THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 23:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588117 times)

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #2050 on: 03 Mar 2011, 22:57 »

I thought that putting your own name on a jersey meant that you aren't prepared to admit that you lack pro sporting skills and are deluded that you are part of the team.

Still, at least wearing jerseys of stadium sports isn't as widely scorned as wearing the kit of your favourite cycling team. That's just writing a cheque that your legs can't cash (unless you support team Astana when you'll just be regarded as one of their clean riders).

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2051 on: 03 Mar 2011, 23:33 »

Do not get your own name on a sports jersey, it's lame as hell.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2052 on: 04 Mar 2011, 05:15 »

Oh.

Ooops.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2053 on: 04 Mar 2011, 05:58 »

Blah blah blah I'm a Rangers fan

a) Get Lunqvist. Or Callahan.

b) The third jersey is amazing, GET THAT.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #2054 on: 04 Mar 2011, 06:13 »

SNOOKER

counts, right?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2055 on: 04 Mar 2011, 09:45 »

And, you don't end up with what happened to me: I purchased the jersey of one of my favorite players on the Preds - and 24 hours later, he was traded to Colorado. :/

I have the worst t-shirt/jersey luck. For example:

-I got my Patrice Bergeron jersey about two months before his concussion a few years back. He missed the rest of the season.
-My first Manchester United jersey, I had David Beckham's name put on it. I got it in February and he darted for Real Madrid that June.
-I got my friend a Blake Wheeler t-shirt for xmas two years ago, and the Bruins shipped him out to Atlanta at the deadline this season.
-Most of my Red Sox player t-shirts are players that aren't with the team anymore. Alex Cora, Doug Mirabelli, Sean Casey. The only current one I have is Hideki Okajima.

I've learned my lesson. National team jerseys. It's unlikely (and pretty much impossible) that Bastien Schweinsteiger will defect from Germany.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2011, 09:49 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2056 on: 04 Mar 2011, 09:57 »

The rule for having your name on a replica jersey is the same as bringing a glove to a baseball game: If you're older than 9 there is just no god damn excuse.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2057 on: 04 Mar 2011, 11:35 »

Then we're ok, because my jersey is original.

Also lost.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2058 on: 04 Mar 2011, 11:44 »

I have a Lincecum jersey so I have at least another three years with it before he can leave. Hopefully they'll get an extension done soon and I won't even have to worry about that. If I get the job I'm competing for right now I'm thinking about buying a Posey road jersey with the extra money.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #2059 on: 04 Mar 2011, 12:05 »

See, I've never actually done it but I didn't know what the opinion was in north america about it. In the UK/Europe it seems to be an accepted practice as it is more to do with the fact that you want to show your support for the team rather than pretending that you are good enough to play professionally. Also, with the number of transfers players make between teams it's never completely known if a player is going to stay at a team and then you end up with a jersey of a player now playing for someone else i.e. Torres on a Liverpool shirt (which is what my brother has and now refuses to wear it).

EDIT: What is the accepted practice of wearing older shirts in north america? Because like Shane said all of his jerseys now have players who no longer play for the team so surely it makes more sense to either have a blank shirt or your own otherwise you end up paying out for new jerseys constantly and plenty of people still wear shirts that the team stopped using 5-10 years ago.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2011, 12:09 by the_pied_piper »
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2060 on: 04 Mar 2011, 12:39 »

Actually I'd totally get a jersey of a player who didn't play for the team anymore (Mike Richter or Gretzky, f'rinstance), or even the old discontinued Rangers 3rd, if that sort of stuff wasn't actually more expensive than the already ridiculously expensive regular jerseys.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2061 on: 04 Mar 2011, 12:53 »

Yeah, it's situational. It kinda depends on the player and the condition of the jersey. My uncle's old pristine Puckett jersey is fine but a ratty old Pierzynski Twins jersey is basically just admitting you're cheap.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #2062 on: 04 Mar 2011, 13:02 »

Actually I'd totally get a jersey of a player who didn't play for the team anymore (Mike Richter or Gretzky, f'rinstance), or even the old discontinued Rangers 3rd, if that sort of stuff wasn't actually more expensive than the already ridiculously expensive regular jerseys.

Well, a legend of the club is acceptable at pretty much any time because who's going to argue with that?

Yeah, it's situational. It kinda depends on the player and the condition of the jersey. My uncle's old pristine Puckett jersey is fine but a ratty old Pierzynski Twins jersey is basically just admitting you're cheap.

