THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 09 Jun 2024, 16:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Quadrennial Global Round-Ball Extravaganza  (Read 46669 times)

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: The Quadrennial Global Round-Ball Extravaganza
« Reply #250 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:29 »

Sunday will be an amazing day of football.

England v Germany in the afternoon, Argentina v Mexico in the evening.

Definitely a day for the pub.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #251 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:39 »

I'm only being on topic. Jesus.

why would you ever be on topic in this forum

that's just not how these things work
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #252 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:57 »

I see your point, Wolves. I don't particularly agree with that article at all. I don't know if it's always obvious when I'm joking. However, I would note that you keep talking about all these great clubs owned by their supporters or whatever (most of which seem to be pretty minor league?) yet you're still watching the world cup. Isn't that kind of like wearing a Poison Girls shirt to a Spice Girls gig?

I have never actually in this thread said all football was bad, all sport was bad, football should be banned, etc. I've just said the world cup is a mega-capitalist nationalist dickwagging contest, that the way it is celebrated is disquietingly close to fascist aesthetics, and that it and other sports competitions on the same scale, particularly the olympics, come almost pre-packaged with abuses of human rights and civil liberties which are never properly called to account because they are sacred cows which no one has the balls to touch.

Of course sport or music or any other liesure activity is not inherently bad, but its modes of production and distribution can be. I'd say that high level football is pretty fucked up, same with a lot of other big sports. The big clubs are cynical money-making machines. Same with most of the music industry, probably to a deeper level than in sport. Same with the vast bulk, economically speaking, of the movie industry. And the publishing industry. And so on. There is a distinct difference between the will of the people, shallow populism, and laying back and begging capitalism to shit down your neck.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #253 on: 23 Jun 2010, 17:31 »

Whether sport or music has the worst set of corrupt apparatus surrounding it really depends on how wide of a net you want to cast, but my money is on sport. PEDs/disregard for safety, organized crime & gambling, and some third world farm systems make for an unholy mess sometimes. There's obviously a lot of good things about sport, but when you add in money, corruption and pride, you sometimes end up with shit like the Andrés Escobar murder. And as Khar pointed out, just because something is fine in principle doesn't mean we should ignore it when some fuckwits go and stick their dicks in it.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 23:00 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #254 on: 23 Jun 2010, 18:24 »

to kinda give credit to you argument there was a special on Current TV's Vanguard about Africa's "lost boys". it was a good documentary

http://current.com/shows/vanguard/92495403_soccers-lost-boys.htm
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #256 on: 24 Jun 2010, 00:13 »

youtube added a vuvuzela button

click the soccer ball icon
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #257 on: 24 Jun 2010, 00:18 »

Awesome. I've been reading the Guardian online's minute-by-minute reports, and for one of the games they mirrored the report to a version that had a constant vuvuzela drone in the background.

I must admit I've been guilty of occasionally doing a brief vuvuzela impression over mundane events in public places in the last few weeks.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #258 on: 24 Jun 2010, 00:27 »

Vuvuzela en chamade stop on a recent organ...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #259 on: 24 Jun 2010, 01:31 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeVhSMUSlnQ

What's great is hitting the vuvuzela button over the top of that guy's NNNG-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #260 on: 24 Jun 2010, 01:33 »

Also for the record that guy's NNNG-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's went for (in order):

11 seconds
12 seconds
and 9 seconds

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #261 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:00 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #262 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:13 »

I see the All Whites are wearing all black for today's game. Does that suggest that they mean business?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #263 on: 24 Jun 2010, 08:24 »

I do believe I just saw a New Zealand player doing some stepovers! Take that, Ronaldo!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #264 on: 24 Jun 2010, 08:52 »

Etymology of the name

Interesting, I didn't know this stuff!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #265 on: 24 Jun 2010, 09:10 »

That reminds me of something I heard from a historian on the radio just before the last World Cup, or the World Cup before it: apparently the term "football" was coined to refer not to a game played with the feet, but to a game played on foot - as opposed to on horseback. Hence so many sports that don't have much kicking at all in them being known nonetheless as football.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #266 on: 24 Jun 2010, 11:52 »

