THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 14:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 478559 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1800 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:05 »

What is a Yorkshire pudding?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1801 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:25 »

Yorkshire puddings are like popovers, if you have ever had them. 

They are amazing.  My grandmother used to make them with roasts.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1802 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:27 »

It's a savoury accompaniment to a roast dinner - typically you'll have a meat (beef here), roast potatoes, green/seasonal vegetables, and yorkshire puddings.

It's flour, eggs, milk, whisked together. This is essentially what makes a British pancake, but I know you guys have different kinds of pancakes to what we have. Ours tend to be thinner... but the mixes are the same.  I added more eggs than usual and let the mixture sit for a good half an hour before adding the flour. They absolutely ballooned in the oven!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1803 on: 15 Sep 2013, 12:34 »

I love filling yorkshires with gravy and letting them absorb the flavour and just bite right in.

Lupercal

« Reply #1804 on: 15 Sep 2013, 12:59 »

I have yet to master the "edible bowl" type of yorkshire, mine tend to look like toadstools (:

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1805 on: 16 Sep 2013, 11:20 »

My wife used the drippings from the roast for the Yorkshire pudding.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1806 on: 16 Sep 2013, 11:30 »

I neeeeeed to make these! They sound so delicious. Anyone have a recipe they'd like to share? I know I can Google Fu it but I'd rather have someone's "tried and true".
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1807 on: 16 Sep 2013, 12:16 »

I've only had pre-made frozen ones, so I don't have a homemade recipe to compare it to. Although if they could stay edible, I'd gladly post some out to you.   :-P

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1808 on: 16 Sep 2013, 23:30 »

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1809 on: 17 Sep 2013, 04:51 »

My dad used to make them with roast beef.  As did Redball's wife, he used the pan drippings.  And we'd soak up the beef juices with them.  They were airy and delightful, and I miss them - he hasn't made them in 40 years or so. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1810 on: 17 Sep 2013, 07:58 »

If you're planning the beef, the pudding doesn't look very difficult. I thought I'd find my wife's recipe on a 3x5 card, but in the absence of one, she probably used this from a 1960s-era Joy of Cooking.
(click to show/hide)

I think it's also possible to use suet.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1811 on: 17 Sep 2013, 08:14 »

Yay!! Thank you :-D

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #1812 on: 17 Sep 2013, 08:31 »

What is a Yorkshire pudding?

England's finest moment.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1813 on: 17 Sep 2013, 15:04 »

What the hell makes it puff?  There's no leavening of any sort. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1814 on: 17 Sep 2013, 15:05 »

Yorkshire is a magical place.

Mmmm I am making granola and my flat smells wonderful and it is actually WARM for the first time in days.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1815 on: 17 Sep 2013, 15:23 »

What the hell makes it puff?  There's no leavening of any sort.

Steam-power =)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1816 on: 17 Sep 2013, 17:09 »

I'm making some bacon mac & cheese with spinach rotini and it smells heavenly!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1817 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:20 »

I got a new set of knives! I have blogged about it extensively here on my food blog so head over there for pictures. If anyone can shed any light on what the middle and second-smallest knives are actually for, that'd be great (I suspect they have omnivore-relevant purposes that are a little less useful for vegans).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lupercal

« Reply #1818 on: 18 Sep 2013, 12:53 »

Middle knife looks like a carving knife, so you can cut through your nut roast! These are great (keep it sharp) for stuff like pumpkins and pineapples, generally tougher fruit and/or veg. Second smallest? Don't know it by name but I usually use knives like that for small fruit or veg cutting and perhaps fish prep. I find blades of that length very useful for cutting up stuff like firm soya.

I miss my uni knife block. They were cheapest-of-the-cheap knives but it was damn useful to have 5 of them.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1819 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:17 »

Smallest is paring.  Good for peeling.

If you're cutting anything acidic, like tomatoes, serrated is better.  If you use something with an edge, rinse it promptly, as the acid can dull the blade, or so I'm told.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1820 on: 19 Sep 2013, 10:09 »

Sadly the only serrated knife is the bread knife, but I have found that if I make a small cut with the tip of a flat-edge knife, I can then cut smoothly without squishing the tomato (everyone else in the world probably knew this already). I've been trying to wash the knives immediately so that I can resheaf them and retain my fingers!

