THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Spartacus!  (Read 4238 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
I'm Spartacus!
« on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:14 »

OK, this doesn't fit anywhere, and I don't really expect any replies, but I had to put it somewhere...

Tony Curtis passed away today.  I'm an old film buff, and loved the guy as an actor.  But in all the obits I've seen and heard, not one has mentioned what is probably his most quoted line.  Admittedly, it was a really minor role, but a touching one. 

Watch here.  Better yet, watch the whole movie. 
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 07:51 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
Re: I'm Spartacus!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:06 »

Probably more valid to post this in the movies and film section, since you're talking about an actor and mainly referencing a specific role.

But yeah, a shame he's passed.  One of the greats.  I, too, love old movies more than 99% of the crap spewing forth from the silver screen these days, and he's definitely an icon.

Unfortunately I can't take the "I'm Spartacus!" line seriously, because whenever I see those words, in my mind, Carol Channing's voice says them.  Or more specifically, Ryan Stiles pretending to be Carol Channing.  So yeah.  An otherwise firm agreement to what you said ruined by my tortured psyche and love of Whose Line.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2010, 11:42 »

But not his best. Curtis made an awesome Strangler. Still hard to believe when I watch it that this is the same 'clown' as appeared in so many of his other roles.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2010, 14:27 »

I was going to come on here and post "No, I am Spartacus!" but then I read what the thread was about and I realized that that would be disrespectful.

Rest In Peace.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2010, 15:16 »

Tony Curtis passed away today.  I'm an old film buff, and loved the guy as an actor.  But in all the obits I've seen and heard, not one has mentioned what is probably his most quoted line.  Admittedly, it was a really minor role, but a touching one.
A fine actor, though horribly miscast in films like "The Black Shield Of Falworth" and "The Viking".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2010, 00:40 »

Yeah, but he could make a viking with a Brooklyn accent sound somehow... convincing! 

And it still don't beat the miscasting of John Wayne as Ghengis Khan. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2010, 11:03 »

Aw, come on. It's almost impossible to beat the miscasting of the Duke as the Khan. The only thing that comes close is Kevin Costner as Robin Hood. Or Kevin Costner as Wyatt Earp. Or, really, Kevin Costner in any role other than a character of whom you have no preconceptions who happens to act a great deal like Kevin Costner. Very good at playing Costner, Kevin is. Also makes a damn fine oil/water separator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xYeNUNhkgo&feature=related
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2010, 14:03 »

Now, now, at the very least Costner is capable of showing a range of emotions, even if they aren't necessarily the right ones; Keanu Reeves apparently expended his lifetime supply of them on Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and hasn't been able to muster one up since.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2010, 15:00 »

Okay, forgot about Much Ado About Nothing. Hideous. But Branagh's Benedick saved it; I still love to watch him threatening that prick Claudio. Too bad there's no follow-through, as Hero could definitely have done better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up