Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445557 times)

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #650 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:21 »

No. You know what? I'm in support of this. Let's see Marten get "his girl". Let's see Marten do that, Jeph. I want to see this now.

But--one caveat--I want to see it fail. I want him to try now, just when she's finally making progress, when she's moved on and is with an honestly good person. I want their potential sexual relationship revealed for the nightmare it will be. This is going to be some Lament Configuration shit. I want to see the drama go full trainwreck.
So... just because she's with an "honestly good person" means she lost the right to change her mind? I must have missed that page in the relationship manual. The rules I read state that each person gets to break it off if they sincerely want to, and the other person kind of has to deal with that if they can't offer a persuasive reason not to.

It might be an interesting story if Fayten did go horribly wrong, I admit that. I just don't really see what bothers you so much about the idea of me holding out forlorn hope for that particular pairing. Especially since it ain't gonna happen. You know that, I know that. It happens only in my head.

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #651 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:23 »

Also I keep envisioning this COP-esque escalating fight on Sven's front porch with Dona in a tube top and bike shorts and Marten sporting a non-ironic mullet-trucker-cap.
And it's amusing me way way more than it should.

::Marten on the ground being cuffed:: Y'ALL AIN'T FIT!

Listen up Jeph, I would pay you cash money for this to happen in the comic. CASH MONEY! Think about it.

It was then we find out that Jimbo is Sven and Dora's father.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #652 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:27 »

Woah woah woah how are you guys getting "Marten and Faye should get together nao hughdfkdlghdulhfdk" shit from in this storyline? Have you all just been waiting for Marten and Dora to have a falling out so Faye can have her chance?

Don't answer that.

But seriously, I'm 99% sure that ain't gonna happen right now, folks. Does Marten have lingering feelings for Faye? Probably, he even once told Dora that. Does Faye have lingering feelings for Marten? Again, probably, but that doesn't mean the moment things go wrong with one of their relationships they'll both drop everything and fuck. Things are just a wee bit too complicated now for that; they both have feelings for other people now. Anyway, Marten and Dora ain't over just yet; don't count your chickens before they hatch. And even if they do end up breaking, You all do remember a certain sideburned scot that's recently worked his way into Faye's heart, right? Faye isn't just gonna be like "WOOT! Sorry, Angus, thanks for playing!" and pounce on Marten. You really don't think it's that easy do you?
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #653 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:29 »

Wed: Marten finishes the bottle and Faye takes him. Next week's WCT thread hits 25 pages.

We're not even a few hours out of Wednesday's comic, and here we are on page 14. If Jeph keeps the drama up or, god forbid, escalates it, I expect to see 30 pages by the time polls close on Friday.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #654 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:31 »

Thurs: Marten goes to Svens to talk to Dora but Sven won't let him.

Fri: Marten and Dora talk and may break up, cliffhanger

Mon: Marten and Dora verify the break up.

Tues: Marten heads home to find Faye and a mostly empty bottle of the Hobo

Wed: Marten finishes the bottle and Faye takes him. Next week's WCT thread hits 25 pages.

Next Thurs:  THANKSGIVING IS RUINED FOREVER GOD DAMMIT

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #655 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:31 »

Long time reader of the comic, first time actually making a post on these forums. So I'm largely unaware of the various tribes among fans; just reading this thread has been an education. Had no idea there was so much hate for Dora, for one thing. Anyway.

First off, I have to congratulate Jeph on spinning such an engrossing yarn. The narrative of QC is first rate, the characters are beautifully flawed and engrossing, really easy to identify with. The setting is delightful, with the little departures from reality that end up being incorporated into said reality (AnthroPCs, the fancy dresscode at the Horrible Revelation, etc.)

This turn of events is what prompted me to join the 'boards. Jeph must have been working on this setup for years. YEARS, people. This is heady stuff, the culmination of a lot of work. I'm really proud of Marten for finally finding the line. Honestly, the crap that he puts up with from the lady cadre with a shrug and a a smile is astounding; the long term effects of being raised by a Dominatrix and a closeted gay man (arguably the ultimate act of submission, subsuming one's self so completely for the ease of others). Marten's role models for the behavior of both men and women are painfully obvious in how he carries himself in his own life. His finally putting his foot down, saying 'This far, and no further' is an incredibly important step for him.

As for the action that prompted it, this is just the latest in a long long LONG line of casual disrespectful acts that Dora, Faye, Tai, Steve, his first girlfriend, hell, probably everyone who has ever known him. Particularly ladies, though, because that's what he expects ladies to be. Of course I'm not suggesting that Ms. Reed ever broke out the crop, so to speak, but she's a very strong, dominant woman, and you can't tell me that that wouldn't shape Marten's expectations of women. The only character he's had much facetime with that hasn't has been Hannelore, someone who is just as unassertive as he is, but for different reasons. If anything, Hanners' line is closer to the surface than Marty's is, witness her 'No more of your Bull$h!t!' moments on Faye and Marigold.

