THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 16:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 13716 times)

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
Demon's Souls
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 04:22 »

Has anyone played it? It's a action RPG for the PS3. For EU and NA it's being released in a few months time and has been out in Japan and China since February. The Chinese version has the option to change text and lanuage to English, which I picked up a few weeks ago. The closest comparison I can make is a mix between Baldurs Gate and Elder Scrolls IV. You start with being able to customize your character's apperance and pick one out of ten character classes. These range from the usual western RPG classes like thief, knight, soldier, barbarian and hunter. Picking a class doesn't really determine much aside from what stats you start with, since everything in the game is usuable to each class as long as the character reaches the weapon/armour requirement.

The story of the game isn't overly inthralling. A King seeking to better his Kingdom used the power of souls to make things all right and nice, and that worked for a while. Until the King unwittingly awakened the Old One (the Big Bad of the game) and a fog settled over the Kingdom, with it came soul devouring demons. The Kingdom being pretty much fucked, rightly became a large pissing contest for whomever wanted to venture into the god forsaken land and become its savior. Only thing is a lot of people have tried this and have never returned. This is where your character steps up to the plate and is given the choice to be the Shining Knight, to make things right and nice again.

Souls are a major part of the game. Kill a demon/human and you get so-many souls. These can be used for basically everything. Boosting stats, buying/repairing/upgrading weapons and learning magic.

The major thing about this game is that it's hard. Really goddamn frustatingly hard. Because you will die, then you'll die some more after you've died 10 times only to think you've got shit sorted out only to die some more after all of that. When you recieve souls they are kept on you throughout the game. If you die though, a bloodstain is left in the place you died and you'll be teleported back to the nearest level entry. If you were a fully living human before facing death you will become a wandering soul with your HP reduced to 75% of what it normally is and find that all the souls that you had are now with the great big bloodstain that you now have to travel back to. If you die before you can get to your bloodstain your soul count will be bought back down to zero. Making it all the much annoying when you're a few strides away from where you died only to be cut down again by what originally killed you.

Being a fully living human doesn't mean much, apart from having 100% HP. Because the only ways to resurect yourself is to kill a level boss or use a rare resurection ore you will mostly spend the game as a wandering soul. The game has a few neat online features. Such as leaving notes around the place for players to take heed of something coming up that may be difficult, hailing other players into your game to help you out if you're having throuble, play co-op with two other players and even invade players world and be a right dick by stalking them and collecting their souls.

This is a really fun game, the dying becomes so much of a common occurance that it just becomes apart of the game and being able to pick up any weapon/armour that any character can use is a great way of not making the gameplay feel narrowed.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Demon's Souls
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 13:18 »

Has anyone played it? It's a action RPG for the PS3.

TL;DR
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 13:27 »

i remember reading about this on Kotaku a while back and i've been contemplating getting it ever since.

the whole "dying as a game mechanic" thing sounds pretty cool.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2009, 17:02 »

This game is absolutely amazing. I imported it because it was already fully in English and I didn't think that they would be releasing it here. I found out that Atlus was going to release it about twenty minutes after Play-Asia informed me that my package had shipped.  Urgh.  That being said this game is awesome.  Fighting is really tense and a surprising amount of fun.  What's really cool is that fighting one on one with one of the demons is really, really simple but when they through two or three at you the chance of you dying increases so much.

Everyone who talks about this game always says it's hard.  And it really, really cannot be said enough.  I've been playing for a month or two and am still only on the second world.  I have defeated one boss.  I have probably died over 100 times.  And I love it.  It's got this amazing Middle Ages feel and is more Western than a lot of Western games.  There really isn't any noticeable Japanese influence anywhere in it. 

It's really cool, the one problem I have with it is that enemies ragdoll FAR too much.  If you hit a dead enemy while you're walking they'll be thrown away from you, it would be a lot cooler if you just stepped on or over them.  I wouldn't call it an action RPG, it's much more of just an RPG, the action is really slow and methodical. 

