day!

Also, fuck the weather. Sydney is not supposed to be this cold in October. Bah.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Lines

• Awakened

Today I save the assistant manager from death by metal shelf falling on his head. I told him to remember this day if he ever thinks I'm trying to steal his job. (Which is silly, because we work the same amount of hours and though I'm not sure how much the pay difference is, I doubt it's much.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

The Student's Union AGM voted down a measure to increase the funding of the paper that I work for from $4 per student per semester to $6 and we're putting it to a referendum.

Get ready to play some hardball, motherfuckers.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Shane I dunno if it's legal to ship people in boxes. Besides I am pretty sure that people only go to Berkeley because having a degree from such a reputable school is pretty damn impressive to, well, the world.

Edit: holy fuck I hate long-distance relationships. I am really missing her.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 18:55 by Patrick »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I am the only forumite with the fuckin' balls, and you all know this, the fuckin' balls to say:

Ptommydski I damn thee, you motherfucking cocksucking son of a B, can I get a fuckin' A?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

Fuck you guys.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Wow you guys are really confusing.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Sean you little bastard. Get rid of my avatar NOW.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Dimmukane

• juicer

Guys I turn 21 tomorrow and I am probably gonna be too drunk to tell you all apart.  I apologize in advance if I hit on everyone with a duped avatar.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I thought you lived in one of those countries with a pre-21 drinking age. Are you an Amurkan?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer

Yes.  And apparently, people in Baltimore pronounce it like that.  Damned if I've ever met one who did, though.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Yeah, I've never met anyone who pronounces "Amurka" like that. Not even in the deep south.

That having been said, I'm open to the possibility of it being pronounced like that in Bodymore. Since I'll never visit, I consider myself an agnostic.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung

I could have sworn that i heard Charles Barkley pronounce it Amurka
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Inlander

• coprophage

Doesn't George Dubya Bush pronounce it "Amurka" pretty much every time? You know, as in: "Tourists are threatening Amurka with nucular weapons."

Dimmukane

• juicer

Yeah, us Baltimoreans say Amerka.  Well, I don't, but that's how the cityfolk do. 

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

dear blog thread,

it seems like i have been sick for the past month or so which has made me even less productive than usual. 
now it feels like i am never going to catch up on my schoolwork because i'm not the sort of person that can just focus, pull a few all nighters and get everything done. i enjoy sleep too much. and oh hey guess what, if i don't do well this semester my parents won't support me financially at all anymore. guess i should start looking for a job because i fail at this whole university thing.  blah.

anxiously yours,
anna
ps-you are all confusing me with your avatar switching
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Yeah, I've never met anyone who pronounces "Amurka" like that. Not even in the deep south.

You must not have been digging deep enough. Try Columbus, Georgia. My cousin Ben says "Amurka" and "Hell yay-uh" and "Wull, sheeit!" when something goes wrong.

Dear mog pred,

I get to visit my girlfriend in February! The State Department gives my mom an R&R break once a year since Albania's so shitty, and I get to go with her. So my mom, being the understanding person that she is, decided she's gonna use up some of the ridiculous amounts of miles we've gathered over the last few years and use them to buy me a ticket to Alaska while she's hanging out in Soviet Canuckistan with friends of hers.

I told Tara about this, and I won't go into details (and you know me, I would love to), but she is really goddamn excited.

Excited indeed
       \
         :-D

That is all.

Love,
Me!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

So I ran into my friend Rose today, and she told me that I looked different, that I looked happier, which was news to me, as I was having one of those days where you just hate life, and from that point forward in the day I was really, really upbeat. She also promised me some art, which is something that I've been looking forward to for almost a year. That woman is my heart.

It's really great, being at a point at which I can't say that I don't have people who love me, even when I'm completely despondent. I could get used to this.

In bad news, my cousin has joined the service, for some reason (I guess he was fucking up his life. So it could be that he needs this, but all the same, what the fuck) There is a silver lining, though, as once he ships out there will be a vacancy in his apartment (he lives with my other cousin) and thus I will have a pretty nice place to move into next year, if all goes well.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Guys, uh basically, my life sucks, and I don't know why I am telling you, but I kinda wish it'd just end already, and I am tried of having panic attack every time I breathe, and if one more person tells me that I should just move I will seriously just punch them in the face because I can't afford to move. I work a minimum wage paying job. I work 40+ hours a week. It barely pays my bills. And I hate my life a lot, and man I am 20 year old, and work a shitty job, and live with my parents, and have no friends really, and don't get along with anyone, and am just bitter, and cynical, and it's all my fault really, and I can't afford college, and I can't afford a better life, and basically why am i not dead already? Does this ever get any better? Because people have been telling me that it will get better for as long as I can remember and it hasn't yet.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Yes it does - but not necessarily when you expect.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Dear Blog Thread,

Last night I said the most amazing thing in a dream.  I was in America in this bizarre cafe with PIES THE SIZE OF A CAT (probably not cat pie though) and I asked if they had coffee.  They asked me what coffee was (you backwards Americans) and I described coffee in the most excellent way ever:
"A small animal, white and fluffy, which people drink"

I wioke up and was all......

