THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 13:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588768 times)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #2100 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:46 »

Well, uh, yeah? I mean, the puck was long disposed-of, there was absolutely no reason for the hit to have happened. I don't think you can blame him for the way he ran into the glass like that, but it was definitely outside of the rules.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 21:48 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2101 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:55 »

Personally speaking, I'm enjoying the hell out of the Miami Heat's collective meltdown. Schadenfreude wheeeeeeee.

Also the Red Sox will win 162 games this year, you heard it here first.

I'm saying 97.

95. But that will be enough to win the East.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2102 on: 09 Mar 2011, 00:11 »

The naysayers are already saying the Brewers are doomed this year since Greinke broke a rib in a pickup basketball game. It's like we can never do anything right, even when we have everything seemingly go our way.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2103 on: 09 Mar 2011, 05:56 »

And the "Chara's hit was DIRTY" cries will be heard in 3, 2, 1...

Going back a period:

Johnny Boychuk attempted to hit PK Subban in the first period. It looked like it would have been a clean, open-ice hip check. He missed COMPLETELY, and Montreal immediately send a goon out to fight him. That was complete bullshit.

Chara's hit was clean, but not well-timed or placed. He definitely deserved an interference call, as it was off the puck, but not a major or a misconduct. In good news though, about 20 minutes later, NESN announced that they had word from the Canadiens front office that Max Pacioretty was in the hospital, concious, and had full movement.

Alls I know is that Montreal's back in Boston at the end of the month, and I'm anticipating some very bad blood. Also a Bruins win. We suck ass in Montreal, always.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2011, 06:02 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #2104 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:17 »

A bit off side from my predictions, Voeckler is really grinding an axe on today's stage. Hope he keeps this up, he can be a really exciting rider.

Currently in the front group running 4m 15s ahead of the peleton with 80k to go. Typically the reel in rate is 1m in every 10k. However in the next 40ish kilometres, there are two big ascents followed by a largely downhill run in to the the finish. Perfect conditions to hold the break, especially if the leaders can put in a good effort on the climbs.

Grimpeurs FTW.

Also expecting the GC contenders to push the button on the last climb.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2011, 06:23 by The Seldom Killer »

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2105 on: 09 Mar 2011, 08:28 »

Called it. Voeckler = legend.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2106 on: 09 Mar 2011, 21:11 »

The naysayers are already saying the Brewers are doomed this year since Greinke broke a rib in a pickup basketball game. It's like we can never do anything right, even when we have everything seemingly go our way.

It depends. The Cardinals are more doomed, so the Brewers' only real competition are the Reds. If Greinke really only misses 3 starts like the team claims, then they'll probably still have a good shot at it. If it becomes a persistent problem then who knows. For what it's worth, Shaun Marcum is consistently underrated and if Greinke is back to 2009 form once he's healthy I'd argue that Milwaukee's 1-2-3 matches up with just about anybody except Philly. They will really need Braun to play better this year, though.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2107 on: 09 Mar 2011, 22:37 »

Braunie's aware of that. This is gonna be his team for the long term, regardless of what Prince does. (My bet: Prince does a LBJ move and books for NYY or LAA.)

The problem is, those #### Cubs like to ruin plans at times. Especially when their fans decide to turn Miller Park into Wrigley Freakin' Field North.

There are times I just wish we had a four-division setup in the NL, and didn't have to worry about five other teams in our division.
Just another Joe like 46

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2108 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:24 »

The Yankees aren't in the market for dropping a huge contract on a first baseman while they still have Teixiera taking that position for several years going forward. The Angels will definitely be in the market though, probably Texas too if their new owners are as deep-pocketed as they are expected to be. My personal nightmare is Prince or Pujols signing with the Dodgers, I can only hope their ownership clusterfuck will prevent that from happening.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2109 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:22 »

God damn it.

It's difficult enough supporting a team which is suddenly owned by a small group of obscenely wealthy individuals without them also resorting to dubious financial chicanery to secure prized players.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2011, 06:24 by Inlander »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2110 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:47 »

Uhm, okay.

Can someone explain to the Ugly American here why this is so dang important?

