THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 19:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588081 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #1850 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:28 »

WE ARE LOSING TO BLACKPOOL, THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1851 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:30 »

I don't either but the fervor that the Sounders inspire here in Seattle is pretty formidable.

I hate their stupid uniforms though. Everybody in the city seems to have one, so it's like seeing a bunch of walking advertisements go by. Nothing like a massive "XBOX 360" logo on the front of your jersey.

I take offense to their shirts, but it has nothing to do with sponsorship. The third jersey kit they came out with last season made my eyes hurt when they wore it. Whatever is more intense than day-glo yellow, they made the shirt and shorts that color.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1852 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:33 »

From what I've seen, Gibson thinks that you have to shoot the ball if you get within, say, 32 yards of goal. He just whips in shots wildly.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #1853 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:43 »

Welcome to professional sports anywhere not in N. America.

It's always been strange to me that most of the major N. American sports have managed to keep sponsor's logos off of their uniforms (the most you'll see is the company that makes the jersey putting their logo really small somewhere below the collar). It's not like N.A. sport is any less corporatised than anywhere else, so how have they managed to hold onto that?

They make up for it by having advertisements just about everywhere else. The Giants play in AT&T Park, which features an enormous Coca-Cola bottle behind the left-centerfield seats and a right field wall called Levi's Landing. Their TV and radio broadcasts feature in-game namedrops for Coors, Dodge, Ford, Allstate, Speedee, and probably a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Like you said, it's not any less corporate than anywhere else, they just structure it in a different way so that it doesn't extend to the players on the field. Which is nice, because I really like the way (most) MLB jerseys look.

Also, even though it is really blatant advertising, the Coke bottle at AT&T does look kind of cool.

[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1854 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:55 »

Yeah I'd rather have the Sprint Halftime Show and a bunch of billboards than my favorite team being a bunch of walking adverts. I find it hard to cheer for a corporate logo.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1855 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:56 »

Although the teams are businesses so I guess I am anyway.

But seriously, the Sounders jerseys make them look like they should be called the Seattle Microsofts.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1856 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:57 »

ew

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1857 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:58 »

Their TV and radio broadcasts feature in-game namedrops for Coors, Dodge, Ford, Allstate, Speedee, and probably a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

The Red Sox coverage is the worst offender. We have "Olympia Sports presents the Boston Globe Pre-Game Show".

Pre-game coverage, sponsored by a newspaper, and presented by a sporting goods store. I wish I was making that up.

edit: the worst bit of the whole thing is that Amalie Benjamin doesn't really cover the Sox for the Globe anymore. It's not worth watching, now.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 13:00 by valley_parade »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1858 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:06 »

i think there's a balance you can strike. Australian Football League guernseys typically feature a major sponsor logo on the right breast, directly across from the league logo, a banner logo on the back (below the number), and usually secondary sponsors on the shorts. Like so:

« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 13:10 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1859 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:07 »

Also, can anybody here imagine a Liverpool jersey without a Carlsberg logo? Weird. It's become iconic.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1860 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:09 »

Right? My friend's got the new home shirt, just looks wrong with a different sponsor.

That said, they have some sharp kits this year, especially the away one.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1861 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:11 »

CHICHARITOOOOOOOOO, MY BOY.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1862 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:12 »

Considering the new sponsor is Standard Chartered ...

(Only changed this year though)

EDIT: Better pic
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 13:18 by the_pied_piper »
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1863 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:12 »

Though to be honest probably the most iconic sponsor was Crown Paints.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1864 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:13 »

That looks like the shirt of a 12th place team, Rob..

edit: edited
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 13:31 by valley_parade »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1865 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:18 »

Considering the new sponsor is Standard Chartered ..
(Only changed this year though)

That's what I meant! It's incongruous!

I was trying to think of similar examples which don't feature sponsors, but honestly it really does seem that nothing is completely sacred re: team uniforms, right down to my beloved Fremantle Dockers ditching the above guernsey that they've had since the team's inception for an anchorless model in 2011. The best thing I can come up with is if the Yankees ditched the NY monogram.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1866 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:21 »

Berbatov once again scores in chunks. 3-2 United.