Don't believe me? Go hit Random on the QC mainpage. I bet you five bucks that you find a comic within ten or so pages involving Marten as the butt of a joke, the object of ridicule, or the punchline. Usually it's 'all in good fun', but those have a way of building up in a guy. Whether it's he's too weak to move his own furniture, getting punched by Faye for [insert meaningless 'reason' here], Dora walking all over him, Tai delighting in shockvaluing him or taking potshots at his relationship with Dora, etc. Marten's not a naturally assertive person, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be. (And if you want to have some fun, do the random archive perusal with the Benny Hill themesong playing in the background. Hilarity!)

Hell, even this particular incident isn't Dora's fault alone. Or have we forgotten whose idea it was in the first place to ask Pintsize? That's the kind of behavior that is, in many ways, Marten's fault for encouraging by not standing up for himself. He lets people Dom him, so they have no reason to think that there'll be consequences when they finally find his line, perhaps thinking he doesn't even have one.  Unfortunately, it looks like Marten's going be the kind of guy who gets all of his assertiveness out at once, probably taking out his frustration at all of the friendly BS he puts up with on Dora. Now, granted, Dora has it coming here, but so does Faye, Tai,  on this particular occasion, which will be disproportionate and hurtful to Dora. And I like Dora. I think this is going to be what finally gets Dora to take a look at her past and current relationships side by side and realize how good this one is for her.

However, I think Marten's going to have his own 'No more of your bull$h!t!' moment, and it's going to be bigger than both of Hanners' combined, because it's been that long since he relieved the pressure. I really feel sorry for whoever ends up getting it, be it Dora, Faye, Sven, or Jeph forbid Hanners. No one person is going to deserve the yelling that Marten's going to deliver, because they've all put a straw in the bundle. It's just Dora that finally broke his back.

If they get through this, than they'll be in an incredibly strong relationship. *crosses fingers*

(EDIT: 30 new replies, cheese and rice. I'm not re-writing this thing, so I'll just have to post a follow-up)

(EDIT2: DAMMIT, another one...)

(EDIT3: I realize there's some spicy topics in teh above, and it's late so I probably put my foot in my mouth on at least one of them.  I imagine I'll be doing my own song and dance to smooth things over. I really hope I don't spark a flame war, but this is a narrative nexus and I had to put my thought out there. *prepares to clarify and explain himself*)
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:41 by Northeman »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #656 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:32 »

Oh god no, not the Emergency Bourbon!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #657 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:34 »

Dora drops Marten.
Marten goes to attempt to 'fix' something that shouldn't be fixed.
Sven and Marten get into a fist fight.
Marten drags himself into the apartment late that night.
Faye, still buzzed, freaks out, asks what happens, Marten says Sven wrecked his shit.
Faye grabs the first aid kit and helps patch him up.
Marten has a complete breakdown about why everything's gone tits-up.
Faye comforts him, possibly he passes out from exhaustion.
Faye realizes he needs someone a bit more qualified to take care of him. Someone who has ADMITTED HER FLAWS AND HAS DONE THINGS ABOUT THEM INSTEAD OF PRETENDING THEY DO NOT FUCKING EXIST.
Marten stays home the next day, sleeping it off.
Faye goes to CoD, calls Dora a waffling hoebag, and punches her in the tits.
Faye meets up with Angus on the way home, lets him down gently, returns to the apartment.
Marten freaks out, possibly wondering if Sven went on a rampage and also beat HER up.
Meanwhile, Angus goes back, runs across Marigold, asks if she wants to go out drinking. Confused but generally pleased, she does so.
Dora, meanwhile, runs into Tai when she goes to the library to see if Marten's in, since she needs to get her shit from his apartment still. Tai gets the lowdown, promptly puts Dora in her place, then drags her off into the back room to fuck on the copier.

It all fucking woooooorks!

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #658 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:35 »

Emergency Bourbon is the best bourbon. It has to be. It's a god damned emergency.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #659 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:37 »

I disagree with every part of your post but this. This would be pretty entertaining.  :evil:
- Alvin

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #660 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:37 »

Woah woah woah how are you guys getting "Marten and Faye should get together nao hughdfkdlghdulhfdk" shit from in this storyline? Have you all just been waiting for Marten and Dora to have a falling out so Faye can have her chance?

Don't answer that.

But seriously, I'm 99% sure that ain't gonna happen right now, folks. Does Marten have lingering feelings for Faye? Probably, he even once told Dora that. Does Faye have lingering feelings for Marten? Again, probably, but that doesn't mean the moment things go wrong with one of their relationships they'll both drop everything and fuck. Things are just a wee bit too complicated now for that; they both have feelings for other people now. Anyway, Marten and Dora ain't over just yet; don't count your chickens before they hatch. And even if they do end up breaking, You all do remember a certain sideburned scot that's recently worked his way into Faye's heart, right? Faye isn't just gonna be like "WOOT! Sorry, Angus, thanks for playing!" and pounce on Marten. You really don't think it's that easy do you?

But that's the beauty of it! It's exactly like you say! If Marten went after Faye now it would be incredibly creepy and awful! If Faye were to give in it'd be worse! Angus would have his heart wrenched out! Marten would be unequivocally wrong!