I mean, he signed a contract with another team in another league, but that's where my understanding disappears.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2111 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:06 »

No.

The Carlos Tevez thing still confuses me to no end.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2112 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:22 »

Iīm still waiting for a Europa League game with Liverpool thatīs actually fun to watch. They have been terribly boring in Europe this season, maybe has something to do with the fact that squad players have been given chances in that competition and they seriously lack quality in depth. Lotīs of work to be done in the summer.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2113 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:28 »

Perhaps you should support a non-terrible team.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2114 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:41 »

Excellent result for Kloden today in the Paris-Nice and as predicted this stage really sorted out the GC contenders.

The order will change around quite a bit tomorrow though in the TT. Very interested to see what Wiggins does here. He's a very good time trialist and over 27k should be able to put quite a lot of time into the current leader Kloden who leads him by 29 seconds. He could very well put himself into a winning position with two days left to go.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2115 on: 10 Mar 2011, 15:31 »

Iīm still waiting for a Europa League game with Liverpool thatīs actually fun to watch. They have been terribly boring in Europe this season, maybe has something to do with the fact that squad players have been given chances in that competition and they seriously lack quality in depth. Lotīs of work to be done in the summer.

There are all of those rules about squad composition for the European competitions and how you can only play for one team each year and how many home grown players you have to have in the squad etc. which really isn't helping us this year because there is absolutely no strength in depth. The first team is about all we have and even then, without Gerrard and Suarez it's a tough ask because the players are so bad. Today's team included 3 defensive midfielders of questionable quality and precisely one player on the whole pitch (2 when Carroll was brought on) in Raul Meireles who had any inkling of how to actually score without being 2 yards out and having the whole goal to shoot at. It is painful to watch most of the time.

Perhaps you should support a non-terrible team.

FUCK YOU SHANE
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2116 on: 10 Mar 2011, 18:38 »

So... no response because I'm the stupid Ugly American, or no response because no one else has a clue about it, either?
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2117 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:48 »

FUCK YOU SHANE

Rob I swear to god you're stalking me. There's a dude at trivia the past two weeks..last week he had a Liverpool jersey, and last night a Flyers t-shirt.

JUST FESS UP IF IT'S YOU, I FEEL BAD FOR GIVING HIM DIRTY LOOKS.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2118 on: 11 Mar 2011, 07:23 »

As expected, Wiggins the first to go under 17 minutes at the mid point (15k) of the 27k individual time trial. At this point he has already overhauled his minute man Hesjedal and put another 15 seconds into him.

The likes of Vinokourov, Liephiemer and Chavanel not doing as well as expected.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2119 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:17 »

Wiggins beaten by Tony Martin and two seconds shy of enough time to overhaul Kloden. Still, he leaps into a creditable third place which puts him in good contention for the win.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2120 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:31 »

As expected, Wiggins the first to go under 17 minutes at the mid point (15k) of the 27k individual time trial. At this point he has already overhauled his minute man Hesjedal and put another 15 seconds into him.

RIDE FASTER, CANUCK.  :|

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2121 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:36 »

As a fellow Canadian, I'd be very happy to see Hesjedal winning but he's just not cut out for this kind of event.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2122 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:05 »

Rob I swear to god you're stalking me. There's a dude at trivia the past two weeks..last week he had a Liverpool jersey, and last night a Flyers t-shirt.

Oh man, you weren't supposed to know. I pay that guy to make you uncomfortable so that you don't win the quiz. Must get him to try harder next time. Maybe a Yankees jersey is in order?
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2123 on: 12 Mar 2011, 21:57 »

Dear Calgary Flames:

LEARN TO POWER-PLAY FFFF GEEZ

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2124 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:00 »

Oh man, you weren't supposed to know. I pay that guy to make you uncomfortable so that you don't win the quiz. Must get him to try harder next time. Maybe a Yankees jersey is in order?

Your plan didn't work. We totally won. $50, sucka.

Um guys by the way, two notes:

1) WHAT THE HELL BRUINS, ARE YOU TRYING TO NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?

