THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 08:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 940872 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

gobble gobble! we opened for them once. what a weird dude onstage but what a perfectly nice dude when he gets out of the cape
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

Okkervil River and Titus Andronicus goes on sale friday.  I'm in debt from Sasquatch tickets but I must find a way.  This will be the greatest musical summer ever...

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

Hurrrgh. That's the day the EitS/Arcade Fire tickets go on sale, too. To complicate matters further, I found out Arcade Fire are playing here (at school) before the semester's up. Guys! I could see Arcade Fire three times in the course of a couple months! I have no intention of doing this but it just complicates the musical factors of deciding where to spend the summer that much further.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

I am taking a vacation of shows in March to let my wallet breathe a bit.
Coming back strong on April 1st with Shad ad then,
Toro Y Moi, with Braids + Adventure, April 8th.
Black Lips, with Vivian Girls, April 15th.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, April 29th.
Video Games Live!, April 30th.
Of Montreal, with Painted Palms + Braids, May 2nd.
(maybe) Tune-Yards, May 13th.
Friendly Fires, May 26th.
Yeasayer, June 8th.

Yup.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!

Got my Okkervil River tickets for Fox Theater Oakland, yee
it's time to stop posting

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom

Wormrot + Tombs playing fifteen minutes away later this month

I need to go to there

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Okay so The Decembrists are playing in Glasgow tomorrow, and I have a ticket, but the guy I was going to go with has just bailed, which means less people to entertain me on the train journey over (although this isn't necessarily a problem, I can bring a book or something), but at the same time there are three flat parties here in Edinburgh I could be attending (one I should be attending, and will be going to once I get back from Glasgow either way) which might be more fun.

Anyone seen The Decembrists yet? Do they play stuff from their newer album (which I love) mainly, or is it a lot of stuff (which I'm less familiar with and enjoy less).
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

You should ask Yelley, she got "married" onstage at a recent Decemberists gig.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses

They played Sasquatch during their Hazards of Love tour and their set was basically that album in its entirety. That's probably not still true, though.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

The Pitchfork festival just announced its lineup and it's pretty impressive.

Animal Collective / TV on the Radio / Fleet Foxes
Cut Copy / The Dismemberment Plan / Deerhunter
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti / Destroyer / James Blake / OFWGKTA
Das Racist / Kylesa / Curren$y / Woods / Yuck / Sun Airway
more to be announced soon...

Tickets are on sale presently (pretty cheap at $110 for a three day pass) and are bound to go within days, if not hours.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses

Fleet Foxes as a headliner? I know they're huge (and good) but they put on such a mellow, sleepy show.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

I saw them open for Wilco a few months before their album dropped (and subsequently got named pitchforks album of the year).  Some guys next to me were trashing them, but I really enjoyed the set.  They didn't have the most prodigious stage presence when I saw them, but this was before they could sell out concert houses as headliners.

valley_parade

• coprophage

The Pitchfork festival just announced its lineup and it's pretty impressive.

Animal Collective / TV on the Radio / Fleet Foxes
Cut Copy / The Dismemberment Plan / Deerhunter
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti / Destroyer / James Blake / OFWGKTA
Das Racist / Kylesa / Curren$y / Woods / Yuck / Sun Airway
more to be announced soon...

Tickets are on sale presently (pretty cheap at $110 for a three day pass) and are bound to go within days, if not hours.

You say impressive, I say I'm not paying $110 and airfare and hotel to see maybe three or four of those groups.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I do not know why I hesitated about The Decembrists, it was an awesome show.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

Tobacco is playing at Chop Suey in Seattle in April. apparently it's a three-piece now, with a drummer

i probably won't go but i'm not gonna rule it out yet because Tobacco is the shit
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

scarred

• Older than Moses

crystal castles tomorrow

fuck yeah

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug

lykke li is playing tonight in hollywood, free show. see you guys there?

http://www.amoeba.com/live-shows/performances/hollywood/2011-march-07/lykke-li/artist.html

scarred

• Older than Moses

jelly  :x

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

sam yr not into owen? or is he not playing owen songs?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

scarred

• Older than Moses

Crystal Castles in 8 hourssssss

and I'm seeing the Dismemberment Plan for free on Saturday for KEXP.

