THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 22:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588111 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #3000 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:52 »

Fabian Brunnstrom. 17 goals in his first season, 2 the rest of his NHL career.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3001 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:27 »

idk man. kid told Ottawa what's up less than a minute into the game yesterday.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3002 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:24 »

He was injured against Ottawa, I see. Wonder what will happen when SJ goes to Colorado. I hear there's this guy out there that likes to headhunt promising rookies.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3003 on: 13 Oct 2013, 13:01 »

yeah, people have been beating on him something fierce. I don't think that's gonna stop him though. meanwhile, Tommy Wingels looks like Walt Jr from Breaking Bad

Daaaad, stop mething around!

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #3004 on: 19 Oct 2013, 19:32 »

I have no idea why the NFL plays exhibition matches in England. Literally no clue. England has never cared about American football. Ever. Probably never will. It is a shit sport compared to Way More Badass rugby.

So, London had a World League/NFL Europe team for like, a decade. Not to mention that every year the NFL has this game in London, they sell out Wembley, and they sell it out rather fast for what usually ends up being two shitty teams.

Does Ryan still come around here at all? He used to play for a team in the top British league. Let him explain England's fascination with football in better detail.

How did I miss this? American football is still a pretty niche market over here, mostly due to ignorance and misconceptions concerning the sport, but I think the main reason England gets a game is because we're the English speaking connection between America and Europe. Whilst support in England itself is small, there's not a bad following of the sport through the continent, and at the games you'll find people have come from all across Europe to watch the two teams play. It's a hell of sight because there's no predominantly supported team over here, so everyone just wears the jersey of the team they support regardless of who's playing, resulting in a patchwork sea of supporters littering the crowd.

Plus the last time I went I got unlimited beer and chicken wings, which was rad.

On a related note it's always been entertaining for me arguing with people which sport is "manlier", rugby or American football, as I'm one of the minority here that's played both. Everyone here will defend rugby and pass American football off as a wuss sport until I invite them to pad up for a practice session.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3005 on: 19 Oct 2013, 20:25 »

I read an article a couple weeks ago that claimed Europeans have a better understanding of American Football these days because they've played the video games.

I've also noticed that an entire generation has come of age not knowing a time when hockey in the south was a novelty.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #3006 on: 20 Oct 2013, 08:58 »

I watched a really interesting documentary about Southern Methodist University, the only college football team to ever receive the "death penalty" from the NCAA.

I have rather strong opinions on the fact that another university didn't receive that same punishment, but that's probably more of a DISCUSS topic.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3007 on: 20 Oct 2013, 10:25 »

Ah, Southern Methodist University. The Best College Football Team Money Could Buy.
Just another Joe like 46

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3008 on: 20 Oct 2013, 11:47 »

I've also noticed that an entire generation has come of age not knowing a time when hockey in the south was a novelty.

In nearly 10 years of living in North Carolina I've only been to one Hurricanes game, and I know of no school or local/kids leagues. Still feels novelty-ish to me.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3009 on: 20 Oct 2013, 11:57 »

I have no idea why the NFL plays exhibition matches in England. Literally no clue. England has never cared about American football. Ever. Probably never will. It is a shit sport compared to Way More Badass rugby.

Those aren't exhibition games, they are regular season games that count fully for and against teams. One of the teams loses one of their eight regular home game to act as the "home" team for the London game.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3010 on: 21 Oct 2013, 23:51 »

I realize that, but it's still obviously just to show England what Murca's all about.

PS hockey folks, I know Hertl isn't scoring much lately, but he's making good plays still. and how about that goddamn killer shootout save by Niemi tonight, and how's about undefeated in reg? fuck yeah, this Sharks fan is real proud lately.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3011 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:21 »

Ryan is up to 6 goals, and the Sens handled facing Alfie quite well.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3012 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:33 »

@Jay_Grossman
#Preds G Pekka Rinne to see Drs. this AM, more clarity on his situation later today

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3013 on: 24 Oct 2013, 09:23 »

I realize that, but it's still obviously just to show England what Murca's all about.

PS hockey folks, I know Hertl isn't scoring much lately, but he's making good plays still. and how about that goddamn killer shootout save by Niemi tonight, and how's about undefeated in reg? fuck yeah, this Sharks fan is real proud lately.

The first couple of times it was, but now that next year they plan on putting several games on over there it's all about getting a whole franchise over there. The timing fits with the Jacksonville franchise struggling with attendence and coming on their 20th season it's allow the team to break their lease and move to a new market.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3014 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:19 »

so then every team's gonna have to fly halfway around the world for one day? sounds... efficient.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3015 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:24 »

so then every team's gonna have to fly halfway around the world for one day? sounds... efficient.

