THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 04:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who likes Podscasts?  (Read 4475 times)

Chorbalan

• Not quite a lurker
Who likes Podscasts?
« on: 05 Jun 2010, 01:50 »

SO who likes to hear people talk about pointless shit? What are some of you guys' favourite podcasts if you listen to any? I really only listen to Adam Carolla since his pointless rants are quite funny most of the time and the man can bitch about anything and make it funny.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: Who likes Podscasts?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2010, 04:35 »

Stuff You Missed In History Class & How Stuff Works are two awesome podcasts, and both by howstuffworks.com

that and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is pretty much what I listen to.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2010, 05:05 »

I listen to Freakanomics podcasts, which are pretty interesting! I also get some grammar podcasts, which are less interesting, but I don't know what other writing and grammar-y linguistics-y podcasts I could get.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2010, 16:28 »

podcasts are currently my primary form of media entertainment. here's a few good ones:

www.escapepod.org (science fiction podcast magazine)
www.pseudopod.org (horror podcast magazine)
www.podcastle.org (fantasy podcast magazine)
www.variantfrequencies.com (one of the best fiction podcasts around, which sadly just ended)
www.podiobooks.com (free audiobooks in podcast form)
www.mikebennettpodcast.com (the various podcasts of mike bennett. currently running his fantastic vampire novel, Underwood and Flinch)

www.alternativetentacles.com/batcast.php (music)

www.fsrn.org (news)
www.piratepartyradio.com (copywrite, privacy, ect. news)
www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal (crazy news)
www.theonion.com/articles/latest/radio-news (comedic news)

www.scientificamerican.com/podcast (science)
www.skepticality.com (science and skepticism podcast)
www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk (skeptical cryptozoology)
www.shrinkrapradio.com (psychology)

www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts (too much to list)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2010, 18:45 »

little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2010, 05:21 »

The History of Rome: Comprehensive as shit, covering the entire history of the Roman Empire from Aeneas through Romulus Augustulus and the downfall of the Western Empire (that's dang near 2000 years, folks). Wish there were equivalent podcasts for other fascinating periods (Classical Greece, for one) but understandable that not many other people have the balls for such a massive undertaking. Pretty dang funny at times, as well!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:35 »

I follow News, Current Affairs and Business.  I'm also interested in Science, Law, History, lots of things.

It depends on my mood to what my favourites are but here are some that I look forward to each week (the news is partly out of interest but partly out of obligation[1]):

Friday Night Comedy Podcast (BBC): Satirical humour.  This is actually 2 to 4 shows that change according to the season.  I find it interesting and relaxing.

World Technology Podcast (PRI): A podcast that looks at the social impact of technology and innovative ideas to actually improve people's lives

Material World (BBC): A round-up of the week's science news in an entertaining way
Quirks and Quarks (CBC): Another look at the week's science news

I find both informative and entertaining.

All in the Mind (ABC Radio National): A look at research in psycology.  I like it because it's so varied: one week could be looking at the future of AI and another week looking at how people who've witnessed atrocities are being helped.

Media Talk (The Guardian): A lively discussion of the week's media news[2]
Mediawatch (Radio NZ National): A look at the week's media news in New Zealand.  I like it because the style is a discussion (so maintains interest), and it gives me a window into both NZ and the media there.

The Law Report (ABC Radio National): A look at the legal system in Australia.  I like it because I'm interested in the Law (and Rights) and the presenter is able to keep your interest.
Law in Action (BBC): A look at the legal system in the UK.  Again it's informative, about a subject I like and it does keep your interest.

In Our Time (BBC): This looks at the history of ideas.  It maintains interest by having a presenter and 3 expert guests and it covers some interesting topics.
Radio 4 Choice (BBC): This is a documenatry chosen to represent the BBC.  It's usually a little off-beat but there are quite a few gems in there.

Best of the Today Programme (BBC): Snippets from a 3 hour current affairs programme.  I like it because it gives me an idea of the topics of the day but, as it's only snippits, it doesn't usually take for ever to go through.

Face the Facts (BBC): Hard hitting investigative series.  I like it for the depth and insight it brings to issues.