I have not listened to them before, are they good? does anyone know

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

got my okkervil river ticket

fer free!
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

scarred

• Older than Moses

touched alice. lost my glasses, found them again unbroken next to a full bottle of water. 2 encores. my body hurts

amazing

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

soooo tempted to sink the $35 into tickets and plan on driving 12 hours to see bright eyes and death cab in oregon

dammit these are not healthy dreams
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

eyefielbad

• Not quite a lurker
  • oh my gog

Is it this coming Tuesday yet? I cannot wait for this coming Tuesday. Some local production bro is putting together a music festival event type thing which is great, in and of itself, because I live in an area that does not get music festival event type things, but on the ticket (not counting the dozen other local bands):

Toro y Moi | Baths | Cloud Nothings | Class Actress | Nite Jewel | Colour Revolt | Young Buffalo | Gobble Gobble | White Arrows

The ones in bold I am most looking forward to catching. Star Slinger was supposed to be there, too, but canceled.

It is also only $15. Which is not bad.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2011, 13:41 by eyefielbad »

scarred

• Older than Moses

I'd pay $15 to see Baths alone, he puts on a great show. Talk about getting your money's worth.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

This month I'm seeing the Mountain Goats, OFF!, and Jeff the Brotherhood

Totally worth sustaining myself on ramen the rest of the semester
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Oh man Iron & Wine was not at all what I was expecting. Extremely funky, with some very jazzy sounding extended solos.

Twas odd, but not necessarily bad. Didn't play Cinder & Smoke though (although I think that's okay, because all the older songs he played were really jazzed up and kind of unrecognizable except for the lyrics)

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

I really want to see Fucked Up again. Last time I saw them, it was one of the funnest shows I've ever been to, even with all the shit I broke lol.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Owen kind of blows, dude. Like a cannibal with no teeth gumming your arm.

man i disagree with this statement so much, but whatev i guess.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Tomorrow is Joanna Newsome day!

Also in the afternoon having coffee with a super-pretty girl, gonna be a good day.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

there are no words to describe how jealous i am

joanna newsom is the epitome of humanity and i am completely in love with her
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Dilemma guys: do I see a screening of Nosferatu from 1922 with a live original score by Svarte Greiner and a cool sounding percussionists or do  i see a show where Deaf Center opens for a performance of pieces by Henryk Mikołaj Górecki?? I can only go to one and both sound really, really great.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 20:12 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Nosferatu
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Joanna Newsom was pretty good. She sure can play and so can her band. But it was the second of two nights in Melbourne, and part way through the set she admitted that entirely unintentionally tonight was the "rocking" set and last night had been the "mellow" set, and to be honest if that's the case I think I would have preferred to go to last night's show. It was great seeing her and her band play the hell out of a bunch of songs, and "Good Intentions Trading Company" in particular was terrifically propulsive with almost every member of the band banging on something percussive, but it's her quieter songs such as "In California"/"Does Not Suffice" that are the ones that really get me. The first song of her encore she played solo, just her and her harp, and it was the best song of the night (I can't remember which one it was, generally I'm not good with song names). Just that one performance was absolutely mesmerising - you know when you're so utterly transfixed by a musical performance that your head starts to feel like a balloon, all light and kind of bobbing about, and you start getting a bit dizzy and it almost becomes like an out-of-body experience? Yeah, I wish there'd been more of that than for just one song. I should report, though that most of the audience absolutely adored the show and gave her two standing ovation.

