Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445998 times)

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #1100 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:26 »

holy balls, how _is_ Faye going to handle this?

Dora's life could be in danger from something other than her own hand...

I could see Faye quitting. I could see Dora firing her.

I could see Marten lying in a pool of blood with a bullet in his brain, but it isn't very likely.

Oh, Jeph, you magnificent bastard!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1101 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:27 »

Maybe one of these days, Dora will let him get a word in edgewise...

...but by the time she does, he'll probably just say "fuck it".

He probably won't even bother to say it - by then he'll be long gone.

personal experience, there.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1102 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:27 »

Well I guess the Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks have been rendered useless now.

Dora backstory would be Sven and Dora talking, while Dora dicovers something about her. Sven goes hiding upstairs or in the closet when Marten arrives.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1103 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:28 »

Where. Is. My. Goddamn. DORA-BACKSTORY?!?!?!?

I know, Right!
Thirded!

As much as Dora likes to pride herself on her "relationship experience"

What relationship experience?

She served as a doormat for a grab bag of alpha-goths, then when she finally gets together with a guy who actually gives a shit about her she throws that away because of assumptions and irrational fears.

What gets me is she hadn't put any effort into actually dealing with the root cause of her insecurities, only treating the symptoms.

Stick a fork in this relationship. It's done. Moving on...
Agree with not treating the root causes, however I don't think she's even really tried treating symptoms. She's just buried them like Marten buries everything that bothers him, she just blows up about them first.

Warning - while you were typing...Yes, I know there's at least one new reply. Stop chiding me forum.
Quis pater tibi est?

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1104 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:28 »

I could see Marten lying in a pool of blood with a bullet in his brain, but it isn't very likely.

The question is, who put it there?

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #1105 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:28 »

Wow.

Just....wow.

I feel.....I want to feel angry for Marten...I really do, because that is bullshit. If her not being able to deal with a fucking "what if" scenario is the reason for all this fucking drama, then that's bullshit. Yeah, I could understand feeling that way in the beginning, but the fact is, there WAS ALWAYS A CHOICE! He could have said no. He didn't. He wanted to be with Dora. And to wait, what, a year, that she's still insecure about it? And instead of discussing it with Both Faye and Marten, so they could attempt to find a way to make it work (Faye wants her friends to be happy, as is, I would not be surprised to see a Pissed off Faye. Marten is her best friend, and she's always been protective of him. Now he's fucking hurt. And the source of that hurt just seemed to admit that she's been stringing him along for awhile. If her guilt is the source of her anxieties they've been there since the beginning. She could have stopped it then, slowed things down at anytime but did nothing. That info would have been helpful much sooner then the sentence before she broke his heart.

And that's why I'm not angry. I've had that look before. I've felt it, I know it pretty well. So all I am is sad. Sad for Marten because a broken heart is a pain that no one should endure (though everyone will). Tomorrow will be....something.

Warning - while you were typing 17 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Jesus.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #1106 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:29 »

He probably won't even bother to say it - by then he'll be long gone.

personal experience, there.

That's what she's afraid of.

Well that and Faye.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #1107 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:29 »

I like all the characters. They are all people I'd be friends with. That said, I think Dora is being extremely fair here. The truth is, she jumped on Marten in a really shitty way and now she's living with the consequences of that. It's like when you date someone who is married or in a relationship. Even if they eventually leave the other relationship to be with you, you'll always worry that they'll cheat on you too. She made a shitty choice in pursuing him so quickly and in doing so, she lost him before she had him. She'll never know the truth of whether he'd have wanted her if he could have had Faye. That will always be there. No amount of therapy or anything will ever push that stupid nagging little question from her mind. Which is really reminiscent of the question she always had for all of her friends. Do they like me or do they really want Sven? She has a life time of asking herself this kind of question and I don't think it's going to change.

Poor Dora. Poor Marten. It hurts as much to break up with someone as it does to be broken up with. Does that sentence make any sense?

