THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 08:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 649817 times)

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #2550 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:12 »

I think I may have been spoiled, I've been playing a lot of either Bioware or completly plotless games atm, so I am not used to the fact that everything has now become a pop cultural shout out.

It's kinda like having fine cuisine or a good sandwich. The sublime story telling of <insert Bioware game here> is wonderful in moderatation, but usually you just want a nice sandwich for lunch.

At least that's how I feel about it.

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #2551 on: 16 Dec 2010, 05:34 »

Y'see I either prefer Good story (can be freely defined, I realise I am no arbiter of what is good and bad) or no story at all. I love LOVE games like Dynasty Warriors, where the only story is "Hit people till they die, make hammy speeches" because you are essentially striding around a battlefield like a living god, wrecking the hell out of people. I like games like Crusader Kings, which are plotless and require you to make up story's.

Heck I am even fine with the sheer amount of storyline shout outs that went into WC3. The problem is that I no longer think Blizzard knows or cares about making the story anything other than "kill things because we say so" and the grind is just not fun for me. The fact that there is a constant grind, that there is nowhere to feel especially awesome, or to have fun without needing to listen to the shrill of "Nerf [insert class here]" or "STFU".

TLDR: basically I just found WoW to be fundamentally unfullfilling and a boring, useless time and money sink that actually doesn't make me want to return the longer I look at it.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2552 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:43 »

Yeah, vanilla didn't have nearly as many pop culture references in WoW does now.  Ever since TBC, I think they went a little overboard with that aspect.

I don't complain about it too much though, as my hopes of anything good storyline-wise has been destroyed just because of WoW, let alone the expansions.  Somehow I can't feel epic about a storyline when the LK gets killed by people named Lleeroy, Trowmoardawts, Xxlegolisxx, Mancatbearcow, Pimpy, Dimpy, and Limpy, etc.

Josefbugman

« Reply #2553 on: 16 Dec 2010, 07:43 »

Thats why I am looking forward to the new "old republic" mmo. If only because its actually got a plot for your character.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2554 on: 16 Dec 2010, 07:50 »

The warcraft plotline was always bog standard fantasy shit. It's now just shitty with Joust themed quests.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Josefbugman

« Reply #2555 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:00 »

It was pretty rubbish, but at least it was rubbish on a big scale, and I kind of like generic fantasy every so often.

cyro

« Reply #2556 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:00 »

I'm not gonna saw Cataclysm's an awesome story, 'cause it isn't. What is better though are the story telling devices throughout and the storytelling in general. I complete a quest line in Cataclysm and I feel like I've accomplished something (besides lootwhoring).

The End of Mount Hyjal has you solo fight a raid (with help from a few NPCs.) Vashj'ir's final quest is basically an Interactive Cinematic, Deepholm see's you protecting the Earthen Ring as the put the World Pillar back together.

It's pretty epic, in a cheesy Hammerfall kind of way.

Still, I get it's not for everyone and I think I'm done defending it when I much prefer Bioware game anyways.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 13:45 by cyro »

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #2557 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:46 »

Just got back to my pc since patch day, 2p set for pvp so far time for honour grinds and rated BG's!
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2558 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:49 »

It was pretty rubbish, but at least it was rubbish on a big scale, and I kind of like generic fantasy every so often.

This seems patently untrue to me. Vanilla WoW quests were uniformly small time shit until Naxx came about. It was the sort of game where you were supposed to be some big goddamn hero but mostly you spent your time wandering around doing unrelated shit like collecting booze for dwarves. Things like the Tirion Fordring quest line were the exception and not the norm whereas now 1 outta 3 quests is at least part of some overarching quest line that usually culminates in an event of some sort. I read what you say but all I end up hearing is "I'm burnt out on WoW. Totally, totally burnt out."

Josefbugman

« Reply #2559 on: 16 Dec 2010, 15:00 »

I meant Warcraft 3, original WoW I found interesting because MMO's were so new to me. And yeah, WoW's original quests weren't inovative, but my God were they new for younger me! I had no idea games could be made like this, and all these people and other things!

Then TBC came out and I spent a lot of time basically enjoying feeling fairly good at what I did and occasionally going away for a week but thinking about WoW a fair amount. Then WoTLK happened and I was psyched... up until there was nothing added after the argent tournament that I could or wanted to do. All of the dungeons had been run a billion times, I didn't want to get any better gear because I wasn't going to use it to raid and finally, I just got sick of WoW's plot and WoW in general.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 15:03 by Josefbugman »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2560 on: 16 Dec 2010, 16:40 »

Honestly the quests in Uldum weren't that great for plot, but I was all about Mt. Hyjal and helping all the gods out. And the last fight with Cenarius, Malfurion, and Hamuul Runetotem was awesome. I happened to really like that entire zone because of the druid-ness surrounding it. I haven't felt much real plot from the other zones (Deepholm yes, because of the Earthen Ring, but not as much).
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2561 on: 16 Dec 2010, 19:26 »

I loved the hell out of Twilight Highlands.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

cyro

« Reply #2562 on: 17 Dec 2010, 01:23 »

I don't recall anyone mention Uldum with regards to plot, it's definately the just-for-fun zone.

