THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 396644 times)

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1200 on: 23 May 2018, 07:18 »

Lenny Henry was an excellent choice

THINGS I NEVER THOUGHT I'D READ EVER FOR 500

*shrug* He's leagues ahead of the plodding, wanna-be Keillor who narrates American Gods, who can't even get inflection right.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1201 on: 23 May 2018, 08:41 »

Lenny Henry was an excellent choice

THINGS I NEVER THOUGHT I'D READ EVER FOR 500

*shrug* He's leagues ahead of the plodding, wanna-be Keillor who narrates American Gods, who can't even get inflection right.

(slightly off-topic)
I think the worst "narrator" I've ever heard was the dude who did the voices for the Watchmen motion comic... bloody awful.
(And his attempt at female voices was laughable!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Stahlman

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1202 on: 28 May 2018, 06:01 »

I'm reading the Oathbronger by Brandon Sanderson. Oathbringer is the third book of The Stormlight Archive series. It's one of his most recent books, from last year I believe. It's amazing! Can't get enough of Brandon's books...
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2021, 10:21 by Stahlman »

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1203 on: 19 Jun 2018, 09:04 »

I've discovered that my library now has audiobooks online available for checkout, so I've been re-"reading" my favorites from Gaiman. Just finished Anansi Boys, and Lenny Henry was an excellent choice for the narrator.
I have never read the print version of that book, and I never will. Henry's awesome and masterful reading has destroyed it for me.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1204 on: 19 Jun 2018, 09:05 »

On my nth re-read of The Chronicles of Amber. Now in the early chapters of Sign of the Unicorn.
Easily my favorite epic fantasy series. Leagues ahead of The Dark Tower or The Lord of the Rings. (I haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire yet, but I don't anticipate it changing my mind.)
stePH
--

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1205 on: 03 Jul 2018, 06:37 »

I am reading Nisioin's "monogatari" series (Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, etc) as they come out in English translation.  I read Kabukimonogatari while on holiday, and Amazon tells me it will deliver Hanamonogatari around next weekend.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1206 on: 04 Jul 2018, 09:03 »

Finished the "Corwin" arc of the Amber series; taking a break before diving back into Merlin's story.
In the meantime, Harlan Ellison's recent passing reminded me that I got his book "The City on the Edge of Forever" a while ago on iBooks when it was on special.
Finished the first half, a protracted rant against Roddenberry and everyone else who slandered Ellison's character and ability, and eviscerated his script. Now at the actual meat, I've read the two plot treatments and am finally into the first draft of the script itself.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1207 on: 04 Jul 2018, 11:44 »

Just finished "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. It covers Theodore Roosevelt's life from birth to the moment he became president. I cannot remember the last biography I've read but this was truly amazing.  Theodore Roosevelt is perhaps the most interesting historical figure I have ever read.  It seems almost fantasy to see him born as a sickly little boy with super asthma and nervous diarrhea only to grow up and become a literal cowboy while also writing 13 books, fathering 6 children, being an active politician and even fighting in a war (he was 38)!  His boundless energy and will power along with his keen intellect is near superhuman.  Its almost unbelievable! He put together his own museum of natural history when he was 8 years old.  He tracked down boat thieves from his ranch pursuing them down an icy river, got in a fist fight with an armed cowboy that was shooting up the saloon, stalked the streets of New York City at night as Police Commissioner to catch cops sleeping on the job, lead a couple of battle charges in a war, modernized the navy, ran the state of New York.  Just wow.  His resume is staggering that its no wonder he became president.  His oration and charisma alone could have done the job but he had the experience, intelligence, and the grit to do it.

There's just so much more I want to say but the words escape me.  You just really need to check it out.

It was a bully of a read and I am delighted to recommend it.  :-D

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1208 on: 05 Jul 2018, 02:55 »

Just finished "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. It covers Theodore Roosevelt's life from birth to the moment he became president. I cannot remember the last biography I've read but this was truly amazing.  Theodore Roosevelt is perhaps the most interesting historical figure I have ever read.  It seems almost fantasy to see him born as a sickly little boy with super asthma and nervous diarrhea only to grow up and become a literal cowboy while also writing 13 books, fathering 6 children, being an active politician and even fighting in a war (he was 38)!  His boundless energy and will power along with his keen intellect is near superhuman.  Its almost unbelievable! He put together his own museum of natural history when he was 8 years old.  He tracked down boat thieves from his ranch pursuing them down an icy river, got in a fist fight with an armed cowboy that was shooting up the saloon, stalked the streets of New York City at night as Police Commissioner to catch cops sleeping on the job, lead a couple of battle charges in a war, modernized the navy, ran the state of New York.  Just wow.  His resume is staggering that its no wonder he became president.  His oration and charisma alone could have done the job but he had the experience, intelligence, and the grit to do it.

