THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 12:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 971412 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #2250 on: 23 Dec 2008, 23:58 »

I woulda thought that black dress would work well with nice purple tights but what do I know!

The other day, I was struck by how much fashion can differ just from one city to the next.

I spend most of the year in northern Sweden, in a young and modern and sports-crazy university town. Swedes are very fashion-conscious, but in the north you have to be practical (or you die a slow cold death), which affects the fashion pretty much.

Upon my return to sthlm for Christmas, I came across a very fashion-conscious young man who looked just like one of the hockey-players from up north but dressed in the most ridiculously impractical way... while I couldn't help but admire the stylish hair and the creative and thoughtful way he'd layered his clothes (technically enough for a proper northern winter... had he done up any buttons or zippers) but my mind just couldn't accept the GINORMOUS knitted scarf he'd somehow carelessly draped around himself. I mean, it was HUGE and SO LONG, and very colourful... and the holes were huge and it didn't seem to have any practical value whatsoever.

This was just a regular afternoon.

At uni, I look like a fancy-pants city-boy but in the city I feel very much like a backwards country bumpkin.

Oh well, at least I'm a warm bumpkin :)

[/anecdote]
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #2251 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:05 »

So I finally got around to buying myself a Little Black Dress, but now that I've tried it on at home, I think it may be a bit too much Little and not enough Dress.

I am going to say something and hope you do not get too weirded out. Basically, you have really nice breasts. Looking at picture two from your first post about the dress, I think it would look less sketchy if your breasts didn't look so nice, so I'm not sure if there's something you could do about that (really I am clueless, could you wear a different kind of bra?) but that would make it totally acceptable. I still think it looks great but it definitely does look like you're putting yourself a bit on display in it.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2252 on: 24 Dec 2008, 05:24 »

If it feels too short, wear opaque tights under it, preferably black. Or pants even, if you like wearing tunics. Or just save it for hot weather.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2253 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:06 »

Manda is right about the double breasted. I also would suggest a nice top coat.

I love coats like that top coat which have a zip out lining. My current coat has it, and makes it functional nearly year round.

I wish my top coat had a zip-out lining. Damns.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

mooface

« Reply #2254 on: 24 Dec 2008, 10:33 »

re: little black dress

man i was going to say just go ahead and wear it if you think it is cute and it looks good on you and you feel comfortable in it.  i wear dresses that are that short but i like to think the fact that i do not rub myself all over guys in the clubs is enough of a "de-sluttifier".  pair it up with some tights or leggings and you are good to go.  accessorize it and people will think how cute your looks and be worrying about your hemline (unless they are your grandma or something).

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2255 on: 24 Dec 2008, 11:36 »

QC people,

I need some fashion advice!

I'm a freelance T-Shirt designer, and I thought of making one for a friend who has an upcoming birthday and who is known to be a womanizer. What do you think of a T-Shirt saying "Mad, Bad, and dangerous to know" (which is what one of his many lovers said about Lord Byron, I believe)? Would that be cool and fun, or too poser-ish??

Thanks for answering :)

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #2256 on: 24 Dec 2008, 12:39 »

Poserish? Posing as what? If he's a womanizer, than I guess it works, but do you really want to reward that behavior?

Nodaisho

« Reply #2257 on: 24 Dec 2008, 13:28 »

Don't think of it as a reward, think of it as an early warning system for well-read folks.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2258 on: 24 Dec 2008, 14:41 »

I think of "womanizer" as implying that the women involved are unaware of his intentions and led on, in order for him to get in their pants.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2259 on: 24 Dec 2008, 14:50 »

Can my brain count? I did say "I think of..."

There is also the oh-so reliable source that is urbandictionary
"1.    womanizer    876 up, 88 down

guy who makes zillions of women think he is in love with them and that he is the best guy in the universe but never know he is making 12774763836543 other women think that too "
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #2260 on: 24 Dec 2008, 15:00 »

I would say Amanda's take on it is very often the definition most people associate with it. A lot less to do with polyamory and lot more to do with deception.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2261 on: 24 Dec 2008, 15:03 »

Furthermore it seems pretty reasonable to assume that amanda's definition is the one that kieffer and nodashio were considering when making their posts.

The T-shirt seems okay in principle, but really it depends how the slogan is presented. Photoshop it for us!

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #2262 on: 24 Dec 2008, 15:27 »

"Mad, Bad, and dangerous to know"

I would judge him. And stay the hell away. Unless he was ridiculously hot. In which case I would play him like a piano.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Nodaisho

« Reply #2263 on: 24 Dec 2008, 15:38 »

With all ten fingers?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2264 on: 24 Dec 2008, 16:29 »

I think, like just with anything else, that there are okay womanizers and bad womanizers. Leading women on by convincing them that you're in love just to get in their pants is bad. Having short sexual relationships where both parties are on the same page is better. Usually when people say it around here, they mean it in a bad way.