Does this not bring into question that your support of your favourite team is based on the amount of money you spend to support them then? Personally, I am loathe to pass judgement on those who wear the older jerseys, no matter whose name is on them, and to call someone cheap for wearing an old jersey seems ridiculous because I would not connect value of support with value of merchandise you have bought related to your club.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2063 on: 04 Mar 2011, 13:42 »

Are we talking about what is morally acceptable or how not to have other people think you're dressed like an idiot? Because those are often really two different things, unfortunately.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #2064 on: 04 Mar 2011, 14:14 »

Well, sport is not a fashion show but yeah, there are such things as humility and self-respect.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2065 on: 04 Mar 2011, 14:28 »

Also, fuck AJ Pierzynski forever.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2066 on: 05 Mar 2011, 07:20 »

EDIT: What is the accepted practice of wearing older shirts in north america? Because like Shane said all of his jerseys now have players who no longer play for the team so surely it makes more sense to either have a blank shirt or your own otherwise you end up paying out for new jerseys constantly and plenty of people still wear shirts that the team stopped using 5-10 years ago.

To be honest, it's double-edged. Wearing a throwback with a team legend on it is always kosher. And if you've got a blank jersey...teams in North America usually don't change uniform designs....much, ever. Aside from about a 8 year run in the 1970s, the Red Sox have worn the same home uniform since the 1930s.

Also, Dovey, if you go old school like Richter or Gretz, cool. And like I mentioned above..you could get it on a recent jersey because the Rangers never change, either.
But people who get a legend on a NEW jersey, I hate that so much. It's embarassing how many Bobby Orrs you see on the new Bruins jersey when you go to the Garden. Bobby Orr played in the 70s. The Bruins have changed styles 3 times since then.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #2067 on: 05 Mar 2011, 09:12 »

Apparently there is a strong case that an offside call on Arshavin was wrong AND he may have been deliberately pushed in the penalty area. Cue typical Wenger Blinker-VisionTM in the post-match interviews.

We just managed to beat Newcastle after going a goal down we were pretty much all over them from the 20th minute to the end. Rather pleasing after all our injuries and THAT F.A. Cup exit.

Leeds rattled in 5, Tommy! Starting to give Leicester (who a few weeks ago I was sure was going to sneak in and qualify through the play-offs) the slip.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2068 on: 05 Mar 2011, 09:48 »

Also, Dovey, if you go old school like Richter or Gretz, cool. And like I mentioned above..you could get it on a recent jersey because the Rangers never change, either.
But people who get a legend on a NEW jersey, I hate that so much. It's embarassing how many Bobby Orrs you see on the new Bruins jersey when you go to the Garden. Bobby Orr played in the 70s. The Bruins have changed styles 3 times since then.

It's not like it's even hard to locate Bruins throwbacks. I see them all the time, even here in Alberta.

I'd totally love to get one but unfortunately the only way I could do so would be a) pay something like $220 for an official throwback (even if it's not an old jersey design, this is literally how much it seems to cost to get a retired legend's name on a jersey. The local sports shop has a Gretzky Oilers sweater and a few others for this much) or b) Buy a knockoff, which I don't actually have an ethical problem with or anything, just more that I can't seem to find any place that sells them that doesn't have a major reputation for sending the wrong items or just not sending anything at all.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2069 on: 05 Mar 2011, 18:04 »

Meanwhile QPR are finally starting to string some wins together and are now eight points clear on top!

I bought my dad a replica jersey when I went to see QPR play in 2003, if they continue like this I might have to buy one for myself too.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2070 on: 05 Mar 2011, 21:23 »

Arsenal, what was that all about?

I would get rid of fully half that team. Not good enough.

Yeah, tell me about it.  Ref's decisions aside our side just isn't good enough once we lose a couple of key players.  Granted five of our first-team players are injured, but shit happens at that level and you need to be prepared for it with a decent bench.  If I were in charge Denilson, Rosicky, Diaby, Eboue & Squillaci would all the out on their asses, or sitting on them forever, or playing for other teams on loan, or in the reserves, whatever.  Bendtner and Chamakh are also patchy, unfortunately for us.  If we're gonna maintain pretensions that we're a top side we need another striker of Van Persie's calibre, a good replacement/fill in defensive midfielder for when Song's tired or injured, another decent back because Squillaci isn't working out and a couple more decent utility midfielders who look like they actually give a shit whether they win a game or not.