There's just so much more I want to say but the words escape me.  You just really need to check it out.

It was a bully of a read and I am delighted to recommend it.  :-D

I'm just over halfway through the second volume, Theodore Rex, and it's not quite as good, but is still fantastic. The way I described the first one, possibly even in this very thread, was that it reads like a novel, but it's about a real person. TR was so extraordinary a person that his life's exploits seem fictional.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1209 on: 13 Jul 2018, 16:41 »

Read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin to see what all the hubbub is about. I never imagined I would be swept up in such a story, but I am glad I was.  Jane Austin wrote wonderfully and kept it at a nice pace.  Its a nice drama about 5 sisters and their mother's mission to see them married before their father dies and they lose everything to his cousin. Not that the Father is on his deathbed or anything, he's in good health. Wonderful characters, witty verbal sparring, middle class intrigue, and a decent love story.  Elizabeth was an interesting character and her observations and changes in feelings toward some of the characters felt natural and never forced.  After the first 10 chapters I thought I knew what was going to happen, only for a cast of new characters to show up and constantly wreck everything and change the scenario. I don't know why, but I kept imagining Elizabeth's father as Stephen Fry. His sarcastic humor, especially toward his silly wife, was always a welcome sight. I honestly felt nothing for Jane and really didn't care much about the courting of Mr. Bingley. I detested Lady Catherine, Lydia, Kitty, Wickham, Caroline Bingley, Mrs. Bennet, and Mr. Colins, but I think the author didn't have much regard for them either. I kind of feel like many girls today try to be a Lydia as oppose to a Jane or Elizabeth, only to end up a Mrs. Bennet.  That just be in my experience though, and I don't read too much into it. Just a fleeting thought.

Worth a look if you haven't.  Time to go back to my original post and cross that off the list.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1210 on: 06 Aug 2018, 14:40 »

"People of the Lie", a psychologist's book about people for whom the best diagnosis is not a DSM entry but instead the word "evil".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fantasticalice

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1211 on: 14 Aug 2018, 04:57 »

I normally have several at once. Just.finsihed The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and found it delightful. Also has me re evaluating if I like romances or not.

Watched the movie so I could read a 7+ volume novel with a black man as the lead and am already halfway through The Dark Tower: Gunslinger. Really enjoying it. Also on kindle: Deadline by Stefanie Ahn. Read it. It moves quickly and just like Frankenstein is also written by a 19 year-old. It's a lesbian mystery novel. The genre is small and this is billed more as an urban fantasy as the Korean-American lead is also a witch. I'm not sure the extent of its Own Voice-ness but I'd be surprised if the East Asian author is not attracted to women and the way its written suggests she is pagan as well.

What I like is 2 chapters in I feel like I am reading about someone like me and who I would date. I read a lpt of scifi and fantasy which sadly often means low amounts of gay. It's also why I only deviate from Doctor Who for other inclusive fare. Because I think knowing a universe and character accepts you is important as well as the works in that Universe that show why.

I'm also actively reading Scientific Secrets of Doctor Who. I'm normally reading a dozen short story collection all at once but this one has me keeping a tight eye on it as every story is loosely based on real scientific concepts and then there is a discussion and elucidation of those concepts afterwards.I'm also reading "Lives of Dax" which is a lot of fun especially considering it does what Doctor Who does at least once a year.(A story anthology with multiple incarnations)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1212 on: 14 Aug 2018, 19:14 »

I'm nearly halfway through War and Peace. Its good, but long. If a typical novel was to an hour and a half movie; War and Peace would be to a 10 season series from HBO, with each episode being an hour a piece, with 10 episodes a season.  Its gripping and interesting with a bunch of colorful characters.  Arguably there are 4 main characters: Pierre (the intellectual), Andrei (the noble), Nikolay (the hussar), and Natasha (the wild one) with many fun supporting characters and ancillary ones.  All go through interesting turmoils both societal and emotional during Napoleonic era Russia.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1213 on: 15 Aug 2018, 00:44 »

Shade of the Tree by Piers Anthony.

I love his Xanth series (to a point) and quite enjoyed his Sci-Fi output.

