THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 May 2024, 01:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588132 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #2150 on: 21 Mar 2011, 08:49 »

That's cool. Former Liverpool legend Steve Nicol is their manager and former Leeds defender Didier Domi is in their defence too. Should do alright.

You also forgot former Man City player Ousmane Dabo. Who didn't play last night. Nor did Domi. They managed a 1-1 draw in a driving rainstorm in LA.

ETA: In other news, Jonny Evans' pretty shitty tackle on Stu Holden Saturday morning has him out for 6 months. Which is a bit of a blow for the US, not having Holden for the Gold Cup this summer. He's been playing really well in the Premier League this season, and is probably one of my favorite players
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2011, 09:10 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2151 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:38 »

Yeah, it was definitely wrong place, wrong time. I use "shitty" because I really like Holden and it's a shame to see him off the field until next season, as well as missing the Gold Cup.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2152 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:55 »

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2011/03/18/man_u_and_spain_have_foxborough_plans/

Manchester United is slated to begin its summer tour with a match against the Revolution July 14.

against the Revolution

Quote from: me at work 5 minutes ago
omigodomigodomiGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2153 on: 24 Mar 2011, 09:28 »

Alls I know is that Montreal's back in Boston at the end of the month, and I'm anticipating some very bad blood.

This is tonight, hockeyfolk. It's gonna be interesting.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2154 on: 25 Mar 2011, 05:43 »

SEVEN-NIL BOSTON.

SEVEN. Including an ultra rare 5-on-3 shorthanded goal from Greg Campbell.

SEVEN TO ZERO.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2155 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:19 »

Thanks Bruins! That result puts the Rangers two points shy of Montreal. Of course, it could've been one point had NYR not got done by fuckin' Ottawa in the shootout. Fuckin' Ottawa!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2156 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:39 »

And the Rangers are in Boston tomorrow, not to do you guys any favors or anything..

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2157 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:47 »

fffff

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2158 on: 25 Mar 2011, 18:46 »

Welp, I guess I can forget about that "Pekka for Vezina" campaign.

Geez. You know it's bad when one of your two Olympic-hero defensemen kicks the puck into his own net.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2159 on: 25 Mar 2011, 22:22 »

Last night's Melbourne Rebels vs. Wellington Hurricanes Super 15 match was one of the most amazing games of Rugby I've ever been to in my life. The Rebels had been absolutely hammered by Queensland last week, 53-3, and last night when they were down 17-0 to the Hurricanes after only 17 minutes, having been absolutely abysmal in defence, it looked like it was going to be more of the same. But then . . . they started to get some ball. They started to get territory. They started to get a bit of continuity. Their forwards started to assert themselves. They scored a try. And another. And another - and amazingly, at half-time, their English flyhalf Danny Cipriani kicked a penatly goal from near the halfway line to make tie the score up, 20-20.

The half-time break didn't slow them down at all, and they scored three more tries in the second half, never looking back and never taking their foot off the throttle until they had the game well and truly, and unbelievably, won. The Hurricanes scored the last try of the match for a consolation but the final score was 42-25 and nobody could quite believe what had just happened.

Oh, and also? Five years ago when the Super 12 competition expanded to become the Super 14, the Australian Rugby Union showed abject cowardice in rewarding the fourth Australian team to Perth instead of Melbourne, because they were scared of taking on the Australian Football League in Melbourne, its native ground. Since the Super 15 season started a month and a half ago the Rebels have attracted consistenly good crowds - 25,000 for the first game, and then a more representative 15,000 at each subsequent home game. These crowds show what anyone who's lived in Melbourne for any length of time knows: there are thousands of people in this city from places in Australia and overseas where Rugby is the dominant game, and those people want to watch Rugby. They couldn't give a stuff about Australian Football. This weekend is the first weekend of the new Australian Football League season, which is major event, in fact one of the major events, in the Melbourne calendar, there was an AFL game being played at the same time as the Rugby, and at a stadium right next door - and what was the crowd figure at the Rugby? 17,000 - the second-highest of the season.

Magic.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2160 on: 26 Mar 2011, 19:48 »

I hope Shane is watching the Revolution tonight, they are giving Champions DC United a hiding right now.

Maybe he's too busy watching the Bruins get beat aw yeaaahhhh

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2161 on: 27 Mar 2011, 15:21 »

I wanna meet whoever had Butler, VCU and UConn in their Final Four brackets.
Just another Joe like 46

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2162 on: 27 Mar 2011, 23:26 »

I know several people who were very high on UConn, although maybe not Final Four high. I have very little knowledge of college basketball so I don't bother with brackets myself.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2163 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:42 »

I hope Shane is watching the Revolution tonight, they are giving Champions DC United a hiding right now.