“Rugby” was also once known as “Football” and originally had almost the same set of rules as Soccer, though over time increasingly diverged.  The name “Rugby” comes from Rugby School in England.  Legend has it, during a Football match at that school, William Webb Ellis picked up the ball in his hands and ran with it over the goal line.  It didn’t count as an official goal, as you weren’t supposed to use your hands; but the referee remarked, it was a “jolly good ‘try’”, which, according to legend, is where that particular Rugby scoring term comes from.  The official Rugby Union was then formed in 1871 with a split in 1893 forming the Rugby League.

Haha that's so British

"you're a cheat but good show old chap"

Honda of Japan just ended the decent free-kick drought and was instantly compared to Cristiano Ronaldo by everyone ever because no one else scores free kicks.

Aurjay

« Reply #267 on: 24 Jun 2010, 13:35 »

This is one of those times were i wish i had a time machine. If i could have placed a bet saying Italy will finish last in its Group I'd be a rich man. Not too mention the money i would have made off of the Swiss beating Spain. O'well nice to dream.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #268 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:57 »

Okay. I am excited for today's matches, especially for the USA v Ghana one.

I feel like Ghana will have the support of the spectators, but the US has been playing really well.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #269 on: 26 Jun 2010, 02:02 »

No offence to all my American friends but I'd really really love Ghana as the only remaining African team to go as far as they can in the tournament.

Also after last night's shameful performance I really really want Brazil and Portugal to get punished for their footballing sins now. Mexico and Uruguay managed to play a hell of a game in very similar circumstances, why the fuck couldn't the Portuguese speakers?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #270 on: 26 Jun 2010, 06:05 »

Apparently an octopus named Paul, from the Oberhausen Sea Life Centre in Germany, has been successfully predicting the results for the World Cup matches. The octopus has a 100% success rate on his predictions.

srsly

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/World-Cup-Psychic-Octopus-Predicts-England-To-Lose-Match-To-Germany/Article/201006415654817?f=rss

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #271 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:01 »

Yeah, but, I mean, let's face facts: it doesn't take a psychic octopus to predict that England will lose to Germany in the knock-out stage of a World Cup.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #272 on: 26 Jun 2010, 09:17 »

Honda of Japan just ended the decent free-kick drought and was instantly compared to Cristiano Ronaldo by everyone ever because no one else scores free kicks.

I could swear I was in a stadium where that Giggs fellow scored from a free kick, but I suppose not.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #273 on: 26 Jun 2010, 10:54 »

It's a well-established fact that octopi are smart motherfuckers
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Aurjay

« Reply #274 on: 26 Jun 2010, 14:25 »

Well no surprise here that the USA team was beaten. As usual we gave up an early goal and then had to struggle to get even. Ghana goals we're nice and they deserved the win just sucks we can't seem to make it past the 1st round of knockout stages. Well time to start cheering for my backup team. Go England!!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #275 on: 26 Jun 2010, 14:35 »

Your backup team is England?

I hope you have a backup backup team.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #276 on: 26 Jun 2010, 15:16 »

Is it just me, or were those Ghana players really slide-tackley?  Either way, I'm not happy with how the US handled the overtime period, but I feel there were more than a few missed yellow cards in that game.

And yeah, England is completely boned.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Aurjay

« Reply #277 on: 26 Jun 2010, 16:25 »

They were extremely slide-tackle-happy and luckily one was bad and we got the PK. Sadly yes England is my back-up team but i think they are gonna finally wake up and take Germany even if Swartsteger(sp?) is gonna be back. If they lose than off to Uruguay i go

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #278 on: 26 Jun 2010, 18:10 »

I see your point, Wolves. I don't particularly agree with that article at all. I don't know if it's always obvious when I'm joking. However, I would note that you keep talking about all these great clubs owned by their supporters or whatever (most of which seem to be pretty minor league?) yet you're still watching the world cup. Isn't that kind of like wearing a Poison Girls shirt to a Spice Girls gig?