If you own a PS3 you should definitely pick this up.

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2009, 08:03 »

Alright, after reading several reviews I think I'm going to get this game on principle. It sounds fantastically masochistic.

Ikrik

« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2009, 13:05 »

It sounds fantastically masochistic.

Yes.  Also the sense of accomplishment is insanely rewarding.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2009, 16:24 »

This game sounds like a dungeon crawl given a big-ass budget.

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2009, 10:09 »

Is it wrong that I'm putting serious thought into importing it rather than waiting a month to get it in the US?

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2009, 17:19 »

Awesome. Another game that sounds totally excellent, with no planned European release.

Seriously video games, stop making me hate you. I s'pose I'll just import the American version when it's released.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2009, 08:54 »

Alright, started playing this last night and it's absolutely brilliant. I just beat the Phalanx demon in the first section and got to upgrade my stats for the first time. Put 2 or 3 points into Luck and the rest into Magic and Intelligence.

I'm starting off as a Royal and moving towards a Mage/Priest build, with a heavy emphasis on the Mage part. I'm a little perplexed as to what I should be doing for stats though other than pump the shit out of Int and Magic. Also, since I'm at work and not able to spend any more time with it at the moment, can I sell equipment for souls or am I doomed to have a massive inventory of shitty equipment stashe away?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2009, 10:26 »

yeah, Demon's Souls! whoo

just beat the first boss (Phalanx) this morning before work. Decided to go with Wanderer because i wanted to be an ass-kicking knight but i didn't want to start out with no luck and miss out on any useful items.

basically, this game is fucking awesome and i highly recommend it if A) you have a ps3 and B) you are patient. the combat is a little hard to get used to because it's actually pretty realistic. Just try to swing a spear around in a tight corrider, i dare you.

it's one of the most instense and rewarding videogame experiences i've had...maybe ever, and i've only played the first level so far. The constant fear of not knowing what's around the next corrider or through the next door can be extremely nerve-racking because you are very mortal and even the weaker enemy types can kill you pretty quickly if they get the drop on you or you make a mistake and attack when you should have blocked etc.

the hints and bloodstains are pretty awesome as well. Many times a helpful hint has prepared me for something that would have insta-killed me if i wasn't made aware of it. But don't believe everything you read, you can and will encounter false hints that delibrately mislead you for the writer's own amusement. for example: upon reaching a new, scary looking area, i found a message that said "beginners should try this area later" or something to that effect so i skipped it only to return later (after beating the first boss) to find a shitload of treasure and no enemies whatsoever. some of the items i found would have been crucial for fighting the boss, too.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 07 Oct 2009, 10:42 »

I lost 12k worth of souls at one point because a trap had not gone off the first time I went through the area, and this time around it squished me on my way to pick up the Soul Stain I had left behind earlier. It was such a sad moment.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #12 on: 07 Oct 2009, 11:00 »

i hate that. the most i've ever lost in that way was around 9,000.

that was actually the very first time i was unable to make it back to my bloodstain, and i had to go outside and have a cigarette after that because i was really bummed.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #13 on: 07 Oct 2009, 19:17 »

Oh man, I lost 70,000 souls and was soulsucked down 4 levels by King Allant yesterday. My fault for not spending the souls and thinking I could beat him.

I'm contemplating about getting the EU/NA release now that it's out. Though that would mean leveling a whole new character, and the main I have now is level 167. My first play through was pretty bad and new game+ is literally 50% harder, so even though I would be able to redo a lot of the mistakes I made first of, replaying the new game+ is not something that I would enjoy doing again.

On a side note, when you've killed all the bosses and reach the very very final boss (you'll know when you get there) try and be at least level 100 before starting new game+.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:07 »

Yeah, this game is just too awesome. Started off as Royalty (which, after some looking around on the internet, turns out to be the easiest class to start with. Huh) and am now rocking a huge spear in one hand and a tiny little shield in the other with some pretty light armour. Looking to make my character extremely fast and very hard-hitting.