But this one is a straight up 'horror' novel.
And by god it's pretty dull.
Covenant

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1214 on: 15 Aug 2018, 04:58 »

"Paul McCartney - The Life" by Philip Norman.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1215 on: 16 Aug 2018, 04:32 »

For some light summer reading, De imitiatione Christi. It's been on my list for ages, to better understand the Modern Devotion.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1216 on: 16 Aug 2018, 14:49 »

Currently reading "The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia".

It posits an convincing counter argument to the old standard narrative about civilisation. It makes the argument that the people of the hinterlands, rather than being the remnants of pre-civilisation are actually refugees escaping from civilisation whose culture and social structures are diliberately designed to frustrate the encroachment of state power from without and hinder its rise from within.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1217 on: 22 Aug 2018, 13:13 »

I just read Strip Tease by Carl Hiaasen, which is an entertaining piece of immaculately crafted trash, coated in Florida filth. Great fun. Just started reading Lucky You also by him.

Can't remember if I said in her already but I'm reading a Jeeves and Wooster book to my partners at the moment. I get to do accents and everything. It's so. Much. Fun.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1218 on: 24 Aug 2018, 06:43 »

Can't remember if I said in her already but I'm reading a Jeeves and Wooster book to my partners at the moment. I get to do accents and everything. It's so. Much. Fun.
I love pretty much anything Wodehouse, but J&W is my favorite.

Now reading the Preacher comic book series .
stePH
--

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1219 on: 24 Aug 2018, 13:59 »

I got The Adventure Zone graphic novel! Haven't started reading it yet but it looks so pretty.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1220 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:15 »

I'm reading Son of a Witch for the second time. With how awful my memory is, it's like reading it for the first time again, so that's kinda cool I guess? I remember it being awesome, though and I was not wrong there. I need to read more, I miss it so much!!

Also I seriously love the idea of story time for adults. The guy I'm sort of seeing is a journalist and I'm gonna ask him to make up a bedtime story next time I spend the night. He used to report on violent crimes. This should be interesting!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

jeremiah

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • just one more freak in the freak kingdom
« Reply #1221 on: 08 Sep 2018, 08:26 »

I'm reading the Orkneyinga Saga.  One of the Norse Sagas.  This one deals with the Earls Of Orkney and their relation to one another and the monarchs around them (most notably the Kings of Norway and Scotland).  I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

jeremiah

dutchrvl

« Reply #1222 on: 10 Sep 2018, 07:56 »

Oddly enough perhaps, the Fellowship of the ring.....or more accurately I'm having the book read to me (audiobook)

Tried reading the book about 20 years ago but couldn't get into it for some reason. Then the movies came out and well, never really thought about the books much again.
The audiobook is excellent so this time I managed to really get engrossed in it, so far at least (about 7 hours in)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1223 on: 11 Sep 2018, 03:04 »

Making Steam by the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett. Only on the Disc could a culture go through the entire Renaissance, going from late medieval to early industrial age, in less than a single generation!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1224 on: 11 Sep 2018, 03:14 »

I've just taken the opportunity to buy the Jules Verne editions they had in the library when I was a kid.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1225 on: 11 Sep 2018, 06:39 »

Started A Short History of World War I by James Stokesbury a couple days ago. iBooks edition on my iPad.
stePH
--

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1226 on: 25 Sep 2018, 07:26 »

Got the Count of Monte Cristo on my tablet, I think I'll be using it for train journeys. Like tomorrow.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1227 on: 25 Sep 2018, 15:17 »

It's a really engaging book! It also interesting how it portrays the society and mores of the time, given that it takes all its characters from the idle rich. Their way of interacting is so strange, I struggle to believe that people of that era were truly so overdramatic.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1228 on: 25 Sep 2018, 22:52 »

If I remember correctly - it's been a while since I last read it - many started from more or less humble beginnings. It's all Dantes' circle throughout. So, it's really the nouveau riche.
As for how they act, there's some evidence that people really did act more emotionally in that day and age. I'll see if I can dredge up that study.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1229 on: 26 Sep 2018, 00:20 »

I've had Terry Pratchett and Steven Baker's "The Long Earth" for ages, but didn't want to read it as I knew it was the first of a series... but then I was in "the Works" (weird stationery/art supplies/bookstore) and they had the full run of five books for a mere tenner!

So... now I have two copies of The Long Earth!

