Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445559 times)

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #1400 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:59 »

Another day passes by, and just as i think the story arc couldn't get more depressing, an a-bomb is ignited. The look in Martens eyes in just simply heartbreaking  :cry:. That, my friends, is a combination of disbelief and numbing, soulshattering pain. I feel so sorry and sad for him. Against my better judgement, i decided to log into forums and wade through new pages (goddamnit, already at page 28, this will be one looooong discussion) and actually got little bit suprised that the flow of river dora's-bitch had mellowed down a bit (counting out some pesky but obvious trolls ofc). Found good arguments at both sides, but then i saw something quite damn interesting..

After reading today's strip, I'm not EVEN going to bother with pages 21-27 of this thread.

You wanna see Marten get some balls? You wanna see him "grow a pair"?

His next word (and so help me Jeph, you don't go this way, you might as well start putting him in a brown t-shirt that says "WELCOME" in big bright letters, because he's a DOORMAT) would be:

"NO."

Somehow i can imagine the hatred of "ze troll patrol", if Marten would "man up" now, at the "wrong time". Somehow, the only word describing the forums would be
 "Arma-goddamn-motherf****n-geddon" (excuse the language and the obvious MM quote  :roll:)

But alas, the only one who knows for sure what is going to happen in QCverse is mr Jacques, and despite the sad and depressing arc, i am compelled to see what is going to happen next (just hoping friday will NOT be yelling bird to pull a prank on the readers  :-D )

And for last remark, there was at somepoint mentioned some kind of "background music" to situation. When i was reading todays strip, my winamp happened to pick this song in random, and GODDAMN, that hit the mark SO HARD (the atmosphere and such)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

*bows in respect for the order of broom and steps back lurking in shadows*
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1401 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:01 »

I'll miss days like this if they do split

Man why you gotta bring up that now, I mean fuck, don't, don't bring that cute shit in here.

NO I'M NOT SAD! I just...I just have something in my eye...

...something in my heart...;_;

d'awww /hands a tissue
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #1402 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:05 »

Man, I hope you're wrong. I'm boosting for 'nevermore', and something that doesn't get undone.
_my_ ideal QC future has a prominent dead body in it.

I don't get why anyone over the age of, say, four* would want a storyline that would "go their way", or, even worse, only has characters that they like.

What I appreciate about QC is that it always finds a way of taking turns that I didn't expect, and sometimes has developments in the storyline that piss me off. This provides for surprises and new insights.
Are you seriously saying that you would dismiss, say, Hamlet, because Hamlet and Ophelia don't live happiily ever after, or because you don't like one of the main characters? I can see someone disliking Ophelia, and Hamlet himself isn't a particularly nice guy himself.

Also, I think this thread could be easily reduced to a somewhat more manageable length if all the posts whining about "Oh, please, Jeph, I want it to go that way", or relentlessly repeating "I hate Dora and I want her to die in the foreseeable future" would be stripped.

In general, I think it's safe to say that, if you hate a character, that's fine, but people get bored with your mantra if you keep repeating it over and over. I took Wiregeek's post as an example, merely because he provides so many examples, but there are many more folks who are so obsessed by their Dora-hate that they apparently haven't seen the huge importance that the Dora character has had on the story.

*) I make an exception for toddlers, who like stories about nice animals, and want to hear the same story over and over and over, because repetition is key at that age.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #1403 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:20 »

