THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 May 2024, 14:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 90   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.  (Read 769655 times)

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.
« Reply #3350 on: 13 May 2009, 11:01 »

Today I realised, I joined this forum when I was 16. I'm now 20. You guys must be ancient.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3351 on: 13 May 2009, 13:17 »

Blaggy

I think I'm done with yardwork for awhile as it hurts to move, and I broke the shovel and the lawnmower.

I'm ultra productive, blaggy baby.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #3352 on: 13 May 2009, 14:38 »

Dear Blog Thread,

I'm kind of anxious about what will happen next school year. I signed up for the advanced science program, but I may not be able to get in because of my math marks. First, it's the first year in my life I'm failling math. Second, It would be the first time that I'm not in the advanced science program. I've always had the highest marks in Science, Math, French, English, and all my classes (except Art...). This is kind of frustrating since the school. Recently, my marks in Math got higher. (Proof of that: First trimester: 59% Second Trimester: 53% Last Trimester: 52% (I was supposed to have 78%, but a "technicality" (the Comission Scolaire being stupid assholes) lessened my mark) At my most recent exam, I got a 100%).

Love,

Anthony
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3353 on: 13 May 2009, 15:15 »

dude stop being so rad it's really intimidating

I got accepted into a creative writing course today! I'm so excited.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3354 on: 13 May 2009, 15:45 »

I just signed the release form to allow the British Library to put on line some recordings of me playing that harpsichord made at the time that photo was taken  - when they get around to it (access will be limited to those with academic logins that have access rights enabled for the British Library).

it's really intimidating

You don't necessarily know things will turn out to be rad when you're doing them - you could even end up being surprised yourself, why not?

I got accepted into a creative writing course today! I'm so excited.

Congratulations!
« Last Edit: 13 May 2009, 15:51 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #3355 on: 13 May 2009, 15:48 »

Today was my AP English Language test (which wasn't bad! pretty fun, actually. except for the part where i got tired and ran out of things to write). I have English seventh period, the last period of the day, and since the rest of his AP classes were out taking the test, my teacher let us play Pictionary for the whole period (which we've done before anyway).  My English teacher is this rad, cynical, awkward fellow with a great sense of humor so his Pictionary clues are always a fun challenge.

It was nearing the end of the day and I was up for the last turn for my team.  I picked one of the few remaining clues and flipped it over to find my first and last name written on it. I nearly died.

Still, my team was able to guess ME in seven seconds, so victory! Although we lost. But whatever. It was an amazing moment and probably one of my favorites of this school year.
it's time to stop posting

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #3356 on: 13 May 2009, 16:10 »

I just signed the release form to allow the British Library to put on line some recordings of me playing that harpsichord made at the time that photo was taken  - when they get around to it (access will be limited to those with academic logins that have access rights enabled for the British Library).

That's really wicked! Someone at a British university better step their game up and be on the watch for these.

Incidentally, I received a related e-mail today and though I already shared it with Meebo I'm excited enough that I'm going to post it here.

Hello -

I am mailing you on behalf of the Audio-Visual Acquisitions department of Library and Archives Canada (formerly the National Library of Canada). We would very much like to have a copy of These Estates' "I Can't Wait" CD for the national collection. Under the law of Legal Deposit, all publishers of publicly distributed or commercially sold Canadian-content books, sound and video-recordings and other media in Canada must submit copies to the National Library. Once the recording is at the Library, it will be catalogued and preserved for future generations, and you will receive a receipt for your submission.

If possible, please e-mail me a mailing address (postal mail) for the group so that we may send you some information regarding the acquisitions process.

Thank you very much,
Daniel F______
Dépôt légal - Audio-visuel / Legal Deposit - Audio-Visual
Bibliothèque et Archives Canada / Library and Archives Canada
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/legal-deposit

I didn't realize I was legally mandated to do this. Whoever tipped the government off that I have an album, thanks, I guess.

How did everyone's APs go? They're pretty much done now, aren't they? (Except for Art, which you don't find out about til later.)

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3357 on: 13 May 2009, 16:13 »

Hi guys.

I fucked my back up again.