Maybe he's too busy watching the Bruins get beat aw yeaaahhhh

Nope, totes forgot about the Bruins. Caught the whole Revs game, as well as a bit of Mexico v. Paraguay. I did see the Bs take down Philly last night, though. Ha, Rob. Ha.

I DVRed the US-Argentina game because I went out Saturday night and haven't watched it yet, so don't tell me who won.

I wanna meet whoever had Butler, VCU and UConn in their Final Four brackets.

According to ESPNews this morning, TWO people had the Final Four. Two.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2164 on: 28 Mar 2011, 10:12 »

I did see the Bs take down Philly last night, though. Ha, Rob. Ha.

Hey, Philly wrapped up a playoff place a couple weeks ago, no need to over-exert.

EDIT: 'Nucks going to wrap up the Presidents Trophy this week though.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2011, 10:14 by the_pied_piper »
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2165 on: 28 Mar 2011, 10:13 »

Always worth gloating when we beat Philly and that stupidass pretty-boy Austrian.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2166 on: 28 Mar 2011, 23:05 »

Opening Day is Thursday awwwwww yeah.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2167 on: 29 Mar 2011, 13:22 »

Opening Day is Thursday awwwwww yeah.

Quote from: Brian Wilson, via Twitter
Opening Day is almost here. I can smell the RAGE in SF waiting to be unleashed.

The Sox open up in Texas on Friday. I'm going to their game against the Jays on the 16th...BASEBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2168 on: 29 Mar 2011, 16:58 »

And all we have here in MKE is a new scoreboard. Sigh.
Just another Joe like 46

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2169 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:09 »

For the record Shane, thanks for getting Gonzalez the fuck out of the NL West. Dude is going to hit like crazy in Fenway considering he was already putting up ridiculous numbers in arguably the most pitcher friendly park in the country.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2170 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:53 »

We got a new videoboard at Fenway. And a revamped concourse.

Bryan, o/. Any time.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2171 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:51 »

OPENING DAY, LADIES AND GENTS!

I celebrated by buying a new hat.

Since I love my old wool Sox 5950 (they don't make them in wool-blend anymore and it's annoying because you can't break/shrink the sizing when you need to) to death and won't give it up until it falls apart, I bought a Giants hat. I fell in love with the Bay Area when I was there in 08, and adopted the Giants as my NL team at the same time.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2172 on: 31 Mar 2011, 14:58 »

The Curse of Rollie Fingers Strikes Again!  :x
Just another Joe like 46

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2173 on: 01 Apr 2011, 23:07 »

Losing two one-run games to the Dodgers is not exactly how I had hoped the title defense would start.

On the other hand, Brandon Belt's pretty cool.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2174 on: 02 Apr 2011, 05:50 »

no thanks, i´d rather watch west ham beat man utd, although it would be very typical of united to win this 3-2

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2175 on: 02 Apr 2011, 06:52 »

Oh well. I really like this West Ham team, it would be a shame if they were to be relegated. On to the Liverpool game, usually I dont care much about games against West Brom but with Hodgson in charge I really hope they destroy them. Fingers crossed for a 3+-0 victory

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2176 on: 02 Apr 2011, 08:17 »

no thanks, i´d rather watch west ham beat man utd, although it would be very typical of united to win this 3-2

Even more likely 4-2. What a show by Rooney in the second half.

Darron Gibson though..I don't get it. What's his purpose?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2177 on: 02 Apr 2011, 08:36 »

what is his strength?

Missing from 25 yards every time he touches the ball. He's probably the best in the world at that.

You know what's funny? I don't think Rooney would be my man of the match. Sure, they had 864 corners in the first half, but nothing seemed to come together until Berbatov was subbed on. He brought a much-needed boost to the team.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2011, 08:38 by valley_parade »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2178 on: 04 Apr 2011, 08:39 »

The Sox are still on pace for my guessed 97 wins. They just have to finish the season 97-62.

Which means START WINNING.

edit: Dski, Revs in Vancouver Wednesday night! We're coming off a draw against Portland over the weekend.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2011, 09:01 by valley_parade »

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2179 on: 04 Apr 2011, 09:46 »

Yeah, I'm not too sure what's going on with the Red Sox.  They've been predicted to have a really great season because of some of their new grabs from the draft, but for some reason, they can not beat the Rangers for the life of them.  Interestingly enough though, the Dodgers are starting out really well in opening week, which is something I hoped for but definitely didn't expect.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2180 on: 04 Apr 2011, 09:49 »

A) Eff the Giants.

B) Bobby Valentine kept cracking fat jokes about Jon Broxton during last night's game and it made me sad because I'm pretty much the same size as that dude.

