THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 03 Jun 2024, 14:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 90   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.  (Read 779688 times)

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.
« Reply #1850 on: 30 Mar 2009, 09:02 »

You know when you haven't slept in a day or two and you're just running off nervous energy and you feel like you're going to throw up but you know that you need real energy else you're just going to crash and you're gonna crash hard and if you can't keep this down it'll be sooner rather than later and you know that it's all your fault that you're in this situation anyway so you don't get to feel sorry for yourself and anyway your best course of action is to just try and power through it as well as you can make yourself because if you put it off any longer the whole ordeal will just take more time to go away and it's only gonna get worse if you don't just get it done. Some times I think I'd like to be completely rid of all this anxiety but I know that it's the only reason I care at all about what I need to get done and hence the only reason I do actually do anything and without it I'd just be like "whatevs" to everything until I fail out of uni and basically stop myself getting anywhere near where I want to go. Lets just get through the first half of this week and then we can take a day to step back and see where it all went so utterly wrong.

other news: I learned I quite like Beat Happening and I'd probably secretly enjoy Brothers and Sisters if I you know, watched it.

ed- Man Hannah I thought for a second that the text under your avatar said "I'm going to get you off while you sleep, tommy". I need a holiday.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2009, 09:08 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1851 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:33 »

Dear Blog Thread,

In my head, I'm already on the plane, asking the stewardess for a gingerale and ignoring the kid a row behind me kicking my seat. We're we'll above the Atlantic Ocean right now and the pilot has a ball of cocaine the size of a monkey's fist jammed straight up his asshole. penny arcade reference

GOD WHY CAN'T I BE IN SCOTLAND ALREADY

Best,
Christophe

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1852 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:59 »

Guys.

Dudes.

I love past me. He's so good at entertaining present me.

I just got home from class and found this in my mailbox:

I gazed at it, bemused, wondering why I was getting something about New Jersey real estate.

Then I saw:

And I giggled forever.

I'm a very simple creature.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1853 on: 30 Mar 2009, 13:10 »

Oh man, that is hilarious.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1854 on: 30 Mar 2009, 13:58 »

So, anyone vaguely remember my recent drug/alcohol induced rants? About some girl? Yeah...well...

Now my best friend and I are no longer friends because I said I don't like that girl.

I went to thereapy today and they didn't have anyone to se me.

My Gargoyle admitted that I am a burden and that he didn't want much involvement in my life.

Man, my life just keeps getting better and better.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #1855 on: 30 Mar 2009, 15:31 »

Surely you can talk it over with said best friend, just let the ardour cool for a little bit and I am sure things will get back to normal "mates before dates" and all that.

Did you arrange the therapy beforehand? If so then complain and ask the people (politely if this is the firs time, with extreme impoliteness if this is the second or more) time if they have stood you up.

Most people are a hassle to deal with, especially if you are handinling your own life, try and look at it from his point of view and make him see it from yours.

I could quote some cheasy schlock about "you can only look up when you are at rock bottom" but I am not going to, I am going to say something easier. Please just try and get past this, its not forever after all.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1856 on: 30 Mar 2009, 16:15 »

Man I really wish people would stop fucking smoking when there's like a room full of kids trying to do choreography. I haven't had an asthma attack in at least 12 years but man it is really starting to fuck with me and I might start carrying an emergency inhaler again soon.

Bonus points: it is the fucking teacher eurhgsuienrgim aghhhhh

Also I learned that the new rehearsal space we are using is in fact a mafia hangout. It is pretty awesome, there is a sign out front that says basically "Nothing is allowed in here that could be used as a weapon. Also if you have walkie-talkies stay out, we don't want any trouble caused by some nob calling for armed backup."

I feel safe :)
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1857 on: 30 Mar 2009, 16:21 »

PROTIP: Wielded properly, an SM57 connected to a microphone cable makes an excellent mace!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1858 on: 30 Mar 2009, 16:46 »

I don't care to fix things between that friend because she feels like I was in the wrong for disliking this girl. This girl repeatedly told me that she and I were making out that night, kept grabbing me, trying to take pictures of me/with me. At one point, I was laying on a sofa, and she laid on top of me. This is the first night I have ever met this girl. She brought her two year old child to a party where people were doing drugs and drinking. So if my friend would rather involve herself with people like this girl, I'd rather not involve myself with her.

