THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 12:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There Can Be Only One: Who wins the FRIEEENNNDDSSS battle?

Pintsize
- 1 (1%)
Mieville
- 8 (8.1%)
Hannelore
- 42 (42.4%)
Dora
- 2 (2%)
Yelling Bird
- 28 (28.3%)
Faye
- 9 (9.1%)
Mr. Rogers in a bloodstained sweater
- 9 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: Jan 25-29, 2010  (Read 64260 times)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCT: Jan 25-29, 2010
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:44 »

I love Hanner's childlike curiosity. She seems so confused but intrigued by sex.
I can see it now:

Hanners gets doped up on anti-OCD meds and asks Dora for some hands-on training with the "purple one."  Faye walks in unaware of the activity and sees what's going on.  Shocked, she does a 180 and tries to run out, but misses the door and bounces her head off the side of the door frame, knocking herself out cold as she stumbles back and falls to the floor.  Marty, wondering what the commotion is, comes running in.  He sees Hanners and Dora and is struck with the "Omg lesbian sex!" mindset as he trips over Faye's inert form, knocking his head on one of her kneecaps in his dazed fall, putting himself out as well and in a sort of compromised position with Faye.

Dora turns to Hanners with a most mischievous gleam in her eye, then back to Faye and Marty as she turns up the dial setting and moves in...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #101 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:59 »

Anyone who's ever been an adolescent can relate to Hanners. She's 22 but hasn't had the chance to get normal life experience.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #102 on: 27 Jan 2010, 17:46 »

You mean some people get to skip that? Bastards!
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

westrim

« Reply #103 on: 27 Jan 2010, 18:52 »

You mean some people get to skip that? Bastards!
Yeah, they're called child soldiers and 12 year olds who lost their parents but have 3 younger siblings and stuff like that.

Well, that killed the mood.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #104 on: 27 Jan 2010, 19:08 »

I love Hanner's childlike curiosity. She seems so confused but intrigued by sex.
I can see it now:

Hanners gets doped up on anti-OCD meds and asks Dora for some hands-on training with the "purple one."  Faye walks in unaware of the activity and sees what's going on.  Shocked, she does a 180 and tries to run out, but misses the door and bounces her head off the side of the door frame, knocking herself out cold as she stumbles back and falls to the floor.  Marty, wondering what the commotion is, comes running in.  He sees Hanners and Dora and is struck with the "Omg lesbian sex!" mindset as he trips over Faye's inert form, knocking his head on one of her kneecaps in his dazed fall, putting himself out as well and in a sort of compromised position with Faye.

Dora turns to Hanners with a most mischievous gleam in her eye, then back to Faye and Marty as she turns up the dial setting and moves in...

Do you have a newsletter? 

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #105 on: 27 Jan 2010, 20:28 »

Run... *gasp*...the mob is coming....*collapse*

Coming?  They're not even breathing hard.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #106 on: 28 Jan 2010, 01:34 »

Perhaps Steve requisitioned the mysterious truck from the DoKYA motor pool (don't touch the big red, molly-guarded button on the gear-shift!).

Which brings me to the next point. Just how big is the flat that Faye and Martin and Dora are going to be sharing? I mean, haven't they already got a sofa? Is there room for two? Or is Dora's sofa nicer and they're going to replace the old one (heaven knows what Pintsize has stashed behind the cushions)?

And Hanners' "stunned mullet"* expression is classic.

* Like a stunned mullet: Colloquial a. in complete bewilderment or astonishment b. in a state of inertia (Macquarie Dictionary)
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2010, 01:40 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #107 on: 28 Jan 2010, 01:36 »

Great. Now I'm imagining what Hanners would look like with a mullet.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #108 on: 28 Jan 2010, 01:49 »

Marten's such a lightweight, a summer breeze gave him a blackeye.
Marten's so wimpy, he was KO'd by an ant.  
Marten has no true heartbeat; as his weak-ass heart was removed and replaced with Daft Punk beats.
There are 15 little schoolgirls right now who have Marten listed on their cellphone contacts as 'The Bitch'.  
Marten's the first object known to science which exerts negative motional force on other objects.
Marten once tried to play a sport.  That sport was chess.  He collapsed on the fifth move.
Marten has twice been misidentified as the Slender Man.
Marten once tried to play a game of tiddlywinks and was laid up for three weeks.
Marten bought a pull-up bar, and installed it on the floor.
Finally, care should be taken, as looking directly at Marten causes bruising.  
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2010, 01:52 by Tuitsuro »

lhasafi

• Plantmonster
  • Looking for a recipe for yelling-bird stew
« Reply #109 on: 28 Jan 2010, 02:16 »

