Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445523 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #1250 on: 18 Nov 2010, 00:58 »

Wow, and here I was thinking I was the only one who was tearing up at this Pixar stuff.

No, we are all just a bunch of sappy blubbering messes.  Also: "Goodbye, Clearance Puppy."

D

I blubbered like a baby.

Am I alone in thinking that this isn't over? Everyone, and most especially all the 'shipper tribes, are so quick to jump on the bandwagon of Marten and Dora are over, but I'm not so sure...

For one thing, they're at Sven's, and he hasn't made an appearance yet. Now, we all know Sven as a notorious womanizer. We also know that Sven is Dora's big brother, and that he thinks that Marten's the best thing that's ever happened to Dora. And he's had his own personal Jiminy Intern conscience working on him lately. He's been off the main stage for a while, which means he could have been getting up to all kinds of personal growth, which we got to see some of in his date with Hannelore. This would be a great opportunity to show us how far he's really come along.

I think that Sven is going to enter this little drama with something like 'Now just a damn minute, little sister.' What's more, I think this will lead into the Dora backstory that has been getting hinted at for such a long time; I think that will be the cliffhanger. Something along the lines of 'Just a damn minute. I've seen this starting to fray at the seams for a while now, and he is too good for you to lose just because you can't face your old wounds.' We'll hear Dora protesting, too, because she actually thinks they weren't that bad ('I've had... well, they weren't the BEST, but I was YOUNG...). She knows what Sven is referring to, and has been avoiding admitting the mistakes she made because she didn't think very highly of herself back then. I think the last panel will be something like 'Remember (one of Dora's boyfriends names)?'

The bell hasn't rung, kids. The fat lady hasn't sung.

In short, (Stars forgive me for this pun), I think Dora's going to have an intersvention.

Seconded, if not for the jacket. That implies that he's already talked to her.

I am holding out for this to happen but something tells me based on Jeph's comment under the strip today that it may actually be over...or its a long time coming that she needs to face her issues.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1251 on: 18 Nov 2010, 00:59 »

Am I alone in thinking that this isn't over? Everyone, and most especially all the 'shipper tribes, are so quick to jump on the bandwagon of Marten and Dora are over, but I'm not so sure...

For one thing, they're at Sven's, and he hasn't made an appearance yet. Now, we all know Sven as a notorious womanizer. We also know that Sven is Dora's big brother, and that he thinks that Marten's the best thing that's ever happened to Dora. And he's had his own personal Jiminy Intern conscience working on him lately. He's been off the main stage for a while, which means he could have been getting up to all kinds of personal growth, which we got to see some of in his date with Hannelore. This would be a great opportunity to show us how far he's really come along.

I think that Sven is going to enter this little drama with something like 'Now just a damn minute, little sister.' What's more, I think this will lead into the Dora backstory that has been getting hinted at for such a long time; I think that will be the cliffhanger. Something along the lines of 'Just a damn minute. I've seen this starting to fray at the seams for a while now, and he is too good for you to lose just because you can't face your old wounds.' We'll hear Dora protesting, too, because she actually thinks they weren't that bad ('I've had... well, they weren't the BEST, but I was YOUNG...). She knows what Sven is referring to, and has been avoiding admitting the mistakes she made because she didn't think very highly of herself back then. I think the last panel will be something like 'Remember (one of Dora's boyfriends names)?'

The bell hasn't rung, kids. The fat lady hasn't sung.

In short, (Stars forgive me for this pun), I think Dora's going to have an intersvention.

Seconded, if not for the jacket. That implies that he's already talked to her.

That doesn't mean he's aware of her intentions to break it off. He could be just in the kitchen making tea (or whatever he does, I'm projecting because I always make tea in a crisis), and he overhears Dora emotionally cutting off her nose to spite her face.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1252 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:01 »

Jesus. I watch Eureka for a couple hours, and the forums kick up 6 pages.

I feel pretty similarly to Dora's and Marten's breakup the way I did when my friends broke up back in August.