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message: Warning - while you were typing 11 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Christ on a Cracker.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1108 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:30 »

The question is, who put it there?

YOU DID!dun don donnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I can see Sven or himself, but even to put a gun into this plot is wildest supposition.

PS, Yelling Bird is giving Marten anal _right now_

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1109 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:32 »

CURSES! FOILED AGAIN! :x

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1110 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:33 »

Damn...guess it's for real this time :-(

And by "entire" cast in the poll question, does it include "entire" as in Steve, Raven, Sarah, the weasels, Vespavenger, Alan Turing, the allosaurus, the Russian chic, Jim, and any other really obscure characters I've forgotten?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

AsteriskEnye3

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1111 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:35 »

I'm a terrible person. When I got to the end of this comic I got this huge grin on my face and made happy noises.

I didn't realize the extent to which I'd been rooting for a break-up. Ah, well.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #1112 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:35 »

Lady, if he wasn't happy with you he wouldn't be trying to patch things up, and he certainly wouldn't be tearing up now that you've dumped him. It's great that Dora admits what the problem is, but rather than let them work on it together, she'd rather lose the one guy who's NEVER been an asshole to her. Way to go. Bitch.

Man, I saw this coming, but I really didn't think it would make me this mad. Marten's stricken look in the last two panels is just agonizing. For the first time I seriously want to slap Dora.

Seriously? This? This is where you call her a bitch? Dora just did a very good thing here. She looked at their relationship calmly, realized it wasn't working, hasn't worked in some time, and in general doesn't seem to be able to work in the future, and has decided that it's better to get out now while they haven't messed each other up more.

Marten is being... a spineless idiot with a devotion complex, as someone else put it. He shouldn't be all doe-eyed stricken, he should realize Dora is right. Hell, he's the one who's been shown to be the more dissatisfied one in the relationship! Dora has been shown to be quite head over heels for him, but jealous and insecure (with all that at least partly stemming from just how much into him she was).  He's the one who's been shown having doubts about their relationship and their ultimate compatibility for ages now. So he's clinging to it... why? Dora isn't being a bitch, she's doing him a favor, because apparently he has no balls and can't bring himself to end a relationship that obviously isn't working and isn't healthy and doesn't make him happy the way a working relationship should. I have no respect for people who stay in shitty relationships because they can't bring themselves to deal with being single.

I'm calling her a bitch because I see this as a cop-out on her part. "I can't get over something thats in my own head so it's over." What? Doesn't Marten get a say in this? She once talked about seeing a therapist and it's completely beyond me why she didn't do it; whoever she saw woulda had a field day with her brainful o' issues. My point is, she and Marten have only scratched the surface of her problems; she should give them a chance to really talk it over and then make a decision. Hell, it would even be ok if thats when they decided to break up because at least it'd be a mutual thing. Dora's just being nice in this comic; she's not really doing this for Marten's sake, she's doing it for her own. She's scared and wants out.

And I fail to see why not letting go of the woman you love when there's no real reason to believe you can't work it out makes you a spinless idiot. When did he ever have doubts about their relationship? He's been nothing but supportive and affectionate towards her, never aloof or distant.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

brihunts

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1113 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:36 »

I have to say that I'm on the fence about this development.  I've been where Marten is at this point and I decided to stick with the girl despite her insecurities, trust issues and neuroses because I cared very much for her, and that showed her more than anything how I felt about her. Of course, later on she cheated on me but I'm not getting that sort of vibe from Dora as a character and I think this is the sort of trial in their relationship that COULD tie them closer together if played right. Of course, if Marten were of lesser resolve I think this could scar him deeply, but sometimes it's best to stay away from the ones with the heavy baggage.
Esto Paratus | Esto Vigilans

S.S. Marimir

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1114 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:37 »