Lupercal

« Reply #1821 on: 19 Sep 2013, 14:37 »

May that's the universal way of cutting a tomato, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Doing the Dukan diet as a "challenge". It's pretty shit, as most of the things that I can eat are bland. There are only so many slices of pre-cooked ham and tins of sardines one can eat. I did however make an awesome seafood omelette today, the base of which was some left over bruschetta my parents brought back from Sorrento. It is the tastiest thing I've had in days. Roll on Saturday when I may be able to reintroduce some amount of carbs.

And I want to make a coconut cream pie. Pics to follow.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1822 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:07 »

Mmmmmmm.....coconut cream pie is delicious.

I've always been more in favor of pies than cakes anyway- there is just something about them that is lovely and delicious and mmmmmmm....pie.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1823 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:40 »

If you're cutting anything acidic, like tomatoes, serrated is better. 

No, no, no, no, no.  I have this same damned argument with my wife every time.  A truly ripe tomato has a tougher skin then flesh, serrated tears them.  You get more control with a sharp edge, and can slice them thinner as well.  And if it's sharp enough, you don't need to do the piercing with the tip thing, but it works. 

Yes, I keep all my kitchen knives ridiculaously sharp (except the one my wife uses - she complained about all the cuts she was getting  :roll:)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1824 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:16 »

I keep my knives sharp as well. My sharpest knife is a purpose made sashimi knife, but that isn't used for anything but sushi. Not that I've used it for sushi yet. It's hard to find sushi grade fish.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1825 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:30 »

I'm in the middle of making curry. I've fried the onions and garlic, simmered the soya mince with potatoes, added the tomato puree, poured the mince mixture into the onions... and then realised that I forgot the curry powder. DUH. I've added it now, but I doubt it'll be as good as if I'd remembered to fry the onions in it!

Lupercal

« Reply #1826 on: 21 Sep 2013, 03:13 »

Took me 2 years of university to realise you actually have to season the base ingredients for curries and other such meals. I was so used to chucking all the spices in right at the end, I didn't realise it made such a difference until I tasted it!

My worst cooking faux pas tends to be cooking the main, say chilli, and then realising I have to cook the brown rice for 30 minutes.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1827 on: 21 Sep 2013, 03:38 »

I also had that - I'm used to white rice as that was all I could get before but now I have brown rice and I forgot how long it took!

Papersatan

« Reply #1828 on: 21 Sep 2013, 14:47 »

My grandmother told me about the first meal she cooked after she got married.  My grandfather off at work, she planned a whole meal to really shine in her new role as (1940's) wife.  A roast, a few side dishes and a dessert.  Apparently, while she had cooked at her mother's house, she had never planned a whole meal, so they ate in courses as nothing finished at the same time. :)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1829 on: 21 Sep 2013, 15:53 »

Haha that is how things were when I started cooking - I'm getting better but it still takes a lot of planning if I'm making several things at once!

I've been making some changes to my cooking blog which hopefully will increase the number of visitors and also make it a bit easier to navigate. It's interesting, I've noticed I get far more page views on Wednesdays, and the lowest numbers at weekends. Also visitors have increased since I became vegan, so I've updated my title and descriptions to include that detail. I enjoy blogging but it's much more fun when I know someone is reading and especially when I get comments!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1830 on: 28 Sep 2013, 17:24 »

For this week's experiment, Katsu Udon!

Came out okay, Broth was a bit weaker then I wanted.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1831 on: 28 Sep 2013, 17:43 »

Ohhh that looks yummy!

I was feeling lazy but brave after a busy day, so I decided to do an impossible chicken pot pie. I made a similar thing with ground beef a while back but this time I went into it blindly (with the exception of the crust). It's in the oven now- let's hope it tastes as good as it looks and smells!

ackblom12

« Reply #1832 on: 28 Sep 2013, 21:29 »

Just to make a point about how much drinking I've been doing tonight, I saw this thread on tapatalk and could have sworn it was the cuckolding thread. Very different from the actual theme of the thread.