Still, I'm glad I went if nothing else then because it exorcises one of my great regrets of recent years (forgetting I'd bought a ticket to see her play last year until the morning after the show), and because the show was in the Melbourne Recital Hall the sound was absolutely stunning, which was necessary for such brilliantly played and carefully arranged music. (The band was Newsom on harp and piano, two violinists, a drummer/percussionist, a trombone player, and a guitarist/banjo player/player of some instrument I didn't catch the name of which was basically like a middle-eastern mandolin.)

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

sitar? i think you're thinking about a sitar.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Or maybe an oud?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

It was a tambura actually, it's the instrument you can hear on the track Baby Birch and it's a darn beautiful sounding instrument/hard to play
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

pinkpiche

I really want to see Fucked Up again. Last time I saw them, it was one of the funnest shows I've ever been to, even with all the shit I broke lol.

Me too! I can't wait for the new album... Hope they tour Europe this summer.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

Even though a lot of the new shit has been hit or miss for me, I'm stoked on anything that band does.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

touched alice. lost my glasses, found them again unbroken next to a full bottle of water. 2 encores. my body hurts

amazing

I'm jealous! I saw them last Friday and it was actually fairly disappointing.  Teengirl Fantasy opened, and that was awesome, but by the time CC came on the crowd was ready to riot and it was impossible to stand. Like, it started to get crazy, teetering between bad-crazy and good-crazy, and then it tipped over into bad-crazy territory. I couldn't see, couldn't breathe, could barely pay attention to the music.  It wasn't even a mosh pit; you just couldn't stand still because the crowd was too tightly packed together. Someone shoved someone else and the shove propagated through the crowd for like twenty five minutes. If I wasn't completely off-balance, stiff-arming someone in front of me to try and catch myself, I was being dragged down by a human undercurrent and struggling pull my leg out from between a clutch of five other people's legs. It just stopped being fun really fast. Spent the rest of the show up on the balcony behind a dense row of people, fuming and occasionally seeing snatches of the stage.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Man, that sucks. How big was the venue where you saw them? Their Seattle show was at a converted warehouse, so there was plenty of room for the pit to hustle & bustle. I still ended up nearly fainting from dehydration twice and leaning on other people during the slower bits, but I'm into the whole "get exhausted by the end of the first 5 songs and then keep dancing because fuck that" mentality. I imagine if it'd been at any smaller of a venue it would've been a nightmare, though.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

The show was at the main room at First Avenue in Minneapolis, which has a capacity of around 1500. The show, of course, sold out. Outside the floor there was a little room to push past and like, circumnavigate the crowd, but I basically had to beat my way away from the stage to get ahold of myself.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Yeesh. That's no fun at all. Times like those you feel like you're in the middle of a human meat grinder. MGMT was like that. They played at the Cap Hill Block Party, so it was literally a city street with a stage on it, but it was so packed with people that I couldn't move, and had to enlist the help of everyone around me to push me up over the crowd, so security could grab me and drag me out.

As a 6'2", 180 pound dude, that was difficult and I'm pretty sure I kicked some poor tweenage girls in the face trying to get out of there.

But MGMT ended up sucking live anyway. At least Alice, even with a broken ankle, still manages to create a pretty epic stage presence.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Yeah, see, and I'm 5'7"ish and 118 lbs, so it was too much. But ah well. I'm seeing Rusko on 4/20, and that'll be so good it'll make up for all the remorse I have for CC not going so well.

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

Saturday I bought  an uber-pricey Godspeed ticket on Stubhub on a whim and went to them night last HOLY SHIT

Half the was band turned their backs to the audience and it was still one of the best shows I've ever seen. When they played "Storm" I nearly died of joy
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2011, 13:50 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Oh man, I have to make a decision.
Either Black Lips with Vivian Girls, or Shad with I don't know who's opening.
Any help here?

valley_parade

• coprophage

Same thing I said on Twitter:

We won't be friends if you don't see Shad.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

go see Black Lips dude

if you somehow need more convincing, here's this:

valley_parade

• coprophage

Shad > Dumb hipster mustache
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 58   Go Up