I actually think that Faye may not be too angry at Dora over this (although predicting anyone's behavior after a few rounds of Emergency Bourbon is difficult at best). To me she has always been closer with Marten than Dora, and beyond any romantic relationship between them, I think that she may be glad that Dora is ending things before Marten gets hurt any more than he already is.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #1115 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:38 »

I dunno though. Given that she is blaming this (sort of, in an indirect sort of way) on Faye, I'm not sure Faye is the one to point it out. Sven still is probably a better option, given his influence on her insecurities. I still think that Hanners would be a good person for Dora to talk to as well. As much as Dora likes to pride herself on her "relationship experience", I think Hanners can give really good, rational advice that Dora might need (though whether she would accept it from Hanners is a different side to the story.)

Faye was the source of angst for the underpants fight too, but her tongue-lashing of Dora is what caused her to see reason. I don't see Faye holding back talking to Dora about this just because it turns out she's got a part in it; it will just increase her disdain for Dora.

Having said that, I'm not at all against a good talk between her and Sven. And I'd also be happy with some Hanners-intervention.

True, but because Faye already said her piece during the underpants fight, I'm not sure that what more she could add would be all that useful to Dora, at least at this point. Also, I think Faye's anger is not what's needed now either. Dora needs reason, and she needs to be listening to it, not talking over the person and making him or her listen to what she (Dora) says. That's why I think Sven is a good choice, and Hanners too, but why I don't think Dora may listen to Hanners.

As much as Dora likes to pride herself on her "relationship experience"

What relationship experience?
Well I certainly never said it was good relationship experience, just that Dora prided herself on her own. I based that off of this comic.

Maybe one of these days, Dora will let him get a word in edgewise...

...but by the time she does, he'll probably just say "fuck it".

Ha. This made me laugh and then I was sad because I thought about how much it actually seemed to really apply.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #1116 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:38 »

The only downside to this is you know it won't fucking stick. Things'll be in dramabomb land for awhile, Faye will tit-punch Dora, drag her to the shrink, and make her get her head worked out.

Then everything will go back to how it was.

That's how things go in this comic.

Dogg, I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you celebrate and keep trollin like you do, but this kind of shit is exactly what Tergon was talking about, you keep fucking doing it all the times, could you shut the fuck up. Thanks. I mean, I know it's a mistake to even engage you, it implies you have legitimacy, but I figure I'll at least ask as a matter of courtesy. :)

holy balls, how _is_ Faye going to handle this?

Dora's life could be in danger from something other than her own hand...

I could see Faye quitting. I could see Dora firing her.

Oh, Jeph, you magnificent bastard!

I predict Faye goes into a fugue state. Angus and Marigold find her later, the remains (if they can be called that) of Dora and Marten on her hands, whispering over and over "Ph'nglui mgnl'wafh CTHULHU R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn".
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

nockiemommy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Need a hand?
    • Crochet Blog "One Happy Hooker"
« Reply #1117 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:39 »

Yes .... pleasepleaseplease no Marten/Faye ... it would reek of a bad Lifetime movie like you dog in the newsposts from Faye and Dora's girly-movie nights. .... Though, admittedly, I would kinda like to see an Angus-Faye-Sven love triangle ... She DID break Sven, after all ... But back to Dora and Marten .... bleargh!! She just went total bitch on the one guy who didn't treat her like shit ... If she was real ... I'd totally wanna smack her. Hell ... I wanna smack her anyway. Have Faye smack her! Or Cosette, or Raven! Have somebody smack her! I never disliked Dora so much as I do right now.
I love America. We've been hurt but we also hurt others. You know you never hurt anybody? The ESKIMOS! Do we even know what they look like without those silly coats? Nobody ever talks about invading..wherever the hell they're from. Does anybody even know?

akronnick

« Reply #1118 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:40 »

I'm really interested in seeing Faye's reaction to this whole situation.

She probably wants to talk to Dora to see what the Hell is going on, but she's stuck at the damn Coffee shop! (with the Hobo, no less! (and not the Makeout Hobo, either.  :wink:))

She's counting the hours until she can close up and find out how bad the damage is, hoping for the best fearing the worst. Every tick of the clock an eternity.

