Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445536 times)

Saral

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #750 on: 17 Nov 2010, 05:51 »

Hell I think Dora and Marten both need to evaluate things. When it started it was good, with a Dora's insecurities being understandable, but it's spiralled downhill from there.

That might actually be the problem. The lines weren't drawn early enough in the relationship, because Dora's early insecurities were understandable, and instead of showing his problems them Marten accepts them. So Dora finds another thing to worry over.

I think they need time apart , while they redraw the lines at the bare minimum, and I and tending to full breakup

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #751 on: 17 Nov 2010, 05:54 »

i wonder how many recently created users will stay after this whole arcs end....

16 pages woooo  :psyduck:
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Arky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #752 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:11 »

i wonder how many recently created users will stay after this whole arcs end....

16 pages woooo  :psyduck:

Lots prob.  Signups weren't working for the longest time.  I probably wanted to comment on strips like once a month for a year, and they only finally started working late October.  I reckon this one will have brought in a lot of people like me who had tried to sign up and comment before, but couldn't.

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #753 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:25 »

Idk why but this is ending with Marten and Dora either breaking up or getting married.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #754 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:36 »

Is this the end of Dora and Marten?

Yes.    - 46 (17.2%)
No.    - 45 (16.8%)
Wow, I'm not sure.    - 68 (25.4%)
Don't know.    - 13 (4.9%)
Don't care.    - 24 (9%)
GOOGLE IT, #### it!    - 9 (3.4%)
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!11!!!!!!11    - 20 (7.5%)
20 PAGES BY FRIDAY!    - 43 (16%)

Total Voters: 268

I'm retiring this one and putting a new one up.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #755 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:46 »

My prediction for the next set of strips-

Marten chases after Dora, out of the COD. Bottle in hand, Faye follows him.

Gasping for breath, she loses sight of him about halfway to Sven's place. As she slows to a walk, she smells smoke, an acrid, plastic smell. She turns the corner, and almost bumps into Marten. Sven's place is engulfed in a thick, black smoke.

Standing in front is Dora, Yelling Bird on her shoulder and a can of gasoline in her hand. Her eyes are a deep, eldritch-black. "He told me I was wrong," she muttered. "And as for you..." She raises the can of gasoline and lights a match.

Faye screams and leaps in front of the ball of flaming gasoline that some otherworldly force has launched at Martin. He stares in horror as her flesh sears away, her charred form writhing on the grass out front.

Dora grimaces. "It was... meant for you..." She once again raises the can...

The scene flashes to black, then fades back in...

Marten bolts awake. He is... back at his place. Back in his bed. Was this all a dream? Nearby there is a shower running. He slowly slips out of the bed and walks over to the shower... out of which steps...

Patrick Duffy!

Marten: Oh god, I had a terrible dream I was a 20-something hipster whose friends were all crazy chicks, and there were all these little talking robots and....
Patrick: Hey man, don't worry about it,  it's over now.
Marten: Thank goodness. It was all a dream. A horrible, horrible dream......

THE END
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.
« Reply #756 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:46 »

Wow. This comic makes me really sad. I have to stop reading it first thing in the morning. I don't have anything to add except to point out how good the art was today. I LOVE the look on Faye's face in the last panel when she pulls out the emergency bourbon. A little confusion, a little despair. LOVE IT. Also, is it just me or do Faye's boobs look even bigger than normal in panel three? She really should put a warning label on those things.

*Edited for more psyduck!  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 06:56 by Coco »
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #757 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:50 »

Longtime lurker, first time poster - really, really sorry about adding to the length of this thread! Just wanted to throw my two cents from a different perspective.
<snip>

Nope, no you're not sorry. ;)

More PSYDUCK!
 :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #758 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:59 »

Quote from: Tergon
Post of the Decade

You win the thread.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #759 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:08 »

hopefully he'll be able to protect her from herself.

I don't think anyone can do that.

Which is a bit of a scary thought- if she really does have all these emotional issues going on and just decides, "Hey, it'll never get any better, why not just..."

Well.

I had a friend who did that. It was... terrible.

Yeah. I had that feeling. That's why I put it in the poll.
Just another Joe like 46

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #760 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:09 »

Quote from: northeman
(And if you want to have some fun, do the random archive perusal with the Benny Hill themesong playing in the background. Hilarity!)