I spent about ten minutes earlier today killing that stupid red dragon just 'cause I was so curious about what those items he was guarding were. Turns out to be a couple of pretty awesome rings (Ring of Flame Resistance <3) and some souls. Just took a break after fighting Flamelurker. Had him down to about 1/8 of his health and then got stuck against some stupid thing sticking out of the ground, allowing him to basically rape me. Not happy, but I'll beat him next time.

I really like the little message system. It's very useful, and I try to leave as many tips lying around as I can. It helps others, and more selfishly, has gotten me out of some seriously tough spots with a timely "Your message has been recommended!" heal.

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:10 »

I got to the boss of 1-2 and jesus fucking christ I was not ready to get raped by a 50ft tall Heavily Armored Knight with crossbowmen firing at me from the walls.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #16 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:25 »

yeah, i made the misake last night of getting way too stoned and trying to solo the Tower Knight. however, after a couple tries i think i can beat him today. the first time i fought him i didn't realize you could go upstairs and take out the archers (duh) so that makes it alittle easier. i'm gonna farm 1-1 a bit and try to increase my dexterity so i can roll around more effectively.

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:28 »

Yeah, I kind of got there and didn't manage to get around him quickly enough, so he trapped me at the gane and just poked me into humiliation. Also, I made a melee character and went through the intro againa nd I DID NOT KNOW YOU COULD RUN SON OF A BITCH!

By the way, can you even beat the Vanguard boss in the tutorial section? I'm assuming you can, but any tips other than "don't get hit"?

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:31 »

I must admit I totally cheaped out on the Tower Knight. Took out the archers, then found a nice spot where I could jump out, cast Soul Arrow and then get back into cover before his crazy attack hit me. I'd probably feel bad about it in any other game, but this just throws so much crap your way that I'm happy just to defeat the bosses any way I can.

That moment where you go through the fog and just see this huge motherfucker the size of a castle standing there with a shield that's even bigger than he is is priceless, though.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #19 on: 08 Oct 2009, 10:38 »

yeah. i mean, i knew he was going to be big but i didn't realize he would literally be bigger than a tower.

plus i seem to have a really hard time judging his reach so when i try to dodge his swinging attack he almost always hits me anyway.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #20 on: 08 Oct 2009, 18:42 »

Something I've realized is that a bunch of the bosses can be easily defeated with ingame gltiches. The Flamelurker can be killed easily by getting it trapped behind some of the bones to the left of the fog door.

If you're in body form there's always the option of summoning Blue Phantoms to help you. This is a huge plus for other players since helping defeat a boss turns their character tendency white, which you sometimes need for level events. That and the bosses tend to focus on either you or them, and if it's them that just means it's easier for you to spam them from afar with magic.

It's also a good idea to keep your character on light gear. It wasn't until I got invaded by a Black Phantoms on a regular basis that I realized that almost everyone else is on light gear and therefore will flip all around you and take you out while you fumble around trying to keep up with them.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #21 on: 08 Oct 2009, 22:02 »

Yeah, making sure your equip burden is <50% is absolutely essential. The damage you avoid while taking hits wearing heavy armour is nice, but you're much better off not getting hit whatsoever because you're fast enough to dodge anything the enemy throws at you. I have a plate cuirass for some extra defence, but the rest of my stuff is total light armour. Enemy attacks - dodge backwards - spear to the face - win.

Also it is pretty unreal how much easier having a good spell makes things. I even managed to kill that red-eyed knight on the bridge in 1-1 without much hassle just by Soul Arrowing him over and over. He blocks the first two hits then runs out of stamina, leaving him totally exposed. Easy 2000 souls right there which, at the start of the game, is a major victory.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 09 Oct 2009, 13:45 »

WOO kicked Flamelurker's ass. He's actually pretty easy if you make sure not to get backed into a corner.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #23 on: 09 Oct 2009, 14:02 »

oh man. last night I allowed myself to be summoned by someone else to help them defeat the Tower Knight and, upon getting a better idea of how to go about beating him, summoned two minions of my own to defeat him in my world. everything was going great until he was at about 60% health and both my Phantoms went away (one died and the other apparently ditched). In my confusion i got body slammed down to a sliver of health and somehow still managed to make a dramatic come back and kick his ass all on my own. yeah!