And when she finally does find out...

Warning - while you were typing 6 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll read them next.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Goddammit!  :psyduck:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

HeavyP

• Woo!
« Reply #1119 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:41 »

Oh.  Snap.

merv

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1120 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:42 »

I expected this to happen. It's weird, I've been in exact same situation. Is it horrible to say I don't know if I can read the comic anymore because it's too similar an experience. Maybe that's a compliment to Jeph's believable characters. I don't think I'll be read it for a few weeks. Too depressing. Too close to home.

I don't think she needs to see a psychologist I think they need time apart. See what happens in the future. She's not being a bitch for being honest about her feelings, and she is right things would just continue. If their meant to be they'll come back together later, if not then eh at least it taught them both something important. She also was not "stringing him along" , she hoped it would work, couldn't deal with her shit so they need to be apart. She might want to work on her issues alone, she's always going to have this negativity.

Dora is not a bitch, she tried and vocalised her feelings. Faye is after all the original bitch who strung him along, I don't care about her past issues same as don't care about Dora's. Take care with other people in your life, which is what Dora is doing right now by giving distance between them.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1121 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:42 »

Ya know...

I'm kinda surprised the BBS server hasn't had a catastrophic failure  

Warning - while you were reading C:\ BURST INTO FLAMES You may wish to review your post.

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #1122 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:43 »

To all those saying Marten should see this as a good thing, I ask this....

Have any of you truly flat out been in love before? Really? Cause if you have then you may have realized that letting go of something you love out of nowhere really takes the fucking wind out of your sails, especially when you think you can fix it? He's not being spineless, he's being human.

This isn't a mutual break up. This isn't two people falling out of love. One clearly is still in love because he's clearly there. You don't wade through shit and risk a potential shit storm for no reason.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1123 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:43 »

Wow! :-(  The shot heard around the QC world. I bet Archduke Ferdinand had an expression like Marten's too. Repercussions should be interesting, if a challenge for Jeph to bring off.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Somniloquence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1124 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:44 »

Wow, I just gained massive amounts of respect for Dora here. She didn't burst into tears and say, "OMG I HATE YOU WHY DO YOU TREAT ME TERRIBLY" or yell at him or anything (okay, maybe earlier, but things get blown out of proportion when you're arguing) she said, "I don't think this is fair to either of us". She ended it because she's insecure, and she knows it. She's come to realize that she can't do this with Marten, and it's not fair to him or her. She's not making up some BS excuse about it, but being honest as to the reason it's not working. And what's even better, is the fact that she still likes him as a person.

That...makes me like Dora a whole lot more than I have for a while.

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

lol
"The aim of psychoanalysis is to relieve people of their neurotic unhappiness so that they can be normally unhappy."
--Sigmund Freud

brihunts

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1125 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:44 »

Yes .... pleasepleaseplease no Marten/Faye ... it would reek of a bad Lifetime movie like you dog in the newsposts from Faye and Dora's girly-movie nights. .... Though, admittedly, I would kinda like to see an Angus-Faye-Sven love triangle ... She DID break Sven, after all ... But back to Dora and Marten .... bleargh!! She just went total bitch on the one guy who didn't treat her like shit ... If she was real ... I'd totally wanna smack her. Hell ... I wanna smack her anyway. Have Faye smack her! Or Cosette, or Raven! Have somebody smack her! I never disliked Dora so much as I do right now.