Also, on a crap note, Loxley messaged me and told me one of my chickens is dying :(
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Besides I am pretty sure that people only go to Berkeley because having a degree from such a reputable school is pretty damn impressive to, well, the world.

You realize we have Williams and Amherst and uh..what's that one called? OH YEAH HARVARD.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

PIES THE SIZE OF A CAT

Cats aren't all that large you know.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn

They are often bigger than your average 9-to-10" pie, though.
Ho, ho, ho!

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Well Old Man Hocking, they were PIES THE SIZE OF A REALLY BIG CAT.

Jeez, why you gotta always gotta bring the kids down?
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Inlander

• coprophage

Emaline, at the risk of sounding patronising: 20 is far too young to giving up. Life doesn't necessarily ever stop being a constant struggle to keep your head above water, but it does start to get better once you start getting older and achieve a measure of self-determination. You're only just at the beginning of your adult life now: one day you will have a better job, you will be earning more money, you will be able to move out of home, you will be able to afford the time and money to go out and make friends and generally start enjoying life. Unfortunately none of these will necessary last: life goes down just as much as it goes up, and you may find yourself back at rock-bottom some time. But whatever happens in your life, none of it is ever permanent - and that applies to the bad, as well as the good. Life is tricky and confounding and horrible and disappointing and brilliant and amazing and wonderful and surprising; at 20 you've barely even started to taste it yet. Give it time.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Tommy, I haven't drank since I met the pirate. And even then I didn't get all that drunk. I haven't been really drunk in a long time. Though I want to drink a lot, I haven't. I just don't have the time for it anymore. I really don't drink that often.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

öde

Emaline you are rad and you should do rad things. Have you tried doing arty things? Any kind of creative process might make you feel better.

Lines

• Awakened

I dunno what this icon thing is, but John, you are lucky I like you.

We rearranged the store today! So of course while half of our stock was in piles on the floor, we were busy! And now that we're done, we're dead!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I steal because I care <3
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tuna ketchup x

My job is killing my creativity and desire to live. I had my employee evaluation last week and flunked, epically. The highlight is when my boss said "this job is just a paycheck to you, ISN'T IT?" and it's like, um, yeah, I work in a soulless office? She wants me to be the head receptionist so I can be more down with people, because apparently she thinks I am a hermit with no friends because I don't TALK about my home life at work. (They're separate, alright?) I'm not going to do that, though, because it's not my job description and she doesn't have the ability to bait and switch. She's already tried to do this to other workers, the young ones she doesn't like because they still have the breath of life in them, and been shot down by the big bosses downtown. So anyway, because of this talking-to my self-worth has gone completely down the drain and I can't focus on my art and music because I'm reminded that my work should be my life and my fiancee had to hear me ranting and raving all weekend about the dried-up old biddies I work with who have no lives and that's why they're trying to devalue mine. When I get home all I want to do is crawl up in the corner with my DVDs. And that, my messageboard "friends," is the story of my life right about now. My fiancee says that I can quit when we're married, but I'm not going to be a bloodsucking wench. And I don't have the motivation to look for another job because: 1. my self-worth is shot to hell, 2. I don't have the time because a. I sleep all the time I'm not working, b. on the few occasions I'm doing neither my fiancee likes to be super-social and is dragging me to clubs and things. This sucks! I need my alone time!

The tragedy really is that I have so much in savings (my parents were afraid to spend money, and it rubbed off on me, ahoy) and actually have sold some of the artwork I produced for fairly decent amounts of money. This was several years ago, but I might still have "it." But I'm too afraid of turning into the sponge-wife to quit my job and live the dream of being a full-time artist/musician/writer/hopes, wishes, and shit-maker. Boo hoo, I'm an American!

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

hey lug shred
I didn't do a paper for my film class because I am a FOOL. I have a need to not have fun, and actually accomplish some things. *pounds desk* Today, I do some homework.
Also, funny thing, everytime someone decides to be my friend on Last.fm, I get the automated email from the wrong perspective.
Like, "Hi [person who is not me],
De_El has been added to your friends list on Last.fm.

De_El's profile page:
   http://www.last.fm/user/De_El

Your profile page:
   [something else]"
How odd!  It has happened four times now.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Dear blog thread,

Tomorrow I get to go flying with my dad! It has been forever since I flew in a small plane. They are really so much better than those godawful Silver Death Tubes that I have grown so accustomed to. It's going to be a Champion Citabria, which is a beautiful little high-wing taildragger (as opposed to having a nosewheel like those godawful Cessnas tend to have).

Basically tomorrow is going to be awesome.

Love,
Me!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

One of the best feelings in life:

Getting back a paper that says "A+ Thank you for the great read."
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 82   Go Up