THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 08:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Well, this is going well. How many more pages will the date take up? (counting a page of Hanners fleeing from scary Sven)

0 - we cut to aftermath Monday
- 4 (10.5%)
- 2 (5.3%)
- 6 (15.8%)
- 10 (26.3%)
4-5
- 9 (23.7%)
6-8
- 2 (5.3%)
9-11
- 1 (2.6%)
13+
- 4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly comic thread 2010 September 27 - October 1  (Read 65660 times)

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
Re: Weekly comic thread 2010 September 27 - October 1
« Reply #200 on: 01 Oct 2010, 10:45 »

Ha, well at least Sven stopped himself from further rhapsodizing over Faye's, er, attributes.  He may still have his mojo, but as shown in panel 3, he has lost his hap.   :-D  The expressions in this strip really cracked me up, the last panel in particular.  Sven's got that "WTF is happeneing to me?" face, and Hanners seems to be trying to decide between RUN AWAY and KILL IT WITH FIRE.  She'll probably calm down once she realizes that Sven isn't actually going to try and "do her."

Dude is being Honest.

I agreed with almost all of your post, but this ^ mainly applies to what Sven was saying before he "complimented" Hanners.  I think at that point he was just panicking and blurted out what sounded complimentary in his head -- it's not dishonest, it's just a possibly hyperbolic knee-jerk reaction.  I really liked what you had his reptile-brain saying, lol.

Hanners is definitely experiencing a true-to-life practice date (the Obsessed with the Ex date, as Is It Cold phrased it).  Sometimes even dates with boys who like you and mean well will go terribly awry.

BTW Carl-E, I don't know of an actual edamame song, but the way Hannelore was sounding it out and repeating syllables made it seem like she was making up a song or at least saying the name in a sing-songy way because she liked the sound of it.

And OMG you guys, I saw what Jeph posted before he redacted it, and EVERYTHING IS CLEAR NOW.

>_>
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #201 on: 01 Oct 2010, 11:36 »

[snip amusing but no need to repeat the dialogue between various parts of Sven's brain. Wonders if Dr. ROFLPWN has read The Dragons of Eden.]

That being said, I don't really think he's being creepy and it's kind of a jerk move to be all "OMG RUN GURL". :/ Dude is being Honest. That is rare. I think we should be proud of Sven today.
I was joking about Hanners running, although she does look poised for flight. I am unclear why I should praise Sven for yet again reducing everything to sex when confronted with his real feelings. When he stops and takes an honest look at that, then there'll be time for praise. Right now, what you call 'honest,' I call deep in the financial district* of Denial City.

Of course, I know both Sven and his creator are waiting, breath bated, for my approval.

*Got to love those commentators. Though no doubt they would say that I had an accent...  :-D
Actually, I think accents tend to follow the same rules that the late great George Carlin laid down for driving speeds.

Have you ever noticed, in traffic, anybody going slower than you is an asshole, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac!
"Would you look at this asshole? Take a look at this asshole right here, just creeping along..."
"Woah, look at that maniac go!"

Because no one is driving my speed.

And OMG you guys, I saw what Jeph posted before he redacted it, and EVERYTHING IS CLEAR NOW.
You realize that now I have to go kill Kenny and frame you for it.

Or I could just save myself some effort. You bastard! (South Park has made this unisex… I think)

*Where exchanges are made, of course. :-D
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2010, 11:38 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #202 on: 01 Oct 2010, 12:42 »

I really liked today's comic.  :lol:

Also, all of you talking about how you do/do not like skinny women: you do realize it is equally as dehumanizing and insulting to us women to hear you proclaim curvy over skinny, since it still says "this is the standard that I think women ought to strive for to be attractive"?  If you personally prefer curvy, fine, you can say that (although men tend to state their preferences about women ALL the time as though all of womanhood should care and rush to cater to them). But don't denigrate other body types or classify them as less desirable while you're doing so.

This is an interesting point by the way, but I think it's oversensitive.  I do not think hetero men in general believe that their standard ought to be followed, so much as it is their fantasy that it be followed.  I think men in general know they're superficial, and accept it, and assume that women understand that a discussion of whether curvy is better than skinny is only a discussion of preference and fantasy.  Why is calling a type of figure less than desirable to yourself an important judgment of that person?
I don't think that most hetero men that state type preference over other types equate such a preference to the universal value of the woman as a person.  I think what many people--even the specific men themselves--don't realize is that most heterosexual men generally think of women as having two distinct selves, the self that might or might not sleep with them and that the man might or might not want to sleep with, and the self that doesn't have anything to do with sex.  Why does sex have anything to do with actual universal value of the woman as a potential friend, neighbor, countryperson?  I think that even if a hetero man is less interested in a woman because she isn't as attractive, that has much less to do with a judgment of her mattering in a universal sense than it is a judgment of her mattering in a sense specific to the man, who is probably in general over-interested in women they find attractive because of how messed up society has tended to teach men to be regarding sex, bravado, masculinity, love, etc.