Just started it, and it reads very well... looking forward to it! :)
Covenant

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1230 on: 27 Sep 2018, 12:55 »

I just started the series a little over a month ago as something to read on the bus or at the kava bar when I want to take a break from my computer.  I started the second book last week, and it seems to go a bit faster since the basic world-building is out of the way, and am over halfway through despite only sporadic reading.  Probably going to pick up the next one today.  With the funeral and reception I'm at tomorrow forcing me to deal with people I wouldn't under other circumstances, I need something enjoyable to stick my nose in.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1231 on: 27 Sep 2018, 17:29 »

I finished Mike Reiss' Springfield Confidential and it was a pretty good read. I flew through it and I definitely recommend it for any Simpsons fan

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1232 on: 07 Oct 2018, 22:38 »

I'm nearly done with War and Peace (If I didn't get sick so much the past few months I would have finished in August).  It is Spooktober and I have a free credit on audible.  Any suggestions in the spirit of the month regarding classics?  Last year I read Dracula, Frankenstein, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Vampyre. I don't want to waste the credit on anything short that I can just listen to while at work in a couple of hours.  Are there any classics I am missing?  I tried to do some googling but many lists have stuff I already read (Young Goodman Brown, Macbeth) or something I am just not interested in (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) but I am pretty sure there's a spooky scary classical novel in my blind spot and welcome any suggestions.
 :venonat:

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1233 on: 07 Oct 2018, 23:27 »

There's Poe, of course.

If you're looking for classic Gothic novels, there's also the Monk, and the Castle of Otranto.

Each individually might be a bit short, though. Especially compared to War and Peace.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1234 on: 08 Oct 2018, 19:21 »

I've read some of Poe (The Raven, Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Fall of the House of Usher) and I may take it upon myself to read a few more this Spooktober but its not enough to justify a credit.

The Monk synopsis makes it seem too...how should I say...rapey? hardcore? gorn-ish? So I may have to pass on that.  The Castle of Otranto seems comical but short.

I am wondering if I've already hit all of the classics. If so, my mission is complete and I can pick something a bit more modern.  Thank you for the suggestions Cornelius.  :-)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1235 on: 08 Oct 2018, 22:39 »

I can see that. I don't remember it as quite as explicit as that, but there's definitely that kind of tone.

In the same generation, there's also the Mysteries of Udolpho, and Melmoth the Wanderer. Vathek as well, but that shares a bit in the sins of the Monk.

Otherwise, I think you've skimmed off the top titles already.

There's still Le Fanu, with Carmilla. Though I haven't read that myself yet.
You might be interested by some of Hoffman's tales as well.

Edit: tip of the day: when posting in English, switch from the French autocorrect.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2018, 23:31 by Cornelius »

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1236 on: 09 Oct 2018, 05:08 »

Medusa Uploaded by Emily Devenport - The story of a self-declared mass-murderess' struggling to instigate a revolution of the calcified quasi-feudal society aboard a generation-starship.

Classical music & pop-culture references abound! Courtly intrigue! High-tech-assisted liberation movement! Lots of people get on the wrong side of an airlock! (I'm about half-way through, and the protagonist has already taken five 'involuntarily spacewalks')

Surprisingly fun.  :-D
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2018, 10:54 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1237 on: 09 Oct 2018, 14:44 »

Currently reading the prequel novel to "The Predator". Supposedly sets up events for the film. But really, the author just uses one of my biggest pet peeves and keeps hopping from perspective to perspective to perspective within a chapter. Not only that, but he keeps rehashing the same points over and over again. I get it already, old man had an encounter with a Predator during Vietnam and survived and now he feels haunted. I get it. I don't need to be told every time he shows up! JUST GIVE ME A PREDATOR HUNTING PEOPLE IN SWAMPS! THAT'S ALL ANY OF US WANT FROM ANYTHING INVOLVING THE FRIGGIN' PREDATOR!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1238 on: 15 Oct 2018, 02:30 »

I got about three-quarters through Thrawn (2017) before I gave up on it, realising that I simply didn't give a shit.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1239 on: 15 Oct 2018, 07:44 »

I finished "War and Peace".  My thought halfway through can be found here. If I hadn't been sick for the past few months, coupled with my Daughter's surgery, I probably would have finished sooner.  As I mentioned earlier it follows arguably 4 protagonists during the Napoleonic War in Russia.  Where as the first half really focuses on the plot, personal beliefs, and soul searching of the main characters (as well as some small characters), the second half picks up where they left off with the addition of whole chapters and series of chapters of the author/narrator's personal view on philosophy, history, and people. This can really slow down the plot as you want to know if character X is going to be okay or what is character Y's reaction to another character's death/mutilation.  I will say the narrator's essay are very intriguing and make you question the narrative you learned in school that  historians have put in place.  These parts could have been a whole other book titled "The State of Historians and the Philosophy of People Over Persons" or some such thing.  When you get to the end of the book there are 2 epilogues. The first wraps up everything with the characters and the rest of their lives.  The second epilogue is all about the narrator's view on everything covered in those essays. I will say the story is incredible and if you can get past a couple of boring chapters of soirees in the beginning, it really gets good. The interweaving stories of Pierre, Andrei, Nikolay, Natasha along with their friends and relations are captivating. It has action, romance, comedy, tragedy, political and societal intrigue, philosophy, history, and even a look inside the secretive Freemasons.  Its worth the read, but there is no denying that its a mountain.  If you are a literary hiker you will enjoy this trail but be sure to pack for a couple of nights.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1240 on: 24 Oct 2018, 18:49 »

