THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 May 2024, 23:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 477017 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1650 on: 05 Jan 2013, 21:12 »

In a nearby bar, the tacos sometimes ooze a little orange grease. I assume that's from inadequately drained ground beef with the taco spices added. What would add the color -- ground chili? paprika?

Its usually just the beef, I've seen it with lasagna a few times. As to what causes the colouration, my guess would simply be the rendered meat juice is combining with the oil used in cooking it.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1651 on: 05 Jan 2013, 21:37 »

I've just finished making rose and violet cream chocolates for a (belated) Christmas gift.  They seem tasty to me, but I really hope the recipient thinks they are a good go at what she remembers from when she lived in the UK because, while they were simple enough to make, acquiring the ingredients was troublesome, and a bit costly. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1652 on: 06 Jan 2013, 15:28 »

Sunday dinner - pork roast, baked potatoes and buttered peas! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1653 on: 06 Jan 2013, 17:27 »

Turkey burgers, sweet potato fries - and Coke (Zero Vanilla)!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #1654 on: 07 Jan 2013, 00:45 »

Gluten Free Lasagna.

Same as regular old lasagna, except with brown rice pasta.

And extra shredded cheese on top. ^.^
Worry Hat, Engage!

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1655 on: 09 Jan 2013, 13:02 »

Just made spiced roast pork with plum sauce. It was awesome.

Mixed butter with dark muscovado sugar, ground cloves and ground nutmeg and rubbed it into the skin of the joint before roasting.
Plum sauce was six plums, stewed in shallow water with a tablespoon or so of sugar, juice of half a lime, a star anise and a pinch of salt reduced to a nice thick red sauce.

So pleased with the results.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #1656 on: 10 Jan 2013, 18:24 »

What's up folks! Do you guys in the USA/Canada/wherever have Baileys (Irish cream). I bet if you are a vegan you are butthurt that you can't consume this delicious nectar...well be butthurt no more! I discovered an amazing recipe that I am going to tell you now so you can make yourself some tasty and vegan friendly Baileys.

Get 2 cans of coconut milk. I used one full fat and one reduced fat. You can use all full fat if you like, but not all reduced fat as you need some of the fat to keep the texture right. Stick it in a saucepan and pop the heat on, whisking out any lumps. Then add half a cup of brown sugar and whisk that in. Bring to a light boil and continue to whisk. Reduce by about a third, basically you want it to be somewhere between single and double cream. It should take like 8-10 mins. Don't leave that shit alone, because if you're not careful it'll turn real quick and you'll end up with condensed coconut milk (which is incredibly tasty also and good for use in desserts). Okay, take it off the heat. As it cools, whisk in some Irish whiskey (I used Bushmills, but Jamesons is good too). I put almost a cupful in, because I like it strong. I also added just over half a cup of fresh coffee from a cafetiére, but I guess you can leave this out. Also throw a pinch of salt in there, to bring out the flavours!

Hey presto! Wait for that stuff to cool properly then transfer to a bottle and pop it in the fridge. It'll thicken a bit as it cools, so bare this in mind during the reduction process, also considering as you reduce it that you'll be adding more liquid once it's done cooking. It'll keep for a week in a fridge. Give the bottle a little shake when serving as the whiskey may settle. YEAH BITCH.

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Papersatan

« Reply #1657 on: 10 Jan 2013, 19:14 »

We do have Baileys.  I find it to be reasonably tasty, but I never drink it.  I bought two bottles for an "old greg" themed birthday party a few years ago, and the only times I have had any since are when I am already drunk and we are out of other liquor. 

