THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 May 2024, 10:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 452971 times)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
Re: University/College
« Reply #1800 on: 19 Oct 2013, 14:21 »

I'm doing it, I'm changing my minor to Appalachian Studies. I already have some credits I can apply toward it.

In a perfect world, I'd add an LGBT studies minor too, but then we're really pushing the "graduate in 4 years" envelope.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1801 on: 19 Oct 2013, 19:17 »

Good, when you're done you can come here (nothern appalachia, aka south central PA).  We have a very active theatre community that can use all the help it can get! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1802 on: 20 Oct 2013, 10:46 »

Alright, first real day of university will be tomorrow. I'll take an additional course (normally I'd have programming and linear algebra tomorrow, I'll go to "basics of probability theory" as well. Supposedly it's easy, and I'd have to do it anyway (afaik around third semester). If it's too advanced I'll just not register for the exam. German University system is interesting!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1803 on: 20 Oct 2013, 12:03 »

Oh man, linear algebra was kicking my butt in my first semester. I managed to pass it on the first try, but just barely. If I remember correctly I was had 43 points out of 100 and needed 40 to pass. Close call.
Of course now Analysis is kicking my arse even more. I hate Analysis. I wish it would die.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1804 on: 20 Oct 2013, 12:12 »

40 is a pass there? That's really low.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1805 on: 20 Oct 2013, 13:06 »

Yeah, I have to do both during this semester.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1806 on: 20 Oct 2013, 13:26 »

You only have programming and linear algebra? Wtf Ankh.
Here you'd have programming, technical CS (which is an introduction to logic gates and electronics behind a computer), analysis and discrete structures (aka introduction to uni math).

How many ECTS do they each give? This sounds like a really low workload.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1807 on: 20 Oct 2013, 14:00 »

Well I had Introduction to Programming, Digital Media, Analysis and Psychology 101.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1808 on: 20 Oct 2013, 14:09 »

You only have programming and linear algebra? Wtf Ankh.
Here you'd have programming, technical CS (which is an introduction to logic gates and electronics behind a computer), analysis and discrete structures (aka introduction to uni math).

How many ECTS do they each give? This sounds like a really low workload.
Funny, I had exactly the same modules in my first semester. But I think what ankh meant was that he has only those subjects tomorrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1809 on: 20 Oct 2013, 14:19 »

What ChaoSera said. Tomorrow I'll then have "Grundlagen der Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie und Statistik", which I'd be supposed to do in the third semester, "Programmieren", and "Lineare Algebra für Informatiker I". Tuesdays it'll be "Höhere Mathematik für Informatiker I" and "Lineare Algebra für Informatiker I Übung". On Wednesdays I only have "Grundbegriffe der Informatik" currently, on Thursdays it'll be another "Höhere Mathematik für Informatiker I", and on Fridays "Lineare Algebra für Informatiker I", "Grundbegriffe der Informatik Übung" and "Höhere Mathematik für Informatiker I Übung". Somewhere in there will be the "Grundlagen der Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie und Statistik Übung", and the "Tutorien" are missing as well. So it won't be as few things to do as you might have understood Loki…

By the way, LA (linear algebra) and HM (higher mathematics/analysis) will have the exams after the first two semesters. You need to have tried both until the end of the third semester and you have to have passed them until the end of the fourth semester if I understood it right. Same goes for programming and GBI (basic knowledge of CS), but these will have the exams after the first semester.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2013, 14:24 by ankhtahr »
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1810 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:13 »

Oh man, linear algebra was kicking my butt in my first semester.

Mine too, the first time I took it  :laugh:

Of course, I made the mistake of taking it as a compressed summer class...

40 is a pass there? That's really low.

Method, they're in Germany - European universities have an entirely different grading system.  100% doesn't mean you've mastered all the material presented, it means you're an expert in the field! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1811 on: 20 Oct 2013, 23:03 »

Fifth semester in networking, think I might have hit the proverbial bump in the road...can't seem to get the theory down right, can't seem to recall simple commands. I might have to forgo certification expenses and beg for an hourly Geek Squad job.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1812 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:56 »

I forgot that I had an appointment with my adviser this morning until I checked my e-mail. Accordingly, I had to quickly figure out my schedule for next semester:

Beginning Arabic II - Despite still not understanding Arabic in the slightest, I'm managing to do quite well in the class. So the journey continues.