I am so not happy right now.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

nobo

« Reply #3358 on: 13 May 2009, 16:54 »

high five Gem, that makes two of us.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3359 on: 13 May 2009, 17:42 »

if it makes you guys feel any better i may have given myself brain damage so that's neat i guess so.

i was drunk i and i was was like fuck this head and smashed a bottle over it and now four three or four dayss my head been has hurting.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3360 on: 13 May 2009, 18:41 »

:x
« Last Edit: 13 May 2009, 20:35 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3361 on: 13 May 2009, 21:34 »

Guys my knee feels like it has broken glass inside it.

I want to run again :'(
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #3362 on: 13 May 2009, 23:05 »

if it makes you guys feel any better i may have given myself brain damage so that's neat i guess so.

i was drunk i and i was was like fuck this head and smashed a bottle over it and now four three or four dayss my head been has hurting.

uh dude this isn't good

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3363 on: 13 May 2009, 23:11 »

[picture]

I love how the caption says you're playing the harpsichord in "august surroundings", but the lighting manages to make it look like they've stuck the harpsichord up against a brushed concrete wall.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3364 on: 14 May 2009, 01:13 »

Hi blog thread

You know what sucks? Being crazy. Being crazy is a really shitty way to live. I thought I had overcome it! I haven't had any breakdowns in several months, I haven't had to cut myself or scream or cry or run to anyone to calm me down. See, I have a slight problem in that I am extremely paranoid. I read in another thread where Coward said that this guy is behind me and for a few minutes was sitting straight up in my chair terrified to turn around. I just turned on my lights to get rid of dark shadows and shut my window to keep anyone from climbing in, but going near the window was hell because anyone or anything could be out there. I'm really trying hard not to panic right now because I can't have another breakdown and I am trying to write and stay logical but there is something in my window staring at me and I want it to go away i can't even see it but I KNOW IT IS THERE because it is staring at me

I am shaking so hard right now it is hard to type. I'm crying. I'm sobbing. I am terrified. The last time this happened I almost killed myself because I didn't like dealing with all the people and eyes everywhere and I am feeling really stressed out. I want to look at the window but I can't even turn my head. I am so scared to look. I'm trying to be happy. I'm trying to be happy. I don't want to be sad and angry and scared again and I am trying to be happy but it's not working because everything is terrifying when you see it for what it is and I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm frozen stiff. I'm trying not to move. Don't think it'll do me any good because they can still see me and they're still staring at me and I want them to go away because they shouldn't fucking be here anymore.

I want to be happy I want to be happy I am trying to be happy I'm listening to happy music but it all  blurs together and even the happiest notes and chords sound sinister and uplifting voices are demonic and I'm trying not to think this way but its really bad I'd turn off the music but the silence is worse because then I hear them I'll hear them and all they want to say to mea nd I don't want to hear them ever again and I am so scared right now I'm crying I am crying again

Fuck he's behind me again. I swear I can feel him behind me. There's someone underneath my desk about to stab me but I can't check because as soon as I see him he'll kill me there's someone in my closet and under my bed and I know they're not real but that doesn't matter because they'll kill me anyways and I thought I got rid of them when I moved with people and was around people but now it's just me all alone and they've found me and I don't want to be here anymore

editing here

I'm really, really trying insanely hard to stay calm and writing this is helping a lot instead of succumbing to all this. I am terrified to be in my own room but far more scared to leave it. I want to cover up my window so I don't have to look out it and nothing ca lookin or come in but I don't want to go near my window
« Last Edit: 14 May 2009, 01:20 by Zingoleb »

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3365 on: 14 May 2009, 05:05 »

you should see someone about that, seriously.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3366 on: 14 May 2009, 06:32 »

For real.

Also goddamn it blog thread I am sick. As a dog. I keep thinking I'm getting better, but then the drugs wear off and it's hello flu time again.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3367 on: 14 May 2009, 06:37 »

I am on so many drugs for my back it's insane. I am high as a fucking kite.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #3368 on: 14 May 2009, 07:18 »

you should see someone about that, seriously.

Third'd. That's not good at all, please do what Eris said!