Fairly minor for the most part, yeah. I think the highest placed team that's supporter owned is Exeter City in League One (that's the third level down, due to the insanely confusing ranking of English football). Some draw decent crowds though, and clubs only tend to get taken over or set up by supporters when something disastrous happens so they'll be starting out from a low position and most of these takeovers/start-ups are fairly new.

But onto the world cup. One of the things I find fascinating about football is the duality of it. One the one hand you have the private businesses that care only for profit who run the clubs and the world cup. Then there are the fans. For them these institutions are permanent entities created essentially by the fans, but exploited by private enterprise. The teams they support simultaneously transcend and are in thrall to capital. Because capital gets everywhere, seeping into the fabric sometimes unnoticed. This duality gives rise to another interesting duality: simultaneously supporting football and then cataloguing and resisting its abuses against people. That's why a thread about the world cup should contain not only discussion of the game on the pitch but what human rights abuses are being committed in its name. The passion for the former actually seems to fuel the anger against the latter for many. For example, if you want to read about the horrible crimes committed by Premiership football clubs a good place to start would be 'The Beautiful Game; Searching For The Soul Of Football' by David Conn. A book by a committed Man City supporter, nobody but a football supporter would have done that level of research into Valley Parade, Hillsborough or Arsenal's move from Highbury to the Emirates. Or there's 'When Saturday Comes', an excellent football magazine that devotes a large amount of its pages to detailing the terrible things done in the name of football. For many, critique of football itself goes hand in hand with being a football supporter.

Football teams differ from bands or other forms of entertainment in that so much is about geography. I'm anti-nationalist but I don't have a problem with people having some friendly regional competition. Football teams form a focus of belonging, a way of asserting regional identity without actually (or perhaps I should say necessarily) doing any harm to anyone from another region. Like York City being described by Conn as a focus for working class people who live in a place that's become massively built around preserving itself as a tourist attraction for outsiders. But the football club is theirs, to its fans it belongs to the locals and allows them to show a different face to the outside world. So for a small example from the world cup, there was an England fan being interviewed on TV after the drawn match with Algeria. He was saying he'd been hanging out with Algerian fans after the match, and they'd said their team had played with heart but the English side had lacked passion and he'd had to agree with them. The important bit there is the hanging out with the Algerian fans. Ordinary people from two different countries coming together to slag off England's inability to score. Or then there's the humanisation of North Koreans. When it comes to the game the dictatorship isn't so important for a little bit and the men on the field are treated as fellow human beings. The regime most of them live under isn't brushed under the carpet but the political conditions of their country isn't the only significant fact about the team and their fans anymore. They're fellow football supporters, to be commiserated with when they too take an all-too-familiar kicking at the hands of Portugal. I'm pretty thoroughly drunk, but I hope that at least suggests some reasons why I find enjoying such a sponsor-drenched and abuse-laden event as the world cup acceptable.

I'm looking forward to England vs Germany. I reckon Germany will most likely win, but I have high hopes England will get it together enough to make it a good match. They don't usually bow out without a fight.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #279 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:33 »

Wow. Germany are playing some nice passes but England's defence is just awful.

EDIT: Oh hey, so's Germany's! Fancy that. Also, expect another press release tomorrow about how FIFA/Sepp Blatter definitely absolutely no way no how will never ever introduce goal-line technology because it's not needed.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 07:40 by Inlander »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #280 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:50 »

It's enough to make me want to support England.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #281 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:51 »

God fucking damn it Blatter.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #282 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:08 »

On S.B.S. here in Australia Les Murray was trying to start up the video technology debate, but Craig Foster, mercifully back to his usual excellent, calm, rational self now that Australia's been knocked out of the tournament, made the excellent point that all you really need is another official whose only job is to watch the goal area and make decisions on everytnhing that happens in there.