As for therapy, the first person I talked to said I just needed to call and let them know an hour beforehand that I wanted to come in for a face to face. I called, and they said that they didn't have a therapist on my case, and that they'd call me when they had a therapist for me. So, already having a stressful day, I asked if I could just come in at all, they said yes. I went in, and they acted like I had never existed. It was frustrating.

My gargoyle is basically just my emotional support. And I think that once my problems are gone, he will be too.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1859 on: 30 Mar 2009, 16:51 »

Dear Jordan,

<3

Liz
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #1860 on: 30 Mar 2009, 20:11 »

Oh my god Jordan, I remember you telling me when you were doing that.  that is so amazing.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #1861 on: 30 Mar 2009, 22:14 »

i accidentally dropped this delicious cookie that i was eating on the floor and spent the last three minutes or so crawling around under my desk looking for the rest of this cookie so that i could finish eating it, i finally found it and ate it. it wasn't under after all that happened that i fully realized what had just happened and i sat under my desk for a little while and thought about it and decided this probably says some pretty gross things about me as a person.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1862 on: 30 Mar 2009, 22:28 »

'her life was a dirty cookie she ate off the floor' would probably be a pretty appropriate epitaph for me, yeah

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #1863 on: 30 Mar 2009, 22:34 »

this coffee sucks

GOD DAMN IT
it's time to stop posting

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #1864 on: 31 Mar 2009, 01:16 »

"her life was like a dirty cookie, covered in crumbs and messy as hell. Perhaps she would have found this fitting, but I got the feeling, as her cold blood was getting all over my shoes, that she would just have prefered an extra day if life."

Thanks, you have just given me an opener to a noir storyline. Also Today I get my tickets for edinburgh and go to the first movie night in ages, today is going to be good.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1865 on: 31 Mar 2009, 04:32 »

Oh hey, I'm flying to Italy tomorrow with my family.

But they've got internet there, so don't think you can start mucking up!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1866 on: 31 Mar 2009, 04:37 »

Harry you always travel to the coolest places. I eagerly await the photos!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1867 on: 31 Mar 2009, 05:05 »

Harry you should take the ferry over here, get a furgon to Tirana, and come hang out with me.

Also while he is gone I would like to make an important announcement: 8=======D

Today I have to dance again, and maybe I will get some practice with a wireless handheld mic (Shure Beta 58, for those who are interested) instead of a practically immobile condenser mic like we have been using for weeks. This to me makes asstons more sense, since, well, this is what we're going to be singing with onstage. We should've started practicing like this about 2 weeks ago.

And the new venue where we are dancing isn't even ready yet. They repainted the floor to have an awesome pattern, but they covered it with fabric because the paint is still tacky. And damn it, that's really not conducive for dancing. There's no telling how many times I've nearly fallen just because of catching my foot in a fold in the cover. But even if the cover gets taken off, the floor itself is sticky as fuck, so we still can't dance properly. GOD I wish these people would plan shit instead of giving less than 3 days' notice to the new venue.

(upside: oh my GOD there are like 2 ridiculously hot dancer chicks, and man, rehearsal time is the SHIT because they are both in my group)
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1868 on: 31 Mar 2009, 05:10 »

I am going to Italy next week.  We do not have the Internet at my sister-in-law's place up the mountains north of Lucca (that's at the top end of Tuscany near the coast), but we can see the leaning tower of Pisa from the garden(it's 23km away).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1869 on: 31 Mar 2009, 05:15 »

Aw yeah mothers lock up your daughters, daughters lock up your mothers, Paul and Harry in the house.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1870 on: 31 Mar 2009, 06:19 »

Man, can I go to Italy? Instead I am dealing with the upstairs neighbors' toilet leaking. Into my bathroom ceiling.
I took a shower last night and realized that half the ceiling was sagging down a full 4-5 inches right above my head. We poked a hole in the practically liquid drywall and collected 3 gallons of piss-scented water in a bucket before it stopped draining out.
The plumbing in the building is absolute crap, our living room flooded last summer and there is a constant hole/drip in the ceiling above the shower, but sewage??
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1871 on: 31 Mar 2009, 07:24 »

I had a rather lengthy text-conversation with the ex last night. Maybe the whole "being friends" thing will work out, after all. Plus she's giving me a lot of help with pre-calculus.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #1872 on: 31 Mar 2009, 08:47 »

Man I do not dig pre-calc. It's all a bunch of "remember L'Hopital's rule" instead of "okay check it these are sets".