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1658 on: 10 Jan 2013, 20:41 »

Most vegans I know are also teetotallers. Their loss.  8)
Worry Hat, Engage!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1659 on: 11 Jan 2013, 06:05 »

That is possibly because almost all alcohol is not even vegetarian, never mind vegan...
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1660 on: 11 Jan 2013, 07:14 »

...Grain and barley aren't vegetarian?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1661 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:22 »

Yeasties are beasties. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1662 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:22 »

Is that the reason? Fusarium venenatum is a fungus too; it's used to make mycoprotein for Quorn stuff.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Papersatan

« Reply #1663 on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:08 »

I wouldn't say most, but a lot for sure.   Animal products are used in the filtering of many beers (I know Guinness for sure) but not all beers.  As far as I know most liquors are ok, as long as they haven't added cream or honey, which when they do that is usually not a hidden thing. 

Here is a website that tries to keep track for vegans:
http://www.barnivore.com/

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1664 on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:27 »

A lot of beers and many wines. I don't know about spirits because I don't drink them (nasty icky horrible things that make me fall over). I drink wine rarely, and as with cheese I haven't bought myself, I just don't ask.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1665 on: 11 Jan 2013, 21:47 »

A lot of beers and many wines. I don't know about spirits because I don't drink them (nasty icky horrible things that make me fall over). I drink wine rarely, and as with cheese I haven't bought myself, I just don't ask.
Mmm, cheeeese....

There is a cheese in France that is named for my family. There is a corresponding wine, too. In fact, there's an entire region in France that shares my family name, and yet I've never been...I don't even parlay voo fronsay.

Yeasties are beasties. 
And don't take antibiotics! Think of the poor microbacteria in your gastrointestinal tract...thy have families! FAMILIES!!! :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1666 on: 11 Jan 2013, 22:56 »

Very large families.  And getting bigger every day...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1667 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:59 »

Just made a chicken and green olive tagine with couscous. And the consensus from the family is that it was very tasty.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1668 on: 22 Jan 2013, 21:37 »

So my wife made lasagna rolls for my daughter's birthday - it's something she made up a couple of years ago.  You take the cooked lasagna noodles, and the usual ricotta cheese mix (with eggs and some parmesian) and spread it thin on the noodles, than roll them up.  Set them in a pan that has a bit of sauce on the bottom (we use a garlic meat sauce, but any good sauce will do), then top the rolls with more sauce and a good layer of mozzarella with some more parmesian.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or so.  We turn the oven up at the end to brown the cheese a little. 

Basically, it's lasagna in little single-serving pieces - not nearly as messy to serve, and easier as leftovers, too.  It's also cute, and delicious.  And it avoids the "lump of cheese here and there" of most homemade lasagna. 

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1669 on: 22 Jan 2013, 21:44 »

Not to be an ass, but I believe that's called Manicotti...the difference would be that the pasta is already in cylindrical shell form, not a sheet noodle.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

« Reply #1670 on: 22 Jan 2013, 22:05 »

Manicoti would be tubes with filling, an when you cut into it you would have noodle, filling, noodle.  What Carl described would be noodle, filling, noodle filling, noodle, filling, noodle (until it was done) which is more like lasagna. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1671 on: 22 Jan 2013, 22:09 »

Definitely more like lasagna.  I'd show you, but we finished out the pan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1672 on: 22 Jan 2013, 22:15 »

Ohhh, I see now. So, the ricotta is covering all of the noodle, then the cheese and noodle are wrapped as one?

...That does sound good. So good, that it's going on the LIST.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1673 on: 22 Jan 2013, 22:16 »

Exactly.  It's a little time consuming, but consuming it is worth the time...!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1674 on: 22 Jan 2013, 22:17 »

It's a little time consuming, but consuming it is worth the time...!

Your quote is also going on the LIST...but it's a different, less-edible list. 8)
Worry Hat, Engage!

Papersatan

« Reply #1675 on: 10 Feb 2013, 18:05 »

I tried to make turkish delight today.

It did not turn out. :(

I don't know if I should have cooked it longer, or if I needed more starch, but it doesn't hold it's shape.  I used tapioca starch instead of corn starch, and the internet has conflicting information about their relative thickening powers. 

It tastes great, but is sort of snotty in texture. 