"The Practicing Stoic", by Ward Farnsworth.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1241 on: 31 Oct 2018, 12:42 »

I needed a palette cleanser after War and Peace and so I just read both The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard and The Adventures of Brigadier Gerard by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Funny story, I didn't know there were 2 volumes and I read The Adventures (which is vol 2) before The Exploits(vol 1). Which didn't matter as its a collection of stories.  It takes place in Paris at a cafe where an old hussar hangs out and he tells you about his adventures when he was a hussar for Napoleon's Grande Armée. Imagine D'Artagnan if he was a Napoleonic hussar and there were no musketeers to hang out with. He duels, is sent on James Bond style secret missions, wooes lovely ladies (that didn't really know what love was until they met Gerard! *swoon*), swaggers with his dangling saber, and twirls his mustache! Of course this is all told from Gerard's perspective as he recounts the tale so who knows how much of it was "true" and how much is imbelished. The stories are told out of order so the first story may take place in Spain in 1810 but the next one may be in Venice in 1805!  This was rather confusing at times considering I read vol2 and then vol1, and the story about how he did something so unspeakable that any British soldier that finds him would execute him immediately, only for the next story to be about him in a British Lord's house after being released as a p.o.w. After consulting Wikipedia I discovered that the second story happened a year before the first (and that there was a volume 1 that told how he got captured). It was really fun to read. In one story he rides with a hussar to duel a German count that killed the hussar's father during the revolution, only to fall into a trap and have to McGuyver their way out and save the princess. So many twists and turns along with Gerard obviously embellishing the story a bit made for a really exciting and fun adventure.  I listened to them on audio book which was great because the voice actor was British doing a faux French accent the whole time. He kept switching back and forth on the pronunciation of lieutenant that it added to the comedy, along with his exaggerated British accents he put on for British characters. If you're looking for some adventure or want to read some Doyle outside of Sherlock Holmes then check out this adventure comedy.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1242 on: 01 Nov 2018, 04:00 »

Sounds interesting.

So we imagine this kind of character?
(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1243 on: 01 Nov 2018, 06:13 »

At the start of every story, most definitely. Then its a younger version (20s) during the flashbacks.  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1244 on: 08 Nov 2018, 11:33 »

Currently listening to the Haunted Forest Tour audiobook.

I don’t know if it’s meant to be serious, comically gruesome or if it’s just the narrator not having a clue.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1245 on: 27 Nov 2018, 20:42 »

Hmmm,

Should I pick up Le Morte D'Arthur By Sir Thomas Malory, or The Once and Future King By T. H. White? Le Morte D'Arthur was written in the 1480s and the language is very much of that time (almost seems like a mix of the Iliad translation I read and Moby Dick) but is probably the closest thing to "original" Arthurian legend, however The Once and Future King was written in the 1950s and has a more contemporary approach to story telling and is also the contemporary retelling of the Arthurian legend. I can honestly go either way and wanted to know if anyone has read either of them.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1246 on: 28 Nov 2018, 11:17 »

Finally on the third volume of William Morris's outstanding Theodore Roosevelt biography. This is a trilogy of masterworks. I am absolutely gripped throughout and I am dreading when I run out of pages.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1247 on: 28 Nov 2018, 12:55 »

Finally on the third volume of William Morris's outstanding Theodore Roosevelt biography. This is a trilogy of masterworks. I am absolutely gripped throughout and I am dreading when I run out of pages.
The same William Morris who wrote the fantasy novels that inspired Tolkien and Lewis?
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1248 on: 28 Nov 2018, 12:58 »

The same William Morris who wrote the fantasy novels that inspired Tolkien and Lewis?
I don't think so. I think it was Edmond Morris that wrote the Theodore Roosevelt trilogy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Morris_(writer)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1249 on: 28 Nov 2018, 23:59 »

Nope. His first name is Edmund. I was sleepy when I wrote that...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Up