THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 May 2024, 12:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 950415 times)

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

starfucker was pretty tight, I kind of wished they took a break from all the danceable songs and played a poppy one or two, but it was still a good time

also, scored two free tickets to see pinback tomorrow night! it was kind of spur-of-the-moment and it's in the city about forty miles away so I have to find a ride/show buddy, but I am kind of excited
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Warning, large post.

Holy shit... I'll be in The Netherlands tomorrow to attend Roadburn festival! So damn excited.
The lineup is just too good.
See Swans, you dick! See them!

Hell yeah I saw them.... I couldn't see their entire set because of the train I had to take but I saw around an hour. Their intro was very bad imo. I was impatient and just one guy getting to the scene every 3 minutes kind of pissed me off, specially since what they were doing wasn't really that good, I was SOOOO close to get out of there when suddenly they started playing for real and I was like "well... Next time guys, skip the intro and play crushing music right from the start!" I forgot about the annoying and long intro and everything went awesome from there. Fucking heavy stuff.

Bands I saw (in order):
Day one: Alcest, Ghost, Blood Farmers, Today Is The Day, Godflesh (their entire streetcleaner) and Count Raven
Day Two:Keiji Haino (This was just horrible...), Aluk Todolo (Biggest discovery for me, didn't knew anything about them... Brilliant), Trap Them, Winter, Earth, Sunn O)))... The last bands too see were either Scorn or The Secret, I saw both for a couple of minutes but the sound wasn't interesting so I left after earlier.
Day Three: Candlemass (played a regular set and also their entire Epicus Doomicus Metallicus with their original vocalist from that album,Johan Längqvist and also met him and talked to him, Leif Edling and Robert Lowe very very nice guys, cool to talk swedish with someone for a change, got an autograph by all three as well ... You can't get more epic than that), Evoken (Holy shit they used the entire Begotten movie as a projection for their music, fucking brilliant and crushing stuff), Voivod, Shrinebuilder (the bass was waaaaay too loud but it was cool to see them anyway) and Swans...

Sooo... This was my first festival ever, a nice first time, eh?! I sooo want to continue with this, Roadburn was too good to miss for other festivals, the atmosphere is nice, all the people are nice, I like the fact that there aren't so many people (Probably around 2000 or 3000), got nice cds and t-shirts for  a very low price... I guess I was one of the youngest though with my 19 years XD
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2011, 03:56 by Mr. Doctor »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

starfucker was pretty tight, I kind of wished they took a break from all the danceable songs and played a poppy one or two, but it was still a good time

why would you wish that?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor

Alcest, Ludicra and Solbrud tonight.

I am fully expecting this to be the greatest thing ever.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

So jealous of Mr. Doctor right now. I saw Alcest on their last tour though - it was dark and they lit candles around the place, plus they went pretty crazy with the smoke machine, so it was pretty unreal in terms of atmosphere. Pretty spot-on performance-wise too.

scarred

• Older than Moses

they have non-danceable songs?
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

imagist42

well I mean, with some of them the focus is different is all. and I happen to like "death as a fetish"

also guys, fucking PINBACK. so amazing
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

So jealous of Mr. Doctor right now. I saw Alcest on their last tour though - it was dark and they lit candles around the place, plus they went pretty crazy with the smoke machine, so it was pretty unreal in terms of atmosphere. Pretty spot-on performance-wise too.

Awww they didn't have all that. Only a huge projection of their latest album artwork. But the music is what it counts in the end. Even though they played GREAT and they were one of the bands I was most excited about... They didn't end up as highlights of the festival for me. They weren't bad... There was just waaaaay too much better stuff going on after. :P

Oh... and they played a song that is new or maybe a cover. I believe it was called Summer's Glory so if anyones knows if it was a cover I would be very glad to know from which band. Otherwise I'll say: Cool new song

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

Yeah, I'm more jealous of Godflesh and Candlemass, haha.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

The Submarines tonight. I was supposed to go with a ladyfriend, but she had to cancel at the last minute.
Hopefully, they are good live.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Ericisapixy

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Battles 27th May

Flaming Lips, Dinorsaur Jr., Deerhoof, 1st of July =D

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

I saw Career Suicide today. It's incredible how energetic all those dudes still are.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale

It turns out Crucial Dudes and The Menzingers were playing at my school today.  And I missed it cause I didn't find out about it until much too late.  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I'm so sad.  Altho, the last time I saw Crucial Dudes there were too many asshole moshers, but I really want to see The Menzingers someday
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

richlitt

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Hub

StaedlerMars knows how to skank. I think?

I'ma gonna go see the Mountain Goats end of May.

... it's going to be awesome.
fungi are fucking punk rock!
I hear they're really big underground.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Oh hey, me too!

Also, Low on the 17th. Can't wait, May's gonna be amazing.
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2011, 04:22 by Metope »
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Lightning Bolt and GZA from Wu Tang are both playing at my school in the next couple weeks. Not together though, sadly
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2011, 09:44 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

richlitt

• Hub

Where you live? Where is Low playing?