LLLLLOOOOONG Blog: Recently, there have been a lot of problems with hard drugs in my town; in a town of less than 5000 people, we have had over 22 different heroin arrests, all people in the 18-21 range. Also, drug use has become extremely prolific, as in kids are seriously starting some heavy shit in junior high. Now, I really don't care what people do recreationally, and in fact I am the only straight edge person I know of that will actively campaign for the legalization of marijuana, but whatever you want to say about drug use being "good" or "bad" or "ok" I think we can all agree, a freaking 13 year old kid should not be shooting up.

So anyway, it's a huge problem right now, and all the community leaders are wringing their hands over 'What could possibly be making our children go astray?!!?" and they've all decided it must be The Devil™. So they gathered some money and put it towards erecting a bunch of billboards near the different school buildings in the county. What these billboards say is supposed to be a message from Jesus. They say things like "Satan, I'm coming for you! Stay away from our children!" and "Satan, I command you to take your drugs out of our town."

Meanwhile, there is basically nothing whatsoever for the kids to actually do. The skaters have no where to go, and every time they try to skate in town they get harrassed and fined by the local cops. Someone tried to present an idea to the city council that maybe we could open up a skatepark so they could have somewhere to skate and not destroy anyone's property, and that got shut down. Because it would cost too much. There's no youth center, no basketball courts (well, there are but it's property of the college which is now out of session, so everything is locked up, and if you try to play a game there, you'll get arrested for trespassing), there's a mall, but almost every store in it is out of business...so when I say that there is nothing to do in this town, I mean there is NOTHING. But our leaders are doing something about it - they put up billboards, right!

So over the past few weeks, I have taken over hosting duties for the open mic nights at a local coffeehouse. I've got a pretty good reputation because of having read at the open mics for roughly three years myself, and I want to try to use that to maybe fight the whole "this town sucks" vibe. But it's kind of a losing battle. Very few people show up, when they do almost no one participates, and most of the time they don't even stay to watch. They use the cafe as a place to drop off their stuff, then go outside and smoke, and throw their trash on the sidewalk in front of the store. The owner of the cafe is getting frustrated and has threatened to shut down the open mic night until next fall when the college students come back. I'm getting frustrated because A: no one in any kind of authority position in my town seems to give a shit about anything except for keeping up their Mayberry image. B: outside of myself and two friends who are helping me, no one is doing anything to change this situation, and it feels like what we're doing isn't anything at all. C: the kids bitch about how there's nothing to do, but when someone takes it upon themselves to try to get something started, they basically just shit all over it.

I have no intention of giving up, but I am getting damn exhausted.

TL;DR edition: BLUUAAGAGHHHHHAHAAAAHHHHUUUGGGHHH!!!!!

Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3369 on: 14 May 2009, 08:24 »

That picture of you reading poetry was fuckin' badass.
Keep truckin'.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

benji

« Reply #3370 on: 14 May 2009, 08:59 »

Will, even if no one in your town seems to appreciate it, I think you're doing a great thing by at least trying to help. Creating a safe place for kids to hang out that they actually want to hang out at can be hard, but it really is the best way to keep them out of trouble. Certainly better then erecting talismans against the devil.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #3371 on: 14 May 2009, 09:03 »

Yeah, Will you are a really cool dude trying to to do a big good thing and if your town is the slightest bit worth the effort you put into it you will eventually be vindicated.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3372 on: 14 May 2009, 09:06 »

Sol Invictus on a pogo stick.

You guys really do have it bad. I mean good grief, my town has a lot of pubs we can go to and a least a lot of cities nearby and you can always go to peoples houses, and the park. Yikes this makes me so freakin' glad I don't live in suburban America. All I can wish is the best of luck to you and have you tried contacting the local authority to demand that they do something?

