THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 May 2024, 18:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588345 times)

alli

• Larger than most fish
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #1800 on: 20 Jan 2011, 21:55 »

Update from the handball world championship if anyone is interested. The first group stages are over, these are the results:

Group A
France  9 p
Spain 9 p
Germany 6 p
Tunisia 2 p
Egypt 2 p
Bahrain 2 p

Group B
Iceland 10 p
Hungary 8 p
Norway 6 p
Japan 4 p
Austria 2 p
Brazil 0 p

Group C
Denmark 10 p
Croatia 7 p
Serbia 5 p
Romania 4 p
Algeria 4 p
Australia 0 p

Group D
Sweden 8 p
Poland 8 p
Argentina 7 p
S. Korea 5 p
Slovakia 1 p
Chila 1 p

Top 3 teams from each group progress to the next group stages,  carrying points with them depending on they‘re results in the first group stages. Teams that were together in the first group stages will not play each other again so for example Iceland will only play france, germany and spain in the second group stages. Top two teams from each group qualify to the semi finals

A
Iceland 4 p
France 3 p
Spain 3 p
Hungary 2 p
Germany 0 p
Norway 0 p

B
Denmark 4 p
Sweden 2 p
Poland 2 p
Croatia 2 p
Argentina 1 p
Serbia 1 p
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 05:23 by alli »

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1801 on: 20 Jan 2011, 22:06 »

Hmm, I mistakenly thought that Britain fielded a team who were of a reasonable talent.

Nevermind, only a couple of days to the start of the Tour of Langkawi, which looks to be on good form. Just hoping that I can track down some TV coverage or stream some footage off the internet easily.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1803 on: 21 Jan 2011, 04:16 »

'Twas Fight Night in Philly as the Senators came to town once again. For those who remember the original Punchout in Philly it's not really on that level but who doesn't love a good hockey fight? Also, gotta love the fan at the end of the 3rd vid (showing fights 3-5 from last night) flashing his "Old School Hockey" sign.

Oh yeah, Flyers won 6-2 and continue to sit top of the NHL too.  :-D

No, no - see, I'm a Predators fan. And, before that, I was a Blackhawks fan (before WWW lost me forever with the crap he spread after the Chelios trade). I hate TO, SO, ANYTHING "O".

Leafs fans tend to be the most arrogant bunch in all of hockey. They're like a mixture of Yankee fans with the failure level of Cub fans.

Dude, you changed teams?  :?

I don't understand how people can do that? Unless it was in 1998 when the new Nashville franchise started up and it was closer to home, maybe.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1804 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:53 »

Rob, if you get a chance (it should be on Amazon), there's a documentary ESPN did last year about the Colts leaving Baltimore for Indianapolis. Part of their 30 For 30 series.

It might shed a little more light on fans switching teams, or just holding on for dear life.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1805 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:48 »

Dude, you changed teams?  :?

I don't understand how people can do that? Unless it was in 1998 when the new Nashville franchise started up and it was closer to home, maybe.

I changed teams for a very, very good reason.

I live in Milwaukee. We don't have an NHL hockey team here. The Predators, however, signed up with the local (then IHL) minor league affiliate here (the Admirals), and we've been their feeder team since '98.

And that gave me the chance to get in on the ground floor with the Preds. Literally. I loved being able to see guys like Suter, Weber, Erat, Hornqvist, Franson and Rinne work their way up the ladder.

Heck, right now I've got three Gnash dolls sitting on my desk next to my comptuer, along with two Preds mini-jerseys of Traitorov (oops, sorry, spellchecker automatically does that when I spell out R-A-D-U-L-O-V), a Preds puck and my mini-SC that I got for attending the first game back after the lockout in Nashville.

Oh, and Valley_Parade? You're welcome for Harts.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1806 on: 21 Jan 2011, 07:20 »

Ahhhh, that makes a lot of sense. Growing up, I had a slight fondness for the Devils, because my local hockey team was their AHL affiliate (then the River Rats, now just the Albany Devils).

