THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 19:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 90   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.  (Read 773777 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.
« Reply #2100 on: 08 Apr 2009, 17:07 »

Boobs are superior.

Also, The Iron Giant.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #2101 on: 08 Apr 2009, 17:10 »

Blog Thread,

I think I have a problem typing the word "cut" as of recent. For some reason, my mind or my fingers see fit to put an extra "n" before the "t". It happened just now and it happened a few months ago too.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #2102 on: 08 Apr 2009, 17:15 »

Boobs are superior.

Also, The Iron Giant.

Fair enough
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #2103 on: 08 Apr 2009, 17:40 »

Trip report for yesterday: took two tabs of acid, played with a yo yo, kissed a pretty girl, good day.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2104 on: 08 Apr 2009, 18:54 »

Ward Churchill might be reinstated at CU.

One of several reasons I'm glad I didn't go to CU.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2105 on: 08 Apr 2009, 19:14 »

That's what he got ousted for, and CU was (rightfully) rebuked by the courts for it.

As the article goes into around the second page, Churchill got tenure despite repeatedly committing offences against scholarship that would get any of his students summarily expelled. Fabricating sources by citing articles he ghostwrote himself, misrepresenting sources, outright plagiarism, all that. (a Denver Post article defending Churchill called him a "minor plagiarist", as if that meant something) He ought to have been fired for all of that, but CU is dumb and chose an inappropriate avenue. And so a fraud with no degree or real expertise in his field will once again be the head of his department at a major university.

The ironic thing is that the controversial article he wrote spurred the investigation that uncovered his actual crimes against academia.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2009, 19:19 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #2106 on: 08 Apr 2009, 21:08 »

My mind. Is. Blown.

Fucking.

Also, I am inspired. I want to make something.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2107 on: 08 Apr 2009, 21:13 »

SCHOOL SUCKS thread:

One paper down, 2 and a half more plus a mock trial and 3 programming assignments and finals to go!

Seriously, I'm so fucking pumped at getting this shit done.  I must have a magic pen or something, because I have not gotten a single (not including assignments that I'm allowed to drop due to extraneous circumstances) grade lower than a C for the first time since the 4th grade.  I've gotten two perfect tests and several A- papers.  I am going to celebrate by having a really awesome day tomorrow.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2108 on: 09 Apr 2009, 00:52 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Gilead

« Reply #2109 on: 09 Apr 2009, 02:33 »

Trying to raise money to leave australia and work on art and figure out how to get a work permit for canada is stressing me out so much it's making me feel physically ill, woo!

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #2110 on: 09 Apr 2009, 03:14 »

I can't find my mechanical pencil. This is unnerving.

Now, I am sure a lot of you would be going "what? It's just a pencil, surely you can use different one you have in the house?" and I guess you would be right, but I still would prefer to have my pacer back. See, I 'borrowed' it from my mother (who 'borrowed' it from one of her workmates) a few years ago and it is the only piece of stationery that I haven't lost over the years. All the other pens and pencils I have had eventually got left on desks or fall out of pockets/bags, or 'borrowed' by other people, or just generally die. I am comfortable with this pacer, I have used it for years and know how it works. I have only seen ones that are the same in my uni shop down in Canberra. I bought one almost straight away, but lost it in the supermarket - it fell out of the shopping trolley. So this pacer has kind of become my lucky pencil. Not being able to find it means I essentially don't have any other pencils that I like because this pacer has made sure I am a one-pencil lady.

I hope I can find it, I want to do some writing or drawing.

Note: halfway through writing this I found it, and the urge to do something arty has kinda left me. Damn pacer
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2111 on: 09 Apr 2009, 04:29 »

i get tomorrow off of work, so today is like friday! that means I get 3 days of bbq and playing basketball. 
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2112 on: 09 Apr 2009, 05:04 »

Boobs are superior.

Also, The Iron Giant.