It seems that's the way it usually goes, though and it makes me sad. If this holds true to life, I fully expect Dora's circle of friends to crumble around her.
Esto Paratus | Esto Vigilans

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #1126 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:46 »

And with tonight's comic, Dora Bianchi's reign of terror is over.

nockiemommy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1127 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:48 »

It seems that's the way it usually goes, though and it makes me sad. If this holds true to life, I fully expect Dora's circle of friends to crumble around her.
.... I'd make a new line, but I can't ... Any tips on fixing a possibly fried laptop key? Please educate me ... And, going into more though, this is true .... My daughter's father did something similar ... eerily similar, but our catalyst wasn't a fight over someone's porn .... And our social circle kinda turned into .... a labyrinthian maze. Poor Marten, and kinda poor Dora ... Damn you, Jeph, you and your believable characters!!
I love America. We've been hurt but we also hurt others. You know you never hurt anybody? The ESKIMOS! Do we even know what they look like without those silly coats? Nobody ever talks about invading..wherever the hell they're from. Does anybody even know?

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1128 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:51 »

And with tonight's comic, Dora Bianchi's reign of terror is over.

Or not.

Believe it or not, She Who Is Now My Wife and I went through one of these episodes...  spent some time apart and now...  

Ultimately it depends on where Jeph takes the story.

SPOILER ALERT:    Tomorrow.... Martin wakes up and this has ALL BEEN A HORRIBLE DREAM.    He rolls over and reformats his hard-drive then goes back to sleep.     ;)

Exar_Kun

• Me Hawngry!
« Reply #1129 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:51 »

Yep, this totally reminds me of my last relationship. Girl has issues with guys being assholes to her, and she lets said issues bring down a previously healthy relationship with me. The only difference is that she ended up BACK WITH ONE OF HER OLD ASSHOLE BOYFRIENDS. The day we broke up I told her exactly how that kind of thing would end. In hindsight, that was probably not a smart move on my part, and I ended up being right on the money, and she ended up hating me for being right. I have never before nor since had such a mixture of elitist pride and self-depreciation stirring inside me.

tl;dr lurv is hard.

Warning - while you were typing 36 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Ok this is getting slightly ridiculous.
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

keeperoflore

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1130 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:52 »

all i have to say is. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

but i knew it was going to happen, i just wish it didnt.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #1131 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:53 »

Have any of you truly flat out been in love before? Really? Cause if you have then you may have realized that letting go of something you love out of nowhere really takes the fucking wind out of your sails, especially when you think you can fix it? He's not being spineless, he's being human.

This isn't a mutual break up. This isn't two people falling out of love. One clearly is still in love because he's clearly there. You don't wade through shit and risk a potential shit storm for no reason.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.

This is what I was trying to get at. We all have the benefit of having outside perspective, but from Marten's point of view, this is out of the blue and not necessary. I agree she was being unfair to him in letting him think she wasn't as insecure as she really was, but she's being unfair to him now, too by assuming that he can't handle her or help her get over it, when (I beileve, anyway) he is very able and willing to.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #1132 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:53 »

Wow, I just gained massive amounts of respect for Dora here. She didn't burst into tears and say, "OMG I HATE YOU WHY DO YOU TREAT ME TERRIBLY" or yell at him or anything (okay, maybe earlier, but things get blown out of proportion when you're arguing) she said, "I don't think this is fair to either of us". She ended it because she's insecure, and she knows it. She's come to realize that she can't do this with Marten, and it's not fair to him or her. She's not making up some BS excuse about it, but being honest as to the reason it's not working. And what's even better, is the fact that she still likes him as a person.

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

lol

I'm inclined to...both agree and disagree. I don't believe she's being entirely honest; the Faye thing isn't entirely an artifice, but it's not really why she wants to call it quits. She wants to do that because it is at this point the easier thing to do, the thing all her instincts are screaming at her to do. If they break up she can't hurt him anymore, right? If they break up she doesn't have to change as a person. If they break up at least her insecurities won't be on him. It's better this way, her brain soothes her.