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1873 on: 31 Mar 2009, 08:49 »

L'Hopital? We had some stupid thing Descartes came up with.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1874 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:23 »

L'Hôpital is awesome! It totally makes things so much easier.

Today I went to a huge karaoke place that has like 8 floors or something, where each floor has a ton of rooms you can rent. We stayed there for like 1,5 hours (plan was 2 hours for about 4000yen, with unlimited drinks), then realized that the people in 2 out of the 4 rooms we had rented hadn't gotten anything to drink, so we left and got the 1,5 hours and unlimited drinks in 2 out of 4 rooms for free instead of 4000yen. Sweet. Then we split up and went looking for a new place to hang, and I ended up walking with a bunch of people who I usually don't hang out with, but who I seem to have much more in common with, which was cool. We walked around for an hour looking for a place called Womb. When we finally (?) found it, it looked super lame, so we went looking for somewhere else, but ended up splitting up even more, and about 6 of us went back to the hotel. But it was fun! I got to walk around and talk with a couple of guys from my class for a while, which is really a lot more fun than finding some silly club.

Also, when I woke up today, my left eye lid was so swollen that my eye looked like a table tennis ball, and it took like 2 hours to go down. What the fuck?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1875 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:25 »

Don't eat the blowfish, Mari.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1876 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:33 »

L'hopital's rule rules! It was the few things about calculus that I enjoyed.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #1877 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:51 »

Thanks to Cauchy, Weierstrass, Cantor and a bunch of other people you don't need Descartes* (which means you don't need to get caught up in worrying about all the metaphysical crap around the concept of 'infinity'). Unfortunately, teaching things historically is usually the way it's done, even when there are other approaches which are clearer, more correct and give you good habits for when you go further in the subject.

On a bit of a barely related note, in one class I was given a copy of a paper that was a derivation of a thing that we were talking about. It is from the American Journal of Physics which is a pretty important and respected journal. At the end of this paper, after all the references (so it's on the back page with just a couple of lines of references) there is a box containing a quote under the title "The Stifling Grip of Religion" out of an article titled "The Limitless Power of Science". The passage states that a person without any context of our society or history, 'someone with a fresh mind', would 'doubtless scorn religion as sentimental wishful thinking'. I've never actually noticed this level of hostility outside of kids pumped up on Dawkins talking about how great they are because they told 'some christians' their beliefs are wrong. I do not think that that's really appropriate for the style of publication I thought Am. J. Phys. was.

*except cartesian coordinates are kinda handy

fake edit- my gripe is not with L'Hopital's rule itself; it's a handy result. Instead it's with the style of maths teaching that inevitably reduces down to writing some rules on your page of notes and then plugging things into them during your exam.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1878 on: 31 Mar 2009, 10:37 »

PROTIP: Wielded properly, an SM57 connected to a microphone cable makes an excellent mace!

Oh, so I guess it's good for something then.

Also, L'Hopital is using calculus to do precalculus things, so he won't have covered that yet.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1879 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:01 »

I want to go to Italy and hang out with Paul. No fair!

Dear Blog Thread,

The river has crested and is slowly sinking back to normal size (very slowly) but now we are in the middle of a blizzard.

WTF.
Liz is touching me.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1880 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:27 »

You guys have some pretty goddamned terrible weather.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1881 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:37 »

Yeah this pretty much solidifies my resolve that I never really want to live in the midwest
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1882 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:27 »

i accidentally dropped this delicious cookie that i was eating on the floor and spent the last three minutes or so crawling around under my desk looking for the rest of this cookie so that i could finish eating it, i finally found it and ate it. it wasn't under after all that happened that i fully realized what had just happened and i sat under my desk for a little while and thought about it and decided this probably says some pretty gross things about me as a person.