I finished Loremaster of Cataclysm last night without even trying. May go back and try for some of the earlier ones at some point.

:psyduck:

clockworkjames

« Reply #2563 on: 20 Dec 2010, 16:20 »

If you step back from raiding, switch on your brain and tank heroics with pugs you get the biggest most warranted God complex so fast.

Doing interrupts and mechanics that the DPS should be taking care of while tanking multiple mobs/adds/boss and topping dps (lol glyphed cleave) knowing you genuinely are carrying these people through instances.

Then listen to your friends in a raiding guild whine about how 3 tanks cannot co-ordinate themselves for BoT raging their tits off at a 96% wipe attempt after attempt.

Being this good has to be a curse because I know I cannot be bothered going back to raiding no matter how much I would shine.

/e-peening

Anyone got an idea on when/if they will reset the broken as fuck arena standings with challengers at 3100mmr?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2564 on: 20 Dec 2010, 20:59 »

All rational thought is kinda wiped out about how happy I am to be packing a Cruel Barb again. They let it keep its 2.7 weapon speed!
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2010, 01:54 by Alex C »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2565 on: 20 Dec 2010, 22:34 »

I was 4th in healing done in strand of the ancients as a rogue. And we won.  :psyduck:

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2566 on: 21 Dec 2010, 01:08 »

I have an old twinked rogue that I haven't played in years and every time I go into Deadmines I have a nostalgia fit.

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2567 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:21 »

19s are still active from what I understand.  Maybe not as active as pre-3.2, but they still get games.  Haven't played 19s since like '06 tho :P

29s are where my heart is at, but it's deader than a doornob.  Working on making a 70 because apparently that's where the shiz be.

85 looks like it sucks just like every other level cap did, so I'll probably not get my main passed 81 unless I need to for something specific in regards to my lowbies.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #2568 on: 21 Dec 2010, 04:35 »

I have to say I'm really a tad dissapointed with cataclysm, the other day I finished the loremaster of cataclysm and have gotten all the achivements for completing zone quest chains, and that means in just under two weeks I have completed litterally every single 80 - 85 non repeatable quest that that shipped with the game. despite getting the loremaster achievment back in the old world, I really never felt like I had "finished" questing, and that if I wanted to I could go back and finish chains that I had missed or given up on. This has a lot to do with the new way they're designing the quests - every thing feels so linear, I really liked having random quests sending me out to various random places with no real connection to a massive plot. Other thing I dont like is the fact that blizzard seems to be trying to make a single player MMO in terms of questing, there are billions of people playing wow, thousands on each server, I can see all of them and I can and talk to them about questing, so it makes it seem rather stupid when all the quests talk about me being the only person who can possibly save the world. An MMO should feel like you're part of something, I want to feel like I'm a mercinary soldier of the aliance or horde, doing my bit as part of a war effort. If I want save the world 5 times in as many hours I'll play any number of single player games.

And just while I'm on things that irriate me. cutscenes. the majority of the gaming world has realised that cutscenes do not make for imersive gaming. why is it now that blizzard is treating them like the new cool thing. Uldum in particular - ther was a stage where I was getting a cutscene after every single quest I did and just pissed me off, because most of them were unnessisary. and blizzard has even done things in the past where they've avoided cutscenes. Remember back in Burning Crusade there was a quest where we had to listen to a conversation between Burning legion bosses by hiding under a box. that was a fine little scene and it didn't break the flow of game play - Cutscenes have their place, the wrathgate and the final of Vashj'ir can be counted amoungs them, but cutscenes whicch only server as a quick way to get me from one side of the map to the other, or show a brief dialogue, can not.

