Baking: Science For Hungry People!
- 7 (24.1%)
Alliance Rogue? I Have Some Standards
- 2 (6.9%)
T-Shirts and Aprons - YAY!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT (Weekly Comic Thread) May 31-June 4, 2010 (1676-1680)  (Read 70577 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCT (Weekly Comic Thread) May 31-June 4, 2010
« Reply #150 on: 02 Jun 2010, 12:51 »

I am extremely disappointed in Wil for using "bosoms" incorrectly!

The use of "bosoms" for a woman's breast is attested by the Oxford English Dictionary; that'll do for me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #151 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:04 »

Quote plz? I don't pay for OED access and all the other online dictionaries I see list it only in the singular.

Also, I am not entirely reassured by your post, since you just said the OED sanctions the use of "bosoms" (plural) for a woman's breast (singular), meaning that her two breasts would be what--bosoms upon bosoms?

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #152 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:15 »

Bosomss.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #153 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:22 »

Oh, and btw--making this into a bona-fide party was smart of Faye. Still no idea how it will go, but that definitely takes care of my objections from when we first heard about this gathering--at a party full of people, Faye and Angus can flirt in relative privacy and not have the kind of awkwardness that would have ensued if it was just Dora, Marten, Marigold, Faye, and Angus all on the couch together, as I'd originally thought.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #154 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:27 »

She should stop being a manipulative passive-aggressive bitch towards Angus, and start being a plain old manipulative aggressive bitch towards anyone she wants stuff from
and this would help her in what way?
It gets you everywhere in life.

Nice people finish last and all that jazz.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 13:30 by Karilyn »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #155 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:37 »

Quote plz? I don't pay for OED access and all the other online dictionaries I see list it only in the singular.

Also, I am not entirely reassured by your post, since you just said the OED sanctions the use of "bosoms" (plural) for a woman's breast (singular), meaning that her two breasts would be what--bosoms upon bosoms?

A Bosom bundle?  Bouquet?  Banquet?  Maybe it's a gaggle of bosom.  Or perhaps a 'murder' if it's that time of the month?
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 13:41 by Tuitsuro »

lunakitten

• Plantmonster
« Reply #156 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:47 »

It gets you everywhere in life.

Nice people finish last and all that jazz.
I suppose that depends on what part of the race is important to you.

Marigold needs somone to help her see that she's got innate worth as a person- and that beauty is more about who you are, that how much you look like the people on TV. Until she can see that, it's not gonna matter who she bangs- she'll still hate herself and never be happy- a lesson Faye is learning, I think. I mean Raven has the healthiest attitude towards casual sex, and she's pretty secure in herself- I think that goes together.  Marten shows the best attitude towards a relationship, and I haven't seen him anywhere near as insecure as Faye, Dora or especialy Marigold.

connathan

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #157 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:27 »

Breast can be used singularly or in the plural to describe the woman's bust as a whole (and that one is definitely only ever a singular!) like you say that a robin has a red breast, that's singular, it's the whole chest region...and bosoms can be in the plural too, I'm pretty sure, though the singular is more common, in the sense of the bust.

ross_teneyck

• Not quite a lurker
  • This sentence is self-referential.
    • http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~teneyck
« Reply #158 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:33 »

The Encarta dictionary (which is the one I happen to have at hand) sez:

bosom [bzzəm]
noun (plural bosoms)
1.  somebody's chest: the chest of a man or woman
2.  woman's breasts: the breasts of a woman
3.  woman's breast: either of the breasts of a woman (dated)
4.  clothing covering breasts: the part of a garment that covers a woman's breasts
5.  protective place: a familiar source of protection, security, or affection (literary)
back in the bosom of her family
6.  seat of emotion: the place where emotions are felt (literary)

adjective
close in friendship: describes a friend to whom somebody is very close (informal)
a bosom buddy

[ Old English bōsm, origin ?]
Are wa yume? Soretomo maboroshi?