That's what is going to be figured out next year when three games are played in London. They only play eight regular season home games per year plus two preseason games and games are normally on Sunday, so it is logistically doable. Teams cross the US frequently, so travelling that far is nothing new to teams especially if they hold up the tradition of giving a bye week where they don't play the next week to the travelling team.

The Oakland Raiders will be playing as host next year for one of the games, that's one of the longest distances any team could travel giving the league a real idea how the travel will impact teams.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3016 on: 24 Oct 2013, 13:41 »

The five-hour difference is only a bit worse than Oakland coming to New England for a game.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3017 on: 25 Oct 2013, 13:19 »

I don't think you're taking flight time into account, and only accounting for the time zone difference. A flight from SFO (nobody flies to London from OAK) to LHR is gonna be around 11 hours. That's gonna total to a full day's worth of time where they can't train or do anything else useful.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3018 on: 25 Oct 2013, 13:21 »

PS congrats to the Bruins for unseating the only team undefeated in reg last night. I wasn't terribly upset that my Sharks lost to the Bruins, but that the Bruins beat the clock by 0.8s and kept us from at least earning a point. Plus, holding onto that "undefeated in reg" title another couple days at least woulda been nice.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3019 on: 25 Oct 2013, 21:02 »

If the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors can occasionally play an east coast game, I guess the trans-Atlantic logistics aren't so terrible.

Thats from a state that doesn't observe daylight savings time mind you.

An 11-hour flight calls for an 11-hour film session!

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3020 on: 25 Oct 2013, 22:47 »

I don't think you're taking flight time into account, and only accounting for the time zone difference. A flight from SFO (nobody flies to London from OAK) to LHR is gonna be around 11 hours. That's gonna total to a full day's worth of time where they can't train or do anything else useful.

They charter all their flights, that way they have control over the departures and arrivals. London-Oakland would be a direct flight with bye week after for the west coast teams. Teams would operate as they do for back to back opposite coast games- they would go east, have a game, then go on to London. They would recover as they normally do with a direct flight back to the west coast. The week on the east coast would be spent planning, recovering, and practicing at a rented facility. This is done whenever an east or west coast team has back to back games on the opposite coast, it's simply easier for them.

The trip is only going to be made every six to eight years for 28 of the 31 other teams, barring playoff matchups.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3021 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:05 »

Go Buckeyes!

Fuck Penn State and the fact that the NCAA didn't Southern Methodist their football program.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3022 on: 26 Oct 2013, 20:12 »

So before the game one of my co-workers told me that Ohio State was supposedly on "upset watch."

It's now 63-7, so LOLOLOLOLOL.

And the Buckeyes just got a touchdown. I'm glad that they've decided to continue running up the score, fuck Penn State. Here's hoping they break 70.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3023 on: 27 Oct 2013, 13:12 »

So before the game one of my co-workers told me that Ohio State was supposedly on "upset watch."

It's now 63-7, so LOLOLOLOLOL.

And the Buckeyes just got a touchdown. I'm glad that they've decided to continue running up the score, fuck Penn State. Here's hoping they break 70.

One thing I always hated about the Buckeys...other than the insistance that the word "THE" is somehow important to the entire name of a university...is they always manage to make you look like an idiot for predicting they would lose. They don't lose when you want them to lose. They don't lose when your predict them to lose.  :cry:

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3024 on: 27 Oct 2013, 13:15 »

Instant replay in baseball can't come soon enough. The hell with the "tradition" of blindness, bad calls, moronic bowing to the crew chief's word when all evidence is to the contrary: they need to institute it.  :oops: :x

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3025 on: 27 Oct 2013, 16:38 »

what, baseball isn't long enough for you?

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3026 on: 27 Oct 2013, 17:51 »

Instant replay in baseball can't come soon enough. The hell with the "tradition" of blindness, bad calls, moronic bowing to the crew chief's word when all evidence is to the contrary: they need to institute it.  :oops: :x

Yeah, but at least they got that obstruction call right in game 3.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3027 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:37 »

It might be "right" in the literal sense but on replay you could see he didn't interfere directly and with intent to slow down the runner- it was wrong place, wrong time. But that won't change the outcome anymore and the win last night put that to rest for the time being...but it's not the only play this fall that has been the subject of debate about the usage.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3028 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:40 »

what, baseball isn't long enough for you?

The game isn't the problem when it comes to time, it's the commercial breaks the league and the networks insist on forcing into the games.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3029 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:21 »

It also doesn't help that there are more in-game delays than ever before (stepping out of the box, stepping off the mound, throws over to first, etc.).
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3030 on: 28 Oct 2013, 16:02 »

It also doesn't help that there are more in-game delays than ever before (stepping out of the box, stepping off the mound, throws over to first, etc.).