I am really sick to fucking death of Wenger's excuse of "if I bring in more players then when/where will they play" or "but our young talent will have nowhere to grow into."  I don't care.  The players won't care either if they are winning shit.  If we had a fit, decent  midfielder calling the shots against Birmingham instead of Rosicky being there maybe we would have come out of it a bit better.  Maybe if we had a captain that was able to motivate the team and actually fucking took charge we'd lift our heads when things get rough.  Fabregas isn't a talker, he leads by example.  That's not a captain, that's vice-captain at best.  We need someone who has a presence on the field and will get up the team when they're slacking off.  We lack that at the moment, and it really shows.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2071 on: 06 Mar 2011, 05:57 »

And there are still hundreds of millions of people in the United States who have NFC what you guys are talking about.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2072 on: 06 Mar 2011, 06:58 »

When Ramsey, Vela, Lansbury, Simpson, Watt, Frimpong, Emmanuel-Thomas, Henderson, Gibbs, Eastmond etc reach maturity and are ready to go into the first team at last, are they really going to play either of the Manchester Teams off the park, let alone the other London clubs?

Ramsey is a tough one - he was looking like something special (on a par with Wilshere) until that horrible tackle, and it's always unknown how a player recovers from something that bad. Eduardo wasn't the same since his similar injury.

Also, I keep forgetting Vermaelen is out - he's one of the best defenders in the country and I'm slightly shocked Arsenal are where they are having had their best defender out since September.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #2073 on: 06 Mar 2011, 08:19 »

Fantastic game today, slightly let down by the switch off 5 minutes from the end which let the scum manage to score an undeserved consolation. Luis Suarez was the stuff of defender's nightmares in this game and finally playing 2 up front showed the defensive frailties of a Manchester United team who aren't really a whole lot better than other teams but generally manage to grind out results through a couple of good moves each game. There is a fear of them turning into an AC Milan-style side, having to rely on elder statesmen to do all of the work rather than their younger players actually being able to play the roles they should be able to e.g. Smalling and Rafael who were very poor.

Most hilarious moment of the game was how Nani seemed to injure himself by not staying on the floor after Carragher's challenge. Jumping up and falling down again seems to have caused a stretching of the already (presumably) bruised muscle and striking out at a paramedic is not going to win him any favours.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2074 on: 06 Mar 2011, 12:44 »

Feeling slightly better about the prospects of the Rangers meeting Philly in the first round of the playoffs!

the_pied_piper

« Reply #2075 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:54 »

If we don't turn this around quick sharp you might be getting the Penguins or the Lightning.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2076 on: 06 Mar 2011, 16:31 »

We've got a decent record against the Pens too.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2077 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:51 »

They should have another one to replace him, same as they should have another decent striker and a decent holding midfielder apart from Song.

Was this the shortest hattrick ever? Kuyt scored three goals from 1 yard, 3 yards and 2 yards collectively. I can't immediately think of a hattrick which was scored from six yards in total. Fair play to him, you have to be there to score them.

I had one last summer that were all goal-line tap ins.

re yesterday's game:

Didn't seem like United ever had a chance, especially after Nani's antics and then Rafael losing his cool (and I agree Tommy, Rafa's pretty good. Much better than his brother). They played like they were frustrated, and Chicharito's goal wasn't much of a consolation, though it does push the little guy past 10 league goals for the season.

I feel like they've been losing hold of the league in the past few weeks. Hopefully next Wednesday turns out much better than the dreadful performance we put down in Marseille. Yikes.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 11:03 by valley_parade »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2078 on: 07 Mar 2011, 12:13 »

My ice hockey team lost their Varsity match :( However, it doesn't sound like they lost toooo badly, which is good. Damn Oxford and their easy access to their own ice rink.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2079 on: 07 Mar 2011, 13:23 »

Can I just say, Helen Clitheroe, 3000m gold medal in the European indoor Championships at the age of 37 and after her lottery funding was withdrawn. Absolutely fantastic. Beating people half her age, genuine proper sports stuff that.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2080 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:09 »

I find it very comforting to know that someone out there things that kind of a race is a good idea. Gives me hope for the human species.

For those interested in odd sports that don't require twenty or so ill-coiffed prima-donnas with good acting skills then it looks like there's going to be a penny-farthing race in Matlock on Sept 11th. Matlock is also a fine source of spectatorialy beneficial ales.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2081 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:36 »

You know, I was expecting you to make some note of Paris-Nice, which I think kicked off yesterday. I saw a bit of the first stage on Versus, but not the end of it.

My boy* Ryder Hesjedal has switched over to the new Garmin-Cervelo team, and is supposedly a favorite in this one. Also, the founder of Cervelo's last name is "Vroomen". What a fantastic name for someone involved in bicycle racing. Maybe only second to Jeremy Pedalfast**. Or...yknow. Ryder Hesjedal. Ryder.

