THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 14 May 2024, 17:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweeping Generalizations About You Based on Your Music Taste  (Read 75084 times)

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist

McCarthy
The Field Mice
The Teardrop Explodes
Hybrid
The Indelicates
Gang Gang Dance
XTC
Aphex Twin
Pivot
The Tenderfoot
Cornelius
Coil
The Servants
Orbital
MIA
Battles
Philip Glass

Anyone? I wish judgement.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

Fishboy

• Balloon animal serial killer

Nobody loves you and you will die old in a nursing home. You drive slower than you should and cry yourself to sleep most nights. You smoke a bit too much weed than you should, and this is detrimental to your relationships. You have been called weird in a good way by some.

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Nobody loves you and you're going to die alone and cold. You drive a beat up car from the 80's and wear cheap, mostly second hand shirts, your jeans may be too tight. You are usually a nice person but can be a bit of a douche at times.

Burn.

That... Was... Entirely exact... Except I don't drive the crappy car anymore (1988 Oldsmobile, I think a Delta).

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

I like how all of these have an arbitrary version of "you're going to die alone" or "you cry yourself to sleep at night".  :laugh:
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Genbot2500

• Emoticontraindication
  • Walking along a mobius strip, feeling lost

Very well, i will play your game

Bell orchestre
Tullycraft
fiery furnaces
Dungen
Animal collective
British sea power
mogwai
El guincho

valley_parade

• coprophage
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Swordfish

• Plantmonster

Frank Zappa
King Crimson   
Opeth   
Finntroll
Death
Yes
Agalloch
Girl Talk
Django Reinhardt
Pink Floyd
Moonsorrow
The Dead Milkmen
Bikini Kill

Swordfish

• Plantmonster

You were raised by a dad who grew up in middle-class white America, that never quite fit in. Having picked up his love for the music he played for you when you were young (Zappa, King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd... Django Reinhardt, possibly?), you were also in a similar position as him, and over time you went your own way, both in terms of both music and mindset.

Not too bad, but I was raised by a single mom.  Hahaha.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Moms can't listen to Zappa?

Swordfish

• Plantmonster

I can't listen to Zappa without a middle-aged guy introducing him to me?

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

It is called the Sweeping Generalizations thread after all.
Get off my land

Fishboy

Frank Zappa
King Crimson   
Opeth   
Finntroll
Death
Yes
Agalloch
Girl Talk
Django Reinhardt
Pink Floyd
Moonsorrow
The Dead Milkmen
Bikini Kill

You are my Ladyfriend? Throw in iron maiden and some other classic metal and your tastes would be identical.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Here is a list of the songs my MP3 player informs me are my Most Popular. Bear in mind that my MP3 player frequently plays entire albums, in order, whilst allegedly on the Random Track setting.

Jolene - Dolly Parton
If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher
Little Green - Joni Mitchell
Blue - Joni Mitchell
The Animals Were Gone - Damien Rice
Believe - Cher
Rootless Tree - Damien Rice
Awkward Annie - Kate Rusby
Just Like Jesse James - Cher
Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Sandy Denny

I wouldn't say those were my favourite songs though.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung

You are going to marry Emilio in a huge, lavish wedding ceremony after which he will swear never to listen to obscure music ever again and will in fact listen to anything you tell him to. He will also take up acoustic guitar and write songs about how much he loves you and how much you mean to him so that you will never forget.

[sorry, Emilio]
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Swordfish

• Plantmonster

You are my Ladyfriend? Throw in iron maiden and some other classic metal and your tastes would be identical.

Saw Maiden live in 2006.  You win!

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!

I want to be stereotyped, too!

1. Death Cab for Cutie
2. Tokyo Police Club
3. British Sea Power
4. The Dresden Dolls
5. People in Planes
6. The Clientele
7. Kaiser Chiefs
8. Coldplay
9. Toad the Wet Sprocket
10. Keane

the_pied_piper

You have no interest in music at all and only listen to what is either played on the radio or deemed cool by pitchfork/nme. You are also the kind of person who goes to gigs and talks all the way through not bothering to pay attention to the bands because you don't care about them and a gig is just a social gathering anyway.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Scrambled Egg Machine

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Of course you realize this means war.

