THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 08:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 915777 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #1850 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:33 »

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

Lucy was indeed a great pet.  She had a good life, and 13 years is a fair time for a collie.  Her last decline, caused by disseminated cancer, was swift (she was careering around Dartmoor just two weeks ago, looking for sheep to chase), and I hope we justified her wonderful trusting gaze by not letting her reach the point of indignity.

One last picture:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1851 on: 28 Apr 2010, 20:35 »

So I went to see Regina Spektor on Tuesday. SHE WAS AMAZING. Also incredibly adorable. She realised she was surrounded by the audience (there are seats behind the stage at the Opera House) and she was all "oh my, I'm surrounded by you all... it's kind of nice. As long as you're not hostile, so uhm, don't go hostile please." Super cute. She also kept spinning around to talk to all of the audience and said that next time, she'll have a platform, possibly powered by small children spinning her around, because "I think you can do that nowadays".

Her support act was Jupiter One, who I'd never heard of but absolutely loved. The lead singer was singing and playing rather impressive violin at the same time. Was awesomely amazing. They were also her band for the night, which I thought was cool and I've not seen other bands do that before.

I also got a signed print!

Next show I'm going to is in June - going to see Emily Haines (Metric) playing with a string quartet at the Opera House. I have super amazing seats for that show so I am all sorts of excited.

Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1852 on: 28 Apr 2010, 22:52 »

fack it's 2:30 wednesday  night ain't nobody in meebo to shit around with.
It sure was nice to chat some people tonight in company of one of my few friends here, I think I'm making some friends.
Fuck the bar I like here has gone from having the one bartender to hiring a new incredibly atractice one. Like, you wouldn't necessarily find hr attractive but she's got a slim body, pretty face, nice hair, and she just looks really great to me. I mean what is a summer without me crushing on a bartender though right?
fuck it's nice to have been out drinking with friends.
I love life some times. I lot of the time I'm depressed but not now, not today, and not tomorrow. Life, is good. Is good.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #1853 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:38 »

I HAVE A PLUSH PANDA HAT WITH MITTENS.

Look out winter, Jodie has a bear on her head and she is feeling snug.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1854 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:34 »

I mean what is a summer without me crushing on a bartender though right?

Oh man, bartenders for you, cafe waitresses for me.

And, like, summer for you, all year round for me.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1855 on: 29 Apr 2010, 13:31 »

Well, do them!

... or ask them on dates or something. Whichever seems more apropriate.

I got icecream from my boss today. It was nice and the highlight of my working day. Which is sad.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1856 on: 29 Apr 2010, 16:20 »

I felt miserable earlier which ended with me pulling over the car to cry.

Then I went and read Hark! A Vagrant from beginning to end and am working my way through Dresden Codak and feel better already.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #1857 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:14 »

passport day happy day! i have a passport and i can legally leave the country again. fuck yeah.
How did the Tronno vice cops let that one slip by?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #1858 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:16 »

FIGHT YOU
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #1859 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:25 »

Wait, you mean ear-flaps? Is that what you kids mean when you keep going on about your hats having "mittens"?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #1860 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:38 »

I saw a hat yesterday that was a Husky head. I was going to take a photo, but the lady in the shop was looking at me funny, so I kept going.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1861 on: 30 Apr 2010, 04:00 »

FIGHT YOU

There's a hockey fight in the background of that photo

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1862 on: 30 Apr 2010, 06:32 »

Wait, you mean ear-flaps? Is that what you kids mean when you keep going on about your hats having "mittens"?

I was kind of confused about that too.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #1863 on: 30 Apr 2010, 09:03 »

FIGHT YOU

There's a hockey fight in the background of that photo

It's Canada. Need I say more?
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1864 on: 30 Apr 2010, 16:07 »

No Harry, my hat is better than his because it has like, a scraf attached with pokets at the end.  S you can wear it as  a scarf or hang it down and keep your hands toasty in the scarf  mitten pockets.
MY HAT WINS!
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1865 on: 30 Apr 2010, 16:09 »

Ok, blogging to get this off my chest. Comments not required.