It would be a glorious trainwreck! It would be the worst drama ever and my sadistic side wants to see it so badly.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #661 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:38 »

I disagree with every part of your post but this. This would be pretty entertaining.  :evil:

That would be spectacular aim considering the size of the targets >_>

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #662 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:41 »

Dora drops Marten.
Faye, still buzzed, freaks out, asks what happens, Marten says Sven wrecked his shit.
Faye realizes he needs someone a bit more qualified to take care of him. Someone who has ADMITTED HER FLAWS AND HAS DONE THINGS ABOUT THEM INSTEAD OF PRETENDING THEY DO NOT FUCKING EXIST.
Faye meets up with Angus on the way home, lets him down gently, returns to the apartment.
Marten freaks out, possibly wondering if Sven went on a rampage and also beat HER up.
Meanwhile, Angus goes back, runs across Marigold, asks if she wants to go out drinking. Confused but generally pleased, she does so.
Dora, meanwhile, runs into Tai when she goes to the library to see if Marten's in, since she needs to get her shit from his apartment still. Tai gets the lowdown, promptly puts Dora in her place, then drags her off into the back room to fuck on the copier.

Parts of it are exaggerated a little beyond what I imagine would actually happen in QC, but this would be my dream scenario. Perhaps if ya take out the Sven/Marten punch-up and have Faye say something a little more eloquent to Dora that might actually give them the chance of still having a friendship once Dora realizes that OH CRAP FAYE WAS RIGHT. Also I don't really see a gratuitous copier-room sex scene being in the comic, but Dora/Tai seems workable enough. Marigold getting to be with Angus would be the cherry on the cake.

helloandgoodbye

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #663 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:41 »

Huh.  I wonder why Marten feels obligated to stay in a relationship with Dora.

It's kind of weird.  He's basically saying, "This is all Dora's fault, but I have to fix this."

Listen to yourself, dude.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #664 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:42 »

Should prolly break out the emergency gin, the emergency vodka, and the emergency whisky while you're at it. I got a feeling this one's gonna be a long and protracted fight unprotected night.

Damn you all, and such.  I have edited the above to what I first read as I skimmed by.  Now you've put Farten fallout in my brain.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #665 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:43 »

But that's the beauty of it! It's exactly like you say! If Marten went after Faye now it would be incredibly creepy and awful! If Faye were to give in it'd be worse! Angus would have his heart wrenched out! Marten would be unequivocally wrong!
How exactly would Marten be wrong? Faye and Angus are hardly an established couple, they had like one date. Plus, if Faye wants to break it off with Angus, it's her choice. No denying that the situation would be bad for Angus but sometimes it works out like that. Sometimes the girl you went out on one (or two?) dates with doesn't want another date. Even if she already let you grab her boobs.

It's kind of weird.  He's basically saying, "This is all Dora's fault, but I have to fix this.
That was my very first thought on reading this comic.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:45 by Soluzar »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #666 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:44 »

Snippety-snip-snip

...Bull$h!t....

...Cheese and rice...

There's no need for such language on these forums!

Seriously, the only word word that is filtered is the 'n' word, which makes for some fun times when somebody uses the other spelling for snickering.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #667 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:44 »

Dammit now I have to clean coffee off my monitor.

On another note, I'm just going to throw it out there that whatever this arc is leading up to, the big climax will be Friday. Not only will it satisfy Jeph's innate love of watching us squirm on cliffhanger weekends, but it's also the 1800th strip. Shit. Is. Going. Down.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:46 by Kazukagii »

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #668 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:45 »

Tai has already stated "My perfect ideal is you, but single" or something like that.

Dora has to be bisexual.

This way the 'original' pairing returns, Tai finally gets her dream girl, and Marigold can be with the guy SHE likes.

Then Sven can hook up with Hannelore. Because if her quirks aren't punishment enough for his sins, I don't know what is.

Steve's already in a relationship, Raven fell into the well from The Ring, and Penelope can be with Wil.

Everything works out, dammit! Final comic is just all of them meeting up for a drink at the bar they opened up across from CoD. Called The Midnight Hobo!

E: While http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysx1cCe_EsE that song plays in the background!

E: Lyrics, since it's a cacophony: http://beatradio.blogspot.com/2009/08/sleepwalking.html
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:48 by ChibiSoma »

enigma3d

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #669 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:48 »

Huh.  I wonder why Marten feels obligated to stay in a relationship with Dora.

It's kind of weird.  He's basically saying, "This is all Dora's fault, but I have to fix this."

We all do stupid things for the ones we love. I think Marten agrees with you though, he did say he was rather bitter about it.

Honestly, I really don't see it happening that way, if for no other reason than the fact that it would be basically a copy-paste of the arc before last. I have faith that Jeph is more creative than that. I figure we're gonna see some real character development of Dora here, by way of Sven.
:psyduck:
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:49 by enigma3d »

akronnick

« Reply #670 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:49 »

Tai has already stated "My perfect ideal is you, but single" or something like that.

Dora has to be bisexual.

Dora is bisexual.

She knows this because she used to wank to her dads stash of Veronica Vance porn.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #671 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:50 »

How exactly would Marten be wrong? Faye and Angus are hardly an established couple, they had like one date. Plus, if Faye wants to break it off with Angus, it's her choice.