Hanners' expression speaks volumes. We can only guess what Dora told her but it was probably quite graphic - on Hannerscale, at least. After that, she clearly needs a hug - although I can't really decide who'd be the suitable person to hug her. Not Dora, that's for sure.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #110 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:18 »

Somehhow I'm thinking that a hug will definitely put Hanners over the edge for a while.

Friends - when you need them to be brutally in your face honest.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

epitomynut

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #111 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:49 »

To be honest, form experience, I can say couches aren't that heavy. Awkward, yes, but not that heavy. If Dora and Martin knew what they were doing, the two of them could move the couch on their own, without Steve's help. Now a sofa bed... don't get me started on those demonspawn.

jonarus_drakus

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #112 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:59 »

I just had to move a sofa-bed today and if anything "deamonspawn" is an understatement... the new computer desk was worse though...

Hanners has gone 'big eye' mode! Soooo cute! > Kugai, I'll let you run with this one  :wink:

JD
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #113 on: 28 Jan 2010, 06:23 »

LOL funny comic today.

I totally forgot that Marten was expected to be a total whimp.

Hanners: Well, one could put her into her full body suit. Then you can probably hug her with no problem, I guess ?

Carpe Diem

lhasafi

• Plantmonster
  • Looking for a recipe for yelling-bird stew
« Reply #114 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:56 »

Somehhow I'm thinking that a hug will definitely put Hanners over the edge for a while.
Oh yeah, this is Hanners we're talking about...

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #115 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:18 »

Hanners' expression in panel one, and Marten's half-hearted attempt at depending himself (the raised finger and open mouth with no words was the key moment) really made this strip. Funny the whole way through. Great job, Jeph.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #116 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:29 »

Great. Now I'm imagining what Hanners would look like with a mullet.

FREE BIRD!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #117 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:42 »

What has been seeeeeeeeeeeen (and heard) ............

I wonder how long it will be before Hanners finally plucks up the courage to ask for the purple one?

Hey, Marten's got his own parculaiar strengths

After all, he lives with Faye
Has to deal with Pintsize

Keeps Dora 'Happy'   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #118 on: 28 Jan 2010, 16:42 »

Being something of a 'hothouse flower' myself, this comic made me feel good. I love Dora's expression in the last panel. 'Course, I  also enjoyed Hanners' shell-shocked look at the beginning. Art's been amazing this week.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

nichidani

• nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #119 on: 28 Jan 2010, 18:59 »

Marten's half-hearted attempt at depending himself (the raised finger and open mouth with no words was the key moment) really made this strip.

i totally agree. it was my favorite QC moment in quite a while.
kittens!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #120 on: 28 Jan 2010, 19:00 »

... Art's been amazing this week.

Yeah, the art's moved to a whole new level lately.  Not so much the individual characters (although they're great, faces and poses especially), but there's a reality of place, like we're looking at movie clips.  The compositions and POV's are fantastic, as is the timing.  

The amazing thing about this, especially the timing, is that it's all psychological.  It's always been good, but now Jeph isn't only learning how to make more realistic looking representations of his characters and places, he's more able to get what his minds eye sees onto the paper.  

And he's getting us to "get it".  

I know he's never completely happy with his own work, but I certainly hope that he's happier lately than he has been!  Because it's great - and he deserves it!  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nichidani

• nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #121 on: 28 Jan 2010, 19:27 »

yeah, i really love how QC uses cinematic angles instead of just four panels of stiff poses, from the front viewpoint. it's refreshing!

also, i feel the need to note that i noticed jeph has put his characters into more realistic positions, changing the way they move to make it seem much more natural. the best example i can give of this is the first strip and his redraw of it on his LJ. he had marten standing with his conversation with pintsize in the original, but in the redraw he had marten sitting on the couch. this makes a lot more sense and is more natural, as marten is depressed/tired/blahblah and would probably plop his ass on the couch as soon as he got in. (i know that's what i do on those types of days!)

just an observation.
kittens!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #122 on: 28 Jan 2010, 21:16 »

It's especially fun to see Hanners in relaxed poses, like in the penalty box cartoon or when she explains to Winslow where AnthroPCs come from.