I love the AHL, to be honest. It was so cool seeing guys coming up through the system and making it into the NHL. Parise, Clarkson, Janssen (though he's with the Blues now), Madden, etc. Also psyched that when the Rats switched affilation to Carolina for a few years, I got to see Johnny Boychuk make his way through the system, and eventually end up partnering Chara with the Bruins.

One downside of the AHL: yr girlfriend living in upstate New York and sleeping with a now-Flyer behind your back. :psyduck:
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1807 on: 21 Jan 2011, 08:00 »

I see, that makes a lot more sense to me now. I guess the problem I have with understanding these things is that the UK is literally littered with teams of all sports and the debate is more about supporting your local team through thick and thin instead of just supporting the best team at the time whereas there are obviously only a certain number of elite level teams in the USA and it's much more difficult to mirror this behaviour (although Red Wings and fucking Penguins fans certainly do).

Unfortunately, that scumbag might be around for a while. He has very good numbers this season for a #4-line winger although he is in the way of Eric Wellwood's Flyers career and only has this year left on his contract so maybe he'll be off in a trade for a top D-man we sorely need.

As for Nashville, Pekka Rinne this season has become one of the best Goalies in the league. Nashville's lacking lower D-lines usually prevent him from picking up as many Shutouts as he should get but he hasn't given up more than 2 goals in 8 straight games now or something and his numbers this season are incredible.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1808 on: 21 Jan 2011, 08:21 »

Trade him out west so I never have to see his fucking Austrian ass again, please.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1809 on: 21 Jan 2011, 17:44 »

...Okay, so who are you talking about , VP? I'm talking about (our former 1st round draft pick) Scott Hartnell, whom, last I looked, was Canadian as poutine.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1810 on: 22 Jan 2011, 07:03 »

Nodl.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1811 on: 22 Jan 2011, 13:30 »

Sorry, we only take Finns and Czechs.
Just another Joe like 46

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #1812 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:09 »

That really was an excellent decision. Heard about the Sky blokes today, shameful really. Sepp would be proud.

Good to see Becchio back for your lot, was he expected back so soon after missing the Arsenal game? Seems a bit strange that he's unfit mid-week then back scoring at the weekend.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 08:11 by amok »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1813 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:52 »

Mr Gray, a former Scottish international footballer, replied: ‘Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.’
Mr Keys replied: ‘Course they don’t

I just I don't what but oh for fuck's
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1814 on: 23 Jan 2011, 13:59 »

I want the packers to hurry up and blow chicago out already.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1815 on: 23 Jan 2011, 14:09 »

Why do I keep clicking on this thread

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1816 on: 23 Jan 2011, 14:18 »

Oh hey, speaking of awful things in football games, in the Australian A-League local derby this weekend between the Melbourne Victory and the Melbourne Heart (god, those names), the Victory's infamously thuggish captain Kevin Muscat completely outdid himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwHzCtRa2SE

It was initially feared that the guy he tackled, Adrian Zahra, who's only 20 years old, would be out for 12 months or possibly even have his career ended by the injury he recieved in the tackle, but apparently now the injury isn't as bad as first feared and he's expected to be fit for the start of the next season and possibly won't even require a knee reconstruction. The reaction to the tackle from the public and from the football fraternity, even people such as Mark Bosnich who consider themselves Muscat's friends, has been universal outrage and disgust, so it's very possible that Muscat, who's 37, has played his last game.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1817 on: 23 Jan 2011, 14:24 »

Did he cross himself as he lost the field?

EDIT: I enjoy the fact that Sean Avery's name was invoked in the video's comments i.e; in a discussion about Australian sport, Avery is still the go-to guy when it comes to reckless thuggery.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 14:56 by David_Dovey »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1818 on: 23 Jan 2011, 15:40 »

BJ Raji was pretty much the only thing entertaining about Bears-Packers.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1819 on: 23 Jan 2011, 15:42 »

I dunno, I enjoyed the Chicago touchdown immediately after that quite a lot too, mainly because oh my god something's actually happening quickly in a game of American football.

EDIT: Also:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned franchise in American professional sports major leagues.

I did not know that! I like that a lot.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 15:44 by Inlander »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1820 on: 23 Jan 2011, 15:44 »

I am disappoint.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1821 on: 23 Jan 2011, 16:13 »

BJ Raji was pretty much the only thing entertaining about Bears-Packers.

