THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 19:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 588072 times)

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #3100 on: 08 Dec 2013, 12:57 »

Damn, low hit pretty much ends New England's chances of a deep playoff run before they started. Cleveland is tough and underappreciated, and give them a weakness they will exploit it.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3101 on: 08 Dec 2013, 18:44 »

Now this is my idea of football weather!

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3102 on: 08 Dec 2013, 18:50 »

I played in that weather a couple of times, it ain't fun!!!!  :psyduck:
Then again I was standing on the sidelines the whole game, had to warm up in slush, rocks, and mud, only got indoors at halftime so maybe my recollections aren't exactly the rosiest of memories  :cry:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3103 on: 14 Dec 2013, 16:10 »

The Military Classic was today with Army and Navy going head to head in their 114th game, a hotly anticipated ritual slaughter of the West Point Black Knights now entering it's... I wanna say 13th straight year since Army's done anything continued with Navy taking home a 34-7 victory AND the coveted Commander and Chief's Trophy for another couple years in a row now.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3104 on: 14 Dec 2013, 18:30 »

...and they now go on to get their butts kicked by the MTSU Raiders in the Military Bowl.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3105 on: 14 Dec 2013, 19:17 »

Doubt it. Land lubbers are gonna have to walk back to Tennessee.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3106 on: 14 Dec 2013, 20:58 »

...and they now go on to get their butts kicked by the MTSU Raiders in the Military Bowl.

They face off in the Armed Forces Bowl, completely different bowl game from the Military Bowl(Maryland vs. Marshall in that one)...

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #3107 on: 15 Dec 2013, 18:27 »

One of the historic games in the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry is the Snow Bowl. A game where the weather so bad that the teams would regularly punt it before 4th down.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3108 on: 15 Dec 2013, 19:37 »

I played in that weather a couple of times, it ain't fun!!!!  :psyduck:
Then again I was standing on the sidelines the whole game, had to warm up in slush, rocks, and mud, only got indoors at halftime so maybe my recollections aren't exactly the rosiest of memories  :cry:
I always enjoyed football games in that kind of weather when I was in high school, but that could have been because I was in the band and we wore very warm wool uniforms.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3109 on: 15 Dec 2013, 19:41 »

Just watched the highlights of the Browns-Bears game.

No one can blow a lead quite like the Cleveland Browns.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3110 on: 16 Dec 2013, 07:03 »

Unless you wear a star on the side of your helmet and the word "ROMO" on your back.
Just another Joe like 46

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3111 on: 16 Dec 2013, 07:23 »

Romo really knows how to Romo when Romo-ing is called for, huh?

I so want this to be a common usage verb.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3112 on: 16 Dec 2013, 17:48 »

This is one of the best things ever.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3113 on: 16 Dec 2013, 17:52 »

Release Greg Little made me laugh my Irish ass off.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3114 on: 16 Dec 2013, 18:18 »

For the eighth time in the last nine years, the Stagg Bowl (NCAA Division III Men's Football Championship) will be All Purple.

The defending D3 champions, the University of Mount Union Purple Raiders, will face off with the University of Wisconsin Whitewater Warhawks (school colors: purple and white) in Stagg Bowl XLI, at Salem, Virginia.

The two teams are 1-2 in number of Stagg Bowl appearances, with Mount Union making their 17th appearance. Whitewater is second with this, their 8th appearance.

A victory by my alma mater, UWW, would put them in second place for most Stagg wins, with 5 - all against Mount Union, who has the D3 record with 11.
Just another Joe like 46

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3115 on: 16 Dec 2013, 23:13 »

Romo really knows how to Romo when Romo-ing is called for, huh?

I so want this to be a common usage verb.

Heard a blip on ESPN that Romo is currently the leader in throwing interceptions while his team leads by a touchdown or less.

I'm more interested in Lenoir-Rhyne, a school I nearly went to, being in the D-II Championship. Although I was rooting for Winston-Salem State.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3116 on: 17 Dec 2013, 01:52 »

My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3117 on: 17 Dec 2013, 02:29 »

You are a factory of sadness!
My Art.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3118 on: 20 Dec 2013, 19:21 »

In the last six years, the University of Mount Union has lost a grand total of five games.

All five of those losses were to one team, and one team only.

Tonight was their fifth loss. And as a result, my alma mater has their fifth NCAA Division III Championship in Football in the last six years.

WARHAWKS!
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #3119 on: 28 Dec 2013, 12:58 »

It was nice for ND to win a bowl game for a change. The season ended on a high note, right?

I do appreciate these US early afternoon games. Prime time here.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3120 on: 29 Dec 2013, 16:38 »

Oh fucking Hel's heels! Did any of you see the Silva/Weidman fight? Holy crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SCliMszoDg

TRIGGER WARNING. I AM NOT EMBEDDING THIS VIDEO FOR A REASON ODINSBEARDLEGSARENOTSUPPOSEDTOBENDTHATWAY

Ah in short. Silva delivered a low kick to Weidman and broke his tibia (as in SHATTERED ON IMPACT) on Chris Weidman.