Also, today I am mostly 1 Week away from my first exam, its on Africa since 1900, and the revision is going so-so, hopefully I am getting it all to go in, but you never really know till the day.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3373 on: 14 May 2009, 09:09 »

You should totally vigilante that shit up, Will.  Sneak a skate park into town or something.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3374 on: 14 May 2009, 09:43 »

build some boxes and put up rails in the middle of a busy street, that'll show em.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3375 on: 14 May 2009, 12:02 »

Will, I think you are a cool enough dude that you could get away with invading public places, reading a poem, and then just walking away. Think of it as spontaneous advertising. Maybe people will see this crazy guy and think he's cool and it will attract a crowd. The downside is people will think you're batshit crazy. Maybe your town is ready, maybe it isn't.

Speaking of cities, I have decided I kind of like my city. It's possibly high as a kite, but I like it. We have our very own superhero, horses that use parking meters as lollipops (hooray for mounted police), and crazy people who will walk up and down the street roundhousing lamp posts, chasing people away from their garbage, or skipping along and playing the kazoo. I know ever city has it's quirks, but this place will always have a special place in my heart. Even though most of the time it's boring and I would at one point like to move, it's still my hometown.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #3376 on: 14 May 2009, 12:13 »

Great things

What your doing sounds pretty awesome. Keep up the good work.

Oh hey blog thread

I had another excellent day today.

I got my new tattoo and it looks ace. It also turns out that my tattoo artist is a pretty cool guy. I noticed he had a longboard propped up in the room so we got chatting about longboarding and skateboarding and all that stuff. When my tattoo was done he gave me the longboard to go out and have a shot on the pavement. Those things are so much fucking fun, I really want one now. Luckily he was saying he has a spare deck and trucks which I can buy off him. I might take him up on this, because longboarding to uni would equal win. Tattoo guy also told me about a sort of techno ravey thing that he is organising. There's going to be an insane amount of uv lights, massive soundsystem and as there is a courtyard in the middle there are going to be people with flaming poi and that sort of shenanigans. To top it off you get in cheaper if you dress as a pirate. ARGGHHH

After tattoo I went home but it was so sunny I couldn't stay inside. Got a few people and we were going to go to the botanic gardens but it had just closed when we got there, but that just leaves an adventure for another day. Instead we ended up going for a big wander round parts of Dundee I've never wandered around. I bought some nice cheese on the way back and a nice beer.

Today was excellent.
Get off my land

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3377 on: 14 May 2009, 12:31 »

So I realised today that I missed the two year anniversary of my dad throwing me out. It was on Monday. So, belated reflection I suppose.

It's weird to remember how I was two years ago. I spent most of this week asleep, trying to sleep off a black cloud of depression and not even caring that my exams were about to start. Since then, I've changed my mind about what I want to study in future (thank goodness, I'd have been terrible at advertising), got a job, learnt a lot about tolerance and empathy, made a lot of friends and had experiences I wouldn't have been able to have if I'd stayed where I was. Going to my college where there's a lot more poverty and also a more rural, conservative atmosphere has put things into perspective a little for me; I lived in a fairly affluent area and went to a grammar school with people who thought they were badly off if they couldn't have their own plasma screen TV. And also distance and separation has meant I get on a lot better with my dad. It wasn't an easy time for him either and to give him his due, his temper has improved a lot since he realised how much he stood to lose if he didn't get it together and sort himself out a little.

On balance? I'm glad it happened. I would do it again, although perhaps without quite as much drama and certainly without as little planning. At the same time I'm not sorry to be leaving in five months. It's been a transitory period of my life and it's time to move on.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jinjo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3378 on: 14 May 2009, 12:41 »

So, I'm back from living on a bus and traveling across America with my boyfriend. It was an amazing experience that I would never trade for anything. I'm now living with my parents (who aren't too happy with me). I now plan to go back to school and get my degree. My boyfriend is doing some bus repairs now before he heads off for three more years while I go to school. What a life!

Reed

« Reply #3379 on: 14 May 2009, 12:46 »

On balance? I'm glad it happened. I would do it again, although perhaps without quite as much drama and certainly without as little planning. At the same time I'm not sorry to be leaving in five months. It's been a transitory period of my life and it's time to move on.