That's part of the game, the throws especially given last night's game ended thanks to a stepping off the mount and throwing to first. The stepping out of the box should be clamped down on as well as taking a long time between pitches but they aren't going to go toe to toe with the divas of the league over that. And compared iwth the commercial breaks, the obligatory singing on camera of "God Bless America"(done off camera during regular season) it addes another 20 minutes or more to the games.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3031 on: 28 Oct 2013, 16:41 »

No, the constant throws over aren't part of the game. If you've ever watched vintage footage from the 1960's, pitchers worked much faster and batters didn't step out of the box as much as they do now.
Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3032 on: 28 Oct 2013, 18:40 »

It might be "right" in the literal sense but on replay you could see he didn't interfere directly and with intent to slow down the runner- it was wrong place, wrong time. But that won't change the outcome anymore and the win last night put that to rest for the time being...but it's not the only play this fall that has been the subject of debate about the usage.

Quote from: MLB Rulebook
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

Absent is the word "intentional."  Obstruction is obstruction whether it's accidental or not.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3033 on: 28 Oct 2013, 18:49 »

As my Red Sox are in the world series, and tonight is probably the final game... I'd just like to take a moment and post the following.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3034 on: 28 Oct 2013, 19:58 »

How could tonight be the final game.  The series was tied 2-2 going into Game 5 (of 7); there must be a game 6 no matter who wins.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3035 on: 28 Oct 2013, 20:34 »

I thought it was game six for some reason XD
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3036 on: 28 Oct 2013, 20:50 »

Quote from: MLB Rulebook
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

Absent is the word "intentional."  Obstruction is obstruction whether it's accidental or not.

The key words there are "in the act of fielding", which he actually was and was thanks to the this act in the line of the runner through no fault of the fielder. This would have been revealed in the replay, he on the ground still in motion from the fall when the runner jumped over him.

But like I said, it'll open the door for the usage to come. There is no longer any argument that it wouldn't be helpful, there are enough incidents this postseason let alone the season as a whole to put it in place permanently.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3037 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:30 »

If we'd had video replay, there would have been TWO triple plays in world series history.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3038 on: 29 Oct 2013, 11:09 »

If we'd had video replay, there would have been TWO triple plays in world series history.

Maybe, but the justification is there. This isn't like the whole "play until it's over" weather suspension argument from 2008, just because it is "tradition" is no longer an excuse especially when it has actually affected the outcome of a game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3039 on: 30 Oct 2013, 09:05 »

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3040 on: 30 Oct 2013, 14:51 »

The excuses for bad play tonight are piling up, with a major one being the plane troubles. But you would be whiney too if you were stuck with your kids for six hours, on a chartered plane, in first class, with plenty of food and liquor and entertainment availible...

On second thought, there isn't a reason to whine. They got in late, but they weren't exactly at a loss for confort  :x

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3041 on: 30 Oct 2013, 19:08 »

At the start of the season, the Browns were on track to have one of their most promising seasons in decades. Now it's in the shitter. Maybe it's a Trent Richardson curse. Or maybe Cleveland is just destined for permanent failure at almost everything.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3042 on: 30 Oct 2013, 19:49 »

Man. What the hell St. Louis? Not that I'm upset at all about them giving us game six and the first Fenway World Series clincher in just shy of a century, but fuck man. At least fight for it.

Edit before I posted: Awww shit! St. Louis put one up in the top of the seventh! We might actually have a game! Or not. Change over. Two innings, let's see what happens.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3043 on: 30 Oct 2013, 21:51 »

Game 6 done, series won....let the rioting in the colleges by people who aren't really fans, aren't from the region, and just want to destroy stuff begin. :roll:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3044 on: 31 Oct 2013, 07:15 »

I am disappointed at the Murphys on that one. Everyone knows it's, "Tessie, You know I love you mad-lyyyyyy...."
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3045 on: 01 Nov 2013, 22:24 »

I don't know why but the Sharks just can't win in overtime except in Detroit.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3046 on: 02 Nov 2013, 05:36 »

I'd ask if someone could explain what the heck happened in Philly last night - but I'm not quite sure I want to know.

Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3047 on: 02 Nov 2013, 07:34 »

Ray Emery charged the length of the ice during a line brawl, told Holtby to throw down, and when Holtby refused, Emery just started pounding on him.

Absolute garbage. This season's getting way out of hand already.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3048 on: 02 Nov 2013, 14:25 »

I am disappointed at the Murphys on that one. Everyone knows it's, "Tessie, You know I love you mad-lyyyyyy...."

Tessie got her payback in the form of getting the truck stuck in the grass during th evictory parde so next time maybe they won't screw up  :-D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3049 on: 02 Nov 2013, 15:58 »

There was so much wrong in that fight in Philadelphia.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76   Go Up