Sympathy from a fellow tibia fucker upper aside. I can't help but think that of the two fighters, we know who's been drinking his milk.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3121 on: 29 Dec 2013, 17:59 »

That makes the Joe Thiesman leg snap look tame by comparison...

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3122 on: 29 Dec 2013, 20:55 »

The Browns didn't even wait until Black Monday to shitcan Chudzinski - http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/cleveland_browns_head_coach_ro_1.html

That's 5 coaches in under 10 years, folks. And I have to agree with what I heard on the ESPN commentary, what quality coach is going to touch this job with a ten foot pole now if they're expected to turn around decades of losing in one season?

I think the early-season winning streak was reason enough to give this coach more time.

Only very slightly related but I heard "FirstEnergy Stadium" on ESPN and felt like tangent-ing - When I was growing up in Cleveland, none of the major league stadiums had stupid corporate sponsor names. Now they all do. This upsets me. They will always be Gund Arena, Jacobs Field, and Cleveland Browns Stadium to me.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2013, 21:08 by 94ssd »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3123 on: 30 Dec 2013, 00:43 »

none of the major league stadiums had stupid corporate sponsor names. Now they all do. This upsets me.

Modern life...   Even one of the colleges of Oxford University has gone that way (Manchester College is now Harris Manchester College, named for a carpet tycoon who saved it with a donation).  This is not quite the same as being named after a founder, like Nuffield College (after Lord Nuffield, the creator of Morris Motors, the company that made the Mini).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3124 on: 30 Dec 2013, 02:10 »

Orton = Romo.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
My Art.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3125 on: 30 Dec 2013, 06:58 »

Yep. The Bears, as an example, still suck.
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3126 on: 30 Dec 2013, 07:32 »

Amazing the amount of drooling going on over Peyton Manning and records, none of which mentioned his play in Denver being assisted by the thin air or lackluster division or easier schedule. But why let those get in the way of the fantasies of him being a living legend despite a lack of rings, a long track record of being a horrible teammate, and finding ways of losing then blaming his teammates for screwing up his own screw ups...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3127 on: 30 Dec 2013, 10:03 »

Da Bears got a rightous whooping from the Pack for the NFC Championship. Heeeeeell yeah.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3128 on: 30 Dec 2013, 14:59 »

none of the major league stadiums had stupid corporate sponsor names. Now they all do. This upsets me.

Modern life...   Even one of the colleges of Oxford University has gone that way (Manchester College is now Harris Manchester College, named for a carpet tycoon who saved it with a donation).  This is not quite the same as being named after a founder, like Nuffield College (after Lord Nuffield, the creator of Morris Motors, the company that made the Mini).

UNC-Chapel Hill has an academic building called the "FedEx Global Learning Center" or somefink. I'd have a really hard time taking a class held in the "FedEx Center" seriously.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3129 on: 31 Dec 2013, 14:41 »

Amazing the amount of drooling going on over Peyton Manning and records, none of which mentioned his play in Denver being assisted by the thin air or lackluster division or easier schedule. But why let those get in the way of the fantasies of him being a living legend despite a lack of rings, a long track record of being a horrible teammate, and finding ways of losing then blaming his teammates for screwing up his own screw ups...
As a fan of european soccer, I find out obsession with playoff success to be a bit silly.

Besides, do you feel Elway was overrated, too?

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3130 on: 31 Dec 2013, 16:10 »

As a fan of european soccer, I find out obsession with playoff success to be a bit silly.

Besides, do you feel Elway was overrated, too?

No. I didn't find him overrated at all. In fact I would put him as being underrated compared with the other QBs of his timeframe.

If you want a comparison then he is this time's Breese in that he is highly successful during the regular season but keeps falling short due to missing pieces on his teams and due to actions that are no fault of his own.

Brady is this time's Montana in that he is highly successful in the playoffs and regular season.

Manning is this time's Dan  Marino- highly successful in the regular season but can't get things together in the playoffs and not afraid to be a jerk.

But take my rankings with a grain of salt, I'm a New England fan so I have had to put up with the fake love and false comparisons for years due to rivalry...

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3131 on: 31 Dec 2013, 16:47 »

Hey, I agree with you!

... must be a patriot thing ...
My Art.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3132 on: 31 Dec 2013, 17:24 »

Welp, I'm sure some of our membership here has heard about the rumors swirling around up here in the Tundra.

I want to make one thing perfectly clear: Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback. He has led - and is more than capable of leading again - the Packers to the Super Bowl. He is also a great humanitarian who does great work for charities and is a truly funny guy.

I don't give one flying flip about his sexual preferences or what he does in his time away from the game - as long as it doesn't prevent him from playing football for the Green Bay Packers.

Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3133 on: 31 Dec 2013, 17:42 »

Welp, I'm sure some of our membership here has heard about the rumors swirling around up here in the Tundra.