Ok, so this past month or so I've been working on this charity with my mom. Or moreso, doing all the work for this charity that my mom is supposed to be hosting, and not getting enough credit for it. I've been going to places nonstop, everywhere in St. Louis now has my name, phone number, and email address. I've said the whole "I'm with *charity organization*..." spiel so many times that I think that I've got it down to taking less than a minute to tell them that whole story along with the story about TTTS. It's frustrating because I have to balance this with being super shy and awkward, and a job, and no car. She has literally done nothing. I have tried to get her to call places and she refuses. Says she is sick, says she has no voice, says her phone is broken. Which is just not true, except the phone part, which didn't happen until just recently, when she let me 4 year old sister play with it and drop it in water. I have even tried to force her to get in touch with people by having them call her. No go. I realize that that was super immature, but damn, it'd be nice if she did something. I was in touch with St. Louis's weekly alternative paper, they were giving us a discounted rate of $50 to advertise with them. To start things off she was outraged that they'd charge anything, which ok, they are a big paper, with lots of charities asking for help $50 ain't a thing. So I tried to get her to contact the founders of the charity and ask if they would pay for it since we'd be making the $50 back anyway. She refused to. Never did it. A few weeks later(one week too late to get in on all the weeks I wanted) she decides its a good idea, and wants to do it. So, I give her the ladies info. Nothing. Last chance we have for it, the lady calls me, I tell her that she needs to call my mom since she has all the final say(see that's where I got super immature), the lady does, and my mom talks to her and says she will email her that night. Two days later(two days too late), I ask whatever happened with it, and she gives me some bullshit excuse about how she forgot or some crap. Whatever. So we missed that chance because of her. I've been doing all the work for this, and I feel like it's super unfair. I'm so frustrated.

If this was a business, she would have been fired by now.

On top of all that, I just started a new job, and she is wanting me to skip out of so much work with them so I can do this work for her. Everyday she asks if I have talked to these people, or have gone to see these people, or if I've picked up this yet. I'm sorry lady, I have a job, and I need to work! Yesterday I posted on facebook about getting a new game. A game I picked up at the mall I work at, about 15 minutes before clocking in. Her comment "Are you gonna bring it with you on our trip?(Our trip to host another one of these parties) Have you gone to Fitz's yet?" Jesus woman. I am your daughter. I know you have more things to talk to me about other than this freaking charity stuff. Like if my boyfriend is doing well....

Since he just had surgery on his face. Yes, that is still stressing me because he is constantly worried that something is going to wrong, and that it is already infected(which it isn't! And it's chances of becoming infected are almost nonexistent), and is upset because he can't sleep in the bed because he need to sleep sitting up so he doesn't roll to either side, and he can't sleep when he does try to sleep in the bed sitting up, and refuses to sleep on the couch anymore(which I'm sleeping out there with him. I've set it up so it is pretty damn comfy for the both of us). And basically he is stressed out about that, so I am too.

On top of that his ex fiance/friend gave birth to her twins the day after his surgery through emergency c-section. They were due in July. They both weight one pound each and are 12-13 inches long. So far they are doing fine, but it is still a stressful situation because ever since my sisters preemie twins worry me.

And on top of that, the days I asked off for(for this freaking trip, and the coming home to host a party/fundraiser, which btws, I'm going to Kansas, throwing a party, sleeping, ad going directly from there to the party in st. Louis that I am also "co-coordinator"of. No stopping in between), I have not got off. I'm in the process of calling around, but I don't know how successful I'm going to be.

Then there is our wonderful fucking apartment, with our douchebag landlord. We just got new neighbors and it is awkward. They are loud and yell at their kid a lot. Just like the other neighbors on that side of the building. Joy. Our upstairs neighbor is also still a loud douchebag as well. And our fucking dishwasher broke. It is shattered. The sprayer part is all in pieces. And it's in our lease that we have one, but Jesus. If this is anything like the blinds and refrigerator, it'll be quicker if we just move out than try to get our landlord to actually do his job and replace it.