(gonna eat some anyways)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1676 on: 11 Feb 2013, 00:23 »

Your quote is also going on the LIST...but it's a different, less-edible list. 8)

Mr. Mainwaring! Make him take my name off his list, Mr. Mainwaring!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Papersatan

« Reply #1677 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:29 »

For a while now, more than a year at least, I have been seeing people online raving about kale chips or crispy kale and how good it was and OMG the kids love it just like potato chips!

I was skeptical to say the least.  Today I made kale chips.  They are not bad.  They do have a bit of an after taste that says 'I am green' but it is pretty mild and if you seasoned them with something that blooms at the end of tasting (I dunno if that makes sense to anyone) it would cover it.  Stephen doesn't like most green things and he thought they were tasty, so that is a good review.  Another advantage is kale is dirt cheap.  I paid 81 cents for our bunch and after making our cookie sheet full of chips there is enough left for at least another sheet full. 

8.5/10  will make again. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1678 on: 17 Feb 2013, 15:03 »

I'm sure I could google it, but I'm curious how you turn kale into chips.  I assume it involves baking by the cookie sheet comment, but what do you add / put on / dip them in to make them into chips? 

Papersatan

« Reply #1679 on: 17 Feb 2013, 15:14 »

oil.  It was like 4 ish cups of kale chopped into chip size bits and 1 tablespoon of oil and some salt and cayenne pepper.  Then I massaged it into them until they were all coated, an baked at 425 until crispy (5 min maybe?)

We made a second batch the same night, so obviously we are into them. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1680 on: 17 Feb 2013, 15:51 »

Kale? As in, boerenkool? That's interesting... Here it's usually eaten in a dish with mashed potatoes and gravy, pretty traditional Dutch food. I've never heard of making it into chips, but I suppose you could easily do it since it's already rather crisp.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1681 on: 17 Feb 2013, 18:10 »

I've had kale crisps, and they tasted like dust.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1682 on: 17 Feb 2013, 18:54 »

After Kat's post, I bought some at a Whole Foods in Tucson yesterday, passing up the flavored versions for plain. At first it tasted like dust, but it took on an OK flavor as I kept going. I'm curious about the other flavors. I'm more curious about nori chips, and I see that that's possible.

Papersatan

« Reply #1683 on: 17 Feb 2013, 19:01 »

I cannot speak for ones made and packaged for resale.  I cant imagine what I made would stay crispy long, but maybe.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1684 on: 17 Feb 2013, 19:24 »

Spooky....i made kale chips friday! it was my third time making them and also the third time i didn't have any left for the following day because i ate all of them straight off the cookie sheet. i massage mine with a mix of olive oil, garlic and sea salt, then after baking i drizzle a little lemon juice on them. grated parmesan is good too  :-D oh god, i want more. you'd think the two pounds i ate the other day would have been enough.

y'know what is even cheaper than usual this time of year that i am super excited about? Cabbage. i cant get enough greens lately! i boiled some up with dinner yesterday, topped with a touch of melted butter and a smidge of salt. served it next to some honey mustard pork chops and a brown and wild rice blend with julienned carrots and chopped broccoli. nick didnt quite understand my cabbage enthusiasm, but i didnt mind. more for me!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1685 on: 17 Feb 2013, 19:57 »

I made tuna-chicken salad. Quite accidentally, actually. I had to add chicken because I ran out of tuna, after adding too much mayonnaise. The kids don't mind though, it's for a tea party, and they're five years old. They'll eat anything if it sits still long enough.

The trick is to rehydrate some chopped dried onion using lemon juice...about one teaspoon of each, per can of tuna.

*nom*
Worry Hat, Engage!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1686 on: 17 Feb 2013, 20:05 »

Fresh onion works well, too, but then you need to let it sit a bit for the flavor to ... distribute?  Mingle?  Something like that. 