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Been in Marten's position - down so far that you're looking up at the snake's belly, thinking that everyone would say, "You're justified, walk away." and knowing that the right thing to do is to man up, and sort it out.  Based on his comments, Marten knows this and will be going to sort it out - because he does love her and needs to do it

And in Marten's mood, I would hope that he remembers that bourbon is NOT your friend.  In the morning you still have the problem, AND a hangover.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAAAAAAAAAAA

holy goat balls.

the delicious delicious goat balls. "Twue Wuv" only works if you're dealing with a person, dude. This whole 'gotta make the relationship work NO MATTER WHAT' is why my dad is missing most of his liver and all of his savings, and why I'm losing 20% of my paycheck to child support...  Guess what, some times it's not worth putting your all into a relationship!

The Right Thing to do for Marten would obviously be to transform Mieville into a battle cyborg cat steed and destroy Northampton. Any other course is doomed to failure!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Janxer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #761 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:14 »

Sven will pound some sense into Dora.
Am I the only one who got severe incestual vibes from the wording of this? :|

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #762 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:16 »

Am I the only one who got severe incestuous vibes from the wording of this? :|
Okay, okay, but the  meaning is that he's gonna knock some sense into the purple-haired biatch.
Just another Joe like 46

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #763 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:17 »

Am I the only one who got severe incestuous vibes from the wording of this? :|
Okay, okay, but the  meaning is that he's gonna knock some sense into the purple-haired biatch.

Never happen. You can punch a loaf of bread all god damn day long, but it will never do your taxes.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #764 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:18 »

And then I think a poster or two commented on the needless reference to male-on-female violence.

eyosgkxb

• Don't NOT look into it's eyes!
« Reply #765 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:20 »

Finally found your balls, good for you Marten.

Fuck Dora, she's a cunt.

Get drunk and hook up with Faye, or anyone else in the comic for that matter. She's going to go around telling people you guys are broken up anyway.
a herp derp derrr, a derp a hurk burf

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #766 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:24 »

Wow... people actually like Angus? What for? What part of him do you like? Tell me about it. please. Terll me what about the character stands out, because I've perceived him as this complete non-entity so far, just a character with no substance other than having a sharp wit and a crush on Faye. I might not be so casual about wanting Faye to break up with him if he actually  seemed to be someone. He's less of a character than Raven, right now... about as much as Cosette.

People say we don't know much about Marigold, but... we know at least three times as much about her as we do about Angus, and she has an integral role in the strip due to her interaction with Hannelore. She really seems to be causing character development there. Angus on the other hand, until the first Faye-date.... I wouldn't have noticed if he just vanished from the strip completely.

Janxer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #767 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:24 »

Fuck Dora, she's a cunt.

Get drunk and hook up with Faye, or anyone else in the comic for that matter. She's going to go around telling people you guys are broken up anyway.
Oh fuck this attitude.
Even if you hate Dora - I must say I'm not the biggest fan of her personally - Marten obviously cares and as such just "giving up" before it's truly over would most likely be counterproductive to his goals and wishes.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #768 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:27 »

Fuck Dora, she's a cunt.

Oh fuck this attitude.
Even if you hate Dora - I must say I'm not the biggest fan of her personally - Marten obviously cares and as such just "giving up" before it's truly over would most likely be counterproductive to his goals and wishes.

IT IS TRULY OVER

Dora insists on being abusive towards Marten, and blaming him when she's called out on it. She is aware of what she is doing, and does not care to stop.

This is not a foundation for anything other than a Lifetime original movie, or a repeat of the Faye's Dad head-blowing strip.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #769 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:28 »

Fuck Dora, she's a cunt.

Oh fuck this attitude.

How? He's a young man in an excellent position to do whatever he wants with whoever he pleases. He just wants to be happy and enjoy himself, he can't help it if he didn't see this coming. Nor would he have taken part if he did see this coming, what about him so far has shown anyone that he would be happy to take part in this relationship if he is so ready to talk down the dog and pony show its been so far.

If he gets drunk in the next comic because Faye suggest it as a means for coping with the situation as it plays through, what does that show us about him? That he's this staunch stoic who is well prepared to deal with his insane girlfriend and just deal with it?

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #770 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:31 »

Wow... people actually like Angus? What for? What part of him do you like? Tell me about it. please. Terll me what about the character stands out, because I've perceived him as this complete non-entity so far, just a character with no substance other than having a sharp wit and a crush on Faye.

Really? Angus is kind, suspectible to tit-shock, imperfect, fairly content with his job and lifestyle, cooks, and dances.

Sounds like you've just ignored Angus, which is perfectly fine.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #771 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:31 »

Wow... people actually like Angus? What for? What part of him do you like? Tell me about it. please. Terll me what about the character stands out, because I've perceived him as this complete non-entity so far, just a character with no substance other than having a sharp wit and a crush on Faye.