I think this is something that few people who haven't had this type of experience understand. I was thrown out by my mom about two years ago as well (luckily I had my own place and I was just visiting her) and really, my life has been so much better because of it. It wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience, but now that I am removed from it I can definitely say that I prefer my current situation. So many people look down on me when they hear that I no longer have a relationship with my mother and it can be incredibly frustrating. Do have the same thing happen to you?
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3380 on: 14 May 2009, 13:03 »

I think mostly people are a bit shocked, because it's honestly not a big deal in my life. I'm not sure how much impact my dad's violence has had in me in terms of sexuality (I'm sure there are people who would say that he "made me gay") but other than that it hasn't been an issue. There's a sort of social stigma about families breaking up and domestic violence and stuff, and rightly so because people shouldn't be allowed to hit each other, but a lot of people seem to expect me to go around moping and sighing over my tragic life and it just wasn't like that. I haven't even lost my dad through it because we've mended bridges and moved on. I'll never live with him again, even for a few months, but I visit him sometimes. Nothing's as black and white and it sounds on paper. I think maybe it forces you to grow up a bit when you have that kind of a severing from the life you're used to, especially if you have to fend for yourself for a while. In your case are you not in touch with your mum at all any more?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Reed

« Reply #3381 on: 14 May 2009, 13:24 »

No, I'm not. My mom's abuse has always been emotional, I was really fucked up during high school because I had absolutely no self worth and a host of other problems. Even once I moved away for college she still had an uncanny ability to completely tear me down from 800 miles away. Finally a couple of years ago I was visiting her, we got in a huge fight and she kicked me out. I'm actually really glad that she did because I have improved so much since then. The only attempts that she has made to reach out to me have been along the lines of "I know you were upset, and were only saying those things to hurts me, so if you apologize I might let you back into my life", when that fight was actually me getting a lot of things that I had repressed my entire life off my chest. I know that even though my family says I need to make things better things will just go back to how they have always been, and I really just can't take it any more.
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3382 on: 14 May 2009, 13:44 »

hey, i think my brain is fine guys! i think i was just malnurished or something since i sometimes forget to eat regularly, so i ate four sandwiches last night to compensate, and i am feeling much better now.

edit: wow, i really messed up that last post worse than i thought.  :|
« Last Edit: 14 May 2009, 13:47 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #3383 on: 14 May 2009, 13:57 »

It's looking increasingly like my landscaping job isn't going to work out this summer.

I might have to go back to working in fast food.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3384 on: 14 May 2009, 14:06 »

I'm really, really sorry for unburdening all that on you guys but I was very, very close to having another psychotic breakdown last night and barely managed to stay sane

@ Eris - I went to a therapist about it for a few months, but she was seriously pissing me off. She would constantly try and change the subject when I would mention hearing or seeing things or when I would talk about my feelings of transsexuality, and she was very uncomfortable with it all and was, in return, making me uncomfortable. Then I lost my insurance when I turned 18 and haven't been able to afford going to anyone anymore.

@ Will - This sounds like where I am living. Yours sounds worse, but I know that I have had to deal with people snorting coke in school bathrooms and going around town and school drunk and stoned out of their gourds.  We have an open mic night that is sometimes small but it needs to be promoted more! Where there is such misery and boredom and oppression, there will be artists, I have no doubts about it. Those are the people that need to be reached and brought to show their works, show their songs and poetry. Sometimes our open mic only consists of three people, sometimes over a hundred. It just takes time.

What also really helps an open mic, I've noticed, is when a band is playing. People are far more likely to come see a band than see people reading poetry (no offense! I really love poetry myself, but this is true!)

@ Barnymoo - I understand exactly where you're coming from. My mother threw me out screaming and swearing at me, and I had to end up going back to my father (whose violent tendencies I was trying to get away from). But it's not really this OMG MY LIFE IS ROOINED sort of thing, it's just how it goes.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3385 on: 14 May 2009, 15:29 »

Tomorrow I have two exams which both might be a lot harder than I expected after having looked at the past exam papers. This isn't so good.
Saturday I have another exam which I knew was going to be hard.

My two days of death starts now.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #3386 on: 14 May 2009, 17:00 »

I'm really, really sorry for unburdening all that on you guys but I was very, very close to having another psychotic breakdown last night and barely managed to stay sane
Speaking for myself only, don't worry about it...that's kinda the point of this thread, and besides, people here more or less tend to like each other!