Today's title is "Banterfail". This is an anagram for "fab entrail". This may be what we see if Angus continues to try to make Pennelope be a Faye substitute.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

IlGreven

• Emoticontraindication
  • Also, no 4-year-olds on the pee-pee.
    • Grev's Big Journal Thingy
« Reply #123 on: 28 Jan 2010, 21:20 »

I believe this strip single-handedly earns Penelope the "Only Sane Man" QC entry on TVTropes.

...Also, I want "Mr. Rogers in a bloodstained sweater" as a poll option!
A gigantic force on the 'Net, and even BIGGER in person.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #124 on: 28 Jan 2010, 21:23 »

wow someones in a bad mood.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

espressobsessed

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://www.espressolab.ca
« Reply #125 on: 28 Jan 2010, 21:38 »

Penners... why are you so friggen laaaaame?

I'm throwing in my vote for Penny to be written out of the script via rigor mortis.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #126 on: 28 Jan 2010, 21:39 »

LOL awesome

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #127 on: 28 Jan 2010, 21:40 »

Penelope might catch flak from Dora for kicking a regular (and second-tier member of the "gang") out like that.

But yeah, bad mood. Troubles with Will, perhaps?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #128 on: 28 Jan 2010, 22:03 »

And Angus is definitely going to get flak from Faye for trying to get his sass fix from someone else.

There Will Be Scorn.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #129 on: 28 Jan 2010, 22:08 »

Week of great art is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

...Damn, now I want some Frosted Flakes. Damn you Tony!

But he should have read the board. It specifically says "no small talk, please."

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #130 on: 28 Jan 2010, 22:48 »

And Angus is definitely going to get flak from Faye for trying to get his sass fix from someone else.

There Will Be Scorn.
Well, to be fair, Dora's given him sass, too. So maybe not.

Then again, this is Faye, who doesn't need a reason for flingin' flak. But I'm not sure it rates scorn. In which case…

Sorry. It's not really relevant—QC is never boring— but I saw this the other day and couldn't stop snickering. http://www.listal.com/list/m-p-t-t-t
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2010, 22:50 by raoullefere »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #131 on: 28 Jan 2010, 23:29 »

It's not the first time Angus has tried to use Pennelope as a Faye (that was 767), but I think this is the first time he's made a first strike against her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #132 on: 29 Jan 2010, 00:31 »

Poor Angus, he'll be suffering Sass Withdrawal Syndrome till Monday now.
James The Kugai 

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #133 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:27 »

And he didn't even get a drink :(

And Dora in yesterday's last panel is possibly the cutest pic of her in the entire comic.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #134 on: 29 Jan 2010, 04:49 »

My first reaction on today's strip was Penny definitely is in a bad mood - the body language, the facial expression, the mundane specials and lack of patience.

So this all begs the question, what is going on in her life?  Wil no longer writing poetry?  Her attempts to become a literary agent becoming less and less likely?  Just  a really bad day?  Tune in next week to find out!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #135 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:04 »

Poor Penpen. The reason for her bad mood will probably be explained later, but she can't take all the blame. Angus seems to have forgotten that not all girls respond well to sass-talk. It seems this has become his only means of communication, but frankly, the fact that this is supposed to make us laugh kind of makes it so.  :lol:
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #136 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:11 »

Penners... why are you so friggen laaaaame?

I'm throwing in my vote for Penny to be written out of the script via rigor mortis.

Seconded.

I imagine Jeph loves all his characters now though, even if they are in shitty moods. I suppose the way she reacted is actually pretty similar to how most people would react if spoken to that way. Witty retorts are fun, but are easier between people who know each other well enough for a well aimed insult.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #137 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:14 »

My first reaction on today's strip was Penny definitely is in a bad mood - the body language, the facial expression, the mundane specials and lack of patience.

So this all begs the question, what is going on in her life?  Wil no longer writing poetry?  Her attempts to become a literary agent becoming less and less likely?  Just  a really bad day?  Tune in next week to find out!

Oh, c'mon - imagine yourself in her position - the rest of the staff is off moving with friends, and you're left behind alone in the coffee shop, having to deal with real costumers customers.  