for some reason the OP of the Persona 4 game (piano music) AKA Corner of Memories popped in my head when I read this comic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOAC3FAyGiQ
~~~~~

eyosgkxb

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Don't NOT look into it's eyes!
« Reply #1404 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:21 »

Isn't Marigold going to end up with that nice brown boy?

I don't want Marten to end up with a fat chick again.  :|
a herp derp derrr, a derp a hurk burf

srpilha

• Not quite a lurker
  • composer, researcher (no, srsly)
« Reply #1405 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:33 »

Here's an interesting exercise: read today's comic, than click "First". Compare and wonder.

Could anyone, including Mr.JJ (or even him most of all) have then guessed that this trip would get to this depth and this point of character development?

Not me, anyway. Congrats, Mr.JJ, on a terriffic work still going strong.
Eggplant casserole tonight?
Why, yes!

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #1406 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:34 »

I have a proposal for you.
Why don't you approach a web comic artist and offer him a nice wad of money to write the comic you want to read? Or why don't you start your own web comic? You could then read a comic that goes exactly like you want to, and stop reading QC.
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #1407 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:36 »

I don't want Marten to end up with a fat chick again.  :|

Why don't you approach a web comic artist and offer him a nice wad of money to write the comic you want to read? Or why don't you start your own web comic? You could then read a comic that goes exactly like you want to, and stop reading QC.

Oh delightful, hurt feelings again! I wasn't even trolling this time.  :laugh:

Who is the fatter chick at them moment, Faye or Marigold, I think Faye is a little bit smaller than Marigold, only because she appears rather rounder sometimes. I also imagine Marigold doesn't get out too much.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #1408 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:39 »

Must... resist... urge... to... feed... troll.... :psyduck:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

vettechinohio

« Reply #1409 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:39 »

Oh delightful, hurt feelings again! I wasn't even trolling this time.  :laugh:

Who is the fatter chick at them moment, Faye or Marigold, I think Faye is a little bit smaller than Marigold, only because she appears rather rounder sometimes. I also imagine Marigold doesn't get out too much.

No, you're not trolling. You're just being as asshole. There is a difference.
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1410 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:41 »

*whistles*

Impressive trolling.

Don't forget, the racism or fat-hate isn't the problem, expressing your opinion on plot development is!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1411 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:42 »

That's a very good way to lose your hand...and your sanity. Just find a dwarf, dye his hair red, give him a couple of axes and let him go to work.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #1412 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:42 »

Why bother going out when you gots the internet?
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1413 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:45 »

*whistles*

Impressive trolling.

Don't forget, the racism or fat-hate isn't the problem, expressing your opinion on plot development is!

That's the funniest part of the whole exchange, to me. The other guy doesn't even care about the (admittedly funny) racial sarcasm, they're focusing on the plot criticism.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #1414 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:46 »

It is when you do it incessantly.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1415 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:51 »

Well, bitch more about people who have the sheer audacity to have an opinion that differs in any significant way from yours, we're almost to page 30!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #1416 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:52 »

I can't help but think that this forum was a lot nicer when the activation emails didn't get sent out.
Which is kinda sad, really, because I only got to subscribe after the activation email thingy was fixed.  :psyduck:

But the current invasion of trolls and Internet Tough Guys is unsettling.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #1417 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:53 »

Wait, you can't say nice brown boy for a person of unknown ethnic origin?

I don't get mad when I get brown boy or black guy. That's so weird.  :psyduck:

Must be a lot of overly sensitive fatties around.

I digress, I must be doing that thing that everyone 27 pages behind me was doing. You know applying their feelings and desires onto a fictional medium in hopes that it sorta goes the direction I hope it does.

I can't help but think that this forum was a lot nicer when the activation emails didn't get sent out.
Which is kinda sad, really, because I only got to subscribe after the activation email thingy was fixed.  :psyduck:

Oh no! People with differing opinions! Silence them quickly before I'm forced to read their posts.  :-o
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 10:55 by eyosgkxb »

akronnick

« Reply #1418 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:55 »

Which is kinda sad, really, because I only got to subscribe after the activation email thingy was fixed.  :psyduck:

Meh, they'll get bored and leave before to long.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Smoot

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1419 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:55 »

Assuming this is the actual breakup, and not something else, could I float the notion that Marten shouldn't 'go to' anyone for the time being?
It's understandable to miss 'having someone', after a breakup, but it's realistic (and just plain wise) to give it a while. There's also the possibility of  making that person your 'transition' SO... and that's not the kindest thing to do to someone.

Not saying "Marten should join a monastic order", but a bit of a gap might be good.

(BTW- still taking the longshot outside bet on Vicky, for the hell of it. Whose last appearance happened to be recently redrawn? ;) )

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Dang.

eyosgkxb

« Reply #1420 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:56 »

Well, bitch more about people who have the sheer audacity to have an opinion that differs in any significant way from yours, we're almost to page 30!

Wiregeek, I've been following you and I must say, while you keep your opinion quite well, you really seem to bounce from one end of the spectrum to another. I'm not talking you down though, you at least respect free speech for what it is.

Which is kinda sad, really, because I only got to subscribe after the activation email thingy was fixed.  :psyduck:

Meh, they'll get bored and leave before to long.

I'll stick around just for you.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 10:58 by eyosgkxb »

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1421 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:57 »

Assuming this is the actual breakup, and not something else, could I float the notion that Marten shouldn't 'go to' anyone for the time being?
It's understandable to miss 'having someone', after a breakup, but it's realistic (and just plain wise) to give it a while. There's also the possibility of  making that person your 'transition' SO... and that's not the kindest thing to do to someone.

Not saying "Marten should join a monastic order", but a bit of a gap might be good.

If this plays out like I think it's gonna, it won't be a problem. If my #2 theory pans out (Breakup is final, yes), then I believe Marten is gonna be hanging out with the Booze Hallucinations for a while.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1422 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:59 »

Wiregeek, I've been following you and I must say, while you keep your opinion quite well, you really seem to bounce from one end of the spectrum to another. I'm not talking you down though, you at least respect free speech for what it is.

Ehn, free speech doesn't enter into discussions in a private venue. By definition, the First Amendment to the U.S. constitution applies to governmental bodies, not private persons who happen to be in charge of a private venue for a private function.

I am quite enjoying the time I'm spending here, PLEASE do not start ringing the free speech bell, it attracts people who make a dick-broom look like the finest example of cleaning equipment engineering ever made.

akronnick

« Reply #1423 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:01 »

(BTW- still taking the longshot outside bet on Vicky, for the hell of it. Whose last appearance happened to be recently redrawn? ;) )

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Dang.

Either Vicky will come back into his life and be murdered by Faye, or, Angus's ex (who had her latte snailed by Dora) will come into his life and on their third date, they run into Dora, who's all "Bitch, get yo' filthy hands offa My Man!"

They will then be forced to cross Hanzo swords...

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1424 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:03 »

They will then be forced to cross Hanzo swords...

Oh I think Jeph would do a gorgeous job of a sword-duel-in-the-snow!

You're tempting me to re-watch Kill Bill instead of Dr. Who, tempter!

lolbutts

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1425 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:05 »

This is what needed to happen. I really like Dora, I just haven't really liked Dora in this relationship for a while. She needs to get back to having fun; maybe with a little side dose of issue confronting at the same time. Poor Marten, I'm really, really hoping this doesn't take some sort of Midnight Hobo related turn about now. I'm not going to lie, I was a huge Faye/Marten shipper for years, but it would be the worst thing ever if it were to happen now.

Also, you know the way Jeph's been slowly 'prepping' Hanners for a relationship? I hope it's not with Marten, I don't see that working out really well for some reason. Maybe I think Marten needs someone a little less neurotic after the Faye/Dora debacles. Maybe Marten needs to go gay with Steve after Cossette puts him off women for life by doing something catastrophic to his pubic hair.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 11:12 by lolbutts »

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #1426 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:06 »

If this plays out like I think it's gonna, it won't be a problem. If my #2 theory pans out (Breakup is final, yes), then I believe Marten is gonna be hanging out with the Booze Hallucinations for a while.
And sleeping with them.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1427 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:09 »

Also, you know the way Jeph's been slowly 'prepping' Hanners for a relationship? I hope it's not with Marten, I don't see that working out really well for some reason. Maybe I think Marten needs someone a little less neurotic after the Faye/Dora debacles. Maybe Marten needs to go gay with Steve after Cossette puts him off women for life by doing something catastrophic to his pubic hair.