This sounds like where I am living. Yours sounds worse, but I know that I have had to deal with people snorting coke in school bathrooms and going around town and school drunk and stoned out of their gourds.  We have an open mic night that is sometimes small but it needs to be promoted more! Where there is such misery and boredom and oppression, there will be artists, I have no doubts about it. Those are the people that need to be reached and brought to show their works, show their songs and poetry. Sometimes our open mic only consists of three people, sometimes over a hundred. It just takes time.

What also really helps an open mic, I've noticed, is when a band is playing. People are far more likely to come see a band than see people reading poetry (no offense! I really love poetry myself, but this is true!)

I do the poetry thing because it's where my skill is at. Other people do the music thing, and I'm trying to use my connections in the music world to try and get some feature performers. It's tough, because the "budget" I'm working with is basically what I can afford out of my wallet at the time, so at best I can maybe buy a cup of coffee for the performers...but I'm getting there.

Overall, I feel really good about what we're doing. We've had some of those great, 100-people-in-a-room nights, and the nights where it's just the three of us. I need to promote our nights more, for sure.

Just out of curiousity, Zingo, whereabouts are you from?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Zingoleb

« Reply #3387 on: 14 May 2009, 17:24 »

Well, I'm still horrendously embarrassed to have my secrets revealed in such an obvious manner.

I am in Western New York. For about half the year it's hellishly cold, the rest of the year it is nice. Spring is here, a spring is here, life is skittles and life is beer...

We don't actually give the performers much of anything to come by. It's just a forum to show off their talents, you know? Sometimes there is a raffle for a gift certificate (I won twice). The gift certificate is actually for the coffee shop itself, which in turns brings them back later. Getting a local band to play is generally really good because they're generally not looking to play for money as much just be able to play for people somewhere, live. Three bands have currently played where I'm at - Shotgun Willie, Perfect Chaos, and some forgettable emo band. Sure, they're not a great band, but it's just fun to have someone play sometimes.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3388 on: 14 May 2009, 17:56 »

My band used to play at the local youth cafe when I was a kid. It was always pretty great to have somewhere to play. Actually, now that I think back on it again, that youth cafe was fucking great. Basically anyone who wanted a job could volunteer there for a bit, and they'd get taught how to use an espresso machine, make food, use the till, all that kind of stuff, and then they'd get a reference so they could go and get a paid job elsewhere. A fair few people I knew got jobs that way.

They had a no drugs and alcohol policy as well, which did result in us getting kicked out a few times for being fucked up.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3389 on: 14 May 2009, 18:47 »

Ok, a little story for you all.

My dog, Stoney, is old. 13 and a few months. As you might guess, she is not as sprightly as she used to be, what with being deaf and blind and arthritic. In fact, she basically sleeps all day except when she is awake and bumping into things. We've taken to keeping her shut in the backyard because she will just wander out onto the road otherwise. It's gotten to the point where I tell her to just go to sleep and not wake up, even though she can't hear me (and ultimately can't understand what I am saying anyway).

A few days ago my dad came up to me and said he couldn't find her. Somehow (read: dad left the shed door open) she had gotten out and wandered off. I wasn't too worried, because she can't get that far, but when we couldn't find her in the immediate surroundings, I started to get a bit concerned. Two days later dad picked her up from the RSPCA, where they had given her some anti-inflammatories so her arthritis, and some drops for her eyes. She seems much happier. The vet there said dad should think about Stoney's 'quality of life'.

Today I went to the vet to ask for information about putting Stoney down. I need to make an appointment, and it will cost about $120 if we want to be there. I told dad I was going to do this, and he looked like I had just told him he was going to have to shoot the dog. I came home and whaddaya know, he has stoney out the front, chewing on bones (she has hardly any teeth, btw) looking all happy. Guilt being piled on me by the bucketloads. "Why did you think you should see the vets?" he asked. That just pissed me off. Stoney is old. She sleeps on bare concrete because she doesn't like sleeping inside. It is coming up to winter. Once the anti-inflammatories wear off she's going to hardly be able to move again and he's not going to get her any more. There have been many times where Dad hasn't fed her for days. And I'm the bad guy here?