I was at the world premier of that movie. FACT.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #2113 on: 09 Apr 2009, 06:28 »

Awhhhh dammit, I wish I could have been at that. Iron Giants one of my favorite movies.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2114 on: 09 Apr 2009, 06:39 »

I am excited for the prospect of having enough money to buy Kung Fu training stuff and a new uniform and all that. The intial investment for a new shirt and some brass rings is gonna be $300. Also, I'm gonna get more tattoos when I have extra money. But that's for another thread.

Guys, I am totally excited that I will not be working nights anymore in like a month. And I will also be in control of my own income and my own schedule.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2115 on: 09 Apr 2009, 06:44 »

So it's the easter holidays and I'm... in college. I worked 8.30-12.30 this morning and am doing 5.30-9.30 so I figured, might as well go to college and get some revision done. It feels really weird being in the office on my own, I keep expecting someone to walk in through the door and make some noise but it's eerily quiet. I think I might relocate to the library, where at least there will be the librarian to keep me company.

These five hours of free time seemed less like a yawning abyss when they were only theoretical.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Josefbugman

« Reply #2116 on: 09 Apr 2009, 07:01 »

If you have nothing to do type two words into google, follow the link at the time will just dissappear "Tv tropes".

Trust me, if there is a better way to fill an afternoon (other than a debate or riotous sex) I have not found it.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #2117 on: 09 Apr 2009, 08:58 »

Sadly, the blog thread would be fairly uninteresting if everybody just wrote "Today, I checked out tvtropes for 10 hours". That has happened to me a few more times than it should.

:|
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Josefbugman

« Reply #2118 on: 09 Apr 2009, 09:26 »

I dunno, if we were all reading different things we would end up reaching pop culture nirvana.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #2119 on: 09 Apr 2009, 10:51 »

Oh Jens.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Reed

« Reply #2120 on: 09 Apr 2009, 11:33 »

Blog thread! I have bad news followd by good news!

So we've been waiting for a while on a grant application we sent out to the DoE (dept of energy). Today my advisor got word from them that they felt our research was not really in line with their mission statement. The director said that he would extend our previous grant, but we would be receiving less money because there are some aspects to our research that, if explored further, would warrant a new grant (i.e. applying our research to rhodobacter, or any other photosynthetic a-proteobacteria). So we will be fairly low on money for the next year. However, in order to accomplish this dramatic shift in research my advisor is going to tell the DoE that he needs me on full RA both this summer and next semester! This is incredibly exciting because it means that I don't have to worry about funding and I don't have to teach any more! I will have a whole shit ton of work to do over the next year, but it's ok because not TAing makes it completely worth it.

Oh, and I just heard that I was one of only 3 'upgrades' to be admitted into the PhD program for next year!
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2121 on: 09 Apr 2009, 11:48 »

I met a girl.

I think I may have met a girl.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #2122 on: 09 Apr 2009, 14:07 »

Like, for real?

Jens: how bout having a talk with your mom about dope? That would fun for sure, right?

Dear bløg: my life has been reduced to trying to get jobs and playing TF2. TF2, man. I can stop, sure, if I want to.

Hopefully social life will not suffer too much.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2123 on: 09 Apr 2009, 14:28 »

sometimes i forget that not everyone has hippy parents.

my "the drug talk" consisted of my mom walking by while me and some friends were smoking pot and she was all "is that good pot or bad pot? i have bad pot" and then she took a hit and went about her business.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #2124 on: 09 Apr 2009, 14:41 »

My drug talk consisted of me singing the Rasta version of "I Believe I can 'Fly'", and my mother saying "... Eh."
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2125 on: 09 Apr 2009, 14:49 »

My drug talk was "If you ever touch anything, I will use your intestines to fertilize my petunias" and that was from both of my parents. Didn't really stop me from becoming a small-time pothead.

Today I sang "Human" by the Killers, which is probably my least favorite single of theirs. It's something we're stuck singing though. At least it's in my range.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I won my battle last night. I guess that's cool, but I think the professors are full of shit, because I have since seen my performance and it was SHIT AWFUL.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2009, 15:34 by Patrick »
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2126 on: 09 Apr 2009, 14:56 »

I provide the booze and soften the edges for my younger siblings, is there such a thing as a "Sister of the Year" award and do I win it?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2127 on: 09 Apr 2009, 15:10 »

I never really had a drug or booze talk, I guess my parents just trusted that I wouldn't do anything *too* stupid.