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #159 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:34 »

If only Wil had seen the abortive trip over, he might have termed them (Robert) Frostian.

"Something there is that doesn't love a bra."

What's with Wil rockin' the young Mark Twain look? Is that mostly for his work at the bar, or just a general style choice?
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 14:38 by Mad Cat »
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #160 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:00 »

With Wil, probably a mix of both
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #161 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:25 »

Yeah, after all, the primary reason he was hired is that his sense of style fits perfectly to the pub's atmosphere. And in such an environment, he may be loosing all restraints he may have had put on his romantic tendancies. Shit, he may even end up producing decent neo-romantic poetry, in this context.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #162 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:31 »

Quote plz?

I don't have a full OED either.  My source is The New Oxford Dictionary of English (1998), which is a big fat volume from OUP a bit like the Encarta one, but with less encyclopaedia bits. It says (copy typed):

bosom noun a woman's chest: her ample bosom | [mass noun] the dress offered a fair display of bosom.
* (usu. bosoms) a woman's breast. * a part of a woman's dress covering the chest. * etc...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #163 on: 02 Jun 2010, 16:05 »

1. Always great to see the rest of the cast, even if only for a boob-gag.

2. The hair-detailing continues to be refined.  Far less spotty and streaky than when first introduced. the most improvement being Dora's.  Though Tai's looks like someone smashed an egg over her head (not being negatively critical, as I have said, good art processes are a continually being-refined effort).

3. Not sure I like Wil with the facial hair, but the suspenders and bow-tie definitely look good on him.

4. Tai & Dora, my favourite sexually open promiscious (well, mentally for the latter, of course) commentary pair 8-) .

5. Classical literary references + a nice set bosom(s) = For. The. Win.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 16:56 by pendrake »

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #164 on: 02 Jun 2010, 17:16 »

What's with Wil rockin' the young Mark Twain look? Is that mostly for his work at the bar, or just a general style choice?
Eh, at least he doesn't look like a wuss now.

Hey, a person can be whatever he wants to be, whether a terrible poet or a badass rockstar, but you gotta admit that Wil without the facial hair looked kind of sissy.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #165 on: 02 Jun 2010, 17:56 »

All that aside, I am extremely disappointed in Wil for using "bosoms" incorrectly! Of all people you think he'd know! He seems to read a fair amount of 19th c. lit, and that stuff is saturated in the (correct!) usage of "bosom." He may as well have said she has a great "set of chests."

He may be a poet, but apart from his flowery prose about love and a lovely bit about his penis we have not seen much evidence of being well read that I remember aside from a couple of Hemingway references. Besides Penny does lower her standards for literature sometimes.

As a side note, another reason to be glad that Faye has turned this into a party is that Marigold does not look so overdressed any more, particularly compared to Will. Even though a lot of people are hating on her, I think everyone hates that feeling when you are too dressed up for a gathering.

EDIT: I just realised, are they drinking water??
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 18:09 by tinkerbell »

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #166 on: 02 Jun 2010, 20:57 »

He may be a poet, but apart from his flowery prose about love and a lovely bit about his penis we have not seen much evidence of being well read that I remember aside from a couple of Hemingway references.

Well, look at his vocabulary in that poetry, and also its style. People don't get vocabulary out of nowhere--it comes from reading. And antiquated vocabulary (as some of his is) comes from antiquated reading materials. Also, if his poetry is Romantic or mid-Victorian in style, I am gonna assume it's because he's read Romantic and mid-Victorian works that have servd him as inspiration, rather than that he's channeling a very poor 19th century poet or just "coincidentally/accidentally" writes in a very marked, time-specific style.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #167 on: 02 Jun 2010, 21:13 »

First Marty, then Wil, then Angus.

Why does it seem that the only way male characters other than Steve enter relationships is by acting really lame and pathetic until the woman decides 'Well, at least he's not a philandering jerk'?  I wish women worked that way in real life.  I'd be a freaking casanova.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #168 on: 02 Jun 2010, 22:44 »

As a side note, while I am not a huge fan of Penelope I loved the comment.