You're right, it is her choice, but this would be the worst possible way to do it. Imagine the next day:

Faye: Listen, i'm sorry but this isn't going to work out.
Angus: What? Why?!
Faye: I had awesome drunken sex with Marten last night and I want to be with him after all. Thanks for your time, though!
Angus:  :-o :? :cry:

Let me also remind you that Marten once reassured Angus that he wasn't holding a torch for Faye. If this happened he'd be doubly betrayed and pretty goddamned fucking pissed off.
- Alvin

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #672 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:52 »

I would just like to say how much this weeks discussion thread has made me feel bad for Angus, from the perspective of some of the people here.  :| Sure, Faye, dump Angus! You know you really want Marten...even though you seem to like Angus and he seems to like you, and there doesn't seem to be any real reason to throw him under the heartbreak-bus. :-(

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #673 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:53 »

Dora drops Marten.

Oh my God it's like a catalog of shit I never want to see happen in the strip. It is precisely the fairy tale I mentioned. Blurghgaghghagh

Which is to say I disagree with just about everything there except the titpunching. :P

How exactly would Marten be wrong? Faye and Angus are hardly an established couple.

They were coupling up (not like that, perverts, jeez) long before The Date. They were courting.

And if you don't see how it's creepy to basically guilt-trip someone out of a relationship so you can live your repressed fantasies, well. Uh.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

helloandgoodbye

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #674 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:53 »

It's kind of weird.  He's basically saying, "This is all Dora's fault, but I have to fix this."

We all do stupid things for the ones we love. I think Marten agrees with you though, he did say he was rather bitter about it.

Honestly, I really don't see it happening that way, if for no other reason than the fact that it would be basically a copy-paste of the arc before last. I have faith that Jeph is more creative than that. :P
Also, :psyduck:
Because psyduck is frikkin awesome.

Yeah, copypasta isn't happening.  Fans would RAAAAGE.

:psyduck:  Yup.  He is pretty awesome. :3

baniigaaru

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #675 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:54 »

Long time reader of the comic, first time actually making a post on these forums. So I'm largely unaware of the various tribes among fans; just reading this thread has been an education. Had no idea there was so much hate for Dora, for one thing. Anyway.

First off, I have to congratulate Jeph on spinning such an engrossing yarn. The narrative of QC is first rate, the characters are beautifully flawed and engrossing, really easy to identify with. The setting is delightful, with the little departures from reality that end up being incorporated into said reality (AnthroPCs, the fancy dresscode at the Horrible Revelation, etc.)

This turn of events is what prompted me to join the 'boards. Jeph must have been working on this setup for years. YEARS, people. This is heady stuff, the culmination of a lot of work. I'm really proud of Marten for finally finding the line. Honestly, the crap that he puts up with from the lady cadre with a shrug and a a smile is astounding; the long term effects of being raised by a Dominatrix and a closeted gay man (arguably the ultimate act of submission, subsuming one's self so completely for the ease of others). Marten's role models for the behavior of both men and women are painfully obvious in how he carries himself in his own life. His finally putting his foot down, saying 'This far, and no further' is an incredibly important step for him.

As for the action that prompted it, this is just the latest in a long long LONG line of casual disrespectful acts that Dora, Faye, Tai, Steve, his first girlfriend, hell, probably everyone who has ever known him. Particularly ladies, though, because that's what he expects ladies to be. Of course I'm not suggesting that Ms. Reed ever broke out the crop, so to speak, but she's a very strong, dominant woman, and you can't tell me that that wouldn't shape Marten's expectations of women. The only character he's had much facetime with that hasn't has been Hannelore, someone who is just as unassertive as he is, but for different reasons. If anything, Hanners' line is closer to the surface than Marty's is, witness her 'No more of your Bull$h!t!' moments on Faye and Marigold.

Don't believe me? Go hit Random on the QC mainpage. I bet you five bucks that you find a comic within ten or so pages involving Marten as the butt of a joke, the object of ridicule, or the punchline. Usually it's 'all in good fun', but those have a way of building up in a guy. Whether it's he's too weak to move his own furniture, getting punched by Faye for [insert meaningless 'reason' here], Dora walking all over him, Tai delighting in shockvaluing him or taking potshots at his relationship with Dora, etc. Marten's not a naturally assertive person, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be. (And if you want to have some fun, do the random archive perusal with the Benny Hill themesong playing in the background. Hilarity!)

Hell, even this particular incident isn't Dora's fault alone. Or have we forgotten whose idea it was in the first place to ask Pintsize? That's the kind of behavior that is, in many ways, Marten's fault for encouraging by not standing up for himself. He lets people Dom him, so they have no reason to think that there'll be consequences when they finally find his line, perhaps thinking he doesn't even have one.  Unfortunately, it looks like Marten's going be the kind of guy who gets all of his assertiveness out at once, probably taking out his frustration at all of the friendly BS he puts up with on Dora. Now, granted, Dora has it coming here, but so does Faye, Tai,  on this particular occasion, which will be disproportionate and hurtful to Dora. And I like Dora. I think this is going to be what finally gets Dora to take a look at her past and current relationships side by side and realize how good this one is for her.

However, I think Marten's going to have his own 'No more of your bull$h!t!' moment, and it's going to be bigger than both of Hanners' combined, because it's been that long since he relieved the pressure. I really feel sorry for whoever ends up getting it, be it Dora, Faye, Sven, or Jeph forbid Hanners. No one person is going to deserve the yelling that Marten's going to deliver, because they've all put a straw in the bundle. It's just Dora that finally broke his back.