At any rate, I'm sure they both realize I drink and smoke weed occasionally, and don't really care.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2128 on: 09 Apr 2009, 15:24 »

Spring Break.

I'm going to be bored. Ugh. I'm going to the zoo tomorrow. That's good.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2129 on: 09 Apr 2009, 15:59 »

Hi Blog Thread.

So lately I've been busier than a jesus with six legs, mainly because I have started an internship with a science magazine and am still going to uni at night.

The internship is going pretty well. In my first week I have written an article on chimpanzee prostitution, and also another article on schizophrenia and optical illusions which I managed to get a Philip K. Dick reference into. Also our office has a dog in it.

On the downside, working here has exposed me to the harsh reality that magazines make not very much money whatsoever (even less than I thought) and they don't actually have any writers on staff any more, it's all sent out to freelancers.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #2130 on: 09 Apr 2009, 16:04 »

Yeah, I never got the drink or drugs talk. I guess I got the story of how my mum smoked pot and threw up in a guy's mercedes, "so yeah, don't smoke pot". Plus, the alcoholic father kinda summed up the drink talk without anything needing to be said. But I think my parents (or at least Mum) could see my head is screwed on pretty well and that I am not the kind of person who wants to drink until I vomit. Also, I am a little scared of doing drugs, so at the moment I am ok with not doing any. But tell Mum I am going to get a tattoo and she flips out and tells me I am going to DIE. Parents are strange.

Also! It is Good Friday, so Mum has gone to go visit her sister over Easter and I have been enlisted to look after the (my) cat at her place. Five glorious days of staying in a clean house without anyone to annoy me (apart from ben when he gets here, but that is ok) when I am just going about my business. Plus I get to see my kitty again! woooooo!
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2131 on: 09 Apr 2009, 16:05 »

I never got A Talk, but I got the Disappointed Look after I went out with my friends for my 21st. I wasn't even drunk. I just do not talk to my mother about alcohol ever.

I met a girl.

I think I may have met a girl.

Yay!

Dear blog thread, I started my shift at work today and 11 and lo and behold when I was walking to the shop two of my friends were headed towards me to visit me! They'd visited the contemporary art center with their class that morning and wanted to say hello before they left downtown. So that made a great start to my day. Next we got a delivery. The delivery wasn't important, but man oh man, there was bubble wrap inside. I love bubble wrap. So that was awesome. And the sun was shining and nobody pissed me off at work and it's days like this that make me happy. Spring is here and it is awesome. Also, I'm having lunch with A Boy tomorrow (same boy as last time) and that's always a good thing to look forward to.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2132 on: 09 Apr 2009, 16:24 »

"what? It's just a pencil, surely you can use different one you have in the house?"
I know how you feel. I have to have my Papermate Clearpoint or I just dont' feel right. It is in my front right pocket every day.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #2133 on: 09 Apr 2009, 16:59 »

But tell Mum I am going to get a tattoo and she flips out and tells me I am going to DIE.

this happened to me when i told my mom i was cutting dairy products out of my diet. parents are weird.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #2134 on: 09 Apr 2009, 17:34 »

Jeans this is how you have that talk:
mother: we need to talk about you're drinking
you: ok, alright I wont drink any more, I just stick to the heroine
mother:?!?!?!?
you: I'm kidding, see it could be worse. now I'm off to a party
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #2135 on: 09 Apr 2009, 17:50 »

My drug talk with my mom consisted of:

Moms: I need to buy raw milk but it is $$$
Me: because I am pretty sure it is illegal in the states.
Moms: no its not.
Me: yes it is. That's why is so expensive.
Me: I buy pot. And it is $$$.
Me: because it is illegal.
Me: the higher the risk the higher the price

The alcohol talk went like this:
Me: "everyday I get more and more misanthropic. ...and alcoholic."
Moms: "I hope you don't turn 21 while still living in that house. There are so many bars right down the street."