I hope FSC's replaying the match this evening. Seems like United put in a hell of a comeback.

Dovey, I think another example would have been Newcastle United, when they dropped Newcastle Brown Ale as a sponsor. I seem to remember hearing there was a lot of uproar from the fans.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 13:32 by valley_parade »

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1867 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:34 »

god i hate that team, with a passion

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1868 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:43 »

Supposedly we tried to sign Bale when he was 16 and obviously didn't get him.

It was on Soccernet the week of the Spurs game.

The one thing I think we need badly is someone who can replace Giggs and Scholes up the middle. As you pointed out, it's clearly NOT Darron Gibson. I've read a few rumors linking Schweinsteiger to United, and, not saying this because he's my favorite footballer, he'd fit that role brilliantly. Make it happen, um...you guys in the boardroom. As far as out on the right wing, I think Evra's overlapping runs can be absolutely devistating, and once Valencia comes back (late February apparently! Hell of a recovery, sir), that'll solve the same problems.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 13:47 by valley_parade »

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #1869 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:44 »

Thanks Man U for winning me money and Arsenal for (eventually) not fucking up. That was exhausting to watch. Arshavin played like a league 2 failure and still got two assists, what the hell.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1870 on: 25 Jan 2011, 15:10 »

Me thinking out loud:

Tommy pointed out earlier that United need something new in the midfield to replace the aging Giggs, and I suggested that a right-side attack of Evra and a healthy Valencia should take care of it. The problem I had pointed out was up the middle. Scholes is also aging, Gibson's..meh, and Darren Fletcher just doesn't do it for me.

You know what though? Everyone's bashing on Rooney for not having a ton of goals this year. You know what he does have a ton of? Assists. 9, actually (and currently). Leads the EPL in assists.

I feel like the coaching staff is well enough trained..instead of going out and buying someone like a Schweinsteiger (which I still would love)..why not just convert Wazza into a proper midfielder?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1871 on: 25 Jan 2011, 18:49 »

1. Ads on uniforms in the US are somewhat taboo (except in the minors, for some reason). There's a lot of theories about it, but I think the primary one is that they are negatively associated with "lesser" sports - namely, NASCAR. The idea is, you put advertisements on your uniforms if you don't have enough money to pay your bills. It's considered something akin to "selling out".

2. I've heard that the Yankees radio broadcast is a MAJOR offender when it comes to ads; John Stirling essentially reads off ads in between pitches. Example: "Verizon has a deal for Yankee fans. I'll tell you more after this pitch to Jeter... ball one, outside. Verizon is offering a new unlimited plan..." You know, I can understand ads for the team and their events ("Baby Beluga Bobblehead Day!" and whatnot) between batters, but sponsor ads BETWEEN PITCHES? Ugh.

3. All that being said - I honestly think it's only a matter of time that ads will start showing up on uniforms. All it will take is a company willing to spend a lot of money on a league basis.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1872 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:13 »

stupid goalkeeper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQZhyi9-Lew&feature=player_embedded#!

edit: Liverpool playing Fulham tonight, I fully expect them to build on their win against wolves, especially with Stevie G returning from suspension
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2011, 11:23 by alli »

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1873 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:26 »

Hope Stephen 'Stevie 'I fall down' G' Gerrard doesn't take over from Meireles in the 'hole' behind Torres because the pair of them were lethal at the weekend. Hope baldy keeps scoring goals like that, I love the guy.