If they get through this, than they'll be in an incredibly strong relationship. *crosses fingers*

Longtime lurker, first time poster - really, really sorry about adding to the length of this thread! Just wanted to throw my two cents from a different perspective.

I was inspired by another noob (northeman) to register and post my thoughts since his were so poignant and right on the money. I felt like I was the only one disgusted (or, annoyed) by how everyone was treating Marten throughout the series. Northeman had it right when he said "this is just the latest in a long long LONG line of casual disrespectful acts that Dora, Faye, Tai, Steve, his first girlfriend, hell, probably everyone who has ever known him. Particularly ladies, though, because that's what he expects ladies to be."

I'm a Dominatrix professionally and am around strong women on a daily basis... as well as having to deal with submissive and dominant men. Part of my job is to break down the barriers in a man to humiliate and degrade him, to make him cry, to basically be a bitch for hire.

Parts of my dominant attitude seep into my real life with close friends that I boss around endearingly or make fun of... much like how Faye/Dora/Tai/Penelope etc do... but I don't let it define my relationships. I used to be a grade-A bitch, pushing people away who I viewed as a threat emotionally, and enjoyed in a twisted way at manipulating people. It took me a while to realize that shit doesn't get you a lot of friends... not the sort you'd want anyway.  I think it's terrible that on one hand people in Marten's life treat him that way... but I also think that he set himself up for that. Northeman brought up his background of a submissive father and a dominant mother because it's what shaped his identity, his preferences (partly speaking), and who he is at the core. I'm glad he's finally getting tired of being a doormat; you can be a nice guy without putting on a grin all the time and sweeping shit under the rug.

As for the Dora thing? Meh. I think I get grated by her because she resembles a real person - so flawed, so annoying, so insecure... it's obvious she's great. I hope this fight is what makes them work effectively - either separately as individuals, realizing what's good for them isn't good for the other... or as a couple, like a team.. "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Trying not to give Dora any hate even though it's so easy to pick sides and admittedly guilty fun.

Thanks Jeph for keeping to a schedule, updating daily, and putting thought into your work - you do good!

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #676 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:55 »

Oh my God it's like a catalog of shit I never want to see happen in the strip. It is precisely the fairy tale I mentioned. Blurghgaghghagh

Which is to say I disagree with just about everything there except the titpunching. :P

Better than having everything continue being the same-old same-old. Something has to shake shit up. Otherwise it's going to just fall off the deep end. If they end up back together again, especially without a long, LONG fucking break where Dora figures out how to pull her head out of her ass, then that will be my shark-jumping moment for QC.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #677 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:59 »

How exactly would Marten be wrong? Faye and Angus are hardly an established couple, they had like one date. Plus, if Faye wants to break it off with Angus, it's her choice.

You're right, it is her choice, but this would be the worst possible way to do it. Imagine the next day:

Faye: I had awesome drunken sex with Marten last night and I want to be with him after all. Thanks for your time, though!

Let me also remind you that Marten once reassured Angus that he wasn't holding a torch for Faye. If this happened he'd be doubly betrayed and pretty goddamned fucking pissed off.
Oh... yeah. If I didn't make it clear, I'm envisioning some kind of scenario where nothing actually happens until Faye gets the chance to tell Angus she's breaking up with him. I was picturing the drunken encounter as a kind of cute, re-affirmation of emotional connection kind of moment, not a crude drunken hookup. Not the best way to start a relationship.

I believe I did say it wouldn't play out exactly as written in the above post.

Angus is going to feel betrayed if Faye ever ends up with Marten at any time in the future. No way I can see to get around that.

Does that mean Faye should deny herself that happiness, assuming it is what she really wants?

We have that saying, do we not? All is fair in love and war.

Besides, all this is complete and utter pie-in-the-sky fantasy, which will never play out in the comic. I fully expect Faye to be happy with Angus for a long time yet to come. I just get a kick out of imagining a way it could turn out the way I will always believe it should.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #678 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:59 »

Me: "Hmm, there seems to be lots of bickering over the possibility of Marten/Faye. Maybe I should chime in about how impossibly stupid such a development would be.
My logic: "Or you know, you could willingly walk into a minefield. Just stay out of it man."
Me: "But-"
My logic: "STAY OUT OF IT!"
Me: "Shut up, you're not the boss of me. I'm going to speak my mind!"
My logic: "Fuck. Time for some emergency wisky. Get over here emotions..."

Just let me say that Faye/Marten won't happen. Faye has moved on. Remember the head patting scene after the Faye/Angus date? Remember how she had little to no reaction to the whole underwear thing? Faye values Marten as a friend, but that's all it is any more. Even if she was single, I don't think Faye would jump on Marten. That ship has sailed in her mind.

Now does Marten have feelings for Faye? There is evidence both ways, to be honest. I'd say that he does have some lingering attraction, but it is a mere speck compared to how he used to feel. Marten has been in a relationship with Dora for what, over a year now? Yeah they've been fighting a lot lately, but for most of it he was happy with Dora. Whether he is still happy remains to be seen, but I don't see him trying to move on Faye, especially not with Angus in the picture.