As to the relationship thing mentioned, with Marten it wasn't him being pathetic in my view. It was more that a lot of shit went on, he was interested in Faye, Dora was interested in him, and Faye was interested as well but she was too unstable for a relationship.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #169 on: 02 Jun 2010, 23:06 »

Dora was, if not interested, at least attracted the first time she ever saw him (#75) and was definitely interested by the time Faye locked her out of the apartment (#118).
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 23:08 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #170 on: 03 Jun 2010, 02:42 »

Hee! Panel 4 Hanners is crazy-awesome-cute.
Also "Baking is science for hungry people" t-shirts now plz.

Just one question; where the hell did Marigold get to? In panel 1 she's right where Marten is in the other panels, but there;s no moer room left in the kitchen for her to have gone right, so either she's
a) merged with/phased through the counter-top
b) made a dash for the open spaces of the living room now that there are five other people in a kitchen barely big enough for two
c) squished up against Marten
d) behind the "camera"
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 02:47 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #171 on: 03 Jun 2010, 03:14 »

Shit, now I want strawberry-rhubarb pie. Fortunately, it's the full season for both these products. I'll be baking tonight. Yay!
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #172 on: 03 Jun 2010, 03:17 »

Faye's bosom is Archimedean! If last night's strip was for the Literature majors, tonight's is for we mathematicians. Because it is full of pie.  :-D

What on earth is that clear blue fluid Marten's pouring from the bottle with a skull on the label? Finnish vodka? Baijiu? Romulan ale? And then there's the mysterious box labelled Vengeance. Beer possibly? Cooper's Sparkling Ale is well known for its laxative properties...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #173 on: 03 Jun 2010, 03:55 »

Faye's bosom is Archimedean!
It doesn't have any corners, so I'd rather call it Riemannian. For good measure, I'll also link to a trap.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #174 on: 03 Jun 2010, 04:12 »

What!  No sugar pie?

I demand that you include that tasty and oh-so OTT Quebecois contribution to dessert.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

matachin

• Plantmonster
« Reply #175 on: 03 Jun 2010, 05:19 »

We've all seen mad scientists.  Some of us have seen mad social scientists.
With panel 2, Hanners is edging towards the madgirl range of the culinary arts.  either that or she's done a little too much sugar & a bit less sleep then she should have.

I'll put down 5 on the possibility that Tai, Dora or both make a pie joke that is misconstrued or has to be explained to Marigold.

What!  No sugar pie?

I'm not so certain of the wisdom of combining baked sugary goods with Old Cancer Mule.  It sounds like the same formula/result as Taco Bell + tequila.

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #176 on: 03 Jun 2010, 05:44 »

I don't think we've seen Hanners this happy in forever
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #177 on: 03 Jun 2010, 06:09 »

Without reading the other comments on here, I posit the following:

Dora's been looking for someone to open a "pastry shop" in the "basement" of the store for a while.

"OCDelightful Delicacies by Hannelore"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #178 on: 03 Jun 2010, 06:57 »

I'd want to see the pastry shop happen just to see the requisite scene with the health inspector.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #179 on: 03 Jun 2010, 07:31 »

I'd want to see the pastry shop happen just to see the requisite scene with the health inspector.
When Hanelore puts him in the autoclave to make sure he's* clean enough to enter her kitchen...

*Or she I suppose, but pain-humour is always funnier when it's a guy.  :angel:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #180 on: 03 Jun 2010, 08:18 »

Die, ladybug, die.

Compumyst

« Reply #181 on: 03 Jun 2010, 08:21 »

Am I the only one that thinks we need a shirt made of Hanner's last comment about "science for hungry people"?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #182 on: 03 Jun 2010, 08:47 »

Am I the only one that thinks we need a shirt made of Hanner's last comment about "science for hungry people"?
No?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #183 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:10 »

I concur. I mean, she's literally correct...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #184 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:19 »

I don't think we've seen Hanners this happy in forever
Not since she discovered that LOUD was FUN at least, I think...
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 09:27 by Mr_Rose »

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #185 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:31 »

Just one question; where the hell did Marigold get to?
~*snip*~
d) behind the "camera"

She's behind Marty.  She may also be squished up against him, though I'd expect to see a different expression on him if that were so -- maybe she's squished back against the wall to avoid human contact.