Lupercal

« Reply #1833 on: 29 Sep 2013, 05:19 »

Well, we are all trying to get different, vibrant, sexier foods than our usual pairings...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1834 on: 29 Sep 2013, 05:25 »

Deep-freeze pizzas that were on sale = good. Deep-freeze pizzas + extra leftover mushrooms and cheese = great.*

You know what they say, cooking is science for hungry people. Math is a science, and arithmetic is a kind of math, therefore, adding toppings to frozen pizza equals cooking!

*Pizzas were obviously baked prior to eating.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1835 on: 29 Sep 2013, 17:40 »

I thought baking was the science and cooking was more like art, because you can just throw pretty much anything together and still have it come out tasting good. Also popping a frozen pizza in an oven is totally cooking! Lazy, delicious cooking...

May, do you have a recipe for your curry? I really want to try making a simple curry at home and all the recipes I've been finding seem really complicated, but granted they're coming from Food Network. Or if anyone has a recipe for slow cooker curry, I'd love to see it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1836 on: 29 Sep 2013, 17:49 »

The recipe I posted earlier is pretty simple Linds, and it could probably be adapted to a slow cooker easily enough.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1837 on: 29 Sep 2013, 17:50 »

I've been considering adapting my curry recipe to a slow cooker, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1838 on: 29 Sep 2013, 17:59 »

The recipe I posted earlier is pretty simple Linds, and it could probably be adapted to a slow cooker easily enough.

If I can find curry blocks, I'll try it, but I don't think I've ever seen them before.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1839 on: 29 Sep 2013, 18:02 »

Forsooth madam! To thine Asian grocer in your local! Quickly! Alternately I believe Amazon has them as well.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1840 on: 29 Sep 2013, 18:10 »

There's a lot more hispanic grocers around here than asian... I think there's a grocer semi-attached to one of the Indian restaurants I frequent occasionally, but I'll check the local international grocery next time I go there. (It's a 40min drive. It's an awesome place, I just don't go there often.)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1841 on: 29 Sep 2013, 19:09 »

I usually use curry powder instead of curry blocks, and you can usually get curry powder at a grocery store, but you shouldn't. If you don't have an Asian market nearby (as I don't, the nearest one I know of is in OKC), then the next best option is to order it online. Yeah, you have to pay for shipping, but it more than balances what you'd pay for getting it at a grocery store...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1842 on: 30 Sep 2013, 00:26 »

I improvise around this one, but I've not tried it in a slow cooker. It's not exactly authentic Asian cuisine but it tastes good.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1843 on: 30 Sep 2013, 06:28 »

I think I'm now on weekend meals for the next month (as well as some weekday if I happen to get home first.)

I have a repetoire, but it's not big.  I definitely need to try something new this month.

I'm wondering if I could pull of a vegetarian chili that my family would eat....

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1844 on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:18 »

I've been trying to wash the knives immediately so that I can resheaf them and retain my fingers!
Isn't a sheaf a bundle of wheat or paper, and a sheath what you put knives into? Or have I got that wrong?
I was raised to believe that you only need one "knife" in the kitchen:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1845 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:03 »

Isn't a sheaf a bundle of wheat or paper, and a sheath what you put knives into?

Correct - Sorry, May!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1846 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:08 »

You are quite correct! I've always had trouble with fs and ths. I don't hear the difference between them when other people say them, and I don't speak the difference at all apparently. But now hopefully I'll at least SPELL the difference.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1847 on: 30 Sep 2013, 13:43 »

Just to make a point about how much drinking I've been doing tonight, I saw this thread on tapatalk and could have sworn it was the cuckolding thread. Very different from the actual theme of the thread.

Now I'm picturing someone with a fetish for other people eating meals cooked by their wife.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1848 on: 30 Sep 2013, 17:50 »

...I wanna be friends with that person. I could use some more homecooked meals I don't have to make.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1849 on: 30 Sep 2013, 18:03 »

Well they say if you think of kink, it must exist so that person probably is out there.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47   Go Up