THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 May 2024, 08:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Artsy and Crafty  (Read 4250 times)

tinysmidgen

• Obscure cultural reference
It's Artsy and Crafty
« on: 02 Aug 2010, 19:48 »

Before I commence my new project, I'd like some feedback from you wonderful people...and the few robots out there >.> Anyways, I want to construct a miniature castle out of rocks and mortar, just like a real castle. Should I go for it, or scrap it for too tedious? 
Size: roughly two foot square and about 16"-24" high.
Layout: Multiple rooms with spiral staircases and the like
Weapons: Damned right there are going to be miniature siege weapons to go with it.
A raptor with a sword should never be trusted, even if the raptor doesn't have thumbs.

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
Re: It's Artsy and Crafty
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2010, 04:31 »

Look up 1:12 scale dollhouse miniaturists. They don't tend to work with rocks and mortar but they might have some good tips on how to do other things!
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2010, 05:03 »

working with stone is damn hard, especially with smaller pieces of it. know thy stone, certain kinds dont like getting cut and break, some kinds look fugly when cut, and some are just too hard to cut with hobby tools. and don't forget that there'll be dust. lots of it. everywhere. so get a dust sucker (or whatever you guys call it) and always wear a mask. also use glue instead of mortar, you'll thank me.

i'd say go ahead, cut some blocks and try building an arch first. if you are not bored off ass after the fifth block, you're good to go.
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

tinysmidgen

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2010, 05:55 »

@Nettle: Where on earth would I find those..

@ibrahim: The only problem with glue is that I'd need a Metal & Stone epoxy which is seven dollars a tube. The mortar I plan on using is Fast Setting concrete patch, which is about ten dollars for a ten pound bucket. (I work at a hardware store so it's easier to weigh my options while I work  :-P) There is, however, a concrete adhesive that comes in a caulking form that might be a lot easier to work with... Aside from that, I do plan on using a chisel and such, and a Dremel to make the stones fit better.
A raptor with a sword should never be trusted, even if the raptor doesn't have thumbs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up