Speaking of moving out, we were looking for a house to buy but my boyfriend freaked out about money and now doesn't want to even consider buying for quite a few more years. Ok, well, we both agree that this place is terrible and we don't want to live here any longer, so will you at least help me look for a new place to rent. Maybe a house so we can have a back yard and not have annoying neighbors? Please. He won't even consider it. He won't even take the time to help me look for places.
rar!
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1866 on: 30 Apr 2010, 20:08 »

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a house now than at pretty much any other time, while the real estate prices are still low?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #1867 on: 30 Apr 2010, 20:55 »

Dear Blog Thread, this is the story of the Little Girl Who Didn't Mind the Gap.

(I am giving it a cute name so that you know everything turned out okay in the end, because it was pretty frightening at the time.)

Early this afternoon I was on the train on my way back from my regular Saturday morning hang-outs with the Sudanese kids in Melbourne's western suburbs. On the train there was a young family: a mother, a father, and a little girl who was about four or five years old. At a station called Southern Cross station, in the city, they got off the train: the father first, then the little girl, then the mother. The little girl, being a little girl, was very excited and energetic and not really paying much attention to her surroundings, so when she stepped off the train and her mother said "Watch out for the gap", the little girl didn't hear her.

She stepped straight into the gap between the train and the platform.

This happened right in front of me: I was watching the family get off because I had my bike with me, and I was trying to ensure that it didn't obstruct their exit from the train. I saw the little girl fall: she just went straight down and disappeared under the train. Straight away the mother started screaming, and the little girl started screaming, and the father got down on his knees to try to lift the girl out, and there was a lot of pandemonium as you can imagine. The family was very fortunate in that the door they exited the train from was immediately behind the driver's compartment; I dropped my bike and jumped out of the train to get the driver's attention, but the mother had had the same idea and the driver, probably having heard all the screaming, opened his door and came out onto the platform immediately, and was very calm and professional and assured the mother very clearly that the train wasn't going to start moving until the girl was safe and clear of the train. Meanwhile the father had grabbed hold of the little girl's hands - she was reaching up for him - and had pulled her onto the platform. The family, obviously very distressed but enormously relieved, made their way towards the station exit, and the driver returned to his cabin to radio in the incident (we could hear him from the carriage, as we were just on the other side of the door between the driver's compartment and the main body of the train).

The whole thing was over in less than thirty seconds.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1868 on: 30 Apr 2010, 21:24 »

It always surprises me when I go to other Australian cities that their trains all seem so old and have things like gaps and manually opened doors that they patrons have to yank open. It seems odd to me that Perth of all places would be the one with the nice clean train stations with quiet, shiny new trains and NO GAP. Although I guess it makes sense as a consequence of Perth only having a widespread train system at all in the past 20 years

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1869 on: 30 Apr 2010, 21:37 »

I'm glad she's ok! Poor thing.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1870 on: 30 Apr 2010, 22:20 »

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a house now than at pretty much any other time, while the real estate prices are still low?

Yeah but we have no sort of savings, so no downpayment. We are pretty broke as it is. So maybe in a few years.

Also, man, thank god that girl is safe. Wow. That would of scared the bejebus out of me.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1871 on: 30 Apr 2010, 22:45 »

Guys I just want you all to know that Jordan is the BEST EVER because he sent me a surprise box of candies and poptarts and it makes me so happy.

THANKS JORDAN YOU ARE AWESOME.   Tim Tams will be coming your we in the next week or so.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #1872 on: 30 Apr 2010, 22:47 »

Hey there blog thread.

My dog was also put to sleep today, though I suppose at this point she was only my dog in a loose sense. I had to leave her with my parents when I moved out, and haven't been able to see her much since. She was a 9 year-old black lab, who had always had bad allergies and wound up with diabetes and progressive blindness in the latter stages of her life. Charlotte was never a very clever animal, she didn't much like other dogs, or the water, but she was one of the sweetest and most loving creatures I've ever known. And it really, really sucks that her life was marred so much by her illnesses, and I wish she'd been able to live better and longer. And I will miss her a lot.

I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1873 on: 01 May 2010, 00:56 »

I'm so sorry :( She looks very gentle in that picture, Labradors are lovely.