And BTW, I totally feel for Faye right now, because she is going to hear a lot of wailing from both sides, I'm pretty sure.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1253 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:05 »

Prediction: Dora is fucked. She'll get shit from Sven about running away from her problems and being self-destructive, and she'll get hell from Faye for hurting Marten.

"On a break" will ensue. Therapy to follow. I bet they get back together, but not for a while.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1254 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:06 »

relationships will only work if both parties are willing to make things work...sounds to me like Dora doesnt want to put work into it.  She is breaking up with him over her issues
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ThatGuyYeah

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1255 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:08 »

I only registered after reading this comic for three years to put 100 bucks on this prediction:

Dora and Marten will get back together at Henry's wedding.

This isn't my personal feelings about the relationship, I just see a good bet when I see one.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

What the fu-

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #1256 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:10 »

Prediction: Dora is fucked. She'll get shit from Sven about running away from her problems and being self-destructive

As has been mentioned, the fact that she's wearing Sven's hoodie means one of three things-

1: They've ALREADY talked about this, he's consoled her and possibly even pushed her to end things
2: Dora's been ignoring boundaries again and sifted through Sven's hoodie closet/drawer
3: Dora goes through people's dirty laundry basket, where she got the hoodie.

I feel like I've said this before...

Arky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1257 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:10 »

I only registered after reading this comic for three years to put 100 bucks on this prediction:

This isn't my personal feelings about the relationship, I just see a good bet when I see one.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

What the fu-

Oh, that's GOOD.  I like that.

tuxedobob

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1258 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:11 »

This comic doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that it didn't happen a year ago.

Marten and Dora always seemed like sex partners more than a couple.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1259 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:12 »

Prediction: Dora is fucked. She'll get shit from Sven about running away from her problems and being self-destructive

As has been mentioned, the fact that she's wearing Sven's hoodie means one of three things-

1: They've ALREADY talked about this, he's consoled her and possibly even pushed her to end things
2: Dora's been ignoring boundaries again and sifted through Sven's hoodie closet/drawer

how do we know Dora doesnt actually own a white hoodie, only Sven is allowed to wear a white hoodie?

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #1260 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:16 »

how do we know Dora doesnt actually own a white hoodie, only Sven is allowed to wear a white hoodie?

Dora and Marten live together. Share the same bedroom. Closet space.

Dora was wearing a barely-covering top when she stormed out of the apartment, where she immediately went straight to Svens. She did NOT stop at the COD on the way.

Unless she has a magic repository of hoodies along the route from the apartment to Svens, the hoodie cannot belong to her.

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #1261 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:21 »

Make no mistake, Hanners is more than allowed to wear that hoodie!

As for the main discussion, I'm one of those hoping that Sven is making tea, we will get backstory, we will get the second talk. This might lead to Dora and Marten getting back together, it might lead to a still-friends breakup (sort of like it did with Faye).

And another note, not only is the post count of this thread enormous, look at the reads... it may hit 20 000 before the week is over. Now that is horrifying  :psyduck:
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

Hekka

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1262 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:22 »

I'm pretty sure this is it. Not to climb up on the soap box, but I know what it's like to be in a relationship where there was another girl before you came into the picture, who hung around long after you did and all the paranoid "what if" thoughts that come with it. There is no (stable) middle ground between letting it go, completely and utterly, or breaking it off - and it sounds as if Dora, even in as much time as they have had, is incapable of letting it go.

A relationship without trust is not a relationship at all, and she is not only unconfident in Marten's feelings for her, but also breached his own trust by invading his personal space.

Not only that but, while I understand the comic is supposed to be one of those more relatable ones (thus less "drama, drama, drama"), it hasn't really been going anywhere lately; I've enjoyed it, but for a while now it's felt to me as though it's just a little 'stuck' - it's a little hard for me to explain. This breakup could refresh the plot and opens up the opportunity to introduce the cast and the audience to new places and new people.

If my presumptions are correct, however, it will be interesting to see how they handle the situation and especially the living situation as it is right now.