No, I think the best thing about the game was the Victory Formation. :D :D :D
Just another Joe like 46

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #1822 on: 23 Jan 2011, 20:19 »

There's no way both teams can lose the Super Bowl is there?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1823 on: 23 Jan 2011, 21:44 »

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1824 on: 23 Jan 2011, 22:41 »

Some questionable content going on in the Steelers game on both sides.

http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/MendenhallHump.gif

and of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_JpoyM7-cc

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #1825 on: 24 Jan 2011, 00:17 »

Yep! They're the only publicly owned franchise in all of the North American major leagues, to my knowledge. Furthermore, Aaron Rodgers is a Cal graduate and Ben Rothlisberger is a rapist, so go Packers.

Also, if I was going to be culturally insensitive I would point out that unlike soccer, things actually happen in American football that are enjoyable to watch. But I also like baseball so perhaps my perspective's a little skewed.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1826 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:31 »

Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1827 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:40 »

Yep! They're the only publicly owned franchise in all of the North American major leagues, to my knowledge.

Seattle Sounders of the MLS are fan owned.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1828 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:53 »

Woo Haa, stunning win from Ben Swift on the final stage of the Tour Down Under. I've not been able to keep up with this race due to being on holiday in Austria. May have to spend some time catching up on the highlights tonight. Interested to know why Cavendish managed a dismal DFL.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1829 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:38 »

Also, if I was going to be culturally insensitive I would point out that unlike soccer, things actually happen in American football that are enjoyable to watch.

Whut?  :psyduck:

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1830 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:47 »

I totally support that statement actually. Futbol is about 60% passing the ball and 40% faking injuries.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1831 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:50 »

Both sports tend to have roughly the same amount of memorable moments per game, as far as I can tell. American football has more opportunities for bathroom breaks though, which I appreciate.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1832 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:02 »

Also, if I was going to be culturally insensitive I would point out that unlike soccer, things actually happen in American football that are enjoyable to watch. But I also like baseball so perhaps my perspective's a little skewed.

A good whipped in cross > one yard rush up the middle.

I do have a question which might sway it to Football>Futbol: Do soccer fans tailgate? I went to a Patriots game this year, and the tailgating was more fun than the game itself (though that was pretty fun).

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1833 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:32 »

I'm not sure about other nations that play Football, but in the UK, tailgating is more about driving like an arrogant, self-centred twat. From experience I would have to say yes, football fans tailgate but it's not a party like it is in North America. However, I don't think that reflects on them as either football fans or even people, cars are just Faraday Cages for most common sense and decency. As for the US definition of tailgating, no. There are sometimes some additional events put on by hosting clubs and sponsors but for the most part it's turn up, enjoy and then a dodgy pie and pint on the way to the pub.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1834 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:34 »

We use the term tailgating for both meanings, actually.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1835 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:12 »

Ok, question for, Amurrkans: What is tailgating when not referring to driving?

Both sports tend to have roughly the same amount of memorable moments per game, as far as I can tell. American football has more opportunities for bathroom breaks though, which I appreciate.

This is a fair statement that I could agree with but there are slight differences, I would say. American football and Baseball seem to be geared towards that big moment to please the fans i.e. Hail Mary (this is a bit of a guess as I don't know a lot about Am Foot) or Grand Slam whereas the big moments in Football (Soccer) can come from anywhere at any time as the continuous play delivers an opportunity for more chances from both teams.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1836 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:16 »

Hanging out in the parking lot of the stadium pre-game, grilling food and drinking beer and generally just having a good time.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1837 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:20 »

So named because you are generally sitting on someone's tailgate, shooting the shit.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1838 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:22 »

Somehow I forgot that part, but yes, what Jordan said.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1839 on: 24 Jan 2011, 13:40 »

This is a fair statement that I could agree with but there are slight differences, I would say. American football and Baseball seem to be geared towards that big moment to please the fans i.e. Hail Mary (this is a bit of a guess as I don't know a lot about Am Foot) or Grand Slam whereas the big moments in Football (Soccer) can come from anywhere at any time as the continuous play delivers an opportunity for more chances from both teams.