I'm always scared of the gaps between platforms and trains, even though I know perfectly well that I'm far too large to fall through them any more. There are some trains where even I have to take a proper jump to get on, though; it's dangerous to make small kids leap over what is to them a gaping chasm! There has to be a way to put a step in that juts out over the platform.

I spent quite a lot of yesterday on trains, because I went to London for an interview with a lady who's looking for a mother's help over the summer. The kids were adorable (2 years and 12 weeks) and she was really nice, but I don't know whether I'll have got it or not because she still has another 2 people to interview. I really hope I do!

Today I'm going to a course on international development which I signed up to ages ago and kind of wish I hadn't - I would like a day where I'm not having to go anywhere and can just work, but I think that won't be until next Saturday. Ah well.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1874 on: 01 May 2010, 02:09 »

Commiserations - she looks a lovely dog.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #1875 on: 01 May 2010, 02:18 »

Thank you for reminding me to go play a little ball today with my eleven year old lab.   I don't know how much longer she'll be doing it, and I'm going to be crushed when I can't anymore.

Sorry about your loss.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1876 on: 01 May 2010, 05:15 »

I just reached into my bathroom bag and my right index finger found my razor and got a nice chunk sliced out of it and my fingernail! I am not particularly happy about this. It hurts a lot and is starting to bleed through the two band-aids and how am I going to use my iPhone now?  </firstworldproblems>
« Last Edit: 01 May 2010, 05:18 by Lunchbox »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1877 on: 01 May 2010, 05:34 »

Sorry about your loss. :c People, go play with your pets.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1878 on: 01 May 2010, 12:31 »

no downpayment.

Protip: Put as little of a down payment as possible on a mortgage, then, take all of the money you would have used for a large down payment, and pay that on principal for your first month's payment. It will reduce the amount of interest you pay over the life of the mortgage, as nearly all mortgages (in the US at least) are set up to be heavy on interest early on.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1879 on: 01 May 2010, 20:29 »

Just got back from my second shift at my new job. It is a call centre, but the place is nice, it isn't out-going, and it's tech support for iPhones so it could be a lot worse. Training lasts like three weeks and they pay us two weeks in arrears, which means in two weeks I'll get paid for these past two days and in a month I'll get paid for the next two weeks of work, which is kind of a bummer but not illegal so far as I can tell. They aren't withholding pay, they've just shifted the payday ten days further into the future than I've ever had before.
At any rate, I have met some people there which is nice. I made cookies for today, I'll be making more cookies for Monday, and people seem good in my training class. A lot of them are from away, or have at least lived off-island which is nice. Also the bike ride is only about 20 minutes each way and the trail is pretty good.

I am going to say that a goal of mine this summer is to follow up on at least one of two of my long-standing dreams, being making cider (optionally beer) or beef jerky from scratch, and hopefully sell on to friends enough of the stuff to cover material expenses, if not time. Both would require some construction and the use of the land at my friend's cottage in Port Elgin; jerky needs a smoke-box and fire-box, cider requires a scratter, frames, and a press. I've got friends who have experience in fermenting and there is a plethora of reading material on home-brewing, whereas making jerky is less well documented, but cider would have to wait till the end of the summer when the apples are best, whereas people kill cows like every day.
I think I'll focus on jerky related research for now. We've got a decent back yard but is so close to the neighbours' clothes-lines that I really can not get away with smoking beef for half a day or more, so I'll need to get like a week off and bike out to New Brunswick and meet up with my friend and use his remote place to smoke things.
Man that sounds exciting.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1880 on: 01 May 2010, 21:57 »

Oh, god, they changed the Steam UI. Normally, this would be no cause for alarm, but when I clicked on my games folder today I was greeted by the number of hours I have spent playing Civ IV. It was pretty harrowing information to just have laid down like that.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1881 on: 02 May 2010, 04:26 »

So I was walking home from work this morning, and paying a lot of attention to my phone, guess who I didn't notice hanging out in the driveway.
This guy:

I walked past him, and he walked down to the street, we exchanged glances and I began to go up the driveway, he seemed to be fine with this. I thought a picture would be a great idea since this is ridiculous. I didn't want to anger the goose though, so I did not go closer. Had I thought about it, I would have taken one when I was about a foot away.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1882 on: 02 May 2010, 05:19 »