ETA: My thought was that she probably pinched the hoodie from wherever it was at the time when she arrived. Is Sven even home?

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1263 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:30 »

or

4: Dora walked in, said she's having a rough time and Sven went off to make/get some tea/coffee/alcohol before they sat down to talk about it.
5: Sven gave her some kind of ambiguous advice along the lines of "follow your heart" or "do what makes you happy" or even "you know what you have to do" (referring to therapy, but Dora takes it to mean ending things). He didn't think this is what she'd come up with.
6. There is no possibility number 6.
7. Dora owns her own hoodie.
8. Sven just got up to piss, conversation hasn't gone that far yet.
9. Sven just got up to feed the cat, conversation hasn't gone that far yet.
10. All other possibilities fitting the form "Sven just got up to x, conversation hasn't gone that far yet."

Seriously, it's Questionable Content. Take all your preconceived notions about how many different ways something could go and shred them to tiny bits and use them to insulate a winter coat because they'll be more useful there than in this conversation.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #1264 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:32 »

What the fu-

....Oh that would be gold. I hope you're right, almost.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #1265 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:33 »

"Warning - while you were reading 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post." The Forums are getting restless...

I'm considering that Sven/Faye/Hanners (maybe) will intervene and halt the derailment of Dora's breakup attempt. Marten's obviously bound to turn to Steve for a little bro-support, but really, the schematics of this particular breakup are not looking good for her. I list several points of logical roadblocks:

1: Dora officially moved in with Marten and Faye, right? Assuming that she sold off her former apartment, where's she supposed to start living now? It's not likely that she'll still live in the same place as Marten and Faye after setting all this drama off, and she might not be too keen on moving in with Sven or her folks.

2: Sure, Marten did have feelings for Faye months ago, and yes, she may have taken steps to overcome the things that prevented her and Marten from getting together, but if Dora's hangup is seeing her get between Marten and Faye, that's not valid, since Faye has already found stand-up guy Angus to put her arm around. If Dora lets Marten go, he's got no one else to go to now. (Save for a random vengeful hook up with one of the SMIF library girls, but that's just hitting an A-bomb with a sledgehammer).

and 3: ... I can't think of a third point. Fill in the blank, folks.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #1266 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:36 »

TBH if Dora is ending the relationship it's because she feels that it's over, and usually when that happens it means that IT'S OVER. I don't think that either Marten, Sven, Faye or anyone in the cast will make them come back. Comebacks are extremely rare and in extremely special relationships, and I don't feel that Marten and Dora relationship has been "special"

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #1267 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:41 »

Ian-

Possibility 4 and 5 fall under the SAME DAMNED CATEGORY as possibility 1- That she walked in and told him what had happened.
Possibility 7 was already debunked.
And Possibilities 8 and up all fall under the category of 1.

IanClark, you can take your OWN preconcieved notions and stuff them up a Psyduck, since your latest "addition" to the conversation has been about as useful as a broom made up entirely of... you know.

Got it?

Good.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #1268 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:43 »

IanClark was probably just being snarky.

No need to whip out the dick-brooms.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #1269 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:44 »

or as marten leaves, he pulls a ring box out of his pocket, tosses it to Dora and then walks out.

...that would shatter my mind:psyduck:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #1270 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:45 »

Yeah, that would be absolutely devastating for Dora...

Ghostfingers

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1271 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:46 »

I'm one of the many newbies who decided to create an account purely for the purpose of posting here.

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that useful, insightful, or entertaining to post. I mostly just wanted to say that I, like many others, have a lot of respect for Dora right now. Even if you take the view that she's avoiding confronting her problems, it still takes a lot of strength to essentially say "I'm too fucked up to make the people I love happy." Given that she knows, logically, that Marten is a good guy and treats her well, I'd bet this will have some long term effect on her. Maybe she /will/ confront her problems on her own.

Personally, I've had to deal with a lot of the same issues, and I find I got through them best when I didn't feel like there was someone sitting around waiting for me to get better, and getting hurt in the meantime. Maybe now that's she realized she's hurting a good person, she'll start to make progress.