1.Rammstein
2.Dragonforce
3. The Ink Spots
4. System of a Down
5. Flobots
6. Drowning Pool
7. My Chemical Romance
8. Mindless Self Indulgence
9. Kaiser's Orchestra
10. Black Sabbath

Here comes the shitstorm...
Not so sure about these things anymore.

the_pied_piper

You do not understand what it means to sing in tune and would rather that a vocalist screeched out their words. Also, you do not like music with guitars that cannot be played at insane speeds believing those who create riffs and melodies to be far inferior. Furthermore, you have painted your room black in a show of rebellion and go about claiming that cutting yourself is cool although you are too scared to do it.

the_pied_piper

So um, I wanna play!

Nina Simone
!!!
Battles
Micheal Franti
John Lee Hooker
 The Beatles
 Modest Mouse
 Musicals(hairspray, miss saigon, evita!, RENT, grease, My Fair Lady, Spring's awakenining, etc)
 Radiohead
Beach Boys
Gym class Heroes
 Sublime
Benny Benassi
 Of Montreal
 Queen
 Mika
 Cat Power
 Billie Holiday
 Beck

I um, yeah.

You think that you are too cool for the mainstream and so go looking for something that will make you stand out instead. You only pretend to like The Beatles and The Beach Boys to make it seem like you have some musical knowledge and instead listen to mainly tuneless musicals. In the modern era you listen to music that is deemed unsanitary by others [Cat Power, Gym Class Heroes, benny Benassi] and are big on queer power.

Fishboy

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Rachmaninov.
Prokofiev.
Joy Division.
Arvo Part.
New Order.
Godspeed You! Black emperor.
Elliot Smith.
The Velvet Underground.
Jefferson Airplane.
Beethoven.
Mogwai.
R. Strauss.
J. Strauss.
Leonard Cohen.
Bach (mostly his solo works).

the_pied_piper

You don't understand why people use vocals in music as you think they are a waste of time. If you had your way, everybody would communicate through musical scales. You think that you have a varied musical taste but actually only listen to music in which the artists don't have the talent to come up with good song endings and so let them go on forever. You enjoy walking around in elizabethan costume and wear a powdered wig at all times while declaring 'bah' on any arguments which fail to resemble your own.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic

All right, I'll play, for no other reason than sheer morbid entertainment.

1) Genesis
2) Phil Collins
3) Peter Gabriel
4) Absurd Minds
5) Metallica
6) Rush
7) Golden Earring
8) Old Van Halen (1984 and before)
9) Boston Pops Orchestra doing John Williams, John Philip Sousa, Robert Wagner, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture
10) Gregorian Chants
11) Brian Eno
12) The Doors
13) Bryan Adams
14) Frank Klepacki, C&C Soundtrack
15) Soundtrack, Phantom of the Opera
16) Soundtrack/Album, Chess

Whaddya make of THEM apples, sparky?

S
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2009, 09:30 by Mr. Skawronska »
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

the_pied_piper

You make a point of listening to pretentious music to try and make your wankery seem ironic. You possess a large mullet which you fashion into a powdered wig on occasion and the rest of the time swing around as you headbang pathetically. Additionally, you possess little to no musical intellect as you listen only to famous bands and their derivatives and are constantly snotty and uptight around all people, family included.

Weaselon

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Urban Knight

Oooh. Can I play?

I'll go by artist since I don't have last.fm (yet); a representative sample loosely grouped, most listened to recently get a *:

1. Jamiroquai *// Chromeo // Daft Punk * // Kylie Minogue // Pink *

2. Billie Holiday // Etta James // Ella Fitzgerald // Lois Armstrong // Miles Davis  // The Blues Brothers

3. Duffy  // Amy Winehouse // Dido // Shakira // Katy Perry // The Killers * // Ok Go // One Republic *

4. Journey // Asia // Boston // AC/DC // Elton John

Plus I've got heaps of dance / electronica compilation cds. Do your worst guys!

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

ITT, pied pieper shits in your eyes
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Cadeonehalf

This thread is relevant to my interests!

1. Mastodon
2. System of a Down
3. Alice in Chains
4. Daft Punk
5. Megadeth
6. Citizen Cope
7. Coheed and Cambria
8. Black Keys
9. Tool
10. Three Days Grace
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

the_pied_piper

You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

the_pied_piper

Oooh. Can I play?