I don't want to put her down, but I would rather her go that way then slowly deteriorate and find her lying there dead one day. But because she is looking better than usual lately I am a fucking monster who wants to kill my perfectly fine dog. Fuckin' shitballs.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

nobo

« Reply #3390 on: 14 May 2009, 19:40 »

Blog thread,

Exactly one year from now I will be posting in this thread saying "Hey, I'm getting married tomorrow!"

I have 1 year of bachelorhood left, what do you guys think I should accomplish in that time? Keep in mind that me and my fiancee live about 18 hours apart and only see each other every few months.

Also, Eris, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It looks like your options are put the dog down and have your dad resent you for a while, or let your dad come to his senses and have him do it. I would suggest that you wait until the meds wear off and the dog isn't looking so good anymore and offer to go with your dad and do it together.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3391 on: 14 May 2009, 22:14 »

Yo Blogg,

Today I bought a new washing machine with the A$900 the government gave me as part of its economic stimulus plan. I stimulated the economy real good.

In other news, I still haven't heard back from the girl I asked out a week ago. I'm taking it as a bad sign.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3392 on: 14 May 2009, 22:29 »

I just read a story about a man who was seated on the toilet to make use of it and felt "a sharp, knife-like pain" in his penis. When he looked down at his penis, there was a big snake. It was biting him on the penis.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA

"a sharp, knife-like pain" in his penis

AAAAAAAAAAAAA

there was a big snake. It was biting him on the penis.

[size=9]AAAAAAAAAAAAA[/size]
« Last Edit: 14 May 2009, 22:31 by jhocking »

Reed

« Reply #3393 on: 14 May 2009, 22:56 »

Blogosaurus Rex,

So I've been teaching for an entire three days, and I already hate a good chunk of my students. We tell them exactly what they need to do in the beginning of lab, they have the exact protocol in their manual, and yet they still screw up because they don't pay attention at all. The worst ones then get mad at Chris (the other TA) and I when they have to repeat something even though we told them what to do in the first place! The good news is that I have some beautiful reddish pink bacteria growing in lab, and I'm somewhat excited to be starting a project that might actually potentially result in publishable data.

Oh, and I have to get up in 6 hours, but I will probably spend the next 3 online doing absolutely nothing. I'm a winner like that!

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #3394 on: 14 May 2009, 23:52 »

As a science student who has spent innumerable hours in labs, they don't pay attention because it's boring! When you have the lab manual telling you exactly what to do and what to look for and how to interpret the results, and then you have a couple of TAs and a professor spit the information out at you again, it gets really frustrating because it seems like everyone thinks you're an idiot when you're not, and you're hearing the same thing regurgitated four and five times, and like twice was enough we get it already. Where is the sense of exploration and discovery in that? Where is the fun? IT ISN'T THERE. Someone's already done it for you, written about it, and then made some crazy authority figures memorise it like automatons! Creepy and duh!

As someone with ADHD, I struggle with this in every class: no motivation to actually produce results! As a science major, I have been there and done that! As an occasional TA myself, I know what you're feeling. There isn't much room for creativity when they've got the curriculum so structured and tightly wound, but that is exactly what you need.

So if you want people to not be douchebags, try to understand where they're coming from. Try to explain procedures differently than they are described in the manual; this may be as easy as making it into smaller words for their small brains to understand. Do something cool when they are finished with their standard labs, like making elephant toothpaste or some flame tests. The simple stuff is always the easiest and the coolest, especially for the jocks who never paid attention in eighth grade chem. If anything outside the manual is not allowed, well, just try to remember what's going on from their perspective, especially if it's an intro-to-something class, and don't let them get to you, because they don't want to be there any more than you do.

By the way, lithium chloride burns green and potassium burns purple in butane. They are my favourites.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #3395 on: 14 May 2009, 23:58 »

Also guys I really really really hate my job. Why do people insist on punishing me when I try to take pride in what I do? I don't want to be doing it, but I am, and if I don't do it well then it is time and [even minimal] effort wasted. So why do my bosses feel compelled to fuck it up? Why do customers feel the need to shit on me all day? I don't get it!