Or not. Who knows? It'll be a fun ride no matter what.

Entity79

« Reply #1272 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:48 »

Wow. Never saw this coming.

Immediately thought of this song...fits the situation perfectly, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZdlFKYd84

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1273 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:50 »

Wow. Never saw this coming.

Immediately thought of this song...fits the situation perfectly, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZdlFKYd84

I was thinking more of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePmikngFRg

yup, and make her think about what she just threw away.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1274 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:56 »

As for Sven, I think he opened the door to Marten and then discretely left the room saying "I'll leave you two to talk"...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pika_power

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1275 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:03 »

or as marten leaves, he pulls a ring box out of his pocket, tosses it to Dora and then walks out.

And make me lose a good deal of faith in Jeph as a writer. There's been no foreshadowing of Martin going for marriage, and the relationship hasn't been going long enough or smoothly enough to make matrimony viable.

Or I've taken a joke too seriously. One of the two.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1276 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:10 »

FATALITY!!

f'reals, owich
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #1277 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:11 »

FIFTY PAGES BY FRIDAY LOL
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Tellusora

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1278 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:13 »

I'm one of the many newbies who decided to create an account purely for the purpose of posting here.

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that useful, insightful, or entertaining to post. I mostly just wanted to say that I, like many others, have a lot of respect for Dora right now. Even if you take the view that she's avoiding confronting her problems, it still takes a lot of strength to essentially say "I'm too fucked up to make the people I love happy." Given that she knows, logically, that Marten is a good guy and treats her well, I'd bet this will have some long term effect on her. Maybe she /will/ confront her problems on her own.

Personally, I've had to deal with a lot of the same issues, and I find I got through them best when I didn't feel like there was someone sitting around waiting for me to get better, and getting hurt in the meantime. Maybe now that's she realized she's hurting a good person, she'll start to make progress.

Or not. Who knows? It'll be a fun ride no matter what.

I was about to same something intelligent but you said everything I was going to. So...

Word. =)

Arky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1279 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:15 »

BTW, whoever referred to the storyline in Something Positive where Branwen and Davan broke up... yeah, I felt S_P lost a lot with that.  I've never warmed to Vanessa (although I haven't stopped reading S_P either, well, not yet... but I wish something would goddamn HAPPEN there, and NOT something involving either Mike or Kharisma, so I'll probably be waiting until like 2013).  But I don't think this breakup will stop QC being either funny or intriguing.  I mean it could, but the forward planning on QC is a lot better.  The Branwen breakup was totally out of the blue, and mostly because she wasn't even in Randy Milholland's original storyline plan (so he had to break the characters up to get on with whatever his ultimate OTP is- possibly Davan/Vanessa- despite how popular was and how well it worked in the comic).

Bdrone

« Reply #1280 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:17 »

I had to join to throw this in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78U_6Q9cMWw
Just watch Dora's soul snap like a twix bar.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #1281 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:26 »

or

4: Dora walked in, said she's having a rough time and Sven went off to make/get some tea/coffee/alcohol before they sat down to talk about it.
5: Sven gave her some kind of ambiguous advice along the lines of "follow your heart" or "do what makes you happy" or even "you know what you have to do" (referring to therapy, but Dora takes it to mean ending things). He didn't think this is what she'd come up with.
6. There is no possibility number 6.
7. Dora owns her own hoodie.
8. Sven just got up to piss, conversation hasn't gone that far yet.
9. Sven just got up to feed the cat, conversation hasn't gone that far yet.
10. All other possibilities fitting the form "Sven just got up to x, conversation hasn't gone that far yet."

Seriously, it's Questionable Content. Take all your preconceived notions about how many different ways something could go and shred them to tiny bits and use them to insulate a winter coat because they'll be more useful there than in this conversation.

