THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 06:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 915731 times)

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #3700 on: 28 Jul 2010, 10:43 »

I got a job offer today! I am actually less excited about it than you might think though, because I'm a bit concerned that I'll end up spending most of my time herding the CEO around (he apparently has no idea what his schedule is ever?) and that I won't get any real background in photovoltaics because I'll be busy making coffee and answering phones. Which I did BEFORE I went and got this big expensive degree. Also, I lowballed myself on salary and am now kicking myself for it.

Hoping for an offer from the way neater company for the way neater position on Friday.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #3701 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:03 »

I am a hungover mug. Off to San Fran Cis Co!

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #3702 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:25 »

One of my closest friends is planning her wedding, and has asked me to help! I'm so excited. She also told me she wants me and two other close friends to be bridesmaids, but her fiancé wants her to include his sister in the wedding party, so I think I'm going to get the boot. Oh well! I can deal with that. I'm sure I'll be in a few wedding parties yet.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3703 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:29 »

Aha, mono is glandular fever. One of my cast has just got over that and spends most of his time sleeping to avoid post-viral fatigue, which apparently "fucks you up for life" (or, reading about it right now, possibly he has actually got it, and is trying to avoid getting ME? Not sure).

Today I finished making the treasure chest bodies, and got started on the lids! For once I ran out of things to do before I ran out of time, since the timber order won't arrive til tomorrow, so I managed to get home for dinner and am having an evening off. Off to the pub for a late-night drink with friends and maybe I will have a nap first! Naps are good. I'm looking forwards to the day when I can have afternoon naps again - the last week in September seems the closest possible time that will happen.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #3704 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:32 »

and maybe I will have a nap first! Naps are good.

Yes, yes they are.  I just woke up from one and it was glorious.   Unfortunately the circumstances surrounding the necessity for one are a sad tale of indentured servitude and sleep deprivation.  The two hour nap at the end though was hella nice.  I'm ready to get back to work.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3705 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:44 »

went to a friend's wedding the other day. It's the first wedding I've been to since...I dunno...my cousin's wedding when I was like six or something.

It was weird.

The parking lot was filled with classic cars, hotrods, and motorcycles since the groom is a very skilled and popular mechanic in the area and he knows lots of gearheads.
He had his freshly painted rod parked out front with "just married" written in the back window and it was kind of crazy. I remember when he bought that car in highschool; it was little more than a rusty frame and some gears, and now, five/six/seven years later, it's this amazing looking thing that would make you turn and look if you saw it on the road.

anyway, long story short, I am feeling incredibly unaccomplished and pathetic now but that's pretty much par for the course so...no biggy!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #3706 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:03 »

I take it back. I really, really want to be a bridesmaid :c
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #3707 on: 28 Jul 2010, 13:16 »

Her fiance is making her choose his sister?  That's not cool!  Bridesmaids are supposed to be those closest to the bride!  Not thrown in just because she's going to be related!!!  Ugh, this makes me angry when I see people who do this.... sorry Allison. 

So..... went to court to file for custody.  Faye's dad and I simply cannot agree on anything and he thinks he should have full custody... he has NO JOB. Right.  So I'm not really concerned that he'll win, but damn, this is stressful.  Just knowing that it's going to be a battle at all is killing me. I lost 9 pounds in the last 10 days from stress.  Why is he such an idiot?!?!
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3708 on: 28 Jul 2010, 13:49 »

I am no longer throwing up all over the place. My headache is gone too, hoorah!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3709 on: 28 Jul 2010, 14:04 »

o/
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3710 on: 28 Jul 2010, 14:08 »

\o

Mein Tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3711 on: 28 Jul 2010, 15:13 »

Rachel, best of luck with all that. That's probably one of the worst things ever, so I'm sending good vibes your way.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3712 on: 28 Jul 2010, 16:09 »

Rachel you're employed, getting married, and the mother. There is basically no way you CAN'T win. And after you do,  you and Jon can kick his ass.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #3713 on: 28 Jul 2010, 16:39 »

I know!  I mean, I know i'm going to have no problem winning the case.  It's just added stress that I even have to go to court in the first place that really sucks.  I tried being reasonable with visitation rights and stuff, but he's been pushing for more and more, and it's unrealistic.  He even said that when we "decide on something" that he wants to go to court anyway to put it in writing.  I don't think he realizes that they're going to force him to get off his ass, get a real job and start actually paying for something.  Ugh... it's just stupid.

