THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 21 May 2024, 10:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 450260 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: University/College
« Reply #1400 on: 06 Jul 2013, 13:35 »

People transfer all the time.  It's no big deal.

I don't know about other countries but this isn't actually true in the UK. I don't know of anyone who's transferred universities - I have heard of a few people hoping to do so with midwifery, but that's a standardised course and it's still nigh on impossible. So it's worth checking that transfers are feasible if you're thinking of keeping a transfer as a possible backup.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1401 on: 06 Jul 2013, 14:48 »

From what I've heard it is possible to transfer, but you lose a big portion of your credit points.

Thanks for all your opinions! This really helps me make a decision. I'll try to visit Karlsruhe and talk with my father, and unless one of these two things change my mind I'll go to Lübeck. I feel like I'll be much happier there. Considering how much I had to deal with depression during school I want to be happy in University, otherwise I would probably break at one point.

I do not intend to go back to Kiel every weekend, when I'm there. I'll make new friends in Lübeck, become more independent. There are some things which I can't really change while I'm here, and because of that will going to Lübeck be a new beginning for me. I don't feel like I need to move that far away for that.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1402 on: 06 Jul 2013, 21:54 »

What was the engineering school, Carl?

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (RHIT) in Terre Haute, IN.  I taught there as a sabbatical leave replacement after my Master's from Purdue (academic year '87- '88).  The faculty there were the ones who encouraged me to go back for my Ph. D. 

It was a very good year. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1403 on: 07 Jul 2013, 19:57 »

That's right, you'd mentioned it before.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1404 on: 07 Jul 2013, 20:19 »

So I feel like with the upcoming interview... if I get this job, aren't I... doing it wrong so to speak? I mean I should probably have my degree... however if there's any decent continuing education program with my job, between that and some of the Veterans programs I have access too... I think I'll start taking night classes in the spring, (read: online classes) in the name of getting a Bachelors in Business and another in History.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1405 on: 08 Jul 2013, 00:46 »

I don't understand the "doing it wrong" sentence.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1406 on: 08 Jul 2013, 01:05 »

Well... you're supposed to get the degree first. I guess it's left over brain washing from high school
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1407 on: 08 Jul 2013, 01:11 »

So what? Apparently, you are doing fine without (not saying that you shouldn't still get it if the opportunity presents itself).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1408 on: 08 Jul 2013, 01:18 »

....fair enough. blegh stupid cultural requirement that ties societal worth to a piece of paper.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1409 on: 08 Jul 2013, 07:49 »

Honestly, in this economy, if you have a job (especially if you like it and it pays adequately) then you're probably doing it right, regardless of how you got there.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1410 on: 08 Jul 2013, 11:21 »

Yeah, MoM hit the nail on the head with that one. That is DEFINITELY the case.

I did it "right" and it didn't do me any damn good.  :roll:
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1411 on: 09 Jul 2013, 08:30 »

Unfortunately "in this economy", when that job ends (whether at your volition or not), the piece of paper can be damned helpful. 

I think you've got the right idea there, to take some classes and start on the "paper"work while at your dream job. 

'cause, you know, dreams can take sudden unexpected turns. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1412 on: 09 Jul 2013, 12:00 »

Oh, I wasn't saying don't get the degree, I was saying not to feel bad about getting the job first.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1413 on: 09 Jul 2013, 15:18 »

In the UK at least, the pieces of paper are worth less and less because more and more people are getting them. Experience is more valued, unless your degree is vocational and sometimes not even then. Good luck getting a job with a history degree, for example. Maybe you can be the caretaker at a museum.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1414 on: 09 Jul 2013, 15:27 »

A lot of jobs in the states have the requirement of "bachelor's degree". sometimes the actual degree doesn't matter, just that you got one.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1415 on: 09 Jul 2013, 15:32 »

Which is fucking dumb.

Speaking of dumb, I lost out on a lot of job applications because my old CV didn't have my GCSEs on it. It did have my BA on it.

Now, is it not a natural assumption that because I've managed to get a Bachelors, that I am actually smart enough to write my own goddamn name and figure out whether I should get change back from a tenner? Nope, needs to get spelled out, it would seem.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1416 on: 10 Jul 2013, 02:15 »

Dumb?  Actually, it's always been an option (indeed, the existence of some degrees doesn't make sense any other way).  The idea is that a degree shows the ability to think and learn, rather than the possession of any specific knowledge.  Of course now that degrees are being more and more designed, run, and viewed as advanced vocational courses, and independent thought in the workplace is largely discouraged anyway, that's becoming an outmoded viewpoint.

OTOH, so many degrees are also essentially useless as vocational training that which you have is still largely irrelevant, so having any is simply viewed as proof that you are not quite brain-dead.