On the other hand did my first heroics yesterday in a pug, and the difficulty kept jumping backwards and forwards between soul crushing and just hard enough to be rewarding, but in the end it was possibly the most fun I've ever had playing wow.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #2569 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:46 »

On the one hand, I understand what you're saying. It really doesn't seem like a whole lot of new content, especially after two years. But on the other hand, you've got to take a look at what Blizzard has actually done with this new expansion. While still throwing the endgame a bone, they've completely turned their game on its head. Instead of making things about running the same goddamn dungeons over and over again in order to incrementally increase your character's performance through minor upgrades in gear, for the sole sake of running more of the same freakin' dungeons, they've shifted the focus of the game onto all the original content you never felt like you finished before. It seems to me the name of Blizzard's favorite game is now alt creation. They've opened up new possibilities so that you might actually find it fun to create a new character and play through the game all over again, and the trick here is there is so much content in Azeroth that, at least until you've hit the cap and decide to do everything for rep gains, you can play through that portion of the game with ten different characters without ever experiencing an identical selection of its content. And that, to me, is a much funner concept than incessant dungeon repetition. But then, I've always had the most fun with the game when I'm still leveling, exploring what the world has to offer and growing as a character at the same time. This new focus may not appeal to everyone, but I guess you'll just have to wait for more content patches.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

clockworkjames

« Reply #2570 on: 21 Dec 2010, 09:49 »

I was 4th in healing done in strand of the ancients as a rogue. And we won.  :psyduck:
nerf recoup.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2571 on: 21 Dec 2010, 10:33 »

Please, tell me how shitty this game is so I don't go back.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2572 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:10 »

It's broken as fuck atm.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2573 on: 21 Dec 2010, 12:59 »

It's kinda funny/sad how much better a mut rogue is at playing Battle Ground Hero these days. As assassination I can regen half my health over 30 seconds and have 10% damage reduction just from talents (16% with recup up). That doesn't sound all that hot on paper, but once you factor in all our cheap ass li'l stunts it's kinda sick and makes all the extra mobility from sub feel a li'l redundant. After all, in BGs people aren't really going to always be saving some peels for you, so it feels sort of abusive to be able to patch yourself up fairly easily from incidental damage.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2010, 13:04 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2574 on: 21 Dec 2010, 13:38 »

Has anyone else seen floating herbs? I have seen floating herbs. I'd like to think of it as a joke, but I know it's not.

And sorry, Leinad, but leveling is actually fun and not a pain, the new zones are pretty cool, and the dungeons are once again challenging enough to make some players realize how much they suck at their role. I like it. WASTE YOUR MONIES!

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #2575 on: 21 Dec 2010, 21:23 »

Please, tell me how shitty this game is so I don't go back.

I tried to do this once. This thread is not helpful in that endeavor, trust me.

For what it's worth, I don't have an active subscription at the moment because I'm going back to school in two weeks and don't want to risk compulsive distractions until I'm settled back into learning mode. Find something more worthwhile to do with your time and it might be easier to resist.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2576 on: 21 Dec 2010, 22:23 »

Welp, replaced the cruel barb already. Fang of Twilight looks like a 2 hander.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2577 on: 22 Dec 2010, 22:45 »

I've tried fighting it as much as I can, but I guess I'm back to using a 333 dagger and mut instead of an epic sword. Combat is just too broken.  :cry:

cyro

« Reply #2578 on: 23 Dec 2010, 06:16 »

It's broken as fuck atm.

Working as intended.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2579 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:41 »

Yeh, working as intended, so they reset all ratings to a max of 1500 and made it impossible to equipt T2 weps till 25th January or some shit, so people who did a bunch of transfers in order to reset points cap and buy weps to upgrade to T2 are fucked since they cannot use it lolz.

Might as well just casual it until I get back from my holiday, conveniently on the 22nd.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2580 on: 24 Dec 2010, 14:16 »

I am sort of very annoyed with Blizzard right now.  I'm leveling a friend's cooking/fishing from scratch and made it to the mid-200s only to find that the only two vendors that sold mid-200 recipes for Horde are dead in Cata. Just completely gone, fuck off, you're gonna have to do cooking dailies for a month to get through this shit.

WTF.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2581 on: 24 Dec 2010, 16:24 »

What?? That is lame. Too bad you weren't around for the Thanksgiving holiday thing, because those cooking quests were how I finally leveled my cooking.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2582 on: 24 Dec 2010, 22:52 »

Can't make bear burgers anymore?  Make clamlette!

Below 250?  Talk to this guy!
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2010, 22:58 by Cire27 »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2583 on: 26 Dec 2010, 11:56 »

Yeah, Clamlette was gonna be my long and winding road to new things.

Also, I'm not getting generic Horde rep anymore for some reason, which is pretty annoying since I'm aiming for Ambassador out of boredom. Put in a ticket about it and waited for 6 hours, then gave up on it. Annoying.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2584 on: 26 Dec 2010, 19:34 »

Well you can always get the tabards these days for the Horde factions.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2585 on: 29 Dec 2010, 11:52 »

Today I renamed my feral druid Dealwithit. Once more nerfs come it'll be less apropos, but I can live with that.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2010, 11:56 by Alex C »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2586 on: 29 Dec 2010, 11:54 »

I saw a warrior the other day named Csmashderp. I chuckled.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2587 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:33 »

One of my friends has a shaman named Hereforhero, which makes me chuckle.