2) Antonio Valencia played his first game since breaking and dislocating his ankle yesterday, and played a pretty big role in setting up Rooney's goal. Welcome back, dogg!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2125 on: 15 Mar 2011, 13:39 »

UNITED! CMON!

Up 1-0 in this game and on aggregate. Cannot afford to give up a goal now.

edit: CAN AFFORD TO SCORE ONE THOUGH. Two today for Chicharito!
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 14:21 by valley_parade »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2126 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:30 »

Wes Brown. Me and you behind the supermarket. My fist, your TEETH.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2127 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:54 »

I don't understand Wes Brown, in the same way that I don't understand how Paul Scholes has been a professional footballer for like 15 years and CAN'T MAKE A CHALLENGE WITHOUT GETTING BOOKED.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2128 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:18 »

So here's the thing. MLS kicked off last night with Los Angeles away to Seattle. MLS has been around since 1996, and I've never fully embraced it, BUT I WANT TO THIS SEASON. The only thing is, I need a team to support. Help me out here. I've created a small guide.

Teams I cannot support:
Kansas City - They beat United last summer.
Vancouver - Tommy's team, too many Leeds connections.
Seattle - Neon green? No.
Columbus - Same. Yellow.
Houston - Same. Orange.
Los Angeles - I was a Beckham fanboy when he played for United. Not anymore.
Chivas USA - I would if they hadn't sold Sacha Klejstan to Anderlecht.
Portland - They have a cool kit, but Portland is too hip of a town for me.
Philadelphia - Also a cool kit, but I hate Philadelphia.
Real Salt Lake - Stupid name.

Teams I could support:
Chicago - This is my gut instinct. They've had some fantastic players in the past, like Hristo Stoitchkov and Cuauhtemoc Blanco.
New England - My local team. Perhaps the sole inhabitants of Gillette Stadium this year. Have a habit of making cup finals and tanking, and I get that from the Red Sox. Only team in my area that has every game on TV.
New York - The only MLS team I've ever openly cheered for, when I saw them play Manchester City last summer. I also have a Thierry Henry t-shirt, but THEY ARE A NEW YORK CITY TEAM.
Colorado - Defending champs. Don't really know anything about them.
DC United - They kinda seem like a Liverpool/United sort of team, won a lot of titles in the first 10 years of the league. As a plus though, they have two of the best fan groups in the league (Screaming Eagles and Barras Bravas), and Charlie Davies just signed with them.
Toronto - Insane fan base. Canadian, though.
FC Dallas - Red and white hoops. That's all I know about them.
San Jose - The original San Jose team moved to Houston about 10 years ago. This is like a new Cleveland Browns sort of team. Downside: They play on the West Coast, so even if they had local broadcast rights, they'd play at like 11 PM.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2129 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:58 »

Represent the home colors, dude. Join the Revolution.
Just another Joe like 46

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2130 on: 16 Mar 2011, 15:25 »

I've never really been in to any kind of sports, but I love to watch soccer (or football, whatever) in real life. I don't have cable or any kind of television programming at all or else I'd probably watch it.
Point is: how would you guys recommend I watch soccer on the internet? also, what teams should I like and why? should I call it football or soccer? ETC ETC ETC

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #2131 on: 16 Mar 2011, 15:44 »

Point is: how would you guys recommend I watch soccer on the internet? also, what teams should I like and why? should I call it football or soccer? ETC ETC ETC

http://myp2p.eu/

call it whatever you want to call it.

support the team from where you're from.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2132 on: 17 Mar 2011, 05:46 »

I've never really been in to any kind of sports, but I love to watch soccer (or football, whatever) in real life. I don't have cable or any kind of television programming at all or else I'd probably watch it.

My go to streaming site is atdhe.ws. As for who to like, try watching a few games from different leagues + teams. Every team has their own style.

To be perfectly honest, if I weren't a United fan...I'd probably be an Arsenal supporter. They way they played about 5 years ago when they had Pires and Henry et al was fantastic to watch.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2133 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:59 »

Happy National Lack Of Worker Productivity Day!

