THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 May 2024, 09:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 762297 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Emaline! I had Nos today.

It is not good. I thought I was having a heart attack. I hated the feeling so much that I had to take one of my old pills for when I used to get panic attacks (muscle relaxants.)

Yes, it is terrible stuff. I had some while playing rock band last night. I drank it at midnight, and didn't get to bed until well after the sun was up. I still feel ill from it.

Ally, I was just giving you trouble. I know you didn't mean it like that really.

Also, guys, uh...I am kinda considering moving to Chicago. Basically, my best friend in the whole world live there. He really hates his roommates in his dorm, and wants to move out and into an apartment, which he found out is cheaper. Basically, I am at pretty much a stand still with where I'm at now. I don't see me progressing any further at my job, I'm not in school, I literally have one friend who lives in Edwardsville. Basically there is not much reason for me to stay here other than it is safe. I mean, yeah, a lot of it sucks, but at least I am not homeless, you know? If I move to Chicago, there is a chance for things to be different. I mean, I'd be living with my best friend in the world. We are both terrible awkward, but would have awesome adventures together. Ideally, I'd move up there to go to college*, and thus be actually progressing in my life, and hopefully be in a creative environment. I mean, I don't know. I don't see why I shouldn't do it, other than, you know, the chance of being homeless and broke, and basically screwing up my life more so than it already is.So uhh...good idea? Bad idea? Should I do this??

*Paging Joe Hocking to this thread. Give me some good Chicago art schools that I can attend and go for printmaking.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building

hah, okay. tania, I don't even have a reason to be afraid of driving, people around here mostly obey traffic laws and aren't unusually obnoxious and all of that. I just am a huge wimp. I almost cry every time I have to make a left turn at an intersection. unattractive.

emaline, I hear that the school at the art institute of chicago (saic) is a really awesome place but it is all types of expensive. still, something to keep in mind - maybe if you weren't enrolled you could take classes there?
(also tania gives good advice! I was going to try to add something but then I realized that I know more about art schools than about moving places.)
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2008, 16:56 by Allybee »
radical dame

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

emaline: how long have you been planning this? if it's a recent epiphany, sleep on it a bit. you seem like you've been really unhappy where you are for a while now but it's probably a good idea anyway to just wait it out a bit and make sure you don't change your mind. if you're still really serious about it in a month or two i'd say it's worth making plans for. as long as you're staying in the country i can't imagine moving would be that much of a hassle.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

I am pleased that eris used my amorphous blob description of the faceless majority on the forum.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

It's actually an idea that I have kind of toyed with for awhile.

Years ago I was supposed to go to the school that my friend is currently attending. However, I came up $6,000 short, and my parents decided to buy a motorcycle instead of send me off to school.

When my friend went there, he begged me to join him. I refused to, claiming it was stupid idea to begin with and I shouldn't have tried the first time(woo hoo self confidence!). But I've wanted to go forever. I love Chicago, and I've spent a lot of time there(when I was possibly going to Columbia College Chicago).

Now that he really doesn't like his roommates, he is planning on moving out into an apartment as soon as he can, and is looking for roommates. We've talked about me moving out with him a couple of times, and like I said, it's basically an idea we've toyed with.

I'd like to go to school, and I do love Columbia, but I'd really like to major in printmaking, and they don't offer it there. So my goal is to find a school there, visit, search for jobs, and move up there. MAYBE.

(And I wouldn't even be moving out of state! Just seven hours away)
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

*Paging Joe Hocking to this thread. Give me some good Chicago art schools that I can attend and go for printmaking.

SAIC has been mentioned, and that's the number 3 art school in the country (in general anyway; in the specific area of printmaking it does take a tumble.) As you already noted Columbia College isn't a place for printmaking (good art school, but mostly more modern practices like photography, graphic design, and new media.)

For someone really interested in printmaking and fixed on Chicago I would probably recommend looking at the art department of one of the many universities here, like UIC (probably best location for you too unless your friend happens to attend either of the next two I list) or U of Chicago or Northwestern.

As for whether or not you should move to Chicago, um well I know nothing about your life situation. The main thing I want to point out is if your friend thinks having his own apartment is cheaper than living in a dorm, he is almost certainly mistaken. Probably not worth bringing up with your friend, because if he is set on getting his own place then all you'd accomplish is getting in an argument, just fyi.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2008, 17:26 by jhocking »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Nana update: She had a mini stroke and they are keeping her in the hospital for a few days. She is absolutely foul because she hates the hospital. I'll probably be going to visit her tomorrow no matter how pissed off she gets.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

As for whether or not you should move to Chicago, um well I know nothing about your life situation. The main thing I want to point out is if your friend thinks having his own apartment is cheaper than living in a dorm, he is almost certainly mistaken. Probably not worth bringing up with your friend, because if he is set on getting his own place then all you'd accomplish is getting in an argument, just fyi.
He is not mistaken. It actually is cheaper to get an apartment than live in the dorms at Columbia. I had a roommate while he was at Columbia and it was cheaper for him to share our 4 bedroom apt than it was for him to live in the dorms. If you move to Pilsen or further south, rent is even cheaper. Just don't move to Joe's neighborhood.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Emaline! I had Nos today.