Musical Theatre Production - Brand new class, should be hella fun

Special Topics in Theatre - A cover for teaching me and like 3 other people sound design, which isn't a regularly offered course since as I mentioned earlier not many here are interested. I love being in a small department where you can do that stuff.

Acting I - I'd rather pull my teeth out individually with a pair of pliers than take this class, I don't like acting. But every theatre major regardless of focus has to take this class.

Freudian Dreams - Just taking it for gen-ed, sounded like a class where some interesting discussion will take place if nothing else.

Appalachian Culture - As I mentioned I'm changing my minor. I already have Appalachian Folklore because of gen-ed and Appalachian Politics from my previous political science minor.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1813 on: 21 Oct 2013, 06:29 »

So you're going for directing, rather than acting?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1814 on: 21 Oct 2013, 06:37 »

Freudian Dreams - Just taking it for gen-ed, sounded like a class where some interesting discussion will take place if nothing else.
Gen-ed? I don't know exactly what that class discusses but I can already tell you that dream interpretation and analysis has about as much merit as reading tea leaves. :-D
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1815 on: 21 Oct 2013, 07:11 »

So you're going for directing, rather than acting?

I'm going for design and/or stage managing.

Gen-ed? I don't know exactly what that class discusses but I can already tell you that dream interpretation and analysis has about as much merit as reading tea leaves. :-D

General Education. I have to choose from a whole bunch of random 'interdisciplinary' courses. I might as well pick interesting ones, regardless of their practicality.

Had my advisor meeting, I'm on track to do that magical thing called graduating on time.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1816 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:51 »

First real day of university behind me.

Tired.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1817 on: 21 Oct 2013, 13:16 »

So I'm definitely more likely than not to drop out in the next couple weeks. I'm actually ok with this. I tried. Law isn't for everyone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1818 on: 21 Oct 2013, 13:40 »

So I'm definitely more likely than not to drop out in the next couple weeks. I'm actually ok with this. I tried. Law isn't for everyone.

Is it not possible for you to change your course of study?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1819 on: 21 Oct 2013, 13:53 »

I should point out, I'm in law school, which in the US is a grad program. There are no other fields of study at this school.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1820 on: 21 Oct 2013, 14:14 »

I should point out, I'm in law school, which in the US is a grad program. There are no other fields of study at this school.

Ah, I thought you were doing pre-law.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1821 on: 21 Oct 2013, 14:21 »

Nah, I majored in classics and got my BA 3 years ago. I went to law school because I couldn't find a job.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1822 on: 21 Oct 2013, 15:41 »

Nah, I majored in classics and got my BA 3 years ago. I went to law school because I couldn't find a job.

Well, there are always other post-grad options. You could continue in the Humanities route and go into academia.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1823 on: 21 Oct 2013, 15:56 »

I considered that while in undergrad but that route is too expensive with too few jobs.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1824 on: 22 Oct 2013, 11:44 »

I don't usually brag but this feels pretty awesome:

Just got feedback from a professor on a midterm paper and he said that (a) I was the only one who did the assignment he thought he'd assigned and (b) he thinks I should look into getting what I wrote published.

So that's kind of flattering.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1825 on: 22 Oct 2013, 11:47 »

So I finished my Contracts exam in half an hour because I had no idea to put for either of the essay questions so only wrote like a paragraph or two for each. I'm not that worried because it doesn't count for much (and if we do well on the final it doesn't count at all) but it was a bit awkward handing it in first. Eh, oh well.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1826 on: 22 Oct 2013, 11:52 »

Alright, another day of university down. I'm tired again, but I feel capable of writing a few paragraphs. ;-)

Yesterday I listened to the statistics and probability theory lecture, which seemed easy enough so I will go there tomorrow as well. Let's see if I can keep up with them until the exam, if not I just won't take part in the exam and won't lose anything. Well, then I had the first programming lecture. Well, at least that's what it said on the paper. In reality it was basically another welcoming event, with the professor who usually holds this lecture playing guitar with a band, and a few people telling us how great computer science, Karlsruhe and computer science in Karlsruhe is. Then we had lunch in the canteen, which is actually quite good, and went to the first of our two maths lectures, which was linear algebra (we have two math courses (linear algebra and higher mathematics/analysis), with multiple lessons over the week). Basically we repeated stuff we had in school already. I followed it closely anyway, as it was explained a lot better than in school and some small things we didn't have in school have been mentioned as well.