And, for all of you in the Continental US: "How's your bracket doing?"
Just another Joe like 46

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2134 on: 17 Mar 2011, 20:33 »

atdhe.ws

"NOTICE: ATDHE.NET was shut down yesterday."
Well, shit.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #2135 on: 17 Mar 2011, 22:34 »

atdhenet.tv
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2136 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:45 »

Happy National Lack Of Worker Productivity Day!

And, for all of you in the Continental US: "How's your bracket doing?"

*shrug* Holding things up nicely, I guess?

Chelsea in the quarterfinals. Why couldn't WE get Shaktar Donetsk. Or Schalke? =(

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2137 on: 18 Mar 2011, 06:18 »

12-4 on day one, and only one of my sweet sixteen is gone. And my Final Four is still intact.

Day two is usually when I start screwing up. And Sunday night is when I'm found crumpling my brackets in disdain.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2138 on: 19 Mar 2011, 13:45 »

Aaaannnd true to form: 10-6 on day two.

At least my Elite 8 are intact.
Just another Joe like 46

Ptommydski

« Reply #2139 on: 19 Mar 2011, 13:48 »

Vancouver Whitecaps better beat Toronto FC tonight or I am basically done with football.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2140 on: 19 Mar 2011, 14:13 »

does that mean you'll finally shut up about it

Ptommydski

« Reply #2141 on: 19 Mar 2011, 15:02 »

I'll either become a raging pederast, pee on the homeless or - if it gets really bad and I no longer care what society thinks about me - a hockey fan.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2142 on: 19 Mar 2011, 15:03 »

I don't know if I should be offended or just nod my head.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #2143 on: 19 Mar 2011, 16:30 »

weirdly, everybody i know here in vancouver who keeps up with sports - and i'm talking everybody here, not just the americans who moved up north for school - is really into american football. it's the only sport i ever hear about. i never hear a single word about anything else, not even hockey. everyone's just fucking apeshit about american football to the point where i don't even bother ever trying to make plans with anyone on sundays because it's football night and like 95% of people i know truly won't leave their house. american football! it's really terrible and also this isn't even america! what is this city
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Ptommydski

« Reply #2144 on: 19 Mar 2011, 17:36 »

Whitecaps won their first game in the MLS 4-2 against a frankly awful Toronto FC. On the plus side, the pace of the game is decent and the makeshift stadium had twenty thousand people watching, which is half of the battle for a new club. On the down side, Whitecaps have a long way to go before they can compete against the American teams in the MLS. They have some decent flair players but I'm worried about their strikers, who seem more than a little nervous at this level. I assume that will change with time, hopefully before the new stadium is finished in September.

Confusingly, the referee didn't seem entirely sure of the rules at certain points throughout, which made the game a little bit comical at times. I guess the MLS officials are still getting used to the big stage too.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #2145 on: 19 Mar 2011, 18:31 »

The Melbourne Rebels got absolutely hammered by the Queensland Reds in the Super 15 Rugby on Friday night.

Also on Friday night the Canberra Raiders played really badly and really disappointingly and suffered a shock loss to the Brisbane Broncos at home.

And overnight QPR got beaten 0-1 by Doncaster Rovers. I don't even know who the hell Doncaster Rovers are.

Fuckin' weekend, what else have you got for me?!

Ptommydski

« Reply #2146 on: 19 Mar 2011, 18:41 »

QPR actually beat Doncaster today.

:-D

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #2147 on: 19 Mar 2011, 20:03 »

Oh really? Someone's made a mistake on the Guardian website, then.

A mistake! At the Guardian ! Can you believe it?!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2148 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:12 »

blah blah blah new team

On the flipside, I saw Portland Timbers make their MLS debut against defending champs Colorado, and they looked horrid. Great crowd in Denver, though, and a 3-1 win for the Rapids.

And speaking of MLS debuts, Charlie Davies, back from France, scored two goals for DC United.

AND SPEAKING OF MLS, I picked my team. I will be a Revs fan, since they are my local team, and I'll be able to watch all of their games. They kick off the season tonight at Los Angeles.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2149 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:24 »

Yeah, but it seems like they've been lacking in scoring presence since Clint Dempsey left for England a few years back.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76   Go Up