Then again maybe I'm just putting Faye/Marten down because I'm still hoping for Marten to be "comforted" by Hannelor DORA AND MARTEN SHOULD TOTALLY GET BACK TOGETHER! AM I RIGHT GUYS!?

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #679 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:03 »

They were coupling up (not like that, perverts, jeez) long before The Date. They were courting.

And if you don't see how it's creepy to basically guilt-trip someone out of a relationship so you can live your repressed fantasies, well. Uh.
Faye wouldn't have said they were courting. Angus would. She came around to the idea eventually, but... for a while she pretty much saw Angus as the annoying but witty customer who she occasionally has fun bandying words with.

I don't even see where guilt-trips come into this. It would basically be a simple case of saying "It's not working out for me."

People do that. As for my fantasies, clearly they aren't repressed. If I was repressing them, I wouldn't be writing about them here.

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #680 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:04 »

Also, am I the only one sick of the phrase 'shark-jumping'? For me, the phrase 'jumping the shark' jumped the shark when my friend Dan used the phrase but didn't know where it came from. He was so delightedly confused when I told him the origin of the phrase.

It's like Rickrolling. No rickroll can ever, ever top Rick Astley himself rickrolling the World in the '08 Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. As a dear friend once said, 'That was the period at the end of the sentence, people.'

QC's not in danger of jumping the shark, guys. Just because Jeph doesn't do as the 'shippers command doesn't mean the series isn't incredibly well writ. If that thinking were valid, then Star Trek was an abject failure for never getting Kirk and Spock together.

Let the artist art, guys. He's spends a GREAT deal more time in their heads than we do, and I'm delighted to say I really don't know what's gonna happen next.

akronnick

« Reply #681 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:08 »

Also, am I the only one sick of the phrase 'shark-jumping'? For me, the phrase 'jumping the shark' jumped the shark when my friend Dan used the phrase but didn't know where it came from. He was so delightedly confused when I told him the origin of the phrase.

It's like Rickrolling. No rickroll can ever, ever top Rick Astley himself rickrolling the World in the '08 Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. As a dear friend once said, 'That was the period at the end of the sentence, people.'

QC's not in danger of jumping the shark, guys. Just because Jeph doesn't do as the 'shippers command doesn't mean the series isn't incredibly well writ. If that thinking were valid, then Star Trek was an abject failure for never getting Kirk and Spock together.

Let the artist art, guys. He's spends a GREAT deal more time in their heads than we do, and I'm delighted to say I really don't know what's gonna happen next.

You're new here aren't?

That's so sweet!

j/k welcome my friend to the show that never ends, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #682 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:11 »

Just let me say that Faye/Marten won't happen. Faye has moved on. Remember the head patting scene after the Faye/Angus date? Remember how she had little to no reaction to the whole underwear thing? Faye values Marten as a friend, but that's all it is any more. Even if she was single, I don't think Faye would jump on Marten. That ship has sailed in her mind.
I couldn't agree more that it will never happen. I constantly emphasize how this is just an exercise in fantasy.

Thing is, I discovered the comic for the first time less than a year ago. Read the latest strips, found them confusing at first... read the archive in a matter of days, and loved the early era beyond reason. Started to lose interest from the point where it became obvious it wasn't about Marten and Faye's potential relationship anymore. These days the only thing that keeps me coming back is the ship tease, the vague (non-existant) possibility that the author might see fit to revive Faye/Marten as a story arc, and... well, why lie. Marigold. <3

Thing is, ever since Faye started actively dating Angus... ever since the Toto incident, I'm starting to question if I really want to go on reading QC. It's clearly not the webcomic I wanted it to be, but the problem is... I've got hooked and can't quit so easily. It kinda sucks to be stuck like that, honestly. I'd love it if I could flip a switch and no longer be interested, because reading this comic when it isn't about Fayten is pretty much an exercise in frustration for me. Reading storylines not directly related to Faye, Dora and Marten is a joy, of course... even the Faye/Angus storyline was sweet, as much as it frustrated me.

I just don't want to be hooked on a comic that is going in these directions, but I'm not sure I can help it.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #683 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:14 »

Jeph, I'm afraid I'm going to have to trademark "Emergency Bourbon" and start selling it. It'll be regional at first, but I expect national distribution within the first three years.

You can have 5% of the net profits as long as you don't sue me.

Prediction: Sven gets Dora to have her "light-bulb moment"...but Marten has passed the point of no return. Things end badly for all concerned.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #684 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:17 »

I would totally buy an "EMERGENCY BOURBON" flask.

As for the rest of this, I'm shutting up until I get my damn backstory.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #685 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:17 »

Also I keep envisioning this COP-esque escalating fight on Sven's front porch with Dona in a tube top and bike shorts and Marten sporting a non-ironic mullet-trucker-cap.
And it's amusing me way way more than it should.

::Marten on the ground being cuffed:: Y'ALL AIN'T FIT!

Listen up Jeph, I would pay you cash money for this to happen in the comic. CASH MONEY! Think about it.

::sings::  Y'aaall are brutalizin' meee...

I would just like to share the opinion that I think Faye and Angus are perfect compliments for one another and I love them to bits and pieces and I hope Jeph keeps their relationship just truckin' along, truck-truck-truckin' along.