Thanks for all the good vibes.  I really need them right now.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Graphite

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • the final frontier?!
« Reply #3714 on: 28 Jul 2010, 18:01 »

Good luck pen; family law stuff is exhausting and rough, and it sucks that you have to deal with it.

I've never understood why people are so intent on having a matching number of bridesmaids to groomsmen, or only having 3 when they want 4. Admittedly bridesmaid dresses are expensive so you might want to limit the number of people who will be getting them (or limiting the number that you subsidise - I've no idea of the appropriate tradition here), but they do not necessarily need to be wearing the full-on matching dresses to qualify as bridesmaids. Wouldn't you want to just pick the people most important to you to form your wedding party - which could well include women who are more important to the groom and men more important to the bride, so maybe some groomsmaids and bridesmen - and go with that?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3715 on: 28 Jul 2010, 18:23 »

I know!  I mean, I know i'm going to have no problem winning the case.  It's just added stress that I even have to go to court in the first place that really sucks.  I tried being reasonable with visitation rights and stuff, but he's been pushing for more and more, and it's unrealistic.  He even said that when we "decide on something" that he wants to go to court anyway to put it in writing.  I don't think he realizes that they're going to force him to get off his ass, get a real job and start actually paying for something.  Ugh... it's just stupid.

Thanks for all the good vibes.  I really need them right now.

My sister had to go through the same sort of thing a couple years back. It was ridiculous the amount of things he tried to pin on to her.

Good luck though!

Mein Tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3716 on: 28 Jul 2010, 18:41 »

FYI, typically if you are a bridesmaid, you buy your dress. The bride just happens to pick it out. Also, only about half of the weddings I've been to have had all the bridesmaids wearing the exact same dress. They'll always be the same color and usually same length, but the actual dress will be different. (Like one girl will have a strapless while another has a halter and the last has spaghetti straps or whatever.) It's really up to the people getting married. For instance, one of my best friends isn't going to have a maid of honor, her brother is going to be her "dude of honor." When my cousin got married earlier this summer, he and his wife didn't have any bridesmaids or groomsmen. (They also had a good friend get ordained so he could do the vows and that was pretty awesome.) The only reason I can think of having the same number of people on each side is aesthetics - it looks better if you're flanked on both sides by the same number of people.

Personally, I want to make my wedding as not boring as possible and watching lots of bridesmaids walking down an aisle is kind of boring! One to hold your bouquet and maybe one or two more to catch you if you pass out sounds reasonable to me. Maybe they're traditionally there to keep you from running away, who knows.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3717 on: 28 Jul 2010, 19:36 »

I think if I ever get married I will have every present male be a groomsman. Everybody gets to have fun.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3718 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:31 »

Perhaps when I get married I will have every person I have ever kissed process in a line behind me in reverse chronological order? Just for comparison, in case I want to make a last-minute change.

Blog thread, I woke up inexplicably at 6.30 this morning and kind of went "huh, weird" and fell back to sleep. Then I woke up at 9 when the alarm went off and discovered that my body had been trying to give me an early warning that it was Shark Week :( Also I have so much to do and the thing I thought was at 8pm turns out to be at 6pm, lopping off two hours ARGHARGHARGH

Today I will: cut and attach a base for the final treasure chest, make and attach lids for all four (curved lids!), stain all four, buy and attach handles, go to the art room and move all the painted things to somewhere more sensible, clean said art room, panic.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #3719 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:42 »

I learned from Blackadder that the bridesmaids and groomsmen are so if the Bride or Groom don't show up, the next in line have to marry.
BECAUSE WE'RE ALL HERE IN OUR NICE CLOTHES AND THE CATERING'S PAID FOR SO SOMEONE HAS TO GET MARRIED, DAMN IT.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3720 on: 29 Jul 2010, 03:55 »

Perhaps when I get married I will have every person I have ever kissed process in a line behind me in reverse chronological order? Just for comparison, in case I want to make a last-minute change.
[...]