*Well..co-boy. I'm also a big Andy Schleck fan.
**not a real person
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 14:38 by valley_parade »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2082 on: 07 Mar 2011, 15:35 »

The West is going to be a crapshoot in the SCPO this year. When you've got that much bunching from fourth to 11th, you're going to have a lot of potential for upsets.
Just another Joe like 46

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2083 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:17 »

Yeah the West is insane. I just hope the Flames make it, they really deserve it. (also I'd hopefully get to make it to some playoff games)

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2084 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:47 »

Personally speaking, I'm enjoying the hell out of the Miami Heat's collective meltdown. Schadenfreude wheeeeeeee.

Also the Red Sox will win 162 games this year, you heard it here first.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2085 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:54 »

valley - I've been a bit slow on picking up a feed for that one as I'm spending most evenings looking for work. Going to try and see stages four and five as these should be the deciders for the top of the GC. Might be a good showing for Vinokourov though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2086 on: 08 Mar 2011, 09:15 »

Personally speaking, I'm enjoying the hell out of the Miami Heat's collective meltdown. Schadenfreude wheeeeeeee.

Also the Red Sox will win 162 games this year, you heard it here first.

I'm saying 97.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2087 on: 08 Mar 2011, 09:47 »

My favorite thing about the Heat is the way some commentators keep acting like they'd be unbeatable if Udonis Haslem had never been injured.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2088 on: 08 Mar 2011, 11:26 »

Just looked at the profile for tomorrow's stage of the Paris-Nice. I reckon this should give us a good shake up of the GC as well as the main battle for the KOM going down as well.

As far as the GC is concerned I reckon the people to keep an eye on will be Wiggins, Vinokourov, Chavanel and Schleck. Not sure about Hesjedal, it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #2089 on: 08 Mar 2011, 11:38 »

Arsenal Vs Barcelona tonight.

RVP and Fabs both in but Rosicky in for Arshavin?

:psyduck:

RVP will be subbed off within 20 mins and Fabregas will do some retarded heroic shit like score a hat trick with no legs 'cos that's just how he rolls in the CL (penalty with a broken leg wasn't it, last year?)

Then Arsenal's season will collapse due to key players' injuries being worsened by being rushed back again.

Also Thomas Rosicky will Literally Never Score A Goal.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2090 on: 08 Mar 2011, 12:23 »

I am watching a liveblog of the game and holy shit, is it as fucked as the blog is making out?

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2091 on: 08 Mar 2011, 12:40 »

45 minutes of good defending, then Fabregas goes and throws it all away.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2092 on: 08 Mar 2011, 12:42 »

I am watching a liveblog of the game and holy shit, is it as fucked as the blog is making out?

It's a fantastic exhibition of everything that people cite as being wrong with football. Every 50-50 challenge leads to a Barce player rolling around clutching a totally diff. part of their body to that involved in the tackle and an Arsenal yellow card.

The ref is either part-owned by the state of Qatar or a coward. I'd've been more'n happy to lose 10-0 to the Barcelona team who occasionally show up and play fantastic football 'cos hey, everyone loves a good game, but tonight the embarrassing, used-to-Spanish-league-refs, 10x Sergio Busquets Barca showed up.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2093 on: 08 Mar 2011, 12:53 »

pff only if Wenger can spend the £75m at half time and buy all of the Inter team who humiliated these cheating cunts last year.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2094 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:25 »

If he was bent you would've thought they would've thrown in a performance-related bonus for not making it quite so obvious. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2095 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:28 »

That was truly the worst decision ever. Only need one though.

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2096 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:40 »

I really have to wonder what Bendtner has to do to be dropped for good. Aside from disemboweling Wenger's children I can't think of anything.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2097 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:46 »

Nah B52's alright, he was never gonna save the day as the front man of a demoralised, knackered 10. Good pressure from Mascherano and admittedly a poor touch on that occasion but if I had to choose I'd much rather have him in the squad than Chamakh.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2098 on: 08 Mar 2011, 15:03 »

The Alves tackle on Nasri was woeful, and the RVP red card was ridiculous.  I just want to forget about it now, but I'm expecting an announcement tomorrow about half the fucking team being knackered by the constant, unpunished fouling.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2099 on: 08 Mar 2011, 20:53 »

And the "Chara's hit was DIRTY" cries will be heard in 3, 2, 1...
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76   Go Up