Option 26. Sven is totally banging his intern in the bedroom and is oblivious to his sister's drama.
Option 27. Sven is totally banging Marigold in the bedroom and is oblivious to his sister's drama.
Option 27a. Sven is cyber-banging Marigold in WoW and is oblivious to his sister's drama.
Option 27b. Sven and Dale are double-teaming Marigold somewhere somehow.
Option 28. Sven is banging cleaning the kitchen with Hannelore and is oblivious to his sister's drama.
Option 29. Sven IS the hoodie.
Option 30. Sven is nude and waiting for Marten, but the young fool has yet to follow the rose petals upstairs because he has to finish breaking up with Sven's sister.
Option 31. Sven gave Dora the hoodie and went to get his own Emergency Bourbon.
Option 31a. Lacking his own, he is splitting the Midnight Hobo with Faye, but somehow not hitting on her.
Option 31z. Faye decides to hook him up with Marigold due to appropriate boob proportioning.
Option 32. Sven is summoning Cthulhu. Iä! Iä-R'lyeh!
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Napoleon_Blownapart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1282 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:30 »

I really respect Jeph for having the balls to introduce this kind of drama into Marten's story. It mirrors the kind of events many people experience in real life. I think we've all been in that place when we've come to a crossroads with a partner and either we or they got hurt badly by it.

I also wonder how Jeph intends to handle writing the drama bomb and aftermath. I find Marten is written to have the weakest personality out of all the characters in the strip and I think he's become a bit of a wallflower while his friends have taken the spotlight. I hope Jeph allows him to grow a pair and become interesting again without too much wangst.

gathayah

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1283 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:34 »

Call me crazy, but from a story-telling perspective I think the break-up is a good thing. Completely ignoring my personal feelings about it and looking solely at Jeph's story-telling ability, it's great because it makes his characters feel so real. It's showing that life doesn't always work out the way you want it to. And that's perfectly demonstrated here: as much as both of them would like to work it out, it probably wouldn't work because there are so many underlying problems. And THAT is brilliant. Throughout the entire comic Jeph has been nothing but a fantastic storyteller. He obviously knows what he's doing and I can't wait to see where this goes.
Delicious bourbon
Finest of all the spirits
A drunken haiku

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1284 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:41 »

I had to join to throw this in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78U_6Q9cMWw
Just watch Dora's soul snap like a twix bar.

Oh my stars and garters, thank you so much for sharing that. I went and found the full review and laughed so hard tears are coming out of my eyes and I think I peed a little.

I'm STILL giggling about it.

sidpatt

• Not quite a lurker
  • Who's that at the door?
« Reply #1285 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:56 »

BTW, whoever referred to the storyline in Something Positive where Branwen and Davan broke up... yeah, I felt S_P lost a lot with that.  I've never warmed to Vanessa (although I haven't stopped reading S_P either, well, not yet... but I wish something would goddamn HAPPEN there, and NOT something involving either Mike or Kharisma, so I'll probably be waiting until like 2013).  But I don't think this breakup will stop QC being either funny or intriguing.  I mean it could, but the forward planning on QC is a lot better.  The Branwen breakup was totally out of the blue, and mostly because she wasn't even in Randy Milholland's original storyline plan (so he had to break the characters up to get on with whatever his ultimate OTP is- possibly Davan/Vanessa- despite how popular was and how well it worked in the comic).

That was me.

It sort of killed it for me, because I was IN a distance relationship at the time (and am now happily married in that relationship), so I thought the characters were all acting irrationally about that being the end of the world. I sort of looked around at what I had and said, uh, really? Not the end of the world, guys. Just keep communicating, things will be fine.

Very different scenarios in the comics, though, and I think it's because S*P has always been very Davan-centric, while QC quit just being about Marten a long while back. It's really a lot more of an ensemble piece now, which is actually why I am so very intrigued about all this coming around to fruition. There's a LOT of fallout about to happen, and I for one am very interested to see how it all plays out. I don't expect this to be fully resolved easily, and it's a major turning point in the comic that impacts literally everyone.
IT'S SECRETARIAT!!!

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #1286 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:08 »

Prediction: Dora will be ripped into more forcefully by Hanners than by Faye regarding this whole mess.