I'll go by artist since I don't have last.fm (yet); a representative sample loosely grouped, most listened to recently get a *:

1. Jamiroquai *// Chromeo // Daft Punk * // Kylie Minogue // Pink *

2. Billie Holiday // Etta James // Ella Fitzgerald // Louis Armstrong // Miles Davis  // The Blues Brothers

3. Duffy  // Amy Winehouse // Dido // Shakira // Katy Perry // The Killers * // Ok Go // One Republic *

4. Journey // Asia // Boston // AC/DC // Elton John

Plus I've got heaps of dance / electronica compilation cds. Do your worst guys!

You understand the need for varied musical taste yet do not quite understand the intricacies never veering from the mainstream. You are always the person who is wrong suited for a certain party; dancing at dark, moody venues and sitting in the corner looking dejected at a club. You want to grow a mullet but are too concerned with other people's images of you and so are often happy on the outside but miserable within.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there

Do you want a hug, pied piper?  It's okay to feel things again!
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2009, 10:06 by KickThatBathProf »
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic

You make a point of listening to pretentious music to try and make your wankery seem ironic. You possess a large mullet which you fashion into a powdered wig on occasion and the rest of the time swing around as you headbang pathetically. Additionally, you possess little to no musical intellect as you listen only to famous bands and their derivatives and are constantly snotty and uptight around all people, family included.

Classic!

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

the_pied_piper

Do you want a hug, pied piper?  It's okay to feel things again!

In case you didn't read back in the thread, hugs are in fact my personal currency so yes, i wouldn't mind.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

This is mine for the past 3 months

Biffy Clyro
Radiohead
Eels
The Beatles
Justice
Elmore James
Neutral Milk Hotel
Ratatat
Boys Noize
BB King

Judge me people. COME ON
Get off my land

the_pied_piper

Well, seeing as you asked.

You see little need to bring instruments into music, instead relying on computers for the majority of your preference. When you do listen to bands it has to be someone who is seen as progressive and a leader as this is how you feel about yourself being excessively vain. You occasionally throw in some more unsanitary music to try to deflate your ego a little but always fail as you once again rise to airhead #1.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

Hey it has come to my understanding that several people have gotten offended at your generalizations regarding their taste. I believe that a bunch of folks asked/implied that you should lay off this thread for a while or, at the very least, tone it down. After all, the point of the thread is to make people laugh and not legitimately hurt their feelings, right?

But having read some of your replies I see what the problem is here. You're just not that funny, but you post with the air of someone who thinks they are fucking hilarious. Maybe you should re-evaluate how likely you are to make people laugh, realize that posting ten of these in a row is perhaps a little more than is necessary, and focus on quality over quantity. I guarantee you it'll be valuable in the long run.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

Hey it has come to my understanding that several people have gotten offended at your generalizations regarding their taste. I believe that a bunch of folks asked/implied that you should lay off this thread for a while or, at the very least, tone it down. After all, the point of the thread is to make people laugh and not legitimately hurt their feelings, right?

But having read some of your replies I see what the problem is here. You're just not that funny, but you post with the air of someone who thinks they are fucking hilarious. Maybe you should re-evaluate how likely you are to make people laugh, realize that posting ten of these in a row is perhaps a little more than is necessary, and focus on quality over quantity. I guarantee you it'll be valuable in the long run.

You actually think the Dandy Warhols are a good band.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

From my last week's listening:

Beat Furrer
Rebecca Saunders
Harrison Birtwistle
Earle Brown
Earnest Cox
Konrad Boehmer
Salvatore Sciarrino
George Antheil
Richard Wagner
Maurice Durufle

Before you can judge me, you must answer the following questions:

Which of those wrote a piece for accordion, piano, choir (wordless) and orchestra?
Which of those used to be followed by the secret service when visiting the UK?
Which of those is an indie rock group?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valley_parade

• coprophage

Paul, I can't even generalize that. If anyone else posted that, I would have to say "you're likely cloned from Paul Hodges".

Also, I'm guessing Beat Furrer is the band.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

benji

I'm going to guess Boehmer was followed around by the Secret Service. He was an East German Marxist, right?

PS. I cheated and Googled it. Rebbecca Saunders wrote a piece for Accordion, Piano, Choir, and Orchestra.

Oh and Beat Furrer isn't several people. He's just Swiss (I think).