As for the GCSEs thing - yes, I've been puzzled at the request for that.  I guess it just displays a box-ticking mentality in those designing the forms.  From about the age of 40 I abbreviated it by writing "10 O-levels, 7 A-levels" and leaving it at that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1417 on: 10 Jul 2013, 06:12 »

I think the value of a college education means a lot more than what happens in class.

It shows that you are actually dedicated enough to follow through with higher education. Y'know....going to school because you want to. It shows that you actively try to better yourself. It shows that you have the capacity to apply yourself to a task and follow through with it. It teaches responsibility and accountability. It enhances your interpersonal skills. The list goes on...

Oh yeah, and sometimes you learn about your field too.  :-o
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1418 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:11 »

Wait, aren't GCSE high school? Why would they need you to put things about high school if you've been to college? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1419 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:22 »

With MoM here. Please explain further oh british types.

I have 100 some college credit hours between the U.S. military, this last year of school and some online courses, it's helped me meet some minimum requirements here and there (like when I was thinking of applying to the police academy) but I've honestly found a lot of industries I've even looked at vaguely outside of specific technical fields have skimmed right over my education line in my resume for my work history or as I like to call it "What can you do for me now? and have you done that before?" Manage a local portion of a nationwide light cargo network that flies VIPs, couriers, resupplies and can act as an air ambulance while working with a small team? It at least gets your boot in the door.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1420 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:38 »

With MoM here. Please explain further oh british types.

Tradition; if they can ask it they will out of habit.

For reference: 

GCSE (formerly GCE, CSE, and O-level, though they're not exactly equivalent) - exams at age 16.
   All school-leavers should have collected at least some of these (English and Maths is essential for virtually anything)
AS-level - exams at 17
A-level (and in my day, but long gone, S-level) - exams at 18.
   Used to gain entrance to university.

GCE - General Certificate of Education (originally included O-level and A-level)
   O-level - Ordinary level
   A-level - Advanced level
   AS-level - Advanced Subsidiary level  (first part of an A-level, graded separately)
   S-level - Supplementary paper, for more advanced students, taken with A-levels but graded separately
CSE - Certificate of Secondary Education (more vocational option than GCE, politically divisive)
GCSE - General Certificate of Secondary Education (merger of CSE and O-level)

Then there are fully vocational qualifications like C&G (City & Guilds) and BTEC (Business & Technology Education Council) qualifications, which are taken in FE (Further Education) Colleges (not equivalent to university) from 16 on, not in school.  I suppose these could be considered the next stage on from the old CSE, but they both pre-date and survive it.

Note: Scotland has a different system from the rest of the UK.

Some schools in the UK have started using the IB (International Baccalaureate) instead of the native English system, on the grounds that it is better respected.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2013, 08:47 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1421 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:58 »

Okay, so if you have a college degree, it would naturally follow you have GSCEs right? So why would you need them on a resume?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1422 on: 10 Jul 2013, 09:03 »

Yes; and because they ask for them.  As I said before, that's simply how it is; we don't make the rules/conventions. 

I suppose it's occasionally useful to see, for instance, that someone with a degree in Computer Science also has a basic grounding in French to GCSE level, or that someone with an arts degree has a basic grounding in the sciences; but if they want that, they could just ask specifically.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1423 on: 10 Jul 2013, 10:22 »

Also, now that I work in a college, I can say this - 'BTEC' means sweet fuck all, because it can mean ANYTHING. Could be a GCSE. Could be a year long vocational level 2 course. Could be two GCSEs. It really can mean anything, and so working in college admissions, it doesn't help me AT ALL.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1424 on: 10 Jul 2013, 14:10 »

I put "10 GCSEs at grades A*-B" I think. I don't include the D...
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1425 on: 14 Jul 2013, 14:02 »

I just got the results of the last module I did back: 95% on the continuous assessment, 65% on the examinable part. I'm not happy with that last one, but que sera, and all that. It's only a first-year module and it's a pass.

What really got me though, was the feedback that I got. "Correctly answered, but a bit sparse on details." - and nothing more.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1426 on: 14 Jul 2013, 14:04 »

And that got you a near failing grade? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1427 on: 14 Jul 2013, 14:14 »

Nope, the pass mark is 40% for first-year modules. In fact, I think that's the pass mark for all of the modules but if you only get 40% then you get a "why did you even bother"-class degree.

The mark is a little irritating, since I did nothing different in the last assignment to what I did in the previous ones, but I got a vastly lower mark. Still, that particular one doesn't count toward the final class off degree that I get. However, the other one I took this year does, and I'm still waiting on results for that. I did pretty well on that the early parts of that one too, but that obviously doesn't mean that I did well in the exam.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1428 on: 17 Jul 2013, 10:47 »

Go to the prof and ask what they were looking for.  The attempt will set you apart, and your next grade will automatically be better.  You'll also be able to tailor your work a bit to the prof. 