Man, I want to see Low.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

I'm in Glasgow! You're in Edinburgh, right (I read the San Fran thread even though I'm not going, so assumed you're in Edinburgh seeing how you're Simon's friend)? There are still tickets left, they're playing at The Classic Grand.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

richlitt

• Hub

I may very well be going to to that, then. Will keep this thread updated. Thanks!

scarred

• Older than Moses

Starfucker had a fair amount of technical issues (fucked up sound, broken snare drum, broken strings on bass) but it was still a freaking fantastic show. Still sore.

imagist42

They pretty much always have shit go down. Follow them on Facebook, it's ridiculous how often they post about their van, cops, etc.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Oh I do, and I stalk them on twitter. When people weren't shouting their name they were yelling "Free Ryan" and shit.

scarred

• Older than Moses

This is the first time I've seen them where they had equipment break though. But I mean, it's the tail end of the tour, shit happens.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

I saw Career Suicide on Saturday, and it was nuts. Seeing The Appleseed Cast tomorrow, and I'm so excited. So many shows to go to in the spring/summer...I love it.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Just saw Metronomy. Highly recommended, they were all types of dancey. I only really knew their newer stuff, and they played a lot of older stuff, which was a lot heavier and intense, but still got pretty much everyone in the room moving.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

Lightning Bolt and GZA from Wu Tang are both playing at my school in the next couple weeks. Not together though, sadly

damnit that would have been fucking amazing

like, that's the kind of show that i would do almost anything to see without hesitation, no matter how evil it was
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

Oh wow, didn't realize how great NXNE is this year. Devo, Descendents, and fucking Hot Water Music...stoked.

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991

Thinking of going to Hevy Festival, I'm not sure if a lot of these bands are any good. From the photos of the last 2 years it looks like its just stupidly fun to be at, weather you like the music or not. i'll let you guys judge.

like, no bands ever come to the south east of England because you might as well just go to London. Kind of annoying as there are cities in this lovely portion of the UK that aren't London. But hey ho, I'll see what local offerings there are. Apparently the Subways are coming to Canterbury on a warm up tour but saw them in 2008 and their new material was blrugh.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

Good combo of heavy/fast bands and fun bands. Sure, there are a few bad ones, but if you thought it was fun before, why not? The Carrier, Rot In Hell, Touche Amore, and The Dillinger Escape Plan are guaranteed to be great.

Lupercal

Never been, but the photos on their Facebook page with singers coming into crowds, loads of crowdsurfing, and general festival-shit-that-goes-down looks great. And for £89 could be a good idea.

Seeing Foo Fighters soon...should be pretty great. New album isn't crazy amazing, but its good. My fifth time seeing Biffy Clryo (they're supporting). I wonder how many times is too many, especially as they've only had 2 albums out in those 5 shows...

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.

Bloodstock or Sonisphere. Why must I choose?!

Oh, Right. I'm poor and have to work.

richlitt

• Hub

Saw Ballboy in the Grassmarket in Edinburgh yesterday. It was pretty awesome, except for the drunk who continually walked up and down in front of the stage, arms spread and constantly looking for praise (for what?). But yeah, Ballboy is great. "I am an indie pirate" is a great song.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

And Burnt Island in the same place today!

KurtMcAllister

• Himmelschreibende Herzen

So a friend of mine, who lives in Utah and can't even go, bought me a ticket to see the Mountain Goats. I think I owe this friend my firstborn or something like that. June 23, The El Rey Theatre.

I am probably going to be in a perpetual state of "flipping my shit" before the show, during the show, and for a good month after the show.

Durin

• Furry furrier

About 90% sure I'm going to Pygmalion Musical Festival in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois this September.

http://pygmalionmusicfestival.com/

About half the line-up has been named and I'm pretty excited so far.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

I am very likely going to the Sled Island festival in Calgary in June.

Here's the lineup

Wild Flag! I'm gonna see Wild Flag guys, it's OK to be jealous. Also Sleep (but I've seen them already so it's not as exciting as Wild Fucking Flag)

Rest of the lineup is pretty meh but honestly it has been so long since I have seen live rock and roll music that I'm not gonna be picky.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Oh yeah, and Neil Hamburger
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES

I just found out I have a ticket to see Herbie Hancock. Yay!
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

In a couple of hours I am getting on a five hour train journey to London to see Death From Above 1979.

That's. Right.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES

I hope 6000 people don't rock up for a howeversmall venue that thing was
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

whom

• Plantmonster
  • fire is pretty

Seeing Jukebox the Ghost on Friday!
You don't know what it's like to be stuck in my mind all the time

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Oh man. So many parts of my body hurt from all the dancing/moshing/jumping around I did last night. I'm fairly sure my thumb is actually sprained.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Stoked for their show first day of 'squatch.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I have a massive bruise on my leg.

Edit: I have tickets to go see PS I Love You tomorrow with this really good local electro/chill/still rockin' artist Miaoux Miaoux but then tonight a girl suggested tea+cake+a movie and now I'm all AAAARGH. I should probably go hang out with girl right? I mean, PS I Love You are awesome, but I'm sure they'll be back (or even better, I'll be living in Canada).
« Last Edit: 07 May 2011, 18:21 by StaedlerMars »

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Mark Olson next Saturday! It's gonna be so good. Salvation Blues is one of my favourite albums of recent times.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

slooooooooooan! this sunday! with allison!
 8-)
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

just saw fucked up, so good.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

so i just found out that man man is playing in seattle next monday, and then black lips are playing a week or two after that

then next month or sometime later Aesop Rock is playing with...get this....kimya dawson

why so much awesome?
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lupercal

So holy shit, the Australian Soundwave Revolution festival looks pretty fucking cool.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

wohooo  :mrgreen: http://www.off-festival.pl/en/2011/artist.html

Saw Kurt Vile the other day in Copenhagen. I really recommend seeing that when you get the chance.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 58   Go Up