recently i was driving home really late after finishing an issue of the paper and i was hungry so i bought a mcdonald's snack wrap and then i turned on the radio to dadrock 94.5 fm and it was playing murray head's "one night in bangkok" so with a mouth full of chipotle bbq wrap i shouted "THIS IS MY JAM" and i turned it all the way up and then i got stopped at a red light and just realized what my life had come to
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1883 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:28 »

i guess it wasn't a mac wrap at least
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1884 on: 31 Mar 2009, 13:02 »

guys, fuck solids of rotation. Oh, and Euler's method. Actually, fuck AP Calc. My goddamn teacher's tests are fucking ridiculous, and it's probably dropping my GPA by at least .5, maybe even a whole point. Worst part? I will probably get at least a 4 on the AP test, possibly a 5.

sincerely,
Not getting scholarship money just because of his calculus grade.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1885 on: 31 Mar 2009, 13:10 »

You guys have some pretty goddamned terrible weather.

It is nice May-September. The rest of the year pretty much makes me want to kill myself, though.
Liz is touching me.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1886 on: 31 Mar 2009, 14:04 »

In view of the discussion in the relationships thread I briefly misunderstood your use of the term May-September and your sentence made no sense at all.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #1887 on: 31 Mar 2009, 15:06 »

Man Shoggoth, Euler's Rule was the only thing out of Calc that ever made any sense to me. This is your crazy curve/shape/thingy. Now do just this portion that is so tiny that it looks like a straight line. Step-by-step like a good little adding machine.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1888 on: 31 Mar 2009, 15:17 »

It's not that I don't get the material, I understand it all pretty well. Most of it's pretty straightforward, it just takes too much goddamn time to do (our tests are timed pretty strictly). Oh, and I don't know all the trig double angle or square identities. But usually those aren't problems, it's just our teachers tests are so fucking hard I just run out of time. And then sometimes there are pop quizzes on material I don't fully understand yet.

anyway, despite calculus, life is pretty nice right now.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #1889 on: 31 Mar 2009, 15:29 »

Today I went out and bought 3 pairs of shoes for £13. A pair of white flats, a pair of really, really cute black and charcoal heels, and a pair of purple chucks. Unfortunately, I apparently accidentally bought two left ones, one in a size 4 and one in a size 5. Taking them back on Saturday.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2009, 04:03 by Gemmwah »
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1890 on: 31 Mar 2009, 16:21 »

It's kind of funny to imagine that you got those because someone with two differently sized right feet stole them.

I am really freaking hungry. Talking to a boy about food also doesn't help. At least he's cute.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1891 on: 31 Mar 2009, 16:52 »

so this gross girl who eats dirty cookies off of her floor just got a 100% on her final research paper for this one class and i am pretty sure it's actually the worst paper i've ever written in my life

(it was the one on strippers)

really, if this doesn't demonstrate that grades don't say anything about actual intelligence, i don't know what does

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1892 on: 31 Mar 2009, 18:32 »

Tania, o/ for the grade, even if you thought the paper sucked.

Today I got woken up by my grandma to sing happy birthday, and I got $20 from my other grandma and $20 from my mom plus a card saying she will pay for my next tattoo (FUCK YEAH). A few days ago I got a tutu for my birthday. awesome! My birthday is actually tomorrow, to my singing grandma's chagrin (she had the right date, and actually argued with me that today was the first when in fact it is the 31st)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1893 on: 31 Mar 2009, 18:39 »

They don't call you Ultimate Dicksucker for nothing.

my policy professor's a lady, so actually, they kind of do.

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #1894 on: 31 Mar 2009, 18:54 »

I wish I had someone to make important life-altering decisions for me!
radical dame

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1895 on: 31 Mar 2009, 19:20 »

no, don't

Allybee

« Reply #1896 on: 31 Mar 2009, 19:52 »

cathy help me
radical dame

Allybee

« Reply #1897 on: 31 Mar 2009, 19:55 »

already on that
radical dame

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1898 on: 31 Mar 2009, 19:56 »

You should go to school in Texas. And wear a plaid shirt and ten-gallon hat.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1899 on: 31 Mar 2009, 20:26 »

No, James. You're fired.

Go to Northwestern. It's in Chicago and close enough so I can hang out with you again some time.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 90   Go Up