In other words, claiming that muscly guys are better than skinny guys should not be dehumanizing or insulting to skinny guys, because who is the claimant and why is their opinion of your viability as an object of attraction relevant to anything?  The answer is, respectively, it doesn't matter and it isn't unless you're with them or want to be with them.

In the end, maybe your ego doesn't like being thought of as not attractive.  But attraction is the poster boy of "eye of the beholder" and I think a whole lot of hetero guys assume that is understood.

deathwing107

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #203 on: 01 Oct 2010, 13:40 »

I really liked today's comic.  :lol:

Also, all of you talking about how you do/do not like skinny women: you do realize it is equally as dehumanizing and insulting to us women to hear you proclaim curvy over skinny, since it still says "this is the standard that I think women ought to strive for to be attractive"?  If you personally prefer curvy, fine, you can say that (although men tend to state their preferences about women ALL the time as though all of womanhood should care and rush to cater to them). But don't denigrate other body types or classify them as less desirable while you're doing so.

This is an interesting point by the way, but I think it's oversensitive.  I do not think hetero men in general believe that their standard ought to be followed, so much as it is their fantasy that it be followed.  I think men in general know they're superficial, and accept it, and assume that women understand that a discussion of whether curvy is better than skinny is only a discussion of preference and fantasy.  Why is calling a type of figure less than desirable to yourself an important judgment of that person?
I don't think that most hetero men that state type preference over other types equate such a preference to the universal value of the woman as a person.  I think what many people--even the specific men themselves--don't realize is that most heterosexual men generally think of women as having two distinct selves, the self that might or might not sleep with them and that the man might or might not want to sleep with, and the self that doesn't have anything to do with sex.  Why does sex have anything to do with actual universal value of the woman as a potential friend, neighbor, countryperson?  I think that even if a hetero man is less interested in a woman because she isn't as attractive, that has much less to do with a judgment of her mattering in a universal sense than it is a judgment of her mattering in a sense specific to the man, who is probably in general over-interested in women they find attractive because of how messed up society has tended to teach men to be regarding sex, bravado, masculinity, love, etc.

In other words, claiming that muscly guys are better than skinny guys should not be dehumanizing or insulting to skinny guys, because who is the claimant and why is their opinion of your viability as an object of attraction relevant to anything?  The answer is, respectively, it doesn't matter and it isn't unless you're with them or want to be with them.

In the end, maybe your ego doesn't like being thought of as not attractive.  But attraction is the poster boy of "eye of the beholder" and I think a whole lot of hetero guys assume that is understood.

Whether you agree with it or not, you have to admit that this is possibly the most educated response you'll ever read on a forum. Though for me lurking these forums and not usually posting, this is probably the forum with the most educated, or at least intelligent, people I ever read. Again, regardless if you would agree with those points or not.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #204 on: 01 Oct 2010, 17:46 »

ok, if anyone actually saw Jeph's pre-redaction, i'd be forever grateful to hear what it was...  (and if he'd rather no one else know, I won't tell!)  8-)    OR, was heliphyneau making a joke, and there was never a pre-redactation?   [yeah, i guess i fell for it.]

...Though I don't quite understand why he's completely losing his cool now when he handled himself pretty well in front of other women....
For humor, I suppose.

Maybe Sven's off his game, maybe he just succumbed to a Freudian slip, maybe this kind of meta-hetero interaction is beyond me, but my reaction to his dialog in this strip is  [ ( WARNING: webcomic BLASPHEMY ) ]   that it doesn't sound like Sven to me...  (but who the heck am i to judge?)
In other words, it may now be canon, but it's not 'real'...?   (i.e., "Sven" is just being used to get a point across, or set up a Hannereaction, or a new arc, or something.  Again, that's beyond me, I don't know how to run a webcomic.)

But this is probably the exact kind of thing that will "turn Jeph into a ..."    Sorry! (Slinks away, ...)
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2010, 07:20 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #205 on: 01 Oct 2010, 18:43 »

Or it's Sven not being himself because he's trying not to be himself, which was A) the plan for this 'date, yes? and B) probably not something Sven is much accustomed to, as the world generally comes to him, not the other way around. Pair that up to him trying to recast whatever feelings he had for Faye in terms of sex, and this is what you get.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #206 on: 02 Oct 2010, 00:50 »

I was going to comment on Akima's lengthy response, but it seems to have vanished....  I was going to say that Akima sometimes protests too much, but was spot on this time. What I wanted to say further would be meaningless without the context, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #207 on: 02 Oct 2010, 02:14 »

I was going to comment on Akima's lengthy response, but it seems to have vanished....  I was going to say that Akima sometimes protests too much, but was spot on this time. What I wanted to say further would be meaningless without the context, though.
Yeah. I read my post responding to muffin-of-chaos. And then re-read it. And decided this was probably not the appropriate forum for one of my feminist diatribes. So I deleted it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #208 on: 02 Oct 2010, 04:00 »

Well Sven has too many issues to do a fake date right now.