This is not necessarily true. Easy options are rarely the right choice.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

westrim

« Reply #1133 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:55 »

:-o  Okay, maybe that isn't the right one, since I expected/hoped for this. Maybe  :| Nope, not quite it. Fuck it, I'm going with the duck.  :psyduck:

...Wow.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :evil:
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 22:57 by westrim »

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #1134 on: 17 Nov 2010, 22:57 »

:-o  Okay, maybe that isn't the right one, since I expected/hoped for this. Maybe  :| Nope, not quite it. Fuck it, I'm going with the duck  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

...Wow.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :evil:

There is no evil in bringing more psyduck to this thread.

edit: Ok before anyone points out that I quoted the post directly in front of me, it's obvious at the rate of postings on this page that I had no way to expect I would actually be able to do that.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 22:59 by AngelofShadows »

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #1135 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:01 »

Holy Sudden Breakup, Batman!

I feared it would come to this, but hoped I was wrong. Oh well, their whole social circle is going to implode now. No more Marten hanging out at the coffee shop, no more Dora coming over to hang out with him and Faye, no couples night out with Faye and Angus. I kinda feel sorry for Faye, she's going to be torn between her two closest friends who now have too much baggage between them to be in each other's presence for long.

The sad thing is, I think it's gonna be Marten who's left out in the cold. Dora still has the coffee shop and friends there after all. And I wonder if Marten's gonna be even MORE reluctant to stand up for himself in the future-after all, the last time he did it resulted in him getting dumped! At least, that's one way his broken heart may look at it...

Warning - while you were typing 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

:roll: Damn, this server may implode under the load it's being forced to carry...
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #1136 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:01 »

The problem is that there's no way to know how far to take the Dora-feels-bad-but-doesn't-want-to-hurt-Marten loop.  She's breaking up so that she can stop hurting Marten, but also because she doesn't want to hurt herself, but because she doesn't want Marten to have to deal with her hurting herself, but because she'd feel bad about hurting Marten, but he'd feel bad about her being miserable about him being miserable...

No, that way lies madness.

What we can see is that Marten doesn't want this to happen - AngelofShadows said it best, there is no way to feel good about someone you love breaking up with you.  And I'd even go so far as to say that a good chunk of Dora obviously doesn't want to break up either.  She's just seeing it, right or wrong, as the best choice at the moment.  Whether her reasons are truly selfish or not, it's the only thing she can think of to do with her head where it is right now.

I'm looking forward to Marten's actual reaction to this.  I... don't think he'll try to talk her out of it, not because he's spineless or because he's dependent on the relationship or anything of the sort.  Just because I think he's too smart to believe he can talk this away.  It'll sure as hell shake up the group dynamic, and I do wonder if it'll be a permanent breakup, but either way the penny has officially dropped with a big thud.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

nockiemommy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1137 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

:-o  Okay, maybe that isn't the right one, since I expected/hoped for this. Maybe  :| Nope, not quite it. Fuck it, I'm going with the duck  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

...Wow.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :evil:

edit: Ok before anyone points out that I quoted the post directly in front of me, it's obvious at the rate of postings on this page that I had no way to expect I would actually be able to do that.
Ahahahahah! This is true ... one guy earlier had "36 posts" while he was typing ... Funny ... But sad as hell ... *does Christopher Walkin* MOAR PSYDUCK!!  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

akronnick

« Reply #1138 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

...Wow.

It's all good, Moar Psyduck!!!!! :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Somniloquence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1139 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

lol

I'm inclined to...both agree and disagree. I don't believe she's being entirely honest; the Faye thing isn't entirely an artifice, but it's not really why she wants to call it quits. She wants to do that because it is at this point the easier thing to do, the thing all her instincts are screaming at her to do. If they break up she can't hurt him anymore, right? If they break up she doesn't have to change as a person. If they break up at least her insecurities won't be on him. It's better this way, her brain soothes her.

This is not necessarily true. Easy options are rarely the right choice.
It's definitely not the best thing she could have done, I'll agree. It would have been better for her to stick around and get therapy, something I think would help her a lot. However, she's certainly acting a lot more reasonable on this point than she has in arguments in the past, even ten to fifteen minutes ago or however long ago the argument started. I think she's being honest to an extent, and I respect her for that because I know a lot of people who just won't open up in that way.
"The aim of psychoanalysis is to relieve people of their neurotic unhappiness so that they can be normally unhappy."
--Sigmund Freud

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #1140 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:03 »

(I've posted this before but what the hell...)