Cosette is such a darling. I think she's my favorite 'second tier' character.

And sleeping with them.

I dunno, brain, what would the children be like?   :psyduck: :psyduck:

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1428 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:13 »

Indeed. Where is the ignore button?  :psyduck:

On Marten and Dora: My money is on the break-up. For good. I felt so sorry for Marten in this strip :( As someone has pointed out, you can see his heart breaking, but I do not think he will come around after Dora's "Thanks, it's been nice"-dump.

Marten/other woman right now: I don't think so. Seriously, Marten is a really nice guy who is really shy. He's been single for so long that Steve started to make jokes about it. I mean, have you seen how in the first strips he fought with himself on asking Sarah out? He also couldn't ask Faye out, and I'm happy they never got together. They have a great, deep friendship, they're there for each other, they help each other, they share their sense of humour... I love their scenes together and I don't think they'd be as happy as a couple.

Dora/other person right now: now that's a possibility. If she doesn't start working on her issues, she may go after someone else. She is able to pursue the person she wants. But, I don't think she will. She has also been single for a long time, and I think she's sensible enough to not use someone as rebound fuck.

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #1429 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:13 »

The real question is... Will this thread have more words in it than ALL OF QC before the next week's thread starts?

Seriously, I'm kind of curious.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

Boradis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1430 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:15 »

QC in a 12 steps.

• Puppy-eyed human invertebrate Marten crushes on Faye, an unlikeable, heartless and manipulative bitch whose only "redeeming quality" is her tits. 
  • In swoops Dora, an unlikeable, controlling and flat-chested bitch whose only "redeeming quality" is the fact she'll sleep with Marten. 
  • "Wackiness ensues."
  • Faye suggests to Dora that she should horribly invade Marten's personal space right in front of him.
  • Dora displays her intelligence, wisdom and respect for her partner by agreeing, "Okey dokey, girl whom I believe my boyfriend would rather be with."
  • Marten attempts to skip millions of years of evolution by growing a backbone, but only manages a partially formed coccyx -- AKA the "butt bone."
  • Dora invades Marten's personal space.
  • Marten attempts to stand up for himself, but his spinal stump is only partly effective. Mostly he just writhes on his ass.
  • Faye mocks him for his "bitterness."
  • Marten attempts to apologize for some reason.
  • Dora decides she's sick of him putting up with her shit ... so she dumps herself for him.
  • Marten's coccyx collapses back into gelatin.

I have a hard time feeling much empathy for any of them. And I think Jeph's got a mild case of head-in-butt disease if he thinks the story of an eternally innocent guy surrounded by hot but abusive, and/or batshit insane chicks isn't somewhat misogynistic.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1431 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:20 »

Dora/other person right now: now that's a possibility. If she doesn't start working on her issues, she may go after someone else. She is able to pursue the person she wants. But, I don't think she will. She has also been single for a long time, and I think she's sensible enough to not use someone as rebound fuck.

You know, 20 strips ago, I'd have agreed with you, but I don't think Dora's firing on all cylinders at the moment. Whether this is short term or not remains to be seen, but I don't think I'd be surprised at any specific conduct out of our Barrista Boss right now.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1432 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:24 »

Running away is NEVER the answer.
Unless you're being chased by a man with a knife.
nah the answer would be a gun.
"And if that don't work... use more gun."

The Gatling Gun:  For those who can never have enough gun(TM)

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #1433 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:24 »

I have a hard time feeling much empathy for any of them. And I think Jeph's got a mild case of head-in-butt disease if he thinks the story of an eternally innocent guy surrounded by hot but abusive, and/or batshit insane chicks isn't somewhat misogynistic.

It's interesting  you say that because feminists actually love his work. They say that many of the female characters have 'strong' and 'reasonable' characterization.

I'm of the opinion that the men are the ones who commonly take a beating here. They're generally failures in some or many regards...or completely absent for hundreds of strips.

Clell65619

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • "What does this do?"
« Reply #1434 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:33 »

- First post from a newby to the forums

- I've been reading QC for a while now, but never felt the need to comment until today.

- I like the strip a lot, it contains some of the best defined (if batshit insane) characters in webcomics.  Faye is so much fun, Dora is a bundle of kinky, Steve is an enigma wrapped in WTF encased in a large paper bag of frequent absences, and Hanners is plain delightfully weird.

- Marten on the other hand is a good guy.  A good guy who got unspeakably lucky with a woman who really wanted to jump his bones, after pursuing another woman who didn't.  That doesn't happen a whole lot in RL, but there you go.