We are all susceptible to a little attention. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1429 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:11 »

I have to turn in my scholarship application in ten days and the professor with whom I want to do an internship in Sweden has just gone on vacation and now I see that I never actually told him that I have to make this deadline and I have to get a stamped and signed acceptance letter from him before I can turn this in and I still need a representative of the University of Amsterdam to co-assess the project and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #1430 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:42 »

Nope, the pass mark is 40% for first-year modules. In fact, I think that's the pass mark for all of the modules but if you only get 40% then you get a "why did you even bother"-class degree.

The mark is a little irritating, since I did nothing different in the last assignment to what I did in the previous ones, but I got a vastly lower mark. Still, that particular one doesn't count toward the final class off degree that I get. However, the other one I took this year does, and I'm still waiting on results for that. I did pretty well on that the early parts of that one too, but that obviously doesn't mean that I did well in the exam.

Wow, I would've passed 90% of my subjects first go with 40% pass marks!
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1431 on: 20 Jul 2013, 13:45 »

That moment when you realize you have to work though 25 pages of your script per day...

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1432 on: 21 Jul 2013, 12:21 »

Wow, I would've passed 90% of my subjects first go with 40% pass marks!

It's a different scale though - here at least, 85% is the highest grade the examiners are permitted to award. It's not actually possible to get higher than that, no matter how brilliant you are. I've never got higher than 65% on an exam, and my highest essay grade (they're just for practice, not part of my overall degree) was 69%.

But also, I think it makes a difference that we have four different classifications, and as Pilchard said, a 3rd (which is 40-50%) is considered a bad grade. Most employers want a 2.i (60%).

mtmerrick

« Reply #1433 on: 22 Jul 2013, 22:40 »

I took my placment test today.

I tested into dumbass math and level 1 college English, for what it's worth.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1434 on: 23 Jul 2013, 15:17 »

Sorry about that. 

Do yourself a favor, though - no matter how boring they are, go to the classes.  You can know all the material and still fail because the instructor has some goofy requirement that you missed in the syllabus, like "class participation" scores or something. 

And most schools don't advertise this, but if you feel your placement test performance wasn't representative of your abilities, you can usually retake them.  Just brush up on those linear equations first... ;)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1435 on: 09 Aug 2013, 16:20 »

Yeah, I was in the same boat as you merrick. I got stuck with a crappy math teacher (And trust me, I am being overly judgemental, I have has better math instructors in a low-rated school in miami). And joy I have her again this year.

Oh and I finally return to college next week. I could not be more excited
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1436 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:03 »

Well, I'm pretty sure the decision has been made. I'm going to go to Karlsruhe.

I'm actually sitting in the Entropia hackerspace right now, trying to stay awake until my bus home leaves (which will be at 5:30 am. It's about 3 now). Karlsruhe is okay. I've been running around here for two days now, and it wasn't bad. I got a slight sunburn on my arms and my face from that, and it was warm, but I guess that's something I'll need to get used to. The university is good, and the people at this hackerspace are great.

I brought everything I needed to apply here with me, so I've done that already. Now I only need some place to stay. A friend of mine is going to move here as well, we're thinking about sharing a small apartment. That'll be a bit difficult to organise though, being like 700km of road away…

But yeah, alea iacta est.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1437 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:07 »

why are there no hackerspaces in america  :cry:

also i got my student ID card today  :-D

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1438 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:10 »

well, there are, but the hacker culture is a little bit different in the US afaik. One of the most famous hackerspaces is the Noisebridge in San Francisco.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1439 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:12 »

let's try southern california?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1440 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:18 »

You won't find them called that here.  Too much governmental angst over the term. 

Back in the day, they were just called "Computer Science departments"   :lol:

mtmerrick

« Reply #1441 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:23 »

nowadays that's the term for the place senior citizens go to learn how to facebook >_>

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1442 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:29 »

Just look at hackerspaces.org, that's a good overview. There you can also find a picture of the hackerspace I usually frequent. Just look at my hometown.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1443 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:33 »

list of all hackerspace's page sorting is broken. every time i sort the list it won't display anythign past the B's, and then won't sort anymore at all >_<

tried in multiple browsers, multiple devices.

ackblom12

« Reply #1444 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:35 »

Odd, works fine for me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1445 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:44 »

Obviously MTM's been hacked...

mtmerrick

« Reply #1446 on: 12 Aug 2013, 18:45 »

what OS/browser are you running?  :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1447 on: 13 Aug 2013, 01:09 »

nowadays that's the term for the place senior citizens go to learn how to facebook >_>

"Silver Surfers" - say it right.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1448 on: 13 Aug 2013, 03:16 »

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1449 on: 13 Aug 2013, 03:52 »

I laughed at "silver surfers".
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50   Go Up