Really? Angus is kind, suspectible to tit-shock, imperfect, fairly content with his job and lifestyle, cooks, and dances.

I'm waiting for him to come out of the closet.  :roll:

someone1074

« Reply #772 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:32 »

Oh fuck this attitude.

How? He's a young man in an excellent position to do whatever he wants with whoever he pleases. He just wants to be happy and enjoy himself, he can't help it if he didn't see this coming. Nor would he have taken part if he did see this coming, what about him so far has shown anyone that he would be happy to take part in this relationship if he is so ready to talk down the dog and pony show its been so far.

If he gets drunk in the next comic because Faye suggest it as a means for coping with the situation as it plays through, what does that show us about him? That he's this staunch stoic who is well prepared to deal with his insane girlfriend and just deal with it?

Excellent position? Marten doesn't have much at all going for him...hasn't he acknowledged that even he feels that way in a past comic?

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #773 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:34 »

... I must admit, you guys are kind of mental when it comes to this sort of thing.

For a start the "ABUSE" label is not what is happening, its stupidity on both peoples parts but they do seem to mean well towards each other. And the sheer amount of hate that you guys are pouring out at two fictional characters is all kinds of odd. I mean, I'm sure some of us have all been in this or similar positions, but putting your own judgements in instead of actually looking at what both of THEM want is all kinds of weird.

Really, a lot of this seems to be you guys saying stuff about what you wish you had done in a similar (maybe) situation, and then demanding that both Marten and Dora conform to what you did and what the other person did (or alternativly what you might want to happen). Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it'll work for them and it also doesn't mean that either of these two people are in the same places you were.

TLDR: I would advise waiting and seeing, and you do your cause no favours by shouting like toddlers about what people "Should" do.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #774 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:37 »

When I re-read the entire strip after QC volume 1, Angus came off as.... borderline creepy.  The idea that the coffee shop girl would literally date the guy who came in just to trade quips with her sounds a little close to enabling stalker behavior for me, and I'd honestly rather see their relationship hit major snags sooner than later.

someone1074

« Reply #775 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:37 »

... I must admit, you guys are kind of mental when it comes to this sort of thing.

For a start the "ABUSE" label is not what is happening, its stupidity on both peoples parts but they do seem to mean well towards each other. And the sheer amount of hate that you guys are pouring out at two fictional characters is all kinds of odd. I mean, I'm sure some of us have all been in this or similar positions, but putting your own judgements in instead of actually looking at what both of THEM want is all kinds of weird.

Really, a lot of this seems to be you guys saying stuff about what you wish you had done in a similar (maybe) situation, and then demanding that both Marten and Dora conform to what you did and what the other person did (or alternativly what you might want to happen). Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it'll work for them and it also doesn't mean that either of these two people are in the same places you were.

TLDR: I would advise waiting and seeing, and you do your cause no favours by shouting like toddlers about what people "Should" do.

Sorry, but brief and reasonable posts get ignored around these parts. Additionally, this same thought has been voiced by at least a dozen others...same thing though. You'd have to either be a celebrity-poster or keep the concept but multiply the length fourfold if you want it to be considered.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #776 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:39 »

I figured that was part of it. If you can, provide a link to where Angus talks about his job, because I wouldn't even know what it is he does. I remember the strip where he dances, that was his finest moment ever. Especially the post-dancing awkward conversation. Actually there's another candidate for his finest moment, that morning where he's working the conversation top imply that hot Marilore action just took place.

Janxer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #777 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:39 »

IT IS TRULY OVER

Dora insists on being abusive towards Marten, and blaming him when she's called out on it. She is aware of what she is doing, and does not care to stop.

This is not a foundation for anything other than a Lifetime original movie, or a repeat of the Faye's Dad head-blowing strip.
Except you don't know it's over at all, do you?
Fuck, I've seen couples go through much worse fights and problems than this and come through it better off in the end.
And obviously marten hasn't completely given up as evidenced by bitterly conceding that he's gonna have to set it right.

As for Dora's behaviour... An inability to change isn't always caused by an unwillingness to change.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #778 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:40 »

Oh fuck this attitude.

Excellent position? Marten doesn't have much at all going for him...hasn't he acknowledged that even he feels that way in a past comic?

There's no way to be sure, but I guess we'll only find out with time if Marten ever discovers it, but maybe having a crazy girlfriend has something to do with it.