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:18 »

Another awesome reason for being a blue phantom? When you're banished with thanks by the host you get a high amount of souls, just for being banished. I'm still not sure what the amount is based on but it seems to either be half of whatever you already have or if it's the amount that you've lost prior in that world.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2009, 11:42 »

Graaaah 4-2 is driving me insane. It's really annoying because I know it's actually not that difficult, but stupid little things keep happening. The next time my character misses a spear thrust and falls off a ledge to his death I might just throw my controller through the TV.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2009, 19:57 »

Update: totally kicked 4-2's ass, and then moved on to subsequently kick 4-3's ass. Stormruler has to be a contender for the most awesome sword in the history of Everything. Just equipping it changes your character from serious warrior to complete badass.

Think I'll do the Tower of Whatever is is (World 3) next. I took a peek into 5-1 earlier today and it didn't look very nice.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2009, 09:15 »

Woo, beat all the world bosses! I nearly cried after my first fight with Old King Allant. He tore me to shreds, soulsucked me down a level and I had 120,000 souls on me at the time. I have never played the game more carefully than when I was making my way back to that bloodstain. Beat him the second time, and with a surprisingly small amount of trouble.

I am very annoyed though, as I didn't realise that beating all the Archdemons causes the Maiden in Black to stop upgrading your skills. I'm now stuck at level 64, with 140k+ souls that are just going to have to go to weapon upgrades, moon grass and arrows.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2009, 20:56 »

Something good to know before facing the final final boss is that you shouldn't kill the maiden at the end. If you let her live you get a the soul that lets you learn Soulsucker from Yuria. If you do kill her you just get an average amount of souls.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:49 »

Do you not get the Red Eye Stone if you kill her, though? I mean, I let her live as I wanted Soulsucker, but at the end of New Game+ I am going to stab that girl in the spine.

Also, it is quite terrifying how good Firestorm is. Everything suddenly becomes so much easier.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2009, 12:03 »

I'm playing as a Hunter.  I've beaten Phalanx, Tower Knight, and the Flame Spider.

Right now I'm at a roadblock in 2-2 due to my inability to do any magic damage.  So I went into 3-1, saved Freke and got the Geri's Stilleto.  Which though it's very low attack power, does magic damage, so now I can kill the Bearbugs.  (Plus I got a bunch of Moonlight Stone, so I can soon forge a Winged Spear that does magic damage.)

It is just an insanely fun game, except for the parts you want to destroy your controller.  I haven't played online mode yet, but it seems even more fun.

One comment though:  I highly recommend committing suicide in the Nexus every time you're ressurected to body form.  Unless you really want to be black world tendency.

Edit:  Ugh.  Now I realize everything in the game that does magic damage requires intelligence and faith statistics.  And I realize you can run around that bearbug that's blocking the tunnel.  Now I need to figure out Flamelurker's attack patterns since apparently he can kill me in one or two hits even with the ring of flame resistance on.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 13:38 by SleeperCylon »

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:27 »

Flamelurker is a bastard. Unless you're a little girl and use exploits, I personally find him the hardest boss in the entire game (even harder than Allant, who I somehow never had much trouble with).

I'm quite enjoying the constant White World Tendency right now. Think I might go kill BP Garl Vinland later and get his lovely big (probably useless) hammer-thing.

Ikrik

« Reply #32 on: 28 Dec 2009, 19:51 »

Alright.  I've had this game for a long time now, and I really, really love it.  It could possibly be one of the top 10 games I own. However, I cannot beat it.  And by cannot beat it I mean I beat the first boss and have the entire game opened up to me and then can't beat a single stage past that.  I haven't played it for a month or two now and I'm considering getting back into it.  But...seriously, some of you guys have beaten it twice?