Also they may not have been dating long, but they've been doing the courtship dance for thirty goddamn years so I can't see the burgeoning Real Relationship ending soon.

edit: Well fuckity fuck fuck someone already said all that. OH WELL IMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY.

« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 23:24 by rje »
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #686 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:18 »

You forgot the one thing to make this perfect.
That afternoon…knock knock
Marigold: WHoooo is it?
Angus: Destiny!

I must now go lie on the floor and laugh my ass off.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #687 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:21 »

Uh, can the discussion try to be limited to comic as it is established to be now, and where it probably will go in the near future?
Because going back and forth about Fayten--while increasing page count, apparently something worthy of interest--is really pointless.  The most that could possibly happen is Dora finding out Marten decided to get sloshed with Faye without her directly after their fight, and that making things even worse between them.  Faye is very invested in Angus at this point, and not in Marten, and has trust issues that are antithesis to the possibility of her cheating.  As far as we know at least.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #688 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:22 »

*stares at thread*

*looks down at The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks*

*looks back at thread*

...so be it ...if it must be done...

Okay, first things first:  Marten and Faye are not about to randomly hook up.  There are seven things wrong with that idea, and each one of them is all of it.  Even if Marten still had serious romantic interest in Faye (he's said multiple times he does not), and even if Faye still had serious romantic interest in Marten (she's also said she does not), and even if Faye wasn't now into Angus (she is), and even if Dora and Marten do break up (they haven't), it still would not happen because Jeph is not a rejected writer from Friends.  Seriously, what the fuck.  Even if, IF the over-arching storyline of QC is leading toward them finally hooking up, it is absolutely nowhere near happening yet.  No amount of booze, emotions, lowered inhibitions or ANYTHING ELSE can make that plausible.

Next, Dora.
Yes, she's being a terrible bitch.  Eveyone in the comic has thus far realised it - including, and this is important, DORA HERSELF.  Her being an insecure control freak is not a sudden dramatic thing, it is in fact one of the biggest recurring themes in the relationship and has been a major plot point several times in the past.  Her insecurities have been a prevalent issue since literally within hours of her and Marten first hooking up when she collapsed in a ball of self-loathing after kissing him.  Getting sad because Marten might not really want her, getting touchy when other women interact with Marten, not trusting Faye and Marten together, not listening to Marten, not respecting Marten's privacy - they are all offshoots of the same fucking problem and this has been made abundantly clear, in canon, a dozen times.
Is this problem making hell for Marten?  Yes, obviously.  Is Marten sick of dealing with this problem?  Yes, obviously.  So why is he still dealing with it?  It is because Dora is his girlfriend and he obviously loves her and how the fucking hell is that not the most obvious thing of all, seriously.  He has his limits, God knows he has his limits, but he's making the effort because he's a human being with real emotions who's working to make his relationship last with someone he cares about.  If and when he reaches his limit the relationship might end, but he's not at the limit yet.  How can we tell?  Because he's still trying, even if he's bitter about it.  Yes, he's nearing his limit, but he is not going to decide to change everything now.  A relationship with someone you like isn't like changing your accounts to a new bank because you don't like the service at your old one, and acting like he can just "change his mind" about Dora is utterly, utterly retarded.  His actions up until this point, and Dora's actions up until this point, are completely logical, make perfect sense for their characters, and I for the life of me cannot see what all the confusion is about.

Yes, obviously, things are pretty fucking bad right now.  Will they break up?  Maybe.  Will they break up permanently?  I have no goddamn clue.  Maybe Marten's going to take that holiday he was talking to Dora about a while back, only by himself, to "clear his head" a little.  Or maybe Dora will actually find some way to come to terms with her issues.  Or maybe Marten will finally lose his famous cool, blow up at all the shit in his life, and they'll break up for good.  What's even MORE likely is that none of these things will happen in the next strip, or the next ten, or maybe even the next hundred, because only Jeph knows where the current arc is going and thus far he's prett good at defying our expectations.

If we are to continue thinking of Marten and Dora as reasonable people (or characters) then they should not break up over this.  Arguing otherwise is idiotic and proof that you know fuck-all about relationships.  But guess what?  NOBODY SAID THEY HAD TO BE FUCKING REASONABLE.  People, as a rule, are not reasonable or sensible in the vast majority of cases.  And even if Marten and Dora don't break up over this specific incident, maybe it'll be another one.  Or maybe they won't.  Screaming that they absolutely must do this or that will not only achieve nothing, it's stupid.  I, for one, lean toward them sticking together, even if things are mighty strained for a while, but if they really wanted to break up, it would have happened three hundred strips ago and we all goddamn know it.

So in closing, my final thoughts:
This is all happening as part of the story progression.  The characters are being true to what we know about them, even in going so far as to say that we know they can be inconsistent.  The characters do not have to do the "sensible" or the "right" thing.  And they are allowed to fuck things up for themselves.  But, ultimately, things are going to change, because if they don't the story will go nowhere at all.  How they will change, how dramatic it will be, and who - if anyone - is right... that, we're going to find out.

AND NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU POST ARGUING THAT YOU WOULD WRITE THE STORY DIFFERENTLY, IT WILL NOT CHANGE HOW THE STORY IS WRITTEN.  So calm the jolly fuck down, have a little faith that Jeph is actually a competent storywriter, and let the man take us along for the ride.  I, for one, am enjoying it.