Do let me know if and when this happens because it sounds like the best thing ever!
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #3721 on: 29 Jul 2010, 05:53 »

So I thought I had death flu right? Sick and what not. Except I spent last night almost completely unable to breath. So I went to the doctor and got put on oxygen and a nebuliser for ages. Then got chest x-rays and they decided I was probably having an asthma attack and to chill the fuck outtttt for a while.
So now I'm off work for the rest of the week.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #3722 on: 29 Jul 2010, 10:38 »

Tania, thank you for the explanation.

red, I hope the job situation works out well for you.

zombie, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Rizzo, have you got asthma medication?  If you have, continue to use the preventer (even if you feel better) because if you start skipping doses, your body will let you know (although not immediately).  I learnt that lesson years ago.
Francisco

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3723 on: 29 Jul 2010, 13:28 »

Holy shit! So you're playing 80 minute games? That's insane!

I play "official" touch football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_football_(rugby_league)) which has 20-minute halves, if I played 40-minute halves with no substitutes I'd probably die afterwards. Touch is a really fast game!

It is a really fast game and intense, we play on a smaller pitch though, usually around 30 x 50 meters, which means points happen a bit quicker especially considering we're all pretty new, and there are lots of drop balls and such (less and less though yay!). We brought it down to 30 minute halves today which is a lot more manageable for my body. But we're also getting to a point where there's enough people for substitutes, so score.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3724 on: 29 Jul 2010, 13:38 »

Hey hey, you you, I don't like your Blog Thread,

Today, I noticed that my hairline is receding. I also applied for a job at a pre-school for mentally challenged children.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3725 on: 29 Jul 2010, 18:21 »

I get all dizzy when I stand up ahhhhhh

I get dizzy spells alarmingly often. When it happens to me it's usually because of low blood pressure from dehydration. Drink tons of water.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3726 on: 30 Jul 2010, 00:15 »

And when you've been in the country camping for a week and the battery's flat, how many books can you read then?  Another artefact that ties you to the trappings of our so-called civilisation!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #3727 on: 30 Jul 2010, 01:04 »

My Kobo ereader can last about a week and a bit. Two weeks in the woods though, I'd be pretty fucked.

My first Kobo decided to shit out on me on my first night I had it, and I'm pretty sure someone here wanted to know what kind of customer service I got. Well they were pretty cool about it. I called the Kobo hotline and told the guy on the other end about what had happened, he suggested I use the reset button at the back which I had already done and told him so after that he told me that if I had bought it recently I could take it back to the store I bought it from and they would replace it since it would still be covered under the 30 day warranty.

I'm still convinced the first Kobo only crapped out on me because it was the store display stock that was sold to me, so I dunno, maybe it was over used and not charged enough while in the store? So far though my Kobo has been nothing but awesome. I love the fact that I can read my doorstopper books in bed laying down and not get a sore neck or wrists.

In other news, my girifriend and I are looking to buy a puppy. Or more specifically a Swedish Vallhund.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #3728 on: 30 Jul 2010, 01:48 »

I was the one who asked about the Kobo customer service. Good to know they took care of that in store instead of making you ship it back to the manufacturer. This week saw a huge round of price wars on e-readers, so it will be interesting to see where it all ends up. Rumors are that Borders is going to layoff a bunch of corporate people next week to go along with 2 rounds of store layoffs earlier in the year.

I know exactly what a Swedish Vallhund looks like because it was the closest looking breed to a dog we used to have. But ours was mixed breed and about 60% the size. Exact same markings, though.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3729 on: 30 Jul 2010, 05:21 »

I signed the lease on my new house today! I've already posted a photo of the outside front of the house, so here are a few photos of the inside (and a couple more exteriors):

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2010, 05:24 by Inlander »

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3730 on: 30 Jul 2010, 05:34 »

Oh Harry, please can I have your house? I'm in love with it!
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #3731 on: 30 Jul 2010, 05:48 »

Harry that is such a great house. You're lucky it hasn't been turned into a little inner suburbs dentist's practice yet.

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Australian hiphop, specifically stuff by Elefant Traks folks and generally all the The Herd alumni. One thing that really struck me about them, and Ozi Batla's Wild Colonial album in particular, is this strong sense of Australian identity. There are lots of samples of distictly Australian films and references to historical and political events. More than that, there's just a feeling to it all that I'm having trouble expressing.