You live across the road from a Burger King?
Oh god, I would be so fat if I did.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1883 on: 02 May 2010, 05:48 »

I have eaten at that burger king once. If it is not raining later today I will get a picture from my backyard, where you can see the Mcdonalds that is a short walk away

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #1884 on: 02 May 2010, 05:55 »

canada geese chillin' in the road is fairly common here

they are also assholes

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1885 on: 02 May 2010, 06:00 »

Yeah, they've been shitting up dad's neighborhood's lawns for decades now, those bastards. Can't run around barefoot there without getting your feet covered in poo.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #1886 on: 02 May 2010, 07:00 »

I think I'd prefer geese to ibises. Ibises are absolute cockgobblers.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1887 on: 02 May 2010, 07:51 »

A friend of a friend was biking to a concert and in order to avoid running over some baby geese and their mom, he took his water bottle and squirted some water in their direction to make them move. (He made sure not to hit the babies, he just wanted them to move.) Big mistake. A few seconds later, he got dive bombed in the shoulder by the dad, which knocked him off his bike. Not only did the dad start pecking him, but the mom and babies came over and started pecking him too! He didn't make it to his concert.

Geese are territorial assholes. Which is weird, because they don't stay in one place too long.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1888 on: 02 May 2010, 08:05 »

Back home we have a little river that runs by our house, and every spring a pair of geese shows up and nests in the same spot along it. They have their little baby geese, and once they are big enough they all leave. Mating for life, dudes! It is kind of awesome.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #1889 on: 02 May 2010, 08:50 »

Dear Canada:  Please come and get your damn geese back.

I live on a lake and one of my absolute pet peeves is all the damn Canada geese.  Those things are not only aggressive dicks --as has been mentioned-- but I think they poop more than any living creature, anywhere.    They come waaaaay the hell up in my yard and harass my kids and my dogs, then they shit on my cars and my patio.   Hates them I do.   Plus they scare away the ducks who behave less like drunken frat boys than their geesey cousins.

Luckily this year I have a pair of swans on my island and they are keeping most of the geese away.   Swans are even bigger assholes than geese, however, they stay out of my yard, so they're cool with me.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #1890 on: 02 May 2010, 08:55 »

Unfortunately they're probably lame Northern Hemispherian white swans of some kind and not awesome Southern Hemispherian black swans.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1891 on: 02 May 2010, 17:08 »

The first time I saw a white swan in real life I actually squealed from excitement because I wasn't sure they actually existed.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #1892 on: 02 May 2010, 18:10 »

White swans are lovely in theory but in practice they're nearly always grubby-looking from rummaging around in underwater muck.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1893 on: 02 May 2010, 20:16 »

There's an artificial lake in Waterloo (several, actually) and because they are dammed and artificial they lack adequate drainage and they fill up with goose and duck poo. The swans on that lake are always terrible looking from above about halfways up their neck.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1894 on: 03 May 2010, 00:24 »

Blah. Sometimes good days just leave me feeling so listless. I had to start packing today, because I'll be heading to Vancouver on Tuesday, so I was feeling a bit sad to be leaving the city. But, a really good friend of mine came over in the early afternoon. I helped her move a bunch of her things out of her apartment, talked a little, and discovered that she's planning on leaving for her bike trip tomorrow instead of Tuesday. This is no good, since I think she is really swell, and was hoping to actually manage to spend some quality time with her before I took off/possibly spend the night with her? (We'd had a drunken night of such things last month, and haven't had a chance to even talk about it for more than a couple minutes since, what with the craziness of exams and papers and such.) Didn't manage to spend much time with her past the move, as she had plans with a few of her other friends.