Business Daily (BBC): A 20 minute programme that covers business and business issues.  It's long enough to cover the business news, debate issues and have an essay from a contributor but short enough not to be a pain.  I like the balance of topics covered and the fact that it can debate and have essays.
Listen to Lucy (FT): A wry look at business.  By looking at business from a different angle, you're entertained and, without realising it, informed too.  It gives a good insight to management fads.

White Coat Black Art (CBC): A look at issues in medicine.  It's insightful and the presenter, being a doctor, is able to draw more out from the people he interviews (and add his own experience).

Kino im Kopf (M 94.5): A 10-20 minute look at the cinema.  I'm interested in films, it allows me to practise my German and the podcast is long enough to cover a lot without getting too long.

Here's a full list of the podcasts I listen to:

Key:
TS - Temporarily suspended (unsubscribed simply so can keep up with them). I will re-subscribe when I have more time to listen to podcasts
EE - Every episode (i.e. if I come a few days later I will make sure I download every episode of this programme).
LE - Last episode (i.e. I only download the last episode, and may be others if there has been a large gap).

ABC Radio National:
All the Mind (LE)
The Law Report (EE)
The Media Report (no episodes since January so suspect this programme has ended)

BBC:
A Point of View (TS)
Best of the Today programme (EE)
Business Daily (EE)
Crossing Continents
Documentaries (TS)
File on Four (EE)
Friday Night Comedy Podcast (EE)
Global News (Every AM programme)[1]
Health Check (TS)
In Our Time (LE)
In Touch (EE)
Law in Action (EE)
Material World (EE)
Newspod (EE)
Profile (TS)
Radio 4 Choice
Start the Week (TS)
The Media Show (EE)
Thinking Allowed (LE)
Today in Parliament
World Business News (EE)

CBC:
Dispatches (TS)
Quirks and Quarks (EE)
The Current (TS)
The House
The World This Weekend (EE)
White Coat Black Art (EE)
World at Six

Deutsche Welle:
Journal D (TS)
Nachrichten (LE)
Wirtschaft (TS)
Wissenschaft (LE)

FT.com:
FT Digital Business (EE)
FT Management (EE)
Listen to Lucy (EE)

Guardian Online:
Media Talk (EE)
Media Talk USA (EE)

hr3:
hr3 Kino-News (EE)

M 94,5:
Kino im Kopf (EE)

NPR:
NPR Hourly News (LE)
On the Media (LE)

O3:
O3 Movie-Minute (EE)
O3 Nachrichten (LE)

PRI:
PRI's The World Technology Podcast (EE)

Radio New Zealand National:
Focus on Politics (LE)
Mediawatch (EE)

[1] After all, in any democratic country voters the selection commitee for the next Government.
[2] Whilst it's informative, the BBC's Media Show isn't as entertaining.  I like both but look forward to Media Talk.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2010, 10:45 by HiFranc »
Francisco

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:40 »

I follow music podcasts. Seattle's local radio station KEXP has several:

Song A Day: They give you a free song every day from artists they've been playing a lot.
Live Performances Podcast: They often have in-studio on-air live performances, and more often than not these sessions end up for download via this podcast.
Music That Matters: An hour-long mix created by the DJs, contains tracks that've been getting a lot of airplay.

For a while that was the only way I bothered getting new music, but then I got all internet savvy.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2010, 23:01 »

*has never listened to a podcast*
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2010, 06:57 »

thanks for posting!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2010, 08:03 »

*has never listened to a podcast*

Have you ever/ever wanted to record a show off the radio[1] because the show itself interests you?  Have you ever/ever wanted to set up a timer recording for a radio show?

If the answer is yes to either of the questions then you may want to have a look at what podcasts there are available.  A podcast is just a programme that is made to be downloaded to an MP3/video player and listened to/watched at your convenience.

Here's the BBC Podcast page, CBC's Podcast page, NPR's Podcast Directory, ABC Radio National's Podcast page and Radio NZ's Podcast page.  Most radio stations (and many more operators) produce podcasts.

[1] If you've got a Video iPod the same applies to TV?[2]
[2] I only have an audio one.
Francisco
Pages: [1]   Go Up