Can you give some tips to make the game slightly easier?

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #33 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:52 »

Uhh... I dunno, take your time? Always have your shield up and always be cautious. Try to use different methods to get past parts that are troubling you. (I don't know how you're playing, but do not limit yourself to one kind of fighting. Use everything at your disposal.)

Most importantly, try not to get frustrated when you die.

Trynant

• Emoticontraindication
  • never slow
« Reply #34 on: 02 Jan 2010, 09:27 »

Alright.  I've had this game for a long time now, and I really, really love it.  It could possibly be one of the top 10 games I own. However, I cannot beat it.  And by cannot beat it I mean I beat the first boss and have the entire game opened up to me and then can't beat a single stage past that.  I haven't played it for a month or two now and I'm considering getting back into it.  But...seriously, some of you guys have beaten it twice?

Can you give some tips to make the game slightly easier?

Here are just some general hints; I hope they help in some way.

• Lock on is extremely important. Learn to use that R3 button and master it. Remember if there are two enemies the lock-on will switch to the next target instead of turning off.
  • Don't spam attacks. In Demon's Souls, the stamina bar is God. Be very conservative with your strikes.
  • Shields. If you know the enemy won't attack you for a few seconds, or you are strafing around an attack an not planning on a block, lower your shield and refill your stamina bar. And most importantly, get a shield that blocks 100% damage. If you can, get the Purple Flame Shield from the dragon roost in 1-1 and level up enough to wield it. It's worth it, and will greatly help you in World 2.
  • Unless you're sure of the enemy's pattern, wait for them to strike first, then counter attack. Unless you're fighting the mind-flayers in world 3. Kill those fuckers fast.
  • A great place to farm for souls at the beginning is 4-1. Killing those skeletons will net you tons of souls. They hit kinda hard, but really just some good dodging (and magic or a blunt weapon) will get you golden.

On another note....
I decided recently to try out the whole Black Phantom experience; it's totally awesome. I had the the Thief's Ring equipped so he didn't see me coming until I was right next to him. The best part was luring the target into a swarm of monsters and then slashing him to death while he was occupied. Considering he was standing still while I was trying to kill him I figured he was trying to disconnect from PSN, but he went down before he could turn off his internet. It felt goooood  :evil:

Yeah, this game is awesome. I've beaten the first two bosses in world 1, all of world 2, first boss in world 3 and in world 4. I think the thing that slows me down the most is fear of playing. Running around with a bunch of souls and fearing the next foe around the corner just makes me either back off from the game or crawl through a level. Hopefully this will pass and I can start enjoying myself even more :D
When all else fails, spam.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #35 on: 04 Jan 2010, 10:48 »

You wanna be a real dick?

Invade somebody on 5-1 and when you catch up to them just run past and hide, then wait until they die (which they will).

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jan 2010, 10:55 »

Oh how I so fucking loathe the Valley of Defilement. It wouldn't be half as bad if the camera wasn't blocked by walls and ceilings so often.

Incidentally, this is my only major complaint with Demon's Souls. The camera can be absolutely terrible at times.

Oh oh oh: other massive dick move - invade 1-1 at a high level. You'll catch people going into NG+, probably sitting on well over 100K souls that they can't spend until they finish the level. It's a very satisfying kind of evil to kill someone in that scenario.

Trynant

• Emoticontraindication
  • never slow
« Reply #37 on: 01 Feb 2010, 17:10 »

Beat the game! I can rest now  :-D

Best part: Killing Old King Allant. Even if I lost 6 levels from it  :x

Worst part: Maneater. MANEATER. MAAAAAN EATER.
When all else fails, spam.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #38 on: 02 Feb 2010, 06:57 »

Maneater is a horrible fight; especially if you don't use magic. Firestorm makes the battle, like much else in the game, quite simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up