Other than that, he appears to be a healthy, friendly, social, and he can afford a place with a roommate. Seems pretty well off to me.  :wink:

Janxer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #779 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:41 »

I figured that was part of it. If you can, provide a link to where Angus talks about his job, because I wouldn't even know what it is he does. I remember the strip where he dances, that was his finest moment ever. Especially the post-dancing awkward conversation. Actually there's another candidate for his finest moment, that morning where he's working the conversation top imply that hot Marilore action just took place.
Angus is a professional strawman. He goes to debates and loses on purpouse.
It's really more a form of activism, because he's only debating for causes he's really against.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #780 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:44 »

It's really more a form of activism, because he's only debating for causes he's really against.
Really now? Or are you just having a laugh at ol' Soluzar's expense, here?

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #781 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:45 »

Sorry, but brief and reasonable posts get ignored around these parts. Additionally, this same thought has been voiced by at least a dozen others...same thing though. You'd have to either be a celebrity-poster or keep the concept but multiply the length fourfold if you want it to be considered.

I'm tempted to just put up a big demotivator with Sam the Eagle on it whose basically understood my point:

You are all WEIRDOES!
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

someone1074

« Reply #782 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:46 »

There's no way to be sure, but I guess we'll only find out with time if Marten ever discovers it, but maybe having a crazy girlfriend has something to do with it.

Other than that, he appears to be a healthy, friendly, social, and he can afford a place with a roommate. Seems pretty well off to me.  :wink:

You just made me realize that 'excellent position' is very open to interpretation. I wouldn't think working a minimum wage job as an adult, leading a failing (if not currently non-existent) band, having no known hobbies, and being a relatively spineless man allow for the title...but then some of the more romantically successful people I've known in my past could lay claim to most if not all of those attributes.

Statement withdrawn.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 08:03 by someone1074 »

eyosgkxb

someone1074

« Reply #784 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:48 »

Really wish I had the ability to pull up relevant comics from the archives in a flash, but he's right. It was very well explained in the comic when someone inquired...think it was Faye...

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #785 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:48 »

Fuck, I've seen couples go through much worse fights and problems than this and come through it better off in the end.
And obviously marten hasn't completely given up as evidenced by bitterly conceding that he's gonna have to set it right.

Well, given Marten's attitude and the things that have been said, I think it's pointing more at the kind of fight that is going to escalate further the more they talk.

Can couples work out of fights like the one Marten and Dora are going through?  Absolutely.  But the kind of dynamic Marten and Dora have created isn't the kind that works things out.  Even if they got back together it'd be with loads of unresolved hostility and issues, where Marten is sick and tired of being Captain Doormat and Dora is unwilling to trust him or treat him as an equal.  Honestly this is the kind of relationship where the further it goes, the more they try to paper over the issues and the worse it gets when they finally break up.  Continued Dora/Marten = more drama when it finally blows up.

Janxer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #786 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:48 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1384
Here's the comic in question.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #787 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:50 »

Well, given Marten's attitude and the things that have been said, I think it's pointing more at the kind of fight that is going to escalate further the more they talk.

Can couples work out of fights like the one Marten and Dora are going through?  Absolutely.  But the kind of dynamic Marten and Dora have created isn't the kind that works things out.  Even if they got back together it'd be with loads of unresolved hostility and issues, where Marten is sick and tired of being Captain Doormat and Dora is unwilling to trust him or treat him as an equal.  Honestly this is the kind of relationship where the further it goes, the more they try to paper over the issues and the worse it gets when they finally break up.  Continued Dora/Marten = more drama when it finally blows up.

I get crazy when I see the same thing get explained 9 times in the same thread over and over again. Thank you for putting that out there in a different format though, Its good that you touched on the fact that she may not even see him as an equal worthy of normal treatment.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #788 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:51 »

d'oijqwfu98b32fpu d,m

jai' o

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #789 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:52 »

oh god damnit.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #790 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:54 »

Thanks. I guess I know something about Angus now. I don't know why I forgot that strip, maybe I skipped a week, cause I don't remember the one afterwards either. I think that next one is the kind of strip I associate with Angus.

"Hey service-industry worker I hardly know!"
"Hey regular customer."
"I'd like to make an inappropriate suggestion."
"I'd like to tip this coffee over your head, but we're all going to be dissapointed, I guess."
"OK! You sure are my one true love!"
"Who are you again?"
*all laugh*

eyosgkxb

« Reply #791 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:57 »

*all laugh*

*Flashing Applause Button Here*

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #792 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:57 »

Thanks. I guess I know something about Angus now. I don't know why I forgot that strip, maybe I skipped a week, cause I don't remember the one afterwards either. I think that next one is the kind of strip I associate with Angus.