We've all seen Hanners go off on people, and I have a feeling we're going to be treated to another she-hulk moment.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #1287 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:08 »

Myself, I ship Marten and Gary at this point. (Click the link, it's a joke pairing.)

(Emergency Vermouth.)

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1288 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:16 »

What the fu-

Who the fuck is Henry?

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #1289 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:17 »

I have avoided this section of the forums like that plague for literally years, but I just can't resist. I was just poking at the Random Strip button, and I realized something terrifying:

Dora and Marten have been dating for 1200 strips. Their first date was around #600. That is a GIGANTIC number.

As for what will happen... it's hard to say. Part of me wants to say it's not over, either due to Marten being unwilling to give up or the previously put forth idea of something else (intersvention is the greatest pun ever) influencing Dora. That may, however, simply be me projecting my personal life onto the comic. Judging from Jeph's Twitter and the newspost, he is taking this very, VERY seriously, and it's hard to take that as any other way than a breakup. If that does happen, I can see Dora developing a little more over time and possibly taking Marten back. But if that happens, it's gonna take a LONG time, especially with Jeph's tendency to put minor silliness before plot development in the long run.

As far as in the short term... I really don't see any possible romantic matches for Marten right now. Faye already has some conflict developing in the wings between her relationships with Angus and Sven, and it's pretty clear she's not available for Marten. Hanners is the only real available female character, and despite her recent growth through her date with Sven, I feel like she's just not mature enough romantically to fulfill the role of a romantic interest. If anything, I would suspect Marten would take a stance of "just ended a serious relationship, not looking for anything right now". The only other alternative would be to pull a new female character out of the woodwork, and there are a couple of reasons why Jeph wouldn't want to do that.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

akronnick

« Reply #1290 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:17 »

Myself, I ship Marten and Gary at this point. (Click the link, it's a joke pairing.)

(Emergency Vermouth.)

Oh Marten and Gary are going to be spending a whole lot of time together in the next few weeks.

Lets hope it doesn't turn into a long term relationship.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

akronnick

« Reply #1291 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:18 »

What the fu-

Who the fuck is Henry?

Marten's Dad.

His partner's name is Maurice

akronnick

« Reply #1292 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:21 »

Dora and Marten have been dating for 1200 strips. Their first date was around #600. That is a GIGANTIC number.

#564 actually.

At least that's when she kisses him.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1293 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:28 »

if marten and Dora are over, then marten probably will be drinking with steve and I agree probably wont be looking for any girls for awhile.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #1294 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:30 »

I'm having fun looking at the poll scores at the top of the thread.  The score for Dora and Marten - splitsville has been rising steadily and it's making me chuckle.

ATTENTION:  IT DOESN'T COUNT IF YOU PICK A PREDICTION THAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.

:-D
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1295 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:33 »

Next strip.  

An enraged Hanners storms into the apartment and DEMANDS THAT THE RELATIONSHIP CONTINUE OTHERWISE SHE WILL GET VERY ANGRY DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME.

Moments a slightly drunk Faye stumbles in and says "Oh hey I tried to call you Hanners but you didn't answer--"

This leads to the question of HOW DID HANNERS KNOW ABOUT THE BREAKUP?    Hilarious hijinx ensue on Monday.      Angst and drama resume on Tuesday.

Arky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1296 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:33 »

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1297 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:35 »

They aren't actually broken up Tergon, Dora merely is saying that they should break up at this point and Martin is all O_o.          

It's not official until one of them walks out of the building with a :(

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #1298 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:36 »

#564 actually.

At least that's when she kisses him.

Ah true. I was going by the movie-night at #600, because it's the first time they spend the night together. Also it just happened to be a nice round number. As far as the poll goes, I am sadly disappointed by how many people seem to have missed "It never ends". Because let's face it. No matter what happens, things won't be over. Different, but never over.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1299 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:36 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=756

MARTEN THE PROPHET

wow, good find.  Pretty much sums up the situation, except for the bit about the harley.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36   Go Up