Today our first lecture was higher mathematics. Our professor (who's rather infamous at the university for being very strict) basically defined . This was the first lecture I considered really interesting. It was fun! Even though I had to write over two pages of text, and my wrist still hurts from that. It was still easy to follow, but if the professors continue to present new information in this tempo, well, I guess I won't be able to follow that easily for long. But everybody I spoke with told us that it's normal to not understand what's going on during the lecture, as you usually understand everything in the practice lessons/seminars (called Tutorien), where you're in groups of 30 instead of a few hundred.

University is interesting!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1827 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:00 »

So I finished my Contracts exam in half an hour because I had no idea to put for either of the essay questions so only wrote like a paragraph or two for each. I'm not that worried because it doesn't count for much (and if we do well on the final it doesn't count at all) but it was a bit awkward handing it in first. Eh, oh well.

I'm so glad my course is totally coursework. Even though I usually do better in exams, that's because I work well under pressure. Exams where you had to go up and hand it in were like having a bonus anxiety level. Maybe it's silly but I'm happy to sacrifice the two hours of internal screaming for a few percentage points.
Although I still get panicked the night before hand-ins, regardless of how much I have done.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1828 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:01 »

That was my experience of university - I never understood something the first time I encountered it, whether that was in a lecture, during my own reading or in a supervision. Thankfully, covering everything in at least two of those places and usually all three meant that I normally understood it all.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1829 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:04 »

See, that's one of the things I hate about law school. For most of your courses, most of your grade comes from your final exam (with a small portion from the mid-semester exam if there is one). Keep in mind it's just one of the things.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1830 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:17 »

Yeah, exams are also scary to me for that reason. I like the module coursework way for staggering the workload. Not every module is equal to our final percentage and then parts of the module are usually worth different amount, mainly the theory is 25% of the module and the practical is 75%. Our tutors are also good about giving our estimates, since they don't do final marking and we're all encouraged to get 60% average overall for the third year this course is setting us up to enter. Fortunately I have a foundation of 64% from last year if I remember correctly.
I think that's how it works. I should be working right now but I'm watching internet videos. Ah, college.  :psyduck:
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1831 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:24 »

Something I'm curious about, does the word "tutor" mean something different where you are? Over here it refers to someone who helps you outside of class, and is not an actual teacher.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1832 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:35 »

It can mean that as well but in my college "tutor" and "lecturer" are interchangeable because there's so few of them they do relevant things to both those titles.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1833 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:38 »

See, over here we just call them all professors.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1834 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:44 »

I don't think anyone here is called 'professor' unless they have a doctorate, and usually not even then. At my school we call everyone who teaches us 'tutor' at least.

In Norway we used to say 'professor', but the relationship we had with them was a lot different from the relationship we have with tutors here. It might be because the degree I'm doing now is practical and the one I did in Norway was theoretical, but I prefer 'tutor'. It's more personal, a 'professor' seems like someone you have a very formal teaching relationship with. Usually when I talk to my tutors it's very laid back and casual, probably over a cup of tea/coffee.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1835 on: 22 Oct 2013, 12:53 »

I've got a pretty casual relationships with my tutors. I've stayed behind and chatted to them about personal things and at the end of my last course, one brought us to their friend's hostel and we all drank and watched films. Also my friend has become a part-time tutor on my course, they don't teach my class but there's usually two classes sharing the media area. (There's walls/barriers so the classes don't interfere... Much.) If I could afford it I'd invite my tutors to my wedding.  :mrgreen:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1836 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:11 »

I don't usually brag but this feels pretty awesome:

Just got feedback from a professor on a midterm paper and he said that (a) I was the only one who did the assignment he thought he'd assigned and (b) he thinks I should look into getting what I wrote published.

So that's kind of flattering.
What did you write the paper on?

I just got feedback on an assignment that I essentially didn't do: It asked me to design an experiment to test the idea that consciousness is the basis for action planning and decision making. After wracking my brain for an hour I made some remarks on the vagueness of the assignment, how you can't test an idea if there's not a theory behind it, how experiments on humans wouldn't work, how experiments on animals wouldn't work, etcetera. I got a 6.5/10. Eh, works for me.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1837 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:19 »

Well, here in Germany "Professor" is a title, just like "Doctor". You are not allowed to call yourself "Professor" if you didn't do your "Habilitation", which is even more difficult than your doctorate. Everybody else is just a "Dozent", which is equivalent to "lecturer". Professors are "Dozenten" as well, but of course they want you to call them by their title. At least most of them.

