THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 08:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 450109 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: University/College
« Reply #2100 on: 11 Jan 2014, 18:12 »

I've noticed many language programs tend to take a "Sink or Swim" teaching approach once you pass a basic level.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #2101 on: 11 Jan 2014, 18:26 »

So it's been discovered that one of the new arrivals on our hall for the Spring semester transferred from Liberty. She is currently being swarmed with people asking questions. I'd get annoyed by that rather quickly. New international students are pestered less than this poor woman.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2102 on: 11 Jan 2014, 19:05 »

Liberty?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2103 on: 11 Jan 2014, 20:41 »

Liberty?

Liberty University, Jerry Falwell's crazy-factory in the Virginia foothills. Notoriously strict (although there are other Christian colleges that are much worse). No public displays of affection, no homosexuality, no R-rated movies, required church services, and the College Democrats club was banned (decently big news story when it happened). They have an Institute for Creation Science (complete with bones from dinosaurs who lived alongside humans) and the guys who wrote the Left Behind series are professors there.

I actually went there for a debate tournament (don't get me started on how they flood the circuits with literally hundreds of debaters, most of whom suck but occasionally win a debate, and use that to claim that they're the winningest team). We went out to see what there was to do in Lynchburg at night (the answer is, not much) and a campus cop tried to give us "reprimands" for being out past curfew. We had to show our student IDs to prove we weren't Liberty students.

Despite the Creationist curriculum, Liberty has managed to get actual accreditation, because SACS apparently doesn't think science is an important part of the college curriculum, which is how our new arrival was able to transfer here and presumably have at least some of her courses count. I'm curious as to how she went from that to a heavily-liberal public university with a party and drugs reputation. The kind of parents who send their kids to Liberty generally aren't the same kind who would then let them transfer here. But I won't pry.

Speaking of Liberty, I once searched the Liberty University Library catalog for "homosexuality." The first result is "Homosexuality: a Biblical view", THIS is the second result.

EDIT: For posterity, I did the same search at my school's library. The first result was What's Wrong with Homosexuality? (a pro-gay rights book, the title is ambiguous) and the second was one of those "Opposing Viewpoints" books.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2014, 20:57 by 94ssd »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2104 on: 11 Jan 2014, 21:16 »

Sounds a lot like Baylor University in Texas. Albeit there the Science and Medical departments pay the bills, so you have Professors openly calling zealot students morons in class for trying to espouse creationism. (My friend is a pre-med student picking up a biology BS there)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2105 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:18 »

That book is categorised in two subgroups labelled "male homosexuality". Welp, guess I'm ok then.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2106 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:29 »

The textbook rental line currently zig-zags around the entire interior of both floors of the bookstore, goes out the door, and then wraps around the library building. I'm very glad I got my textbooks on Friday when the line was constrained to the second floor.

I mean, I've been in the line when it consumes the whole bookstore, but for the line to stretch for 1/10th of a mile out the door? Crazy. There must be even more procrastinators than usual this semester.

That book is categorised in two subgroups labelled "male homosexuality". Welp, guess I'm ok then.

I did another search for "transgender," the results were surprisingly normal.

I did one for Atheism and the first result was Atheism: A Reader, a book I'm surprised wasn't burned. The second result was a bit more expected.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014, 09:38 by 94ssd »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2107 on: 12 Jan 2014, 18:37 »

no R-rated movies
Not even The Passion of the Christ? :roll:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2108 on: 12 Jan 2014, 18:48 »

So apparently the textbook they gave me at the bookstore was for Intermediate Arabic I rather than for Beginning Arabic II. The good news is that maybe this semester won't be as intimidating as I thought it would be. The bad news is that now I have to go back and wait in line at the fucking bookstore on the FIRST DAY OF CLASS.

no R-rated movies
Not even The Passion of the Christ? :roll:

According to this (very interesting) blog post, they made an exception - http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2010/03/an-atheist-at-liberty-university-iv/

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2109 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:10 »

I was a trifle confused when you said Liberty was in Virginia, I know a couple of guys in the math department at what I thought was Liberty University in West Virginia (near Wheeling).  Turns out it's West Liberty University - no relation, apparently! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2110 on: 13 Jan 2014, 01:55 »

It amazes me that there is such thing as a textbook rental. What a good idea! Although I guess that's sort of what I do really; I get books out of the library, we have loads of copies of the key ones. I also bought a set of the basic texts and have barely used them. Sigh.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2111 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:15 »

It amazes me that there is such thing as a textbook rental. What a good idea! Although I guess that's sort of what I do really; I get books out of the library, we have loads of copies of the key ones. I also bought a set of the basic texts and have barely used them. Sigh.

We have textbook rental included in our tuition. Not every book is covered, you still have to buy workbooks obviously as well as novels. There's one book I had to buy because the class is new this semester so they don't have a stock of the book yet. But generally it works very well and saves a lot of money.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2112 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:26 »

Oh right, so it basically is like a library except with longer loan periods.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2113 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:29 »

Oh right, so it basically is like a library except with longer loan periods.