Papersatan

« Reply #1687 on: 17 Feb 2013, 20:14 »

I have heard "marry"

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1688 on: 18 Feb 2013, 08:57 »

call me weird, but i prefer the chopped and dried stuff to fresh onion. it's just too pungent for me. blech.

edited because yay typos
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2013, 06:21 by lepetitfromage »

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1689 on: 18 Feb 2013, 13:54 »

Rehydrating dried onion with something other than water allows for more diverse flavor profiles, as well. And yes, marry (or marinate) would be the proper term.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1690 on: 18 Feb 2013, 16:16 »

Petit, that's one reason I prefer onion that has been cooked in some way to raw onion. There is one place that loads their quesadillas up with it and I always have to scrape it out. (I've asked for no onion once - they forgot. No more quesadillas from there!)

I made goulash (beef paprika) on Valentine's day. Michael asked what I could do with beef (since I wanted to make him dinner), and his options were steak, pot roast, and goulash - so my grandmother's recipe won. And it was fucking amazing. Off the top of my head, the ingredients were a 2lb. pot roast (because it gets very tender and shreds easily), an onion, paprika, cayenne, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, ground mustard, water, and maybe one or two other things. Seared the beef and then slow cooked everything together, reheated it for dinner and served over noodles.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1691 on: 18 Feb 2013, 17:11 »

I didn't realize that goulash had a specific method...I thought it was just some sort of macaroni with a bit of tomato base, and a lot of meat. Then again, I have no real knowledge of any culinary heritage from my family, except for a few recipes for Lefse.
Worry Hat, Engage!

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1692 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:25 »

Linds, that sounds awesome. I've been in the mood for a good roast lately. Or any red meat, really.....it's been so freaking expensive that we've been living on chicken and pork for the last few months.

I can deal with cooked onion now but for the longest time I wouldn't even eat that (in real food, anyway. I've always loved onion rings. :-P)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1693 on: 19 Feb 2013, 11:31 »

I made a curry so goddamn awesome last night that I even impressed myself, without doubt the best one I've ever made.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1694 on: 25 Feb 2013, 10:39 »

I had some mushrooms left over from making omelettes, so I put them on a ready-made oven pizza. They were ten days old by this point, and I kept them in a plastic bag in the fridge, but apart from being more moist they don't seem appreciably different. Do mushrooms go bad at all? It's not like they can get moldy, and bacteria certainly won't go near them, so I don't see why you couldn't keep them around forever.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1695 on: 25 Feb 2013, 10:53 »

They go a bit slimy, but if you're cooking them I can't see why that'd be a problem. Which reminds me, I have some mushrooms to use up. Need to think about what I can use them for...

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1696 on: 25 Feb 2013, 10:59 »

I didn't realize that goulash had a specific method...I thought it was just some sort of macaroni with a bit of tomato base, and a lot of meat. Then again, I have no real knowledge of any culinary heritage from my family, except for a few recipes for Lefse.

I've had it a few different ways, so I think it depends on what region of Europe the recipe originated. And of course I do things slightly different from the recipe I have because it's from the 40s at least...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Zingoleb

« Reply #1697 on: 06 Mar 2013, 19:18 »

i was looking up how to cook frozen stuffed clams and found this gem:

Frozen clams are relished only when served warm and there goes three different ways to cook them. You can go either for your oven, depend on your grill or simply make use of your time and end up with microwaving it. However, to microwave seafood stuffs like frozen clams, you should be sure of the density of the food and the quantity as well. To cook 3 frozen clams at a time, turn your microwave timer to 2 minutes and 30 seconds for a complete meal ahead to roll on your platter.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1698 on: 07 Mar 2013, 13:50 »

What is the longest someone here would keep something frozen? My Mammy wouldn't freeze anything longer than a month, especially cooked foods or chicken, but some stuff she'd chance maybe a couple weeks more. I just do what she says and it hasn't let me down yet.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1699 on: 07 Mar 2013, 14:05 »

Here's what the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has to say about keeping frozen food.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47   Go Up