I want to make one thing perfectly clear: Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback. He has led - and is more than capable of leading again - the Packers to the Super Bowl. He is also a great humanitarian who does great work for charities and is a truly funny guy.

I don't give one flying flip about his sexual preferences or what he does in his time away from the game - as long as it doesn't prevent him from playing football for the Green Bay Packers.

If my Patriots didn't have Tom Brady I would want him on my team leading the way. The man plays tough, plays hard, and plays injured and give him better management and coaching and give him back his years that he was held back by a prim donna jackass he might be even better than Breese.

He's the solid #4 behind Brady, Manning, and Breese in my book. And is a large distance ahead of the 2nd tier guys Rivers, E. Manning, and the younger crop.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3135 on: 01 Jan 2014, 11:42 »

Something worth noting...a map showing what the most widely played game in the world is called in each country.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3136 on: 01 Jan 2014, 14:58 »

And the Aussies and Irish are already crying, "NO! WE CALL IT FOOTBALL!"

In other news, we're already off to a wonderful start in Wisconsin sports for 2014. UW loses to the Gamecocks in the "Consolation Bowl", while news out of Lambeau is that the game might not be a sellout on Saturday.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3137 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:04 »

I call it soccer, to distinguish it from other forms of football such as rugger.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #3138 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:11 »

"Stand up, if you love the darts!"

I was hoping that "Snakebite" Wright would kick Mighty Mike's ass, but it was not meant to be. Van Gerwen was just a bit too good, and won the final 7 sets to 4. A good show nevertheless.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2014, 00:05 by Skewbrow »

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3139 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:12 »

I find the lack of darts in this thread... disturbing.

Have some Phil Taylor.

And then Skewbrow goes and screws up my whole point. But I agree with you, I was routing for Wright the whole time. When he was leading the 11th set with 2-1 I really thought he could come back, but oh well. I don't like van Gerwen much, but he's a truly excellent player and proved it once again.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3140 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:22 »

Sorry, seeing guys aiming for the triple-20 constantly gets tedious after a while.
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3141 on: 01 Jan 2014, 16:16 »

Sorry, seeing guys aiming for the triple-20 constantly gets tedious after a while.

Put them in the same category as the folks who play poker, video games, and eat as sports. Nice to see for a little bit but eventually the fun gets old quick...

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3142 on: 01 Jan 2014, 22:25 »

And the Aussies and Irish are already crying, "NO! WE CALL IT FOOTBALL!"

In other news, we're already off to a wonderful start in Wisconsin sports for 2014. UW loses to the Gamecocks in the "Consolation Bowl", while news out of Lambeau is that the game might not be a sellout on Saturday.

Packers aren't the only team having trouble.  The Colts and Bengals haven't sold out either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-alarmed-three-four-playoff-games-including-green-213137570--nfl.html

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3143 on: 01 Jan 2014, 22:28 »

Economic reality bites the NFL. There comes a point in time when a company that thinks they can print money runs out of ink.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #3144 on: 02 Jan 2014, 00:16 »

Well, the finishing phase of a leg produces a lot of variety. Unlike in certain other sport where nine dudes take turns trying to simply hit the ball out of the park as opposed to aiming at specific varying targets :-D

Darts does need the technology to be a spectator sport. The crowd couldn't see much without the live action shown also on a large screen (presumably there was one in Alexandra Palace).

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3145 on: 02 Jan 2014, 01:16 »

Seeing how insane the crowd was most of the time, I think we can assume there was one.

94ssd

• Hadouken

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3147 on: 02 Jan 2014, 10:26 »

Packers aren't the only team having trouble.  The Colts and Bengals haven't sold out either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-alarmed-three-four-playoff-games-including-green-213137570--nfl.html

These two aren't as surprising as the Packers not selling out...smaller market teams without bigger name stars are going to have trouble selling out.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3148 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:38 »

There are a lot of factors that have gone into the lack of sales for the Wild Card game.

First of all, I think about 90% of the state of Wisconsin thought that the Packers would not make the playoffs this year, thanks to Aaron Rodgers being hurt. This was somewhat of a surprise. People made other plans, and thus there aren't as many people who can get off on short notice, right after the holidays, to attend a football game (even if it IS the Packers).

Secondly, despite my boss's attempt to put a happy face on it, the economy in this state sucks. And, thanks to his decision to not participate in Obamacare, there are still a lot of people who don't have economic certainty for 2014. This also ties in to the first reason, as people really can't afford to take a weekend date off from work. And people sure as heck can't afford a $150 single ticket - not after the money they've spent on the holidays.

Thirdly.... well, there's this. Yeah, you saw that right: -5°F, with temps slated to drop down to -20 (which is cold even by our standards up here).

It's a perfect storm of reasons not to attend a game.

Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3149 on: 03 Jan 2014, 11:07 »

94ssd, that should be on Reuters, not the Onion.

so what you're saying is, gay or not, he's still a... Packer?  :mrgreen:
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76   Go Up