Then Angus walks in, and tries to use you as an ersatz Faye.  

Wouldn't you do the same?  It's not like he won't be coming back, he's been thrown out before!  

But yeah, some Wil & Penelope would be good right about now.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #138 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:27 »

I believe this strip single-handedly earns Penelope the "Only Sane Man" QC entry on TVTropes.

...Also, I want "Mr. Rogers in a bloodstained sweater" as a poll option!
Ask and ye shall receive.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BobtheDancingFlea

• Not quite a lurker
  • Not a lion.
    • Deviantfart
« Reply #139 on: 29 Jan 2010, 07:58 »

I feel like I would have enjoyed this comic more if I knew what it meant for the singularity to hit. :c
You'll be asking Jeph to chew your food for you next, or at least stick to fart jokes...  :-D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_singularity
I...bluh? Is it really that, I don't know, is it really a reference that most people would get? I've never heard of it and I can't even wrap my head around the wikipedia article. :1

Maybe I'll go sit in the corner with my unchewed plate of food. ;o;

Part of your issue may simply be that the Singularity applies generally to all fields of human inquiry, which is of course incredibly vast. It's easier to go field by field; for instance, the Singularity for programming is generally considered to be the first self sufficient AI, when we will have effectively created something smarter than ourselves. Most in the field believe this will probably happen before 2050- and that's pessimistically.

The term means different things to different people, but essentially the Singularity is the point past which we can no longer predict what will happen. We know AIs are coming- whether they kill us all or we coexist peacefully, however, simply can't be known yet. We know nanoscale assembly is on its way, but we don't know if we will grey-goo the universe when we achieve it.

Thank you! That helped explain it much better. :3

ALSO!!

Am I the only one who thought Penpen's response was AWESOME? Angus was being a little turd talking to her like that, and her response totally made her the victor, even if she didn't give a witty retort. :3 Plus, he should probably remember she doesn't ~do~ witty retorts after she gave him a coffee last and threatened head-bopping.
+I don't know why everyone seems to think she's in a bad mood, she looked totally normal until Angus started being a pest.
Bums.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #140 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:15 »

Am I the only one who thought Penpen's response was AWESOME? Angus was being a little turd talking to her like that, and her response totally made her the victor, even if she didn't give a witty retort. :3 Plus, he should probably remember she doesn't ~do~ witty retorts after she gave him a coffee last and threatened head-bopping.
+I don't know why everyone seems to think she's in a bad mood, she looked totally normal until Angus started being a pest.

God forbid a woman not immediately bow to societal pressure to give a man whatever he demands, right?

Penelope rocked in today's comic, I hope she removes Angus' head from his shoulders.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #141 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:17 »

Agreed  on Pennelope's facial expression, and Angus was getting kind of personal there, something she's never responded well to.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mojo

« Reply #142 on: 29 Jan 2010, 12:02 »

She's in a bad mood because she misses her red tights and mask.  And cape.

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #143 on: 29 Jan 2010, 12:24 »

Penelope rocked in today's comic, I hope she removes Angus' head from his shoulders.

I second this.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #144 on: 29 Jan 2010, 12:29 »

But who would clean up the blood?
James The Kugai 

syrupykeyboard

• These dynamite walls contain us.
« Reply #145 on: 29 Jan 2010, 12:43 »

We haven't seen the Roomba in a while... Maybe he'll just pop up out of nowhere.
"And I don't know where I'm going yet, but it's somewhere quite a ways from here I'll bet..."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #146 on: 29 Jan 2010, 13:44 »

We haven't seen the Roomba in a while... Maybe he'll just pop up out of nowhere.
We never did see him land...for all we know he's still riding the air.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #147 on: 29 Jan 2010, 15:01 »

We never did see him land...for all we know he's still riding the air.
That'd be the ultimate Brick joke.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #148 on: 29 Jan 2010, 16:02 »

She's in a bad mood because she misses her red tights and mask.  And cape.

We all miss those.

syrupykeyboard

• These dynamite walls contain us.
« Reply #149 on: 29 Jan 2010, 16:10 »

I was never issued my pair of red tights.
With whom do I lodge a formal complaint?
"And I don't know where I'm going yet, but it's somewhere quite a ways from here I'll bet..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up