In trying to pin it down it got me to thinking about the things I know which are uniquely Australian. This hiphop, our political landscape, english literature classes teaching Lawson and Patterson, Strictly Ballroom. I don't really know that much of it or that much of it's history. I've decided that I should try to get a better handle on the Australian cultural canon because whatever that common strand is it just feels right.

I'm somewhat lost about where to start though. There isn't a huge range of things that immediately spring to mind but it's enough that it's a little daunting. I think my options are to choose a thing and go through it and then read about it and see where that leads or to try and find a book written by someone who had a similar thought strike them.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #3732 on: 30 Jul 2010, 09:50 »

My friends at work and I have been joking around about first world problems and posting the on our facebook.  I really thought it was a great idea and that i came up with it.  Nope it's been around, I'm pretty bummed about this because I really thought I came up with it, but of course nothing is original anymore.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3733 on: 30 Jul 2010, 12:10 »

nice place, Harry!

that stained glass window in the door is totally awesome.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3734 on: 30 Jul 2010, 12:17 »

Harry I am so envious of you right now.

In other news, I just applied at a pre-school for developmentally challenged children.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3735 on: 30 Jul 2010, 13:03 »

Ed a friend of a friend of mine has a similar job and he usually winds up with feces all over him by the end of most days. He says it's one of the most fulfilling jobs he's ever had, but yeah, just be aware there's some crazy shit that can happen. Literally.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3736 on: 30 Jul 2010, 20:07 »

I called my father earlier today to let him know that my subwoofer is a giant magnet that discoloured my monitor (not kidding). My father works with the mentally and/or physically challenged, and regaled me with a tale about how Pedro, one of the guys he works with, wrapped his legs around the supervisor's head and starting humping him senseless.

I'm aware of what may or may not happen.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #3737 on: 30 Jul 2010, 23:24 »

Inlander, that does look like a lovely place.
Francisco

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3738 on: 31 Jul 2010, 00:38 »

I've decided that I should try to get a better handle on the Australian cultural canon because whatever that common strand is it just feels right.

It's largely drinking and racism. Sigh.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #3739 on: 31 Jul 2010, 01:11 »

Don't forget the...

Yeah.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #3740 on: 31 Jul 2010, 02:26 »

ticketfast isn't printing my tickets and the show is in eighteen hours aw come ONNNNNNNNNNNN

Just Another Reason To Be Angry At Ticketmaster
it's time to stop posting

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3741 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:00 »

So Mom, how's about that tax information

It's been a month and a half, lolololol I AM SO FUCKED

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #3742 on: 31 Jul 2010, 12:04 »

Your avatar goes so well with that post.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3743 on: 31 Jul 2010, 12:48 »

Today, I almost got run over by an idiot in front of the Public Safety building. LOOK BOTH WAYS ASSHOLE.

In other news, I got FMA volumes 12, 13, and 14 in, so I'm going to clean the couch up (i.e., push everything onto the floor) and read them in front of the fan.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3744 on: 31 Jul 2010, 15:59 »

I have been asked to sing in a classy chamber choir for a couple of concerts (the first tomorrow).  For money.

Doing Monteverdi Beatus vir,  (but not the one you know); some unpublished Pachelbel pieces; Vivaldi Gloria.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3745 on: 31 Jul 2010, 17:58 »

Just saw the midnight showing of The Room at a 'take bear into the theatre' cinema.

It was absolutely brilliant.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3746 on: 31 Jul 2010, 18:31 »

I just bought a Kindle DX.

I've become much more interested in the Kindle ever since I learned it has a development kit. And the new Kindle was just announced for only $140. so tempted...

I approve of this message.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2010, 18:43 by jhocking »

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3747 on: 31 Jul 2010, 18:38 »

You're tearing me apart Simon.

Either that or all the bears in the cinema are.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #3748 on: 31 Jul 2010, 19:13 »

I watched The Room the other day, it made me uncharacteristically angry, and then I had nightmares about Tommy Wiseau.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #3749 on: 31 Jul 2010, 19:21 »

It's largely drinking and racism. Sigh.
I approve highly of one of these things...

Yesterday I went to the Auckland Wine and Food show which is basically a massive convention of vineyards and food producers with samples. I spent maaaaaybe $100 on sauces and stuff. FUCK YEAH SAUCES.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 81   Go Up