None of those bars ever card, though.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Reed

« Reply #2136 on: 09 Apr 2009, 18:03 »

Yeah, my parents were hippies, so the drug talk went something like this:

Parents: Here are a bunch of stories of us doing stupid shit while high (including my dad getting dragged into a knife fight with drug dealers during a concert!)
Me: Wow, you guys have had pretty interesting lives
Parents: Yeah, you might want to avoid some of the stupid things we've done, but otherwise...have fun and tell us your stories once you have them!
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #2137 on: 09 Apr 2009, 18:06 »

I never got an alcohol talk. My father was the bulkhandling manager for J.Wray and Nephew, and I've been drinking since I was about 7.

I remember at cub scout camp when my father and the other adults were drinking Rum Cream and I walked up and took a sip of his. I was 8.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #2138 on: 09 Apr 2009, 18:20 »

The girl I was seeing I'm not seeing anymore, the girl I was gonna start seeing suddenly severed all communication, the oil pan on my car is cracked so I can't get up to denver to see Diplo tonight, and I still don't have a fucking job.

Fuck.

My.

Life.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2139 on: 09 Apr 2009, 19:09 »

Man I get alcohol talks every week. I ignore them.

Yesterday, that is, 12 hours ago, we (my boss and several people whom I work with, also a few regulars of that pub) went to visit the brewery which delivers our beer. I'm still drunk. It was awesome. Back at the pub (that was about 3 hours ago) I made out with that girl woman again, very unexpectedly, but none the less awesome. It's a shame that I have to be at home (where I am right now) in about 5 hours, to go on a holiday trip with some relatives of mine. Would rather have gone home with her (again)

Well shit fuck. What is happening in my life? I don't udnerstand it!

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #2140 on: 09 Apr 2009, 19:21 »

I got an alcohol talk when I was 15; it was a few years too late.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #2141 on: 09 Apr 2009, 19:38 »

I had the alcohol talk with my mum a head full of MDMA so I don't remember much but I told her I loved her and appreciated her looking out for me
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #2142 on: 09 Apr 2009, 21:15 »

TODAY WAS AWESOME

I should elaborate.  I got paid to dick around on the internet all day today, then I got to hang out with one of my awesomest friends.  She gave me a Chimay gift set, so now I have a chalice to drink my beer out of, and we watched a couple hilarious movies and ordered chinese and just in general had a really good time.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2009, 21:28 by Dimmukane »
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2143 on: 09 Apr 2009, 21:52 »

She said "Is it OK if I think of you while you're gone?"

dang

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2144 on: 09 Apr 2009, 22:04 »

She gave me a Chimay gift set, so now I have a chalice to drink my beer out of

This is my new standard for best possible friend.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2145 on: 10 Apr 2009, 00:38 »

I am so close to fucking a really hot girl that I work with. It wouldn't even be having sex. It would be fucking, there is only physical attraction between us. There are actual sparks that arc and leap when we stand too close, that is how attracted we are to each other.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2146 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:46 »

Today, I hang out with kids at the international school.

Since I can't think of anything else I am doing beyond my day-to-day, I will give you a translation: Sot, do të vizitoj më djallit dhe vajzët në shkoll nderkombetar. SEE GUYS THIS IS WHY I HAVE SO MANY HEADACHES
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Josefbugman

« Reply #2147 on: 10 Apr 2009, 03:11 »

My drunk talk went something like:
"we know you can get drunk, but please don't make us buy drinks for your friends, it makes us uncomfortable"

The drug talk went:
"Really its up to you, your smart and you know the dangers".

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #2148 on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:17 »

From a very young age I've alwasy known I wouldn't drink so I never really needed the drinking talk. but then my mum came and picked me up from a party at a friends place where a few people were more than a tad drunk and my mum went on and on about it, saying how if I had got drunk at that party, or if she was the drunk guys mother she would have had a go at the parents of the host. She really would not shut up - left me very grateful that it was a non-issue.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2149 on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:18 »

but man oh man, there was bubble wrap inside. I love bubble wrap. So that was awesome.

I have some serious bubble wrap overload after getting a guitar in the mail. Can I maybe pay you in bubble wrap for doing my album art?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 90   Go Up