For some reason, I really like panel 2 -- just something about the framing "WTF" expressions from Marten and Angus in the foreground with pie-bearing Faye and Hanners in the middle.  Although I am amused by the fact that Faye is holding the banana cream pie in the throwing position in panel 4.  ^_^

Die, ladybug, die.

I, too, was quite amused by the fridge note.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Tanman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #186 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:38 »

A whole strip devoted to tasty pies? Either this is a mondo "Three's Company" setup or someone hit the bong while storyboarding...

Mmmmmm... Would you like to taste my juicy pie?

Analyst

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #187 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:48 »

I'll put down 5 on the possibility that Tai, Dora or both make a pie joke that is misconstrued or has to be explained to Marigold.

Hair pie?  Even money.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #188 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:54 »

Ummm, I didn't say that - this is what I said:

What!  No sugar pie?

I demand that you include that tasty and oh-so OTT Quebecois contribution to dessert.

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #189 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:55 »

MMM...Banana Cream Pie!

To be honest, I'd also go for a good coconut cream pie.  But I have not had a really good one since the passing of my great aunt Rosina.   :cry:

But I could go for a Hannelore t-shirt about baking and science.   :wink:
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 23:16 by Tobimaro »

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #190 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:57 »

No offence but Agatha Hetrodyne is more my idea of an attractive blonde mad scientist rather than Hanners

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #191 on: 03 Jun 2010, 10:14 »

Oh no it looks like Marigold and Hanners are having a cute-off. :wink:
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #192 on: 03 Jun 2010, 10:15 »

Hanners could autoclave the health inspector but there's more precedent for making him floss his teeth.

I wonder if she'd realize that there's something wrong with her mother's approach.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #193 on: 03 Jun 2010, 11:14 »

1. Mmm, banana cream pie...  *Homer drool*   Though Baker's Square's French Silk pie remains my addictive (addicted) guilty pleasure.

2. I too find Hannelore's new discovery and love of baking cute ("PIES! Pies pies pies pies!"), but I am surprised the process of baking has not set off her OCD.  Baking (and cooking in general) is not exactly a "clean" act :wink: .

3. I agree that Agatha Heterodyne is indeed a more attractive mad scientist, but she is more about coffee than pastries though: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20071015

4. "Baking is like Science for Hungry People" would make another great clothing logo.  (Also still waiting for the "I'm OCDelightful!" shirt)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #194 on: 03 Jun 2010, 12:25 »

Rejoice t-shirt fans!

@jephjacques: Welp, guess I have to make a "baking is science for hungry people" shirt now. I kinda thought I might.
39 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #195 on: 03 Jun 2010, 12:27 »

Squee! Finally a tshirt design I can get behind! (Well, there WAS the Indiana Jones-as-God one...)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #196 on: 03 Jun 2010, 13:09 »

What about an Apron you can get behind?

@jephjacques: working on the "baking is science" design now. it's gonna be really cute. I think we'll do aprons too!
19 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #197 on: 03 Jun 2010, 13:30 »

Admittedly it's more relevant to quiche rather than pie, but there's an existing T-shirt design that could be readily adapted into a culinary reference.

SCIENCE IS A HERB NOW
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #198 on: 03 Jun 2010, 13:52 »

I think Hannelore's okay, so long as she has access to pastuerized eggs and ultra-pasteurized milk products.  It's still messy, but at least it's deliciously messy. 

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #199 on: 03 Jun 2010, 14:01 »

I'm a bit surprised by so much people considering the idea of baking (or cooking in general) being science as novel. Have you never heard of molecular gastronomy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up