*swings The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks around his head and gives a battle cry*

*plunges into the fray*
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #689 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:25 »

Uh, can the discussion try to be limited to comic as it is established to be now, and where it probably will go in the near future?
Because going back and forth about Fayten--while increasing page count, apparently something worthy of interest--is really pointless.  The most that could possibly happen is Dora finding out Marten decided to get sloshed with Faye without her directly after their fight, and that making things even worse between them.  Faye is very invested in Angus at this point, and not in Marten, and has trust issues that are antithesis to the possibility of her cheating.  As far as we know at least.

I'd suggest not trying to steer this thread to remain ontopic. That's one self-destructive path, my friend.

If it's bothering you go read a magazine and forget this thread exists for a week or so, then come back for next week. Or at least stop reading for a night. It helps if you take it all in small doses.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #690 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:28 »

I would just like to say how much this weeks discussion thread has made me feel bad for Angus, from the perspective of some of the people here.  :| Sure, Faye, dump Angus! You know you really want Marten...even though you seem to like Angus and he seems to like you, and there doesn't seem to be any real reason to throw him under the heartbreak-bus. :-(

co-signed.

I adore Angus. A part of me is even still a Marten/Faye shipper. But this is not the way to a "happy ending," y'all.

And besides, Angus is totally not into Marigold, sorry.

akronnick

« Reply #691 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:33 »

*stares at thread*

*looks down at The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks*

*looks back at thread*

...so be it ...if it must be done...

<big snippa-snip>

*swings The Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks around his head and gives a battle cry*

*plunges into the fray*

Ter-GON!

Ter-GON!

Ter-GON!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*Follows Tergon into the melee wielding his uwn UBMEOD*

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #692 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:39 »

Waitaminit—has someone actually suggested that? Because I was being sarcastic.

You know, it's terribly hard to sit without a fundament.

Also, I'm wondering what sort of sound the UBEMOD makes when whirled around the head. I'd say wubba wubba wubba, but I think that was that boob-mallet thing.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Tergon

« Reply #693 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:40 »

*Follows Tergon into the melee wielding his uwn UBMEOD*

WE FIGHT AS ONE, AKRONNICK!

FOR THE ORDER OF THE DICKBROOM!  FOR THE PREVENTING OF A FIFTY-PAGE THREAD THIS WEEK!  FOR GLORY AND FOR FAITH IN JEPH!

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

Edit for raoullefere:
It makes a sort of wet flapping sound, it's really quite unpleasant.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #694 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:44 »

Waitaminit—has someone actually suggested that? Because I was being sarcastic.

Yeah, I read through the thread, and there's TWUUUU LUVVVVVV for Marigold and Angus. Which would be great if... Angus wasn't totally into Faye instead.

akronnick

« Reply #695 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:45 »

You know, these dick-broom charges never really work out as well as you think they're going too...

Kilroy8675309

« Reply #696 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:50 »

Dora's honestly a pretty worthless person, and I'm really kind of excited that it's getting this rocky again. It was really just a matter of time before Marten realized how much of a crazy bitch she is, and as she's gotten more comfortable with the relationship, she's allowed herself to lower herself to my expectations. I'm not saying I think he'll get with Faye - she's got a good thing going now, I approve of it. But definitely drop her. It's just too bad that she owns one of the 3 backdrops for the comic, or there would be a real good excuse to just phase her out altogether and replace her with more likable - not to mention more attractive - women. Thumbs up, Dude. Thumbs. Up.

Tergon

« Reply #697 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:53 »

You know, these dick-broom charges never really work out as well as you think they're going too...

If they worked, the brooms wouldn't be useless.  So the question is, if I expect the attempt to beat some logic into this thread to fail, and it does fail, have I truly failed?

(yes)

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #698 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:55 »

I'd suggest not trying to steer this thread to remain ontopic. That's one self-destructive path, my friend.

If it's bothering you go read a magazine and forget this thread exists for a week or so, then come back for next week. Or at least stop reading for a night. It helps if you take it all in small doses.
It doesn't actually bother me  :lol:, just feel like every little bit might help get us away from discussion about Fayten.  :roll:
But then, maybe the opposite.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #699 on: 16 Nov 2010, 23:57 »

Dora's honestly a pretty worthless person, and I'm really kind of excited that it's getting this rocky again. It was really just a matter of time before Marten realized how much of a crazy bitch she is, and as she's gotten more comfortable with the relationship, she's allowed herself to lower herself to my expectations. I'm not saying I think he'll get with Faye - she's got a good thing going now, I approve of it. But definitely drop her. It's just too bad that she owns one of the 3 backdrops for the comic, or there would be a real good excuse to just phase her out altogether and replace her with more likable - not to mention more attractive - women. Thumbs up, Dude. Thumbs. Up.

Oh god... I was going to pick this post apart piece by piece... but I'd have better luck putting together a glass vase smashed with a baseball bat. It's a freaking disaster area.

Welp, that does it for me, quota reached. I'm off to bed, Good luck holding down the fort, hope the Dickbroom comes in handy.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36   Go Up