Still its not the disaster I assumed it to be, yet.
Carpe Diem

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #209 on: 02 Oct 2010, 05:43 »

Well Sven has too many issues to do a fake date right now.

Still its not the disaster I assumed it to be, yet.

The key word, of course, is "yet".
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #210 on: 02 Oct 2010, 08:25 »

It's getting awfully close, though!  But it's not a real disaster until something's on fire
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #211 on: 02 Oct 2010, 15:22 »

omg, I saw Akima's post before she deleted it, and EVERYTHING IS CLEAR NOW  I agreed with you too, it was a nice diatribe.

I think men in general know they're superficial, and accept it, and assume that women understand that a discussion of whether curvy is better than skinny is only a discussion of preference and fantasy.  

Dave Barry offers this scientific chart:  (sorry, just paraphrased; i no longer have the book, DB's True Stories of Adulthood)

What Women Look For in a Man:  Honesty, caring, maturity, a career, a willingness to help with children and housework, and a reasonable level of attractiveness. (There was a lot more I can't remember...)
What Men Look For in a Woman:  Gazongas.

Also, does anyone else see the word "HORNE" in the background, through Sven's window?  
Subliminal or coincidence?
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2010, 15:31 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Scott Haley

• Not quite a lurker
Edamame Song
« Reply #212 on: 02 Oct 2010, 18:05 »

The Rhapsody music service has a song called "Edamame.". It's by Little Miss Ann, from the album "Music for Tots."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #213 on: 02 Oct 2010, 18:10 »

They must be at Lhasa Cafe.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #214 on: 04 Oct 2010, 00:05 »

Friday Question:  Well, this is going well. How many more pages will the date take up? (counting a page of Hanners fleeing from scary Sven)

0 - we cut to aftermath Monday     - 3 (8.8%)
1    - 2 (5.9%)
2    - 5 (14.7%)
3    - 9 (26.5%)
4-5    - 9 (26.5%)
6-8    - 2 (5.9%)
9-11    - 1 (2.9%)
13+    - 3 (8.8%)

Total Voters: 34

Just noting this in case someone later decides to change the vote...not that it matters...

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #215 on: 04 Oct 2010, 10:04 »

You realize that now I have to go kill Kenny and frame you for it.

Or I could just save myself some effort. You bastard! (South Park has made this unisex… I think)

Ha!  You could frame me for Kenny's death, but everyone always forgets after he shows up alive the next day.  ^_^  And bastard may as well be unisex -- I know I use both "bitch" and "dude" without regard for gender.

ok, if anyone actually saw Jeph's pre-redaction, i'd be forever grateful to hear what it was...  (and if he'd rather no one else know, I won't tell!)  8-)    OR, was heliphyneau making a joke, and there was never a pre-redactation?   [yeah, i guess i fell for it.]

OMG HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT I WOULD EVER JOKE ABOUT SUCH A THING -- I AM NEVER SARCASTIC EVER.

>_>

Sorry.  I tried to riff on Jeph's joke with one of my own and thought my sarcasm was the sledgehammery variety, but apparently I was using the Useless Sledgehammer Made Entirely of Boobs.  Whoops.

omg, I saw Akima's post before she deleted it, and EVERYTHING IS CLEAR NOW

YESSSSS.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

quats

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #216 on: 04 Oct 2010, 17:34 »

Something about this date suddenly made me realize that my last ex was a Sven. Very charismatic, intelligent, interesting, and quite a flirt; a great guy to have as a friend or in the sack, but really nothing in between though it feels like there really should be.

Sheesh. Now I don't know if I like Sven more or less after making that connection. Who says I have to be rational? It's likely both.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #217 on: 05 Oct 2010, 22:02 »

Seems kind of like Sven and Hanners might get a decent friendship out of this date. Which could be really good for both of them. Yay!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #218 on: 05 Oct 2010, 22:04 »

Seems kind of like Sven and Hanners might get a decent friendship out of this date. Which could be really good for both of them. Yay!
Agreed.

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #219 on: 09 Oct 2010, 11:37 »

Well, I guess it went four pages more. Depending on what we count.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up