"Hey service-industry worker I hardly know!"
"Hey regular customer."
"I'd like to make an inappropriate suggestion."
"I'd like to tip this coffee over your head, but we're all going to be dissapointed, I guess."
"OK! You sure are my one true love!"
"Who are you again?"
*all laugh*

Mmm, helps a lot if you put it in the context of the previous stack of strips that Angus appeared in.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1363
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1368
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1369
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1371
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1373

Drewcifer

« Reply #793 on: 17 Nov 2010, 07:59 »

When the fight happened between Dora and Marten, I was initially not happy about it.  I came up with several ways the story could go from there.  Then I realized something.  I've been reading this comic for a few years now, and Jeph has never been anything but a damn good storyteller.  Even if the way he takes a story in a way I don't necessarily like.  I may not like it, but he always does it in a pretty kick-ass way that keeps me reading, and I have a lot of respect for that.  It's similar to the respect I have for Joss Whedon for being unafraid to kill off beloved characters or sunder beloved relationships if it serves the larger story.

Do I know what's going to happen here?  I have my guesses, but in the end that's all they are, guesses.  In the end do I really have the first clue about where Jeph is going to go with this great overall story?  Nope, not a clue.  And really, I'm fine with that.  To me, when you figure something out ahead of time, it spoils the fun at least a bit.  So I'm more than willing to sit back and wait to see where this all goes.

Of course, reading that he's got the rest of the week scripted, I am tempted to tell him, "DRAW!  DRAW LIKE THE WIND, YOU BASTARD!!"  No?  Nothing?  Ah well.  

*GLANCES AT WATCH IMPATIENTLY WAITING FOR THE NEXT UPDATE*

eyosgkxb

« Reply #794 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:01 »

I have no opinion on the story and nothing to add, but I just wanted to say I enjoyed the comic, onward to page 20!

gathayah

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #795 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:04 »

I think we can pretty safely say that Faye+Marten isn't going to happen. Ignoring the fact that Faye is now going out with Angus, does Marten really seem like the type of person who would just rebound to someone else just because she's there? We don't even know if Marten and Dora are officially broken up yet.

Everyone needs to just take a chill pill and see what happens. Jeph knows what he's doing.
Delicious bourbon
Finest of all the spirits
A drunken haiku

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #796 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:07 »

Mmm, helps a lot if you put it in the context of the previous stack of strips that Angus appeared in.
I don't know about you, but the context I can't help but put it in is that of Faye having recently resolved not to sleep with Sven anymore, still being horny and yet not entertaining even one thought about Angus.  He just didn't exist in a sexual context for her. and personally I can't remember exactly how that changed. Nor do I believe it should.

I look at that run of strips, and I see Faye being uncomfortable about being flirted with. At the end of it, she says he's 'not bad', but she doesn't get that kind of smile that girls get when they are hot for someone. To me, Faygus was pretty much a forced storyline, it didn't grow naturally out of anything plausible. It had some moments of cuteness, but mostly... I see Angus as the guy whose 'love' (read 'crush')  should have remained unrequited.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #797 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:09 »

I don't know about you, but the context I can't help but put it in is that of Faye having recently resolved not to sleep with Sven anymore, still being horny and yet not entertaining even one thought about Angus.  He just didn't exist in a sexual context for her. and personally I can't remember exactly how that changed. Nor do I believe it should.

I look at that run of strips, and I see Faye being uncomfortable about being flirted with. At the end of it, she says he's 'not bad', but she doesn't get that kind of smile that girls get when they are hot for someone. To me, Faygus was pretty much a forced storyline, it didn't grow naturally out of anything plausible. It had some moments of cuteness, but mostly... I see Angus as the guy whose 'love' (read 'crush')  should have remained unrequited.

Is it just me or do panels that have Faye and Angus being cute in them, just look fucking horribly uncomfortable?

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #798 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:12 »

Is it just me or do panels that have Faye and Angus being cute in them, just look fucking horribly uncomfortable?
Only for Faye. I'm starting to think that maybe the only reason she got with Angus is because he's so damn persistent, and not actually a jerk. Oh hey, a mirror for Marten's relationship. Except that Dora kind of IS a jerk, he just didn't realise until later. I guess Faye and Angus did have a couple of genuine moments, but then they had the boob-trance moment, and that didn't seem like anything real to me. It just seemed... weird and wrong.

someone1074

« Reply #799 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:15 »

I found their development pretty natural and I see the linked comics as a pretty strong indication that Faye was not only accepting of his friendship and conversation, but she acknowledged the building sexual tension. She didn't rudely disparage him when she expected a date request, but she calmly explained that now wouldn't be the best time. That speaks volumes of her character, especially since she hadn't socially improved at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36   Go Up