Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 7037 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Braid
« on: 09 Aug 2008, 08:52 »

Jonathan Blow's Braid is now out on XBLA and the fact that there isn't a topic on it yet is absolutely stunning.

Bryan and I both bought it basically the second we finished the demo. I had a teeth-gritting time with some of the puzzles but the second I completed them I dropped my jaw and gave in to the notion that I would wind up loving this game.

Blow might be a pretentious bastard but frankly I love pretentious bastards and he's made an awesome experience. Go get this game right now.

Seriously. I have all day. I can wait.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2008, 09:29 »

I can't figure out how to get the two pieces all the way at the end of the 2-2 (the one with the puzzle).  I have every other piece from that world, which made a small platform, but that doesn't help me get a bad guy over there to jump on.

I've been too busy getting stumped to all hell.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2008, 10:06 »

So whats this, like The Incredible Machine meets Lemmings?  Im unconsoled (see what I did there) ever since my move and cant play the demo.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2008, 10:43 »

Dimmukane, the trick is that the puzzle is movable within the frame. Move the puzzle within the frame so that the platform lines up with the one on the left so that the enemy walks onto it, then move it over after it walks onto it so that it falls onto the lower level and walks over to the key so you can grab it. Then move it over to the right so you can make the jump between the two higher platforms and get the 4th piece.

That puzzle, as soon as I figured it out, was what sold me on the game. Beyond the beautiful art, there's just a supreme creativity and attention to detail to the way these levels are designed. The problem is that the game gets fucking hard after a little while. It took me a second to figure out the trick to 2-2, but I spend 15-20 minutes trying to figure out the last piece to World 3 before I just moved on even though the one missing piece really chafed the completionist within me. But I only managed to get about half the pieces in World 4, it's really tough. I turned it off at that point yesterday because I was sure that World 5 would make me feel like an idiot.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. Yes, it's somewhat pretentious, but it's got a great aesthetic design and the care given to the unconventional gameplay is beyond almost anything I've seen before. It's more expensive than most XBLA games, sure, but a lot of people on this forum bought the Penny Arcade game for even more money and while that was great and all, it wasn't nearly as thought-provoking or unique as Braid is.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2008, 10:48 »

World six has a time-distortion device.  That made for some interesting puzzles, for sure...5 is the one with the 'phantom' stuff.  If you do something and rewind, it will create a phantom Tim that does what you just did.

Other puzzles that have me peeved: the first piece in Irreversible (World 3, it's the only one left.  I can't figure out how to move the green platform back down...would I fast-forward or something?), and the one in World 4 in which the key has a mind of its own.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2008, 10:54 »

Yes, that one in World 4 is driving me insane. The one in World 3 that I can't get is the one that has the gate close down around it. I can't figure out how to get the key, flip the green platform over to where I can jump on it, and get to the piece all before the door closes in the way.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 2008, 11:10 »

If it's the level I'm thinking of (the one with the green platform you stand on and all those cannons), I can't remember what I did, only that it took about 15 minutes of trial and error rewinding to get it.  It involved rewinding in a way that the platform prevented me from going exactly back through my footsteps, though.  I might go back to it later to see if I can do it again.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 09 Aug 2008, 12:32 »

I figured it out, finally, and got all but 2 pieces in World 4 (stupid fucking Hunt level). I am still missing a bunch in 5 and 6 though, they get really fucking hard.

simplename9

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 09 Aug 2008, 20:40 »

I managed to find every last piece and beat the game, but surprise, you can't get the real ending until collecting more very well hidden items.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2008, 21:44 »

I figured it out, finally, and got all but 2 pieces in World 4 (stupid fucking Hunt level). I am still missing a bunch in 5 and 6 though, they get really fucking hard.

I did that one the other day...you have to kill them in a certain order for it to work, so you can get up to the top and still keep all of them dead for at least a split second.  Buggered if I can remember the order.  I think the top one was first, and it might have gone in a counterclockwise circle.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 09 Aug 2008, 21:47 »

Yeah, I've only got 3 pieces left to go. 1 in World 5, 2 in World 6. Damned if I can figure them out though.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2008, 10:41 »

Man I can't wait for the PC version.
I love Dave Hellman's art so much.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2008, 16:35 »

I managed to find every last piece and beat the game, but surprise, you can't get the real ending until collecting more very well hidden items.

whut

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2008, 18:52 »

It's not so much a real ending as a very blatant statement of one of the implied metaphors within the story.

The last level is absolutely goddamn amazing, though. Such a head trip when you hit the X button at the end.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2008, 17:18 »

goddamnit, i only have one piece left and i cannot fucking figure it out.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2008, 17:54 »

I bought this last night and played it for about an hour.  Got through the first two levels (2 and 3?  Where is world 1?) but I have a couple of pieces missing on 3 at the moment. This is a really goddamn good game.  I can't remember smiling so much (at the ingenuity of the puzzles, not in-game comedy) while playing a game since maybe Portal, and then probably a loooong time before that.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2008, 13:45 »

Bought this a couple hours ago... worlds 5 and 6 (5 less so) are kicking my ass right now. Didn't pick up any pieces at all in my run through world 6.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42 »

I managed to get through all the puzzles with a little determination, but I have yet to find any of the secret pieces.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2008, 22:10 »

oh my god

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2008, 22:43 »

ARGH WORLD 5 ARGH GIVE ME THE LAST TWO PIECES ARGH
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2008, 23:33 »

oh my god

Blow actually showed up in the Comments section:
Hi guys, interviewee here. I just want to put forth that I disagree with the way this article characterizes the interview, especially the following part:

"All of this really frustrates Jonathan Blow. There is a point to the game, and a message he’s trying to communicate. And so far, nobody’s gotten it."

That is not how I feel about Braid, at all. As I say in the actual interview, a lot of people understand a lot of Braid. I did not put the game out there as some kind of secret message and then wait to judge people based on whether they "understood it" or not.

So if you are going to call me a pretentious jerk or something like that, I just ask that you base it on what I actually said, rather than what someone else says my opinion is. Thanks!

-Jonathan.
PS blah blah blah jungian archetypes blah blah derridia blah blah princess mononoke blah blah quantum physics
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:18 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #23 on: 05 Aug 2009, 06:59 »

Guys, I'm so sorry for necromancing a year-old thread, but I just bought this game on XBLA last night, and HOLY SHIT IS IT AWESOME! I think my writer brain nerdgasmed over the way the storyline is presented; it may be one of the more poetic narratives in any game I've ever played.

Why the hell did I wait so long to play this?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #24 on: 05 Aug 2009, 07:20 »

necro can be forgiven because also it was recently announced that it's coming to the PSN.  Finally Playstation owners get some Braid.  which is totally awesome. 

Durb Durb Durb

• Plantmonster
« Reply #25 on: 05 Aug 2009, 21:40 »

This game was fun as hell, and the ending blew my brain out. There's still some bits of it on the ceiling.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #26 on: 08 Aug 2009, 10:28 »

I recently realized it had been ported to Mac. sweet
Pages: [1]   Go Up