Warning - while you were reading the last twenty pages of posts, your friends and loved ones carried on without you. You may wish to review your life.

Edit:
Yay, 666 posts.  :-)

Spontaneous Metal Interlude!   :evil:

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #1141 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:04 »

As I said in a previous post, I went trough a similar situation before and learned through the hard way that's better to spend your time in something else and not in a one-sided relationship. Marten's going to grow up a lot after this.

Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

oh for fuck's sake

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #1142 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:04 »

It just occoured to me.  Marten's talk with Tai about how she couldn't date his sloppy seconds was foreshadowing.  Damn that Jeph!

Inclement

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Severe storms comin'.
« Reply #1143 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:05 »

To be quite honest...I'm extremely sad at what's going on.  Marten has been/is/will always be (prediction) a very emotionally turbulent person.  This, from personal experience, leads to horrible decision making and perhaps mistakes that can't be taken back.  Things could be said, things could be done, but quite honestly, Marten may just leave quietly and not care about anything anymore.  I really hope he doesn't, but there's always that.  Relationship issues abound, and there's got to be someone (Raven/Hannelore/Tai/Marigold [Not including Faye because she's already distanced herself waaaaaaaaay off from ever having a relationship with Marten, not to mention the infighting that'd go on with her and Dora.]) that will let Marten have them as an emotional crutch, at least until he can stand on his own again.  Where this leads, nobody knows...I'm worried, though.

nockiemommy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1144 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:06 »

:psyduck: So  :psyduck: can :psyduck:we :psyduck: posibly  :psyduck: make :psyduck: a thread  :psyduck: dedicated  :psyduck: soley to  :psyduck: MOAR PSYDUCK?  :psyduck: :psyduck: Just wonderin' ... Happy Psyduck Random Dancing!  :psyduck:

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #1145 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:07 »

Friday Predict?

At the apartment. Faye is there waiting when Marten walks in. She asks if everything is ok. No response. She asks again. He simply walks past her to his room. Before shutting the door he says one line, emotionally drained.

"I'm going to bed....and then I'm going home."

Door closes. FUCKING CLIFFHANGER FOR A WEEK!

westrim

« Reply #1146 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:09 »

:psyduck: So  :psyduck: can :psyduck:we :psyduck: posibly  :psyduck: make :psyduck: a thread  :psyduck: dedicated  :psyduck: soley to  :psyduck: MOAR PSYDUCK?  :psyduck: :psyduck: Just wonderin' ... Happy Psyduck Random Dancing!  :psyduck:
:-o  Okay, maybe that isn't the right one, since I expected/hoped for this. Maybe  :| Nope, not quite it. Fuck it, I'm going with the duck  :psyduck:

...Wow.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :evil:

It's all good, Moar Psyduck!!!!! :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Your command is my wish.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:... :?

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #1147 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:10 »

Friday Predict?

At the apartment. Faye is there waiting when Marten walks in. She asks if everything is ok. No response. She asks again. He simply walks past her to his room. Before shutting the door he says one line, emotionally drained.

"I'm going to bed....and then I'm going home."

Door closes. FUCKING CLIFFHANGER FOR A WEEK!

Maybe, maybe not, but there's definitely going to be a cliffhanger.  Jeph loves to torment us.  :-D

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1148 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:11 »

All the  :psyduck: is making me feel  :psyduck:

eyosgkxb

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Don't NOT look into it's eyes!
« Reply #1149 on: 17 Nov 2010, 23:11 »

HAHAHA

Thanks Dora.

Tergon stop trying to ruin everyone's fun, today we rejoice! Let the crying begin.
a herp derp derrr, a derp a hurk burf
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36   Go Up