It is not good. I thought I was having a heart attack. I hated the feeling so much that I had to take one of my old pills for when I used to get panic attacks (muscle relaxants.)

Pro Tip: DON'T SLAM THE WHOLE THING.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

I was really angry about things and so I just rearranged all the very heavy furniture in my very small room (there was a hundred-point turn with the bed that almost resulted in an Austin Powers style wedge between two walls) and now I feel much better. Also my room seems roomier! I swear!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Dearest Blog Thread,

I just got done with work (it is one in the morning) and as I pull up to my apartment there are at least eight police cars outside. I pull into my space and notice that there are people standing outside watching the building. So I start heading to the door and a police officer with an assault rifle greets me at the door and asks me what floor I am going to. I tell him second and ask what is going on.

Apparently there is a dude on the fifth floor that spent the night throwing things out his window and onto parked cars. When the police tried to go into his apartment they found it barricaded from the inside and the man told them that he had guns.

Oh boy.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

He is not mistaken. It actually is cheaper to get an apartment than live in the dorms at Columbia. I had a roommate while he was at Columbia and it was cheaper for him to share our 4 bedroom apt than it was for him to live in the dorms. If you move to Pilsen or further south, rent is even cheaper. Just don't move to Joe's neighborhood.

This is basically it. He is looking at Belmont area places, which I have no clue where that is, but rent for a three bedroom 2 bathroom is like $1,000 something. Which would then be split amongst three people, at least, so is would be pretty cheap.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Dearest Blog Thread,

I just got done with work (it is one in the morning) and as I pull up to my apartment there are at least eight police cars outside. I pull into my space and notice that there are people standing outside watching the building. So I start heading to the door and a police officer with an assault rifle greets me at the door and asks me what floor I am going to. I tell him second and ask what is going on.

Apparently there is a dude on the fifth floor that spent the night throwing things out his window and onto parked cars. When the police tried to go into his apartment they found it barricaded from the inside and the man told them that he had guns.

Oh boy.

Don't get shot, please.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

I will do my best not to!

(P.S. did you ever get the PM I sent you?)
Liz is touching me.

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.

Dear diary

Its snowing in here.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

Dear Liz, it is clearly the ghost of the still living Bob Dylan. Don't fuck with him! If that happens again, feel free to call and come over. We were playing Guitar Hero, which is arguably safer.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Oh hey, someone else is awake at this time of day! I will be sure to call you if there is ever a gun-wielding madman in my apartment and I am not doing homework.

UPDATE: People are still standing outside! But at least four of the police cars are gone, so I do not know what is happening.
Liz is touching me.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Dude you should have one of the cops write you a note excusing you from class tomorrow. When the cop specifies an armed threat I don't think there's a professor in the world who could deny you at least a day's break.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung

This is basically it. He is looking at Belmont area places, which I have no clue where that is, but rent for a three bedroom 2 bathroom is like $1,000 something. Which would then be split amongst three people, at least, so is would be pretty cheap.

DePaul University is a short train ride away from the Belmont/Clark red line El stop. They don't seem to have printmaking though http://las.depaul.edu/art/Programs/Concentrations/index.asp

As already mentioned, the Art Institute is a good option, its about a 30 minute train ride away downtown.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Well I wasn't just referring to rent. That is in fact the big deluding point for people; the cost of living on your own vs. living in a dorm means a lot more than just the cost of rent. For example, all your furniture, electricity, internet access, and all the other amenities the dorm provides.

That said, I have no idea what the dorms cost at Columbia. It could very well be that it's cheaper to move out there. I was speaking more from general experience, how everywhere else people make the mistake of only paying attention to rent and thus thinking it's cheaper to get a place off-campus.

He is looking at Belmont area places, which I have no clue where that is, but rent for a three bedroom 2 bathroom is like $1,000 something. Which would then be split amongst three people, at least, so is would be pretty cheap.

Seriously? Man, living in NYC for a couple years really skewed my perception of real estate values.

Hey dennis, where is Belmont area anyway? I'm assuming that isn't a reference to Belmont Ave, because that's just one eL stop south of me and 3-bedrooms are at least twice that in this neighborhood.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2008, 05:40 by jhocking »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Hey Joe I am living in a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment. Rent is $460 a month including heat/air and water.