Re t-shirt idea: If you make the design catchy, I can see it being okay. If not, it'd just be another one of those silly t-shirts with words on it.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2265 on: 25 Dec 2008, 10:38 »

Yeah, I mean by a "womanizer" what redglasscurls said. This guy is a bit of a dick, but he is my friend, so yeah.

I don't really want to gratify his behaviour, but I simply refused to make him the T-Shirt that he requested and this would be a sort of compromise. I also think it might be fair to warn people of him in advance. If I made it, I would probably use a font that was in stark contrast to the message of the writing, maybe something like a Jugenstil font, think Mackintosh in Glasgow, or something really elaborate like a baroque-type font. Do you have any other ideas for a "catchy design", Linds?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2266 on: 25 Dec 2008, 11:15 »

Womanizer has a negative connotation, and I suspect it will retain it for quite a while. After all, it's an old term and for much of its lifespan it was assumed that either a relationship was monogamous or else there was some deception/deviance going on. It's just assumed that a woman wouldn't put up with a guy who sleeps with other women, so a guy who is a womanizer is viewed as being dishonest by default. Basically, I'm saying the term is damned by historical context.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2267 on: 25 Dec 2008, 12:30 »

Yeah, I mean by a "womanizer" what redglasscurls said. This guy is a bit of a dick, but he is my friend, so yeah.

I don't really want to gratify his behaviour, but I simply refused to make him the T-Shirt that he requested and this would be a sort of compromise. I also think it might be fair to warn people of him in advance. If I made it, I would probably use a font that was in stark contrast to the message of the writing, maybe something like a Jugenstil font, think Mackintosh in Glasgow, or something really elaborate like a baroque-type font. Do you have any other ideas for a "catchy design", Linds?

What was the shirt he requested.

Also, Sam. Fuck Yes.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2268 on: 26 Dec 2008, 02:40 »

What he wanted was "Fancy a fuck? Get it here!" and his phone number on the back. He said that this way he could go to a bar, flirt with one woman and still "get out the message" to other women. I could not decide whether I should laugh at that or kick him. Noo way I was gonna do that, if he wants that he should do it himself. I offered to show him how to do it, but he was too lazy. I also cannot picture any sane woman actually writing down a number she sees on a guy's T-Shirt and call him (so I could tell myself I just wanted to protect him from some evil killer woman who likes to pick up little boys in bars). Seriously, if you sleep with as many people as he does, you are bound to meet some crazy people, aren't you?

Ellis, I usually cut the stencils from freezer paper and then paint on the shirt through the holes in the freezer paper. I much rather sell / give away "handmade" as a gift, I think it's more special if maybe less practical. I'm very into the whole crafting scene and the whole "handmade" thing! I also mostly do shirts that people request in the sizes and colours they want, rather than make a stash and then maybe not be able to sell them, so I usually don't have large quantities of one design at a time where it would make sense to bring them to a printer. Do you do that?

I'll show you what design I come up with once I come out of the whole seasonal celebrating fog.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #2269 on: 26 Dec 2008, 06:27 »

I also cannot picture any sane woman actually writing down a number she sees on a guy's T-Shirt and call him

More to the point, I cannot imagine any sane woman wanting to talk to a guy with that on his shirt. You could cramp his style by actually fulfilling his request.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2270 on: 26 Dec 2008, 09:20 »

Man, if I saw a guy with a shirt like that, I'd write the number down and call him just on the off chance he's a homophobe and would get really freaked out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2271 on: 26 Dec 2008, 10:32 »

Why do people do this?

Just say No.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2272 on: 26 Dec 2008, 10:36 »

Hipsters man.

My fashion advice is everyone should dress like Siouxsie Sioux. Including dudes.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #2273 on: 26 Dec 2008, 10:44 »

It makes rear entry easier.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2274 on: 26 Dec 2008, 11:16 »

My brother wears girl pants, but a least he has a belt that isn't entirely vestigial.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2275 on: 26 Dec 2008, 11:24 »

I've been thinking about buying some girl pants, but only because I can't find men's cords that are fitted in the thigh with extreme flair in the calf/ankle.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #2276 on: 26 Dec 2008, 12:11 »

That's the reason I've been wearing girls pants for two years. They just don't make guys pants that are extremely form fitting in the thigh and fitted or flared in the calf/ankle.

I kind of wish I could sew my own denim.

Fortunately I've never done the sag thing. I wear them like normal pants.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2277 on: 26 Dec 2008, 13:18 »

If I had skinny legs I would wear tight-ish jeans, not that tight though. Even if I did, I wouldn't sag them. That's just nasty.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #2278 on: 26 Dec 2008, 13:40 »

I think of "womanizer" as implying that the women involved are unaware of his intentions and led on, in order for him to get in their pants.
I honestly can't find a single supporting source for that particular definition.

I'm sorry, but does NO ONE listen to Britney Spears? Come on, people, get on the ball.