Went to campus and exchanged a couple books with this cute girl from my philosophy class last semester, but she was too busy with writing papers (already late) to talk for more than a minute. Then went home, and a couple friends came by. We went to the grocery store, ran into three other folks we knew, and ended up having a really nice evening making a giant dinner and playing board games. After they'd all left, at around 1:30, my good friend (mentioned earlier) stopped by to say goodbye. She'd only been here a few minutes, and I was debating the appropriateness of kissing her, when a couple of my roommates got home, throwing off the whole thing. Pretty much all the conversation I managed to make was fairly inane - how I was going to miss her/Montreal, how I hoped she would have a nice summer, how I was planning to write letters to friends this summer and would need her address, etc. Then she needed to leave, since she had to get up early for her bike trip. I basically just feel that I missed a pretty good thing, that I came off as trite, and so on.

Tomorrow, aside from having so much packing to do, should be good though. And then I'll be back to Vancouver, which I'm looking forward too, even if it's for more of the summer than I would like. I'll get to see Victoria (my girlfriend - we've been in an open relationship for a few months now, to explain how the earlier story makes sense), and catch up with a lot of old friends. Just difficult to avoid melancholy feelings before leaving a city I really love, to say nothing of my friends.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1895 on: 03 May 2010, 04:49 »

The first time I saw a white swan in real life I actually squealed from excitement because I wasn't sure they actually existed.

You should hear the things when they land after a full-out flight. It sounds like jet-fighters. First time I saw that, on a lake well into the mountains back when I lived in northern Norway, and I was to stunned to say anything for a couple of minutes. It was immense.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1896 on: 03 May 2010, 07:04 »

Summer job hunting sucks, and it sucks even more when you have to have 6-12 weeks of relevant work experience to be able to start your master thesis. I'm taking an extra year to improve my grades and stuff, so I won't start my master thesis this coming spring as originally planned, which means I have one more summer to find relevant work experience, but still. It sucks. Taking that extra year means losing a bunch of money, since I have to take an extra year of student loans and I lose one year of potential income, but I feel like I need it, and I like being a student, and even though people tell me I'm a girl studying IT, so I shouldn't bother with improving my grades, I think that is a crappy excuse for having poor grades.

I might end up without a summer job at all, or lonely in Trondheim all summer if I happen to get the job I just sent an application for. I don't want to be lonely in Trondheim all summer, even though the job sounds okay (though I'm not sure if it's relevant – I don't think so). Not having a summer job would be awesome in one way, because I could relax and read and exercise and hang out at our vacation home/sea house. But it would mean less money (although I have been a student assistant this spring, and I have applied for a new position as a student assistant this fall, so I wouldn't be dirt poor) and a hole on my CV and disappointed parents and an overall feeling of being a failure. I might still be able to get my old, super boring hospital secretary job, but probably not, because the manager at that department who told my dad a month and a half ago that I could get that job again, became sick (which is awful, of course), and the new manager there is all vague and won't give my dad a concrete answer. Sigh. I should be worrying about finals, not this crap.

I can't even really apply for random jobs either, because a) I can only find like two or three listings in Bodř (back home), and even if I were to apply for them, I wouldn't be able to show up for an interview (can't really afford to fly, and the train trip takes 10 hours each way, and I have exams coming up, and yeah), and b) I don't want to be stuck in Trondheim all summer working some stupid job that isn't even relevant, because that would make the summer pretty much awful.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2010, 07:10 by Ladybug »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1897 on: 03 May 2010, 14:36 »

Probably a bad post for me to follow, considering that I'm living at home but recently got a second job at a cool local diner that I'm stoked to start on Saturday.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1898 on: 03 May 2010, 14:56 »

Congrats on the job!

Further proof that most stuff sucks these days:

(Taken by someone in the same student village as myself, about 10 minutes ago.)

I really, really hope this won't last, although it's been happening quite a bit the past week or two. It would suck majorly to have both winter and summer exams in the same weather. I mean, I really love the winter when there's proper snow and it's cold, but not in May, damnit. I had to replace my PJ-ish t-shirt with a wool shirt just now.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2010, 15:00 by Ladybug »

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1899 on: 03 May 2010, 15:57 »

Went to the biggest house party on Saturday night. 15 live bands, 100+ people in a not-so-large house. Effin' epic. Made friends with some rad dudes, got free beer, CDs, and the most delicious pot cookie, then everything goes blurry.

But I woke up on my friend's couch with some girl's number in my phone. Mission accomplished?
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81   Go Up