UPDATE: News story! http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=220669&section=news&freebie_check&CFID=112413741&CFTOKEN=82616713&jsessionid=88304a805bfc5e496345
Liz is touching me.

Lines

• Awakened

I have no idea where Belmont is, but around the pricier places here, usually you can rent a house for $800-900 and will have 3-5 people living there. Apartments are usually between $500-800.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

tuna ketchup x

When I got my own apartment, my costs were slashed in half, because I didn't have to buy a meal plan. The dorm-cost and apartment-cost (both singles) were roughly the same, at approx. 400 a month. I went to school in a small town, not a big city, but I've even heard from Pittsburghers that it's cheaper not to live on campus. So yeah.

I moved to the big city with $500 safety net money, no job, and only a few contacts. If I hadn't done it, I'd be dead. Sometimes you just really need to jump into things without thinking or you'll regret it the rest of your life. Nobody ever said "I wish I'd never taken that chance, I wish I'd have stayed in the little town with the crappy job" on their deathbed. I say go.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Aww dang. Here:

FARGO - A standoff with Fargo police at a downtown Fargo building ended after officers took a 21-year-old man into custody.

Police arrested Zachary Steffens, a Fargo man wanted on an outstanding warrant for assault on a police officer, at the Gardner Building shortly after 7 this morning.

There were three people in the apartment building. Apparently Steffens was the only one arrested.

The warrant stemmed from an Aug. 23 incident where Steffens allegedly beamed a laser pointer into an officer's eye and burned the officer's cornea, Fargo Police Sgt. Jeff Skuza said.

Police and SWAT team members responded after officers received a call around 11:30 p.m. Sunday on a report of people tossing things out of a fifth floor window.

Fargo Police Sgt. Greg Lemke told WDAY AM Radio that officers went to that apartment unit to talk with the occupants and blocked off the area surrounding the building.

When officers arrived and announced they were there, officers heard comments about guns and occupants saying they would not be arrested without a shootout with police, Lemke said.

North Dakota State University officials had announced it would close its nearby downtown campus building. However, with the standoff over, NDSU said business and classes would resume as normal.

North Dakota court records show Steffens is currently facing charges for misdemeanor possession of marijuana and felony delivery of marijuana on an unrelated case. He is set to change his plea on the felony charge on Nov. 10. The misdemeanor charge has an Aug. 23 offense date - the same as the assault on a police officer charge Steffens was arrested.

In addition, Steffens has a 2007 conviction for false information to police and a 2008 conviction for minor in possession or consumption of alcohol.

Read www.inforum.com and listen to WDAY AM Radio for more details. More will be available in Tuesday's Forum.
Liz is touching me.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

Fuck you people and your suburb bullshit. My apartment is a two bedroom, one bathroom basement apartment running $1040 a month, utilities are not included in that (Fortunately, living in the basement means we don't need to pay for heat, but it drives our electric up to about $140 a month in the summer). All told, my split between rent, electric and cable bill tends to run in the mid $600s from month to month.

That all said, the money I save on commuting is phenomenal. I spend $59 flat every month for an unlimited subway pass and it is extremely rare I ever have to go beyond what the T services. Occasionally, I spring $6.75 one way for a trip up to NH to visit the folks. It sure as Hell beats shelling out $40 a week on gas, plus payments and insurance.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Metope

dr blg thrd,

Tomorrow I have my first exam this semester, and I'm not the least bit nervous. I alway get tons of nerves right before an exam, so this is new to me. I'm not really prepared for the exam either (hell, I'm writing this instead of reading like a maniac like I should be doing), and I've heard it's a pretty difficult one. What is wrong with me? I'm getting nervous for not being nervous, but that's not the kind of nervous I'm looking for! The only explanation I can think of is that my subconscious already gave up on this exam. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll pass it, but getting good grades? Nah, no way.

Love,
Kris
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Jon I do not live in the suburbs. I live right in the heart of downtown.
Liz is touching me.

Lines

• Awakened

Your downtown is not anywhere near like Boston, though.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

When I got my own apartment, my costs were slashed in half, because I didn't have to buy a meal plan.

So your apartment offered free food? Or did you just cut out the unnecessary luxury of eating when you moved?