- The look on his face when Dora announced that they were over spoke volumes to me, after all, who hasn't experienced that at least once.

- I'm sure tomorrow's strip is already scripted and in the process of being completed as I write this, but here's what I hope happens...

- Marten needs to man up a bit and inform little miss Dora that there are two people in their relationship and that it isn't over until he agrees that it's over.

- But, that's just me.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1435 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:38 »

- Marten needs to man up a bit and inform little miss Dora that there are two people in their relationship and that it isn't over until he agrees that it's over.

facepalm forever.

:psyduck:

someone1074

« Reply #1436 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:40 »

Ah...maybe he meant to say Marten won't give up without putting forward his thoughts first?

Maybe?

=/

Clell65619

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • "What does this do?"
« Reply #1437 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:43 »

Ah...maybe he meant to say Marten won't give up without putting forward his thoughts first?

Maybe?

=/

- Exactly.  She can't just proclaim it over without at very least talking to him.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1438 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:44 »

The Gatling Gun:  For those who can never have enough gun(TM)

The Railgun:  For those who've outgrown their Gatling Gun.

"I am sure they will listen to Reason." -Snow Crash

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

akronnick

« Reply #1439 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:47 »

The real question is... Will this thread have more words in it than ALL OF QC before the next week's thread starts?

Seriously, I'm kind of curious.

Quite possible, considering that this thread will have more posts than QC has comics by, *looks at watch* I'm guessing about 8pm EST tonight, and that a lot of those posts are total walls of text, so, um, yeah.

Arrgh

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1440 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:50 »

Marten needs to man up a bit and inform little miss Dora that there are two people in their relationship and that it isn't over until he agrees that it's over.
I'm pretty sure things don't work like that. At least I've never seen it outside of tv. When one person says it's over and holds to it, it's over right then regardless of what the other wants.

I like Dora and think it's a bummer that they seem to be breaking up, but shit has to change and obstacles have to be thrown in the way of what people want in order for a story to be interesting. If everybody was happy and well-adjusted and dealt with their conflicts like they've all been in therapy for 20 years, it'd be pretty boring.

saullawl

« Reply #1441 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:53 »

Regardless of what Marten does, has anyone else considered the fact that she's in Sven's house?

With Hannelore's affirmation that Sven really is a good guy deep down, maybe he can snap some sense into Dora before this whole thing becomes final?
It seems like her insecurities in this case are more centered around Marten's past with Faye rather than her own past.

Just speculation. The chances of it happening with Marten in the room are almost nil. If he storms out might have to wait till Monday to see if Sven might play a role in this at all. Just seems weird to me that Sven was redeemed just recently, and he's attempted to save her relationship with Marten before.

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
^too bad, im posting anyway  :-D

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1442 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:53 »

Marten needs to man up a bit and inform little miss Dora that there are two people in their relationship and that it isn't over until he agrees that it's over.
I'm pretty sure things don't work like that. At least I've never seen it outside of tv. When one person says it's over and holds to it, it's over right then regardless of what the other wants.

I like Dora and think it's a bummer that they seem to be breaking up, but shit has to change and obstacles have to be thrown in the way of what people want in order for a story to be interesting. If everybody was happy and well-adjusted and dealt with their conflicts like they've all been in therapy for 20 years, it'd be pretty boring.

I agree wholeheartedly with both of your points.

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1443 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:03 »

the GAU-* Avenger- the gun so awesome they built a damn plaane around it

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1444 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:05 »

the GAU-* Avenger- the gun so awesome they built a damn plaane around it

Let me tell you about this nifty gun nick-named the Davy Crockett...

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1445 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:09 »

Okay.  This actually makes a lot more sense than, "Dora is being a crazy, mood-swinging bitch."  I'd probably be this insecure too if I thought my boyfriend might still be harboring feelings for his (now our) roommate/best friend that he had a crush on and was rejected by very shortly before taking up with me.  I'm not saying she's right, because I think Marten's made it very clear that his attention is square on Dora, but jealousy is rarely rational, and she has, I'm sure, plently niggling at the back of her mind.  For instance, Marten would not move out of the apartment with Faye - Dora had to move in.  From an outsider perspective, this is a guy not willing to move too fast