And MUCH steeper late fees. As in half the cost of the book if not returned before the beginning of the next semester.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2114 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:33 »

Makes sense I guess.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2115 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:36 »

I was a trifle confused when you said Liberty was in Virginia, I know a couple of guys in the math department at what I thought was Liberty University in West Virginia (near Wheeling).  Turns out it's West Liberty University - no relation, apparently!
I seem to vaguely remember the basketball team at the college I went to as an undergrad playing against them, though I may be mistaken, because their Wikipedia page says they're Division II, and the college I went to is Division III.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2116 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:38 »

Maybe they've changed divisions since? Or it could be similar to my ice hockey team - we were in one division in the female ... league? I don't know the right words. And we sometimes played against male or mixed teams from a different division because the UK women's ice hockey league is not exactly huge and we'd barely play at all if we weren't flexible about it.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2117 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:44 »

Could just be our team playing against a different division. According to Wikipedia they've been in the same conference since 1924, so it's unlikely they've been Division III in the recent past.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2118 on: 13 Jan 2014, 06:12 »

Could just be our team playing against a different division. According to Wikipedia they've been in the same conference since 1924, so it's unlikely they've been Division III in the recent past.

Not that uncommon. My school has a rivalry with a D-II team.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2119 on: 13 Jan 2014, 09:22 »

I would like to applaud my university on its bold decision to close one of the two dining halls for an entire year, ignoring the fact that they were already both massively overcrowded. Great move, no foreseeable problems there.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2120 on: 13 Jan 2014, 09:26 »

Ah, they must have hired my mother as a consultant. On once again struggling to fit the weekly shopping into the freezer, she announced "this freezer is too small, we need to get a smaller one".

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2121 on: 13 Jan 2014, 09:47 »

Non-sarcastically, I would like to thank them for having functional online and printable campus maps starting this semester, rather than the "bird's eye view" mess that they had before.

This is a big campus, and even older students still occasionally need directions. It also makes stage managing easier when outside groups come to campus.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2122 on: 13 Jan 2014, 11:25 »

I guess the new semester started - I just got a garbled call asking about tutoring. 

They often seem think I'm one of the university's free tutors, despite the info on the flyer.  I guess "reading comprehension" is something else they need help with...  :laugh:

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2123 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:21 »

Our student newspaper published a full-page A1 editorial asking that the school conduct an open search for the next Chancellor. I rarely say this, but they did a great job with this and its making some waves in college media circles. Currently the search is being conducted by an outside firm and the candidates are kept secret.

As you may have been able to tell from my previous posts in this thread, there have been a lot of big problems on campus lately. We need transparency in this process.

As for the paper, they've clearly made some major positive changes since I was fired/quit last year. The old Ed Board would NEVER have stood up the administration like this (and this is pretty huge, too). A lot of people were pissed off that the local paper was a better source for coverage on all the controversies last year. Article quality and fact-checking has also improved. Unfortunately I don't think I have the time to pick it back up, nor am I entirely sure I'd be welcomed back.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2124 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:25 »

I got my grade back for my first essay of this degree - it is higher than any grade I ever got in the entirety of my law degree :psyduck:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2125 on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:30 »

The library of the psychology department is a mess. Books are ordered variably by the first letter of the author's surname or the first letter of a word in the title. Which of those is actually used is indicated by underlining the word with black marker on the book's spine. Either this place doesn't employ a librarian or they have one who's a complete renegade!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2126 on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:35 »

Just found out I won't get the results of the extended essay I wrote (which will be 20% of my final grade) until June, since we'll get the final results for everything together. The tension is killing me!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2127 on: 18 Jan 2014, 17:37 »

So I'm seeing pictures on Facebook and Twitter of people getting their acceptance to my university, and apparently the letters now come in a giant envelope that says you got in on it.

I got a regular sized envelope with nothing on it and had to freak out until I opened and read it. I didn't open it for about an hour, I was CONVINCED it said no because all the other acceptances I'd gotten up to that point came in big packets and the rejections came in small envelopes. The guidebook and free t-shirt and shit didn't come until a month later.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2128 on: 18 Jan 2014, 17:49 »

PSYCH!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2129 on: 19 Jan 2014, 15:06 »

I am almost entirely convinced now that Jacobi matrices and partial derivations are the spawn of the devil.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2130 on: 19 Jan 2014, 15:11 »

You just gave me a flashback to my graduate classical mechanics course.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2131 on: 20 Jan 2014, 17:17 »

The Daily Tar Heel, UNC-CrapChapel Hill's campus newspaper, has compiled a list of college newspaper articles from around the country regarding the epidemic of rape cases being covered up or mishandled. It also includes steps universities have taken to try to increase safety.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2132 on: 23 Jan 2014, 04:04 »

I have an assignment due in 24 hours. Because my laptop cable exploded last week, today has been the first chance I've had to work on it for several days, and we've had additional guidance on how to format and submit it since. I've got about six hours available to work on it before it's due. WHY AM I NOT WORKING?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2133 on: 23 Jan 2014, 08:11 »