And Liz, about 90% of places in the US not called New York City or Chicago are suburbs by our standard.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck

Today is Superhero/villain day at my school, where we are encouraged to dress up and act like superheros/villains.  Come three o clock, I am

DOCTOR MOUSTACHE RYDER

...or something.

mooface

this weekend i:

had an excuse to wear my swimsuit & a pink wig out in public

partied

watched hermaphrodite porn

jumped out of a fucking plane

yeah, it was a pretty decent weekend.

tania

• famed sex columnist

every so often two of my closest friends get into these fights where each tries to gross each other out more than the other one and it always inevitably ends with hermaphrodite porn and everyone silently crowding around the computer screen in nervous awe.
it's really something.

hey blog thread, in an attempt to make myself feel better about my plunge into academic ruin and also make my ear-holes look respectable to society, i ordered these labradorite stone plugs a couple of weeks ago -

they arrived today and they are so lovely. it is impossible to tell from the photo but they are very reflective and colourful and almost iridescent. in a lot of ways it was probably a stupid pointless thing to do since i really shouldn't be spending any money at all but YAAAAY PRETTY THINGS

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

There is a big piece of labradorite in a rock garden on UW campus and it is my friend. I would go and sit on it in first year when I thought of home.
I have never seen labradorite in that colour before, I'm used to seeing it in blue/green. Super shiny when polished properly/wet.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

every so often two of my closest friends get into these fights where each tries to gross each other out more than the other one

Oh my god I would destroy them. Hermaphrodite porn is like a petting zoo compared to some of the stuff out there.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Gosh, the Internet has anonymous invective!  Just like eighteenth century pamphlets, then.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Actually, the student newspaper of the University of Edinburgh did something similar last week. "rascism rampant on facebook."

Everyone I know was like ' ...  what? There are angry people on the internet? No way!'

I guess the media isn't up to speed on this?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

tania

• famed sex columnist

i am in the library studying and on the way here i passed a girl who looked exactly like maiada and actually got halfway through nonchalantly waving and saying "oh, hi maiada" before it occured to me that maiada neither goes to the same university nor lives in the same country as me.

blogging more than once in a day is probably pretty silly but i felt this recent event provided a lovely summary of how busy i've been lately. clearly someone needs to get more sleep. and it's probably me.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Jesus, tommy.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

tommy, please don't die.

Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

Hey Joe I am living in a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment. Rent is $460 a month including heat/air and water.

You live in Fargo. I'm surprised they don't have to pay people to live there. Y'know, like they do in Alaska.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture

bwah.
Friends want me to do track with them. I'm scared of the evil dykes that do nothing but exercise. They're scary. For real. If it wasn't for them, I'd do it but I dunno. I think I'll run a bit at home first maybe.
I really want to get in shape.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Joe it is honestly not that bad aside from the flatness and the weather during the winter. People here are generally pretty nice and traffic is not bad and there are good colleges.
Liz is touching me.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

propaganda

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

bwah.
Friends want me to do track with them. I'm scared of the evil dykes that do nothing but exercise. They're scary. For real. If it wasn't for them, I'd do it but I dunno. I think I'll run a bit at home first maybe.
I really want to get in shape.

Hi! If you're referring to people who're genuinely lesbians who exercise a lot and take pleasure in the pain of others, then please continue. Otherwise, please take your homophobic insults elsewhere. Thanks!
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I was going to make some joke about wood chippers, but then I realized that probably gets made anyone brings up Fargo, and that you're probably really tired of that.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!

Gosh, the Internet has anonymous invective!  Just like eighteenth century pamphlets, then.

Man, Paul, every time I think you're basically as awesome as you can get, you throw another thing out there. (I study religion/religious radicalism in 17th/18th century Britain, so 18thC pamphlets are basically all I read sometimes).

Also, Blog Thread! Today I kind of asked out a girl for the first time in forever. I was pretty confident she would not turn me down, but it feels kind of great to have met someone I am interested in who I'm fairly confident is interested in me, however it pans out. It's certainly been a while.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

my dad walked in on me mid-toke last night while me two friends were smoking a bowl. it was surprisingly not weird at all.

Dad: "you been messin' with the thermostat again?"

Me (breathing out smoke): "i have never once touched the thermostat in all the years we've lived here."

Dad: "well shit it's set to 67 and i sure as hell didn't adjust it."

Me: "*cough* we have this conversation every couple of weeks, dad. i've never touched the thing. maybe it adjusts itself somehow?"

Dad: "mmmm......okay. hey, if Obama gets elected, we're having a party! can't let those bastards steal it from us this time."

Me: "okay then."

Dad (aimlessly wandering away, mumbling): ".......cocksuckers.....*grumble*.....mother fuckers.... "

i've never really been super open about smoking pot with my parents (even though they smoke pot and definitely don't care if i do) so it was funny because i played it super cool but my friends didn't really know if it was chill or not so they were freaked out.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Are we playing Rank! ?

If so, please rank the following -

Jesus
Tommy
Silkworm
Dames

Is this a trick question? Everyone knows there's nothing like a dame.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 82   Go Up