Fulham despite the Mark Hughes bonus to their defence are woeful away from home so this should be about as easy a three points as Liverpool will pick up all year. Is Johnson still their only fit striker? Poor bastards.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1874 on: 26 Jan 2011, 14:07 »

1-0 to liverpool, by no means a comfortable win. Moussa Dembele is their other fit striker, don´t know much about him though, didn´t reall impress in this game. Meireles didn´t score again but came verry close. Liverpool have looked nervous at times at the back both agains Fulham and Wolves, might get away with it against those teams but probably wont against teams with better attacking players.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1875 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:11 »

Dembele is actually pretty cool but I think he's coming back from a fairly nasty injury so might not be 100% yet. Still gutted that Fulham lost Zamora because without him they can look pretty pedestrian, although Clint is a helluva player.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1876 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:35 »

I always wonder how he got the nickname Deuce. I have a poster of him up in my cubicle, and it kinda looks like he's about to drop one.

Great player, though.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #1877 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:37 »

Good player. Shit rapper.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1878 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:40 »

I feel like Fulham should be doing better in the league, they may not have any world class players but players like Schwarzer, Hangeland, Sidwell, Johnson, Gera, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey, Zamora are all fine footballers on a good day

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1879 on: 27 Jan 2011, 16:30 »

Too bad they don't play soccer on paper. :D

Meanwhile, back in 'merica, Jeff Fisher has been relieved of his duties as TN Titans head coach.

So Bud Adams threw out the baby, the bath water, AND the basin.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1880 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:25 »

I'm sure it was a typo on the BBC's site, but apparently Liverpool just bought Luis "Hand Of God II: Electric Boogaloo" Suarez for 23 quid.

Deal of the century!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1881 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:26 »

They intend to if the stories about their turning down a £35m+ bid from Chelsea are true. They also need a second striker (as in numerically, another one, not the tactical position) who isn't a shower of shit.

Dutch league transplants are inevitably risky but I think Suarez has the class to succeed over here. He's a horrible little shit too so won't be too unsettled by the likes of Blackburn/Stoke.

I wonder what odds paddypower will give me on Suarez handballing off the line vs. Sunderland and Gyan shanking the resultant penalty.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1882 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:37 »

Feel free to quote this and laugh forever when he moves for £37m tomorrow but I don't see it happening this window. That 'bloody quickly' is the key - Liverpool's new owners can't possibly be stupid enough to sell their only reliable striker with one working day left to replace him. Even if they do a Villa and spunk money up the wall on an okay-ish goal poacher, the selling club can effectively force them to hand over 100% of whatever fee they get for Torres 'cos they know they won't have time to shop elsewhere. It'd be completely pointless.

This is all of course assuming that the Liverpool hierarchy has a level of common sense roughly equal to yer average bloke dahn the pub.

In the summer, maybe, depending on how the respective clubs fare in '11. Incredibly, 'pool could yet finish above Chelsea this season.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #1883 on: 28 Jan 2011, 13:01 »

Suarez bit me =(

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1884 on: 28 Jan 2011, 23:09 »

Up until about 5 minutes ago Fernando Torres was my hero, my blood is boiling at the moment.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1885 on: 29 Jan 2011, 07:36 »

I'm still unhappy with Rooney.

It's not the performance they're questioning, Tommy. It's the wanting to leave.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1886 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:12 »

always a pleasure to be offered insights into the beautiful game by ITV's crack punditry team, Some Failed Middlesborough Managers And Adrian Chiles

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1887 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:36 »

That and his transfer policy. No, see, they're good in Scotland so they'll definitely be up to playing in a league where there are at least 15 teams equal to or better than us.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #1888 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:27 »

The cupset I predicted between Saints and Man Utd is in full flight now.

This is what happens when you use terrible portmanteux.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1889 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:06 »

Handball world cup is over, no real surprises there. France > everybody else.
Final standings:
1. France
2. Denmark
3. Spain
4. Sweden
5. Croatia
6. Iceland

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1890 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:20 »

I've watched a few games of handball when Eurosport has bothered to show it and it seems pretty interesting but it also seems that the scores just rocket because the Goalie seems to have little chance of stopping the ball. Is there a rule for where to shoot from or maybe a number of passes before you can shoot or something like that? I am interested but I just can't seem to fathom out the actual rules.