But then again, Valentine + Hershiser are a TERRIBLE commentary team.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2181 on: 04 Apr 2011, 09:57 »

I love them!  They are just big fat floppy dicks!  I think it's really funny to hear them bicker.  I do know what you mean, though.  They don't really shut up and let the game take you in like a lot of good announcers, and have a tendency to step away from the game while its in fucking progress to talk about some hall of famer from a decade ago.  It gets a little unbearable sometimes.

Dan Shulman is ace, though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2182 on: 04 Apr 2011, 09:58 »

The fact that they were too busy talking about skiing to notice a balk...I mean, when the Sox announcers get off and just giggle for 10 minutes..at least Donny O can mumble something about the count or what's going on mid-giggle.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2183 on: 04 Apr 2011, 19:32 »

Meanwhile, we're eying the panic button in Brewtown. Last time we lost four straight at the start of the season, we finished dead last in the division.
Just another Joe like 46

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2184 on: 05 Apr 2011, 04:38 »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2185 on: 05 Apr 2011, 11:38 »

Oh jesus christ, mind slip. I meant the Dodgers, Bryan!

Actually, my Giants cap came in the mail today. It's strange looking in the mirror and not seeing a B on my cap, but hey, they're my NL team, I'll learn to love it.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2186 on: 05 Apr 2011, 12:16 »

Hey, fuck you pal.  Just because your team has a Series hangover don't start ragging on a legitimate team, bro.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2187 on: 05 Apr 2011, 12:58 »

Having a great announcer doesn't make a team legit.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2188 on: 05 Apr 2011, 13:02 »

A 3-1 series opening week against heated rivals who've just won a series does, however!

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2189 on: 05 Apr 2011, 13:03 »

But hey wait, are you a Boston fan as well?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2190 on: 05 Apr 2011, 13:17 »

I'm a Boston fan first and foremost. I went to a wedding in the Bay Area a few years back, fell in love with SF, and adopted the Giants as my NL team.

edit: It also helps that they've now got a few former Red Sox. Freddy Sanchez, Guillermo Mota, Javy Lopez and one of our old Ramon Ramirezes (there were two at one point last year..)

In soccer news, Madrid just went up 2-0 on Spurs. I'm afraid my friend Joe might be suicidal tonight as a result.

double edit: At one point in time, the Sox had on their 25-man roster both Javier Lopez the catcher, and Javier Lopez the pitcher. Sadly, they were never an in-game battery. That would have been amazing.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2011, 05:52 by valley_parade »

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2191 on: 05 Apr 2011, 14:29 »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2192 on: 05 Apr 2011, 14:51 »

I'm biased towards both Rooney and Berbatov...but that's incredible. On the volley from THAT far out?!

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2193 on: 05 Apr 2011, 16:00 »

Well, that's good.  I myself like the Red Sox a good deal.  They're my team in that league.  It just so happens that our picks in the other league are heated rivals.  So Go Sox and also fuck you, I guess.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2011, 20:24 by WriterofAllWrongs »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2194 on: 05 Apr 2011, 21:35 »

A 3-1 series opening week against heated rivals who've just won a series does, however!

Sample size, my friend. The Orioles aren't going to be leading the AL East all season either.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2195 on: 05 Apr 2011, 21:46 »

Tell that to all of us Brewers fans who are about ready to cut bait over our 1-4 start.
Just another Joe like 46

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2196 on: 05 Apr 2011, 22:04 »

Sample size, my friend. The Orioles aren't going to be leading the AL East all season either.

All I'm saying is that the Dodgers are a legitimately good team.  They have a solid game, and are ready for a new season.  I was impressed by their opening week series, so I'm hoping they keep on going like they have been and at least perform admirably for the rest of the season.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2197 on: 05 Apr 2011, 23:52 »

And they've got a pair of owners who a.) hate each other's guts, and b.) are rather bat-guano insane at the moment.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2198 on: 06 Apr 2011, 11:12 »

Park and Valencia can be a very dangerous duo. I hope it works.

edit: what. fucking what.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2011, 12:11 by valley_parade »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2199 on: 07 Apr 2011, 05:40 »

Tommydski: better MLS reporting than ESPN and Comcast Sportsnet combined.

(I went to bed after the first half. Too tired to stay up until midnight.)

Also, just to one up you: I saw the first MLS game. Evers. San Jose (which is now Houston Dynamo) beat DC United 1-0 on a lovely little strike from Eric Wynalda.

ediiiiiiiiit:

Hey Rob, looks like you've got a new owner buddy: Lebron James.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/lebron-james-teaming-up-with-fenway-sports-management-to-expand-sports-marketing-opportunities.html
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2011, 07:16 by valley_parade »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76   Go Up