Yeah, we have hockey and basketball to fill that niche. Sudden-death playoff hockey is pretty damn nerve wracking. I would also say that excellent basketball plays often get an unfair shake due to the sport being so high scoring. All but the most otherworldly performances tend to get lost in the shuffle from a casual fan perspective. Unless you're Blake Griffin and practically have fire shooting out of your ass like an NBA Jam character odds are your best plays will probably get overlooked if you don't have a crazy gaudy stat line to back them up.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1840 on: 24 Jan 2011, 18:26 »

Quote from: Stephen Colbert's Twitter
Congratulations to the Packers and the Steelers!  You're both a credit to the defunct industries that are your namesakes.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1841 on: 24 Jan 2011, 18:29 »

Tailgating, when used as an adjectival phrase for an event and not an action on the roadway, is when people hold a party around their car/van/truck/RV/whatever in the parking lot of an event (usually a sporting event).

Usually, said event is held using vehicle that has a physical tail gate - like that of a truck or station wagon or hatchback. The food and drink is usually kept inside the vehicle while the participants sit in lawn chairs outside of the back of the car.

Many tailgate events involve grilling and/or cooking food. In the US, this involves burgers and hot dogs/franks and a portable grill, like a Weber kettle-style grill or a hibachi.

Tailgating is frequently done before (American) football games, since the eating and drinking are perceived as helping individuals keep warm before the game begins. It also may be because most football games begin around noon on Saturdays or Sundays, when many people are eating lunch.

There is reason to believe that the general concept of a "tailgate" may have evolved from "picnicking". One of the first references to what we would now call "tailgating" may have actually come from - of all things - the Civil War (The First Battle of Bull Run):

Quote from: Wikipedia
The wealthy elite of nearby Washington, including congressmen and their families, expecting an easy Union victory, had come to picnic and watch the battle. When the Union army was driven back in a running disorder, the roads back to Washington were blocked by panicked civilians attempting to flee in their carriages.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 18:42 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #1842 on: 24 Jan 2011, 20:58 »

Yep! They're the only publicly owned franchise in all of the North American major leagues, to my knowledge.

Seattle Sounders of the MLS are fan owned.

Didn't the Sounders get moved recently?

Oh wait, that was the Sonics, nevermind. That's cool then, community owned franchises are awesome. Then again, I'm pretty happy with the Giants ownership for actually building AT&T on their own dime rather than trying to extort it out of the SF taxpayers and then threatening to move if they don't get their way *coughA'scough*
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1843 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:03 »

The Sounders got created recently, Bryan. I think this is going to be their 4th season.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1844 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:26 »

They were formed in '07 but they didn't play their first match until '09. 2011 will be their 3rd season.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1845 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:29 »

Like I pay attention to MLS? The only reason I know the Red Bulls exist is because we had to buy tickets to see them play Man City when we went to see Spurs this summer.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1846 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:32 »

I don't either but the fervor that the Sounders inspire here in Seattle is pretty formidable.

I hate their stupid uniforms though. Everybody in the city seems to have one, so it's like seeing a bunch of walking advertisements go by. Nothing like a massive "XBOX 360" logo on the front of your jersey.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1847 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:04 »

Welcome to professional sports anywhere not in N. America.

It's always been strange to me that most of the major N. American sports have managed to keep sponsor's logos off of their uniforms (the most you'll see is the company that makes the jersey putting their logo really small somewhere below the collar). It's not like N.A. sport is any less corporatised than anywhere else, so how have they managed to hold onto that?

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1848 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:21 »

By having every stoppage in the game sponsored. For example, NHL Hockey has the PECO Power Play or maybe that all of those stoppages allow an incredible number of adverts throughout a game too.

To be honest, I am much happier seeing a sponsor's logo on my football shirt than having the game stop and sponsors vomited onto me every couple of minutes.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1849 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:23 »

Dear Mr. Dski,

Easy game, you said. Strong lineup, you said. Well it's halftime, and United are DOWN 2-0. I hope your stupid fantasy team crumbles to bits.

Respectfully (if not agitatedly) yours,

Shane
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76   Go Up