In Hockey news, All-Star Game tonight! I really enjoyed the Superskills Challenge last night and it turned out to be a huge surprise to me in all honesty, I didn't think that Team Lidstrom would get creamed like that or that the Goalies would own the skaters in the Shoot Out Elimination but it was all great fun. I think Team Lidstrom will get their own back tonight though but only by a couple of goals. Prediction: 11-9.

On the football front, this Torres transfer request has come at a bad time but it's not wholly surprising. He's a player who should be playing at the highest level whenever possible and Liverpool can sadly no longer guarantee him Champion's League Football on a regular basis. However, if he leaves it should definitely only be on our terms, i.e. he leaves the country to play for his next club and we get a whopping mega huge amount of cash for him (possibly plus another striker too) or he stays and plays out his contract.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1891 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:44 »

(re: leaving the country) Sadly it looks like Chelsea are really the only suitors here. I still don't see it happening in this window but may just be being naive.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1892 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:47 »

You have to shoot outside the penalty area, there is no rule for the number of passes. Some rules are kind of strange, like there is no actual time limit for how long an attack can last, it´s just up the referee each time, but if the players are just throwing the ball around and not trying to score the referees will give them maybe 30-45 seconds before they raise their hands and then the team has to shoot or loose the ball. With the regards to the goalkeepers, the best ones usually save around 40-50% of the shots but rarely more than that, Daouda Karaboue from France was the best keeper in the this tournament with 47,5%.

The thing that bothers me the most about this Torres situation is his timing, if he wants to leave thats to bad but life goes on, but why do it now, why not earlier in January or next summer?

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1893 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:05 »

Well, the timing I would imagine comes down to the fact that now the Suarez deal has been tied up there is a chance he may be allowed to leave. Before this there was no other viable option up front and no other really viable regular goalscorer so Torres would not have even been allowed to think about leaving but I feel that we should force him to stay until summer, as then there will be other clubs (i.e. foreign clubs) with the cash to put in a bid for him and maybe extra strikers to boot.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1894 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:18 »

Assuming Liverpool stick to that asking price of £50m+, the only club I can think of outside the UK with the inclination to buy him and a reasonable chance of getting him would be Real. Outside of the comedy leagues like Uzbekistan that are owned by petrobillionaire mafia types, there aren't that many non-UK teams with 50 mil to throw around that aren't already sorted for strikers of a roughly similar age/ability/value/etc to 'Nando.

Otherwise it'll be the usual English transfer rumour line-up of Chelsea, Man City, United and comedy Arsenal option (we will trade you this Carlos Vela and a fiver for your spare Fernando Torres, thanks)
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 12:20 by amok »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1895 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:49 »

Typical deadline day. United loan out all their reserve players, but don't sign anyone, and if someone gets hurt we use Darron Gibson.

Top of the league, baby.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #1896 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:25 »

Adam and Suárez were players that pretty much everyone wanted but £35m for Andy Carroll is ludicrous. This is a man who finds it acceptable to drunkenly beat up women and has no qualms about being dragged into court a la Jody Barton. I just have a bad feeling about this signing.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1897 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:53 »

If Manchester United land Adam instead, that's the deal of the transfer window. Terrific player, would bolster them tremendously.

United loan out all their reserve players, but don't sign anyone

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1898 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:28 »

True, he is both injured and very probably due for a spell in jail but once he's out, Kenny will hopefully beat the Barton out of him.

And this is how he got injured: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-s-Andy-Carroll-injured-in-six-hour-30-Jagerbomb-bender-Exclusive-article666569.html

Although i don´t know if the mirror is the most reliable place to look for news

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
« Reply #1899 on: 31 Jan 2011, 14:39 »

Isn't the deal now in excess of £35m plus add-ons? The whole world has gone cuckoo crazy.

Oh, then Rangers went and signed the biggest arsehole twatface in the EPL. El Hadji Diouf. Seriously. Pretty much everyone in Scotland who isn't a Rangers fan already hates us and signing the biggest knob ever is hardly going to help. People are already talking about him becoming the next Fernando Ricksen. That said, he's not bad at football so as long as he scores goals I'll only hate him a little bit.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 76   Go Up