Also, men/boys: stop wearing ladies' pants. I appreciate the whole 'I am okay with androgeny" thing, but they were not made for your bodies. No dude, however well built or good looking, can pull them off. Real talk.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2008, 13:44 by Skibas_clavicle »
I like the way you work it.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2279 on: 26 Dec 2008, 14:38 »

I recently got some dark-wash Levi's 507s (slim boot cut). I'm pretty happy with them so far. I've been wearing skin tight pants for so long that my perspective is really skewed. I pretty much found what I wanted but they look so baggy to me when I look in the mirror. It takes some getting used to.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #2280 on: 26 Dec 2008, 16:10 »

My fashion advice is everyone should dress like Siouxsie Sioux. Including dudes.

Everyone should listen to Khar.  The dude is right
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #2281 on: 26 Dec 2008, 16:26 »

I bought a new pair of black fatigue pants with some of my christmas money, also going to get a second pair when the shop has extra stock. But the important thing is that German Army jacket I bought. One of those khaki things with the removable fleecy lining. I've been putting patches on it over the last few days and once I've bought batteries for my camera you can have pictures.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2282 on: 26 Dec 2008, 18:26 »

Nobody should ever sag their pants ever. I do not want to see your ass above your pants, I want to see your ass in your pants. I swear, every time I see someone in sagged pants, I have the urge to pull them down. One day, I swear I will. Even if it's you. *points*

Guys, I have a question. This has been something I've wondered about ever since I heard of guys wearing girls pants. I've worn guys pants before, which are kind of lacking in the butt region, but there's plenty room everywhere else. With girl pants, it's basically the opposite. My question is how do you find these comfortable? Do you go up a size to allow room for your junk or what?

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2283 on: 26 Dec 2008, 18:56 »

It's all a matter of careful tucking, constant adjusting, and the ability to retract your genitals into your chest cavity at will.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2284 on: 26 Dec 2008, 19:04 »

Pretty much.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2285 on: 26 Dec 2008, 20:05 »

I am wearing girl pants right now. They are the best fitting jeans that I own. I have several pairs, actually, that are girl pants. None of them are skin-tight, though, as it is basically impossible for any pants to be that tight on my skinny legs and still be long enough.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2286 on: 26 Dec 2008, 20:35 »

Yeah... I own two pairs of girls pants, and both of them are flares. They don't make flares for guys anymore. Or if they do, they're impossible to find. The only annoying thing was that they both lacked a back pocket, which I fixed by sewing one on. 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #2287 on: 26 Dec 2008, 20:35 »

I don't understand what are girl pants. Is it another name for skinny jeans?
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2288 on: 26 Dec 2008, 20:39 »

It's another name for women's pants.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2289 on: 26 Dec 2008, 20:41 »

Loose fitting pants (read: ones that are not tight on my waist, not pants that sag to my knees) are what I prefer. I don't know why but when I wear tight pants, I tend to get horrible stomach-aches..and it's not like I'm fat, quite the opposite actually. Plus, tight pants just look plain ugly. No man has legs that are flattered by them.

No man.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #2290 on: 26 Dec 2008, 20:44 »

Oh yes they do, believe me.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2291 on: 26 Dec 2008, 22:04 »

My legs look better in tight pants.

I have noticed of late, that my abs look much better if I'm wearing loose pants though.

tradeoffs!

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2292 on: 26 Dec 2008, 22:32 »

My legs are so huge from training/racing (cycling) that I've had trouble finding a pair of jeans (or any pants for that matter) that fit. I think that my legs are actually quite a bit wider than my waist, so I have to have a pair of pants that fits my waist, but also has room for my meatier than average legs. A couple months ago when I needed some new jeans, I discovered that Levi's 559's are the perfect pair of jeans for me. They actually fit like slim-fit jeans around my waist and legs (which I like because I abhor baggy pants), but are cut loose enough that I can actually walk/run/cartwheel freely.

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #2293 on: 26 Dec 2008, 22:49 »

I have noticed of late, that my abs look much better if I'm wearing loose pants though.

[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2294 on: 26 Dec 2008, 22:52 »

Hey, don't knock it 'till you've tried it kids.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2295 on: 26 Dec 2008, 22:57 »

These are the things you have to think about when you are actually attractive to members of the opposite sex. Don't blame yourself if it's never crossed your mind.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2296 on: 26 Dec 2008, 22:58 »

girl on the right of gene's photo,
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #2297 on: 26 Dec 2008, 23:06 »

These are the things you have to think about when you are actually attractive to members of the opposite sex. Don't blame yourself if it's never crossed your mind.

« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2008, 23:12 by Spluff »

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2298 on: 26 Dec 2008, 23:12 »

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I don't have to years of eating disorders and compulsive steroid use to back it up.

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #2299 on: 26 Dec 2008, 23:13 »

Good to know.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 77   Go Up