Can you temp ban yourself for 6 hours?  :lol:
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2134 on: 23 Jan 2014, 09:16 »

Haha I could - but it wouldn't help! The problem is that I have serious difficulty concentrating on just one thing for an extended period of time (unless I'm in a situation where I can get into a hyper-focus mode, which basically means the university library, and I've been at my mum's all day). If I'd had my cable I could have done an hour or two on the stupid thing each day and had it all finished by now, with just a few formatting tweaks to do this afternoon. Instead I've got almost all the content written but haven't had time to redraft anything, and will have to do all the formatting and printing during the coffee break between lectures tomorrow (and potentially skip my second lecture if necessary - the deadline for hand-in is at noon, and I have lectures until then).

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #2135 on: 23 Jan 2014, 09:37 »

The problem is that I have serious difficulty concentrating on just one thing for an extended period of time

Does listening to music help you at all? It seems like it could be an additional thing to concentrate on that has the added benefit of being portable!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2136 on: 23 Jan 2014, 16:33 »

Unfortuantely not usually; if it has lyrics I concentrate on them too much and if not, I zone it out. Also I don't have anything to play music on - I'm pretty low-tech in a lot of ways! What usually helps me is having something mindless to do with my hands, like washing up or ironing, while my mind is occupied with something thought-based. I got through a lot of my Jurisprudence reading and washing up by combining the two. Sadly there's no way to do that when the work is computer-based.

I have almost finished the actual content of the assignment now (I've been to a pub quiz in between the two posts, not working solidly! Which might have been a bit foolish to be honest) and will have to sort out the appendices etc tomorrow. The last task of tonight is to export all the work I've done on Scrivener into a Word document so that I can actually print it. The uni computers don't have the software and it's not possible to link your own computer into the university printer network, which I find flabbergasting.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2137 on: 23 Jan 2014, 21:03 »

Probably a safety thing.  Don't need any nasty viruses on a university network...

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2138 on: 23 Jan 2014, 21:13 »

My big software problem is that there are several things that are only available in the Theatre department, which is locked at 11 each night AND the design studio with the computers is frequently occupied by classes.

The main ones are Virtual Light Lab, Pro Tools, VectorWorks, and QLab, as well as a Windows emulator to be able to run the Expression Offline software on OUR STUPID MAC-ONLY CAMPUS.

The music department has Pro Tools and the architecture and design departments have VectorWorks (I can't believe that VectorWorks isn't standard on the library computers, SO many different courses of study make use of it), but during the day the computer labs are typically occupied by classes in that department.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2139 on: 24 Jan 2014, 07:40 »

Carl, judging by the number of times the computers crash and get the blue screen of death, I suspect it's more to do with lacking the competence to set up a system to allow it...

lepetitfromage

« Reply #2140 on: 24 Jan 2014, 08:51 »

What usually helps me is having something mindless to do with my hands

Hmmmmm......stress balls, perhaps? They aren't so intrusive that you'd have to stop completely to use one but maybe they are just enough to help keep you focused? I'm thinking of picking one up myself, actually (for different, health related reasons).  I've used an IsoFlex before and they are wonderful.  :-)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2141 on: 24 Jan 2014, 08:54 »

Not a bad idea - I've actually got a stress squishy thing from uni, I'll try that next time I've got an assignment. Which, thank HEAVENS, isn't going to be until late May :)

lepetitfromage

« Reply #2142 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:12 »

Woohoo for time off!! That is going to feel awesome, I'm sure.  :-)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2143 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:13 »

Well in between now and then I have two four-week assessed placements, so it's not all fun and frolics and free time. But BABIES. I've now got two reading weeks and one is busy but the second is free :)

lepetitfromage

« Reply #2144 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:17 »

Nice! So awesome that you get to be around babies now!

.....to be completely honest, the teeny tiny ones freak me out so much and I think you are so brave for doing what you're doing. I'm always afraid I'm going to break them! I prefer my little humans to be toddler sized.  :-P

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2145 on: 24 Jan 2014, 15:17 »

They're pretty resilient. By the time I get hold of them, they've either been pushed through a channel that's slightly narrower than the amount of space they need, or unceremoniously yanked through a hole that wasn't there five minutes ago. I figure if they can survive that, they can survive my fumbling attempts to fit their wriggly curly limbs into clothes that seem to be deliberately designed to confuse.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2146 on: 24 Jan 2014, 19:42 »

Someone should really do a "Larval Human Wrangling 101" class

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2147 on: 24 Jan 2014, 23:29 »

I am currently engaged in all-nightering. Tis not going well.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2148 on: 24 Jan 2014, 23:54 »

I have a solution!

You need.... FULL POWER!

It'll keep you up or pop your heart.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2149 on: 25 Jan 2014, 00:00 »

Yeah, I know how that feels. I'm still working three nights a week on exercise sheets.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50   Go Up