This bothers me a lot more than it did when I was really really depressed. Well, I probably notice it more and can pick it out of my jumbled vortex of emotions now, but still. Gah.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #3396 on: 15 May 2009, 00:20 »

yo katie on the bright side you're getting paid

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3397 on: 15 May 2009, 00:46 »

Blogosaurus Rex,

So I've been teaching for an entire three days, and I already hate a good chunk of my students. We tell them exactly what they need to do in the beginning of lab, they have the exact protocol in their manual, and yet they still screw up because they don't pay attention at all. The worst ones then get mad at Chris (the other TA) and I when they have to repeat something even though we told them what to do in the first place! The good news is that I have some beautiful reddish pink bacteria growing in lab, and I'm somewhat excited to be starting a project that might actually potentially result in publishable data.

Oh, and I have to get up in 6 hours, but I will probably spend the next 3 online doing absolutely nothing. I'm a winner like that!

Tell them if they get a good mark at the end of the prac you'll teach them how to make amphetamines out of psudoephedrine.

(p.s. One of our students once put LB in the electrophoresis tank. It was labelled LB! The buffer was labelled TBE buffer! Fuck!)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3398 on: 15 May 2009, 01:13 »

Thanks Jens, I am indeed enjoying myself a lot more. She seems to be doing okay, too. Getting out of the house more, for one. She used to use the "I wait for your phone calls" thing as an excuse to stay home and be depressed, and I am pretty awesome but I can't make up for all of her friends.

Dear blag,

You remember how I made out with that chick two days ago when I made her walk me home? Well, yesterday, we met up again, and we made out again, and we did some yappy and basically we are OMG TOGETHER now. I think this is pretty cool. We are both leaving here sometime this summer anyway (she lives in Canuckistan normally, she grew up there), so it is very well understood that it's not a long-term thing.

Bad part: on Wednesday, the first friend I ever made on 'Akademi' got eliminated. She was a real sweetheart and I am really down over it. Kinda puts a little damper on the Good Things mentioned above, but life goes on. My voter ranking is pretty piss-poor lately, so I am probably next. So that's good, I guess. I'll be disappointed if I get eliminated on a night when I don't even sing.

Love,
Me!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3399 on: 15 May 2009, 01:34 »

Dear Bloggadora:

You won't have heard from me before. But that's unimportant. I've got some stuff to get off my chest, and who better?

First things first: the depression hit my town, hard, a few weeks ago, and it's been nigh impossible to get a job. I deposited $4.00 in my checking account today to bring myself out of my -$3.14 debt. I have $0.86 to my name. I don't know how long they wait to liquidate accounts with that little in them. This is really helping my plans to transfer out of my shitty-arse "film school" and into a real university, by the way. The thing is, the school's limited, and I finally found out I hate my major. There's nothing remotely interesting to switch into, so even attempting to apply myself in classes I have no interest in is really difficult. Not to mention all the loans I've taken out and the debt that I'm slowly acquiring.

But all that's nothing new to the average college kid.

Here's why I'm really here:

My best friend got back from school for the summer recently. And it's been lovely. Thing is: a couple days ago, one of her new friends from college over there just died a couple days ago. In her sleep. Her little sister found her in the morning, lying dead under the sheets. There's been no established cause of death yet; they have to do an autopsy. It's sent my friend reeling and it's a head trip for me, 'cos I'd talked to the chick on the phone, and she'd seemed super cool. She was even planning on coming out here to visit sometime.

Needless to say, I've been super stressed and mildly freaked out this whole week. I don't know what I'm going to do. About anything. I'm lost. In the last 48 hours, I've probably gotten around 6 or 7 of sleep. And on Saturday, I have an all-day film shoot for a "movie" I want nothing to be a part of (but is absolutely necessary for my portfolio).

The aren't enough hours in the day. But the weeks are going by slower than ever.

How did I get here?

Luv,
Nick.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 90   Go Up