PPS. After some more cheating, I've hit on what should have been painfully obvious. Earnest Cox is the name of an Indie Rock band.

This was fun. I still can't make any generalizations about Paul's taste in music though, besides "you know a lot more about music then most of the rest of us."
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2009, 07:02 by benji »
This signature is intentionally left blank.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Isn't Google wonderful?  :-)

I'm going to guess Boehmer was followed around by the Secret Service. He was an East German Marxist, right?

From West  Berlin, I think.  But he lives in Holland now, because he hates Germany.  He is also one of the funniest people I know (through my son playing his music) - you should just hear  him on the secret services!  The notes to one of the pieces my son plays on a record of his music describe one of the sounds on the tape of effects that go with it as "pissing on the floor behind a pillar in St Peter's, Rome at night".  Konrad Boehmer with my son at his wedding.

Beat Furrer isn't several people. He's just Swiss (I think).

Swiss birth, Austrian nationality.

Here's some Earnest Cox which I uploaded when I first came here.  I wouldn't say it's particularly notable, though.  I think they've pretty much stopped playing, preferring to give their time to their motorcycle training business.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Weaselon

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Urban Knight

You understand the need for varied musical taste yet do not quite understand the intricacies never veering from the mainstream. You are always the person who is wrong suited for a certain party; dancing at dark, moody venues and sitting in the corner looking dejected at a club. You want to grow a mullet but are too concerned with other people's images of you and so are often happy on the outside but miserable within.

Interesting interpretation, but not very accurate. I suspect that part of the reason you guessed so poorly is that you were assuming I'm male. (Which is curious in and of itself - does that mean my musical taste clocks as male or is this just the 'no girls on the internet'/'assume male unless otherwise indicated' bias?) Also: Mullets are abomination that should not have been allowed to continue.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff

Protip: Mullets are not just for men.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Ballard

• Older than Moses

You actually think the Dandy Warhols are a good band.

Well played.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

Protip: Mullets are not just for men.

i have seen some hot lady-mullets in my day.

i have also seem some terrifying and trashy ones but i try not to think about them.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's

coughsomeonebringthisbackpleasecough...

Ballard

• Older than Moses

Protip: necroposting to subtly hint at people to necro a thread for you != :roll:

Zingoleb

Most of my most played is like...Marilyn Manson, due ot my short burst of obsession with him. I have no shame (but a little guilt).

However, if my library didn't routinely crash every year or so, Pink Floyd, Beatles, and Bob Dylan would be dominating the top played.

(I don't have last.fm, no)

So in that spirit, I'll just rattle off a few things:

Things I used to listen to way too much:

Beatles
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Heart
Moody Blues
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull
Melanie
Nickelback (I have no shame, only guilt)
Paul Simon
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Who

Things I have recently (past year or so) ended up listening to far too much of:

Ministry
Pearl Jam
White/Rob Zombie
Apocalyptica
The Flaming Lips
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Marilyn Manson
Traffic
The Books
Rush
Guns 'n' Roses

Recently been listening to a lot of:

Franz Ferdinand
Muse
Billy Joe Shaver
Iron & Wine
Daft Punk
You Say Party! We Say Die!
Cat Stevens
Mogwai
Explosions in the Sky
Grizzly Bear

So, er, try to judge me.

You can sort of see the phases I went through. It's amusing...to me, anyways.

Edit: Also put Bob Dylan into all of those categories, and Tom Waits onto the last one.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2009, 13:29 by Zingoleb »

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔

Animal Collective
    The Aquabats
    Arcade Fire
    Architecture In Helsinki
    Beck
    Belle And Sebastian
    Bright Eyes
    Broken Social Scene
    Camera Obscura
    The Decemberists
    Deerhunter
    Do Make Say Think
    Dr. Dre
    Explosions In The Sky
    The Fiery Furnaces
    The Flaming Lips
    Laura Marling
    Les Savy Fav
    Ludacris
    Modest Mouse
    My Bloody Valentine
    Mystery Jets
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Nick Drake
    Pavement
    Q And Not U
    Radiohead
    Slint
    Sonic Youth
    The Spinto Band
    Sufjan Stevens
    Two Gallants
    The Weakerthans
    Wilco

I want to know who I am.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

Generic indie
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

nobo

Nickelback (I have no shame, only guilt)

you, at one point in the past 5 years, have seen a spiderman movie
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up