Tutors are just students like everybody else, but they teach the younger students in topics in which they were good. They get a bit of money for it, and also correct the practice sheets of the students they're tutoring.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1838 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:24 »

They also usually help grading the final exams, additionally to what ankh already said.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1839 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:29 »

Yep, I forgot about that. Probably because I don't have any experience with exams at university at all.

All I know is that I should write "GBI"/"Basic knowledge of computer science" this year. And that Linear Algebra and Higher Mathematics will be written at the end of the second semester. About both semesters.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1840 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:34 »

In my law degree, I had a tutor who was my pastoral care person; I saw her a few times and had a chat, and she signed a few important pieces of paper which were related to my life rather than my academic work. I had supervisors who could be anything from PhD students to senior university lecturers, who took the small group discussion sessions and set my weekly reading and essays. And I had lecturers who took the whole-year lectures. Professor is a title like Doctor or Mrs.

In my midwifery degree I have lecturers, a personal tutor who is one of my lecturers (unlike the law degree one who had to NOT be in my subject) and I'll have mentors on my practical placements. We just call everyone by their first name.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1841 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:43 »

Well, you're only allowed to call yourself Doctor, once you have your doctorate, and to call yourself Professor, once you have your Habilitation. Using these titles without having earned them is a crime according to §132a StGB 'Mißbrauch von Titeln, Berufsbezeichnungen und Abzeichen', and is punishable by a prison sentence of up to one year or a fine.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1842 on: 22 Oct 2013, 14:57 »

Being a tutor or doing a similar task is also a required module in my Human Computer Interaction Course.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1843 on: 22 Oct 2013, 15:21 »

Ah, the dreaded "soft skill module"?

Ankh, I cannot see the symbol you wrote on my phone, but I guess it's the natural numbers?

{ {{}}, {{},{}}, {{},{},{}},...}

Sounds like you are doing fine. Be careful about the math and don't skimp on your homework. See if you can lend books in your university library if you need them.

LA I breaks everbody's neck a bit.
(click to show/hide)

If you have questions about uni life, don't hesitate to ask us!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1844 on: 22 Oct 2013, 15:44 »

In the UK, Professor is still an appointment - either to a specific post/professorship, or for special merit, or as recognition after retirement (emeritus).  You do not get a professorship by any kind of examination.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1845 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:23 »

What ankhtahr described as tutors over here is usually called "teaching assistant" or "TA" for short. They were normally students seeking the Master's degree in the department and help the professor in the class doing minor work like passing out and grading assignments or can be hired to teach low level remedial and interoductory classes as adjunct or part-time professors.

The tutors were hired students who assist other students outside of class to pass their classes. They work out of the school's tutoring centers and were capable of helping in multiple subjects rather than specific classes. They don't have any degree requirements, they just have to have knowlege that they can show understanding of to be able to help fellow students.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1846 on: 22 Oct 2013, 22:42 »

Ah, the dreaded "soft skill module"?

To be honest, I don't "dread" it. Right now I'm getting paid for visiting additional lectures - that's a pretty sweet job. And I want to apply for a tutor job at the Media Laboratory next semester - basically filming, doing camera courses and audio studio courses. It's a pretty awesome soft skill not many people get the chance of learning.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1847 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:32 »

So I talked to the assistant dean this morning (the one who I've been going to for weeks and telling her how utterly miserable I was and her encouraging me to stay), and she told me that I did terribly on my midterms and that it might not be a bad idea to withdraw after all. So I'm no longer a law student (not officially yet, but as far as I'm concerned I'm not). I can't be sad about this. I've been sad enough about staying in law school, I can't be sad about leaving it, even if part of me thinks I ought to be.

Now I just need to find a new career path.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1848 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:52 »

Well done. You did something scary and I applaud you!

You don't actually have to find a new career path right now. The only thing you need to do is figure out at least a short-term plan for where you're going to live and how you'll fund it. There's no shame in doing a dull and not very inspiring job for a while and letting yourself figure stuff out slowly. My brother spent a year stacking shelves in a supermarket before he found a job he could actually see himself doing. I spent two years bouncing around career possibilities like a rubber ball before happening across a reference in a book to something that sounded interesting. My dad has done about a hundred job and is now semi-retired from a career that didn't even exist when he was your age!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1849 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:58 »

That's true, but in about six months I'll start having to pay back my student loans, so that'll go on top of my living expenses, which means I'll need something a bit more substantial than retail. You're right though, I just need a job for now.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50   Go Up