THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 07:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new Isis. "Better then ITAOT".  (Read 2136 times)

Caspian

• The Tickler
new Isis. "Better then ITAOT".
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 08:16 »

Not that that is particularly hard! But seriously I think this is a pretty cool album, the drumming's the best it's ever been, the instruments layered and fairly varied, the clean vocals pretty good. Certainly the final two songs are way better then anything on ITAOT, and while it's not the heaviest thing ever it's a lot riffier then anything they've done for a while now. I'd give it 4/5, I reckon, and I really want to heard 20 Minutes/40 Years live.

What are the QC forums opinion on this album?

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Re: new Isis. "Better then ITAOT".
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 08:54 »

Having not heard it yet, I guess my question is: how does it compare to Oceanic?  To me, that's still the band's high point.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009, 09:24 »

I personally think Panopticon is better. To answer your question, though: It's not as good, though that's pretty much a given.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:36 »

Hi, I'm revealing my ignorance here: What does ITAOT stand for? My first thought always ends up being Pink Floyd's "Is There Anybody Out There?" and I'd like this cleared up.  :|

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:40 »

in the absence of truth

ill spin this album soon probably, seeing as how isis is playing here in about a month.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Zingoleb

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:45 »

Thank you, I always feel stupid asking questions like this, because it seems like everyone but me knows the answer.

I'm a classic rocker going through a reform. :|

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2009, 19:38 »

I sort of felt ambiguous about it at first, in that I half-expected Isis to do a glorious return to the Panopticon-and-before days of yore when their music was heavy enough to liquify my kidneys.  After the first listen, and after I poked around a bit and found my kidneys disturbingly un-liquified...well, I was disappointed to say the least.  But after having been listening to it repeatedly going on a couple weeks now, I have to say their new albums is a step in a very nice direction.  It's melodically interesting (much more so than ITAOT), and the liberal use of keyboard in layering is nothing short of BITCHING.

So, yeah...if I were to stack up Isis' albums based on quality, I'd put the new 'un below Panopticon and Oceanic, but above In the Absence of Truth.

And Celestial can go, uh...somewhere...in...there...I guess...yeah.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2009, 09:52 »

i seem to be in the minority who think that ITAOT is Isis' best by miles, with oceanic a close second, and panopticon just behind that (still haven't checked out the pre-oceanic stuff, something i must get around to doing!).

i've only given the new one a coupla listens, so i don't really know where i'd rank it.  it'll be hard though, as three i've ranked already are still INCREDIBLY close in terms of quality, and this one's up there with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up