Archeology, while time consuming, is kind of interesting. Since I've pretty much finished all questing (minus Vash'jir, because I'm tired of questing) and I maxed out my professions, I thought I'd spend my time leveling this up.

Does anyone know how the epic gem transmutes are going to be handled? Will they be introduced later or are they going to be rep rewards or something?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2588 on: 02 Jan 2011, 02:21 »

so despite that I quite WoW for the past 2 years, my parents got me all 4 packs for christmas, much to the dismay of my girlfriend.  I am no hardcore player so she has nothing to worry about.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #2589 on: 02 Jan 2011, 10:36 »

If your life were a webcomic, the next scene would obviously be you trying to tear her away from a 54-hour WoW bender.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2590 on: 06 Jan 2011, 21:41 »

If the warrior changes go ahead, warriors will no longer have to stancedance outside of zerking and turtling, they will no longer be able to switch, the skillcap will be pushed MUCH lower and all we will be able to do is train a single target with bad uptime and insane burst when we do connect.

Looks like dispel cleave is viable and might be back on the cards lads, TSG will be insane too.

edit: 2v2 with a druid vs pretty much any double dps comp is bunghole clenchingly annoying because it's gib or be gibbed which as a warrior means pop reck and hope you gond get disarmed or/then switched to.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 17:18 by clockworkjames »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2591 on: 12 Jan 2011, 13:25 »

Guild IRC convo:

Fernand0: Why don't any of these guides say where the tank should be?
Me: Tank positioning can usually be inferred by raid positioning since the tank dictates boss facing. Usually where the tank is in the room doesn't matter provided people understand what their position relative to the tank should be.
Fernand0: STFU poindexter.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2592 on: 12 Jan 2011, 15:20 »

In front of the boss.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2593 on: 12 Jan 2011, 15:57 »

Whatever dude. The tank belongs behind the healer.

clockworkjames

« Reply #2594 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:05 »

If Atramedes cannot see me, HOW COME HE HITS ME AS MUCH AS ANY OTHER BOSS  :psyduck:

DK resto shaman is the new improved for 2v2 boring cleave.

cyro

« Reply #2595 on: 25 Jan 2011, 04:07 »

I've quit again already. Nothing aainst Cataclysm, but it's still WoW and after 6 year (on and off) I'm bored of the damn thing.

Bring on SW:TOR. I will enjoy butchering Darth Pwnznoobs.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2596 on: 25 Jan 2011, 09:05 »

Things like that last post make me sad. I don't really want to play a game by a company that's known for its writing with people named things like Darth Pwnznoobs. And you know it will happen.

cyro

« Reply #2597 on: 25 Jan 2011, 09:59 »

I know, personally I'm hoping for RP servers or something. Not to actually "RP" as such, just so the immersion isn't utterly shattered all the time. Sometimes I'm cool with it, in PvP or raids I wouldn't care, just sometimes.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2598 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:33 »

Oh, it'll be shattered all the time. That's just how things roll. If I have learned anything from playing WoW (I too quit just recently from burnout) it's that familiarity breeds contempt. Blizzard's attempts to make things more cinematic would get lauded by a segment of the population the first time (Personally, I usually thought it was just kinda silly) and then ever after people would whine about the lack of skip the speech functions. People like the idea of fighting a big ass ice wyrm the first time around, but 2 pulls later you have people braying "BEEEEEETRAAAAAAAAAAAYS YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU!!" over vent while the feral druid humps your corpse before starting with the rezzes.

Oh, and it's not exactly like the MMO community is known for keeping spoilers under wraps, either-- if anything, you're expected to know content before you do it in these games unless you're at the leading edge of the player population. So remember that we had this conversation the first time someone firebombs you with something like "HEY GUIZE, WHAT DO I DO AFTER I FIND OUT I'M REVAN!?" in the SWTOR equivalent of trade chat.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2011, 10:32 by Alex C »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2599 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:38 »

I almost quit playing, but then I started leveling up my shaman again (I kind of stopped when I got to Northrend) and Northrend pugs are a lot funner than they used to be. Mostly because everyone knows what to do because they're making alts and so there's more room to goof off. It's a nice change from Cata pugs which are Serious Business and take forever because chances are you'll do the same dungeon with about 3 different tanks, healers, and maybe a few different dps people because people suck.

Most of the 85s, including me, in my guild are considering joining a larger guild just so we don't have to do pugs anymore. We have friends on the same server in a different guild, so I think we're applying to that one. Definitely keeping my guild running, though, as a backup. We put effort into our bank and whatnot, I don't really want to give it up now. Also it's good to have a backup in case something happens.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Up