Aurjay

« Reply #283 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:11 »

they are already doing that in UEFA.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #284 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:23 »

Yeah, I think his point was "Sepp Blatter's an idiot" "If they're doing it in the Europa Cup, why not in the World Cup?" Specifically, he was refuting Blatter's arguments that it was impossible to change things because technology would be too expensive, difficult to implement, couldn't be implemented equally at all levels, blah blah blah.

Anyway enough on the computer, it's 3-1 now and I'm going back to watch the match!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #285 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:26 »

Okay so at this rate that disallowed goal's going to be pretty much irrelevent anyway.

Sentence nobody ever thought anyone would say until this World Cup: "I really do enjoy watching this German team play football."
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 08:29 by Inlander »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #286 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:54 »

Germany outplayed England. The English are going to bitch and moan about that goal, but the fact is that their defense was .... shit.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #287 on: 27 Jun 2010, 09:04 »

Germany's attacking play was awe-inspiring. They deserve to go far. No disrespect to Mexico, but Ger/Arg would have the potential to be the game of the tourney.

The best thing you can say about that England team is that most of the worst offenders will have retired by if not Euro 12, at least the next WC. Should stop humouring the press and the star names and get started on replacing them now or they'll have the same problems for another 10 years with the next 'golden generation.'

Re: the goal lines, I believe the idea with the extra Europa officials is to essentially adopt that as the new model of officiating, they just had to try it out somewhere first. So hopefully the next major tournament will have 'goal line judges' or whatever it is they're called (it is pretty funny in the Europa when they wander onto the pitch and just kinda hang out with the fullbacks, so I'm all for it).
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 09:05 by amok »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #288 on: 27 Jun 2010, 09:16 »

The disallowed goal will ultimately provide comfort to English fans because it will allow them to pretend, at least to some extent, that they were cheated out of a chance to be competetive in a match in which, in reality, a youthful and enthusiastic opponent ruthlessly exposed their almost complete lack of meaningful defence.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #289 on: 27 Jun 2010, 09:27 »

Hurrah, all the english speaking nations have been knocked out so I guess we can close this thread. Mods?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #290 on: 27 Jun 2010, 10:53 »

The disallowed goal will ultimately provide comfort to English fans because it will allow them to pretend, at least to some extent, that they were cheated out of a chance to be competetive in a match in which, in reality, a youthful and enthusiastic opponent ruthlessly exposed their almost complete lack of meaningful defence.

I don't know about that, I think this World Cup has proved that English fans are more than willing to call out the national team on their poor performance. As much as Capello might try to claim that the poor decision turned the momentum against England, I think it's clear to most fans that the team has consistently played well below its potential. It would be ridiculous to argue that a match where England were lucky to lose by three rather than six hung on a single goal being disallowed. I fully anticipate the blame being laid largely at Capello's feet. One of the biggest benefits of hiring foreign managers is that the nation can always blame someone foreign for their disappointment, rather than examining what is so wrong with English football as a whole that has led to increasingly dismal performances from apparently world class players over the last half a century.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #291 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:09 »

Hurrah, all the english speaking nations have been knocked out so I guess we can close this thread. Mods?

In my experience roughly 90% of Germans are fluent in English, so hold your horses, happy boy

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #292 on: 27 Jun 2010, 19:26 »

anyway. karma('66) strikes back.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #293 on: 28 Jun 2010, 17:58 »

Guys I think it's time we stop glorifying Mexicans from all over playing a Satanic game.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #294 on: 28 Jun 2010, 18:49 »

I was really hoping he was going to ask "What letter does smurder start with?"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #295 on: 28 Jun 2010, 23:41 »

NEIN

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #296 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:56 »

Iie.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #297 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:24 »

Ja!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #298 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:50 »

Well, it appears the nation of strange porn has been eliminated by Paraguay. Bummer.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #299 on: 29 Jun 2010, 14:25 »

I was in Holland when they beat Slovakia and I was keeping track of the match from the sound coming out of the pubs. There were just waves of cheers every time a goal was scored or nearly scored, and at least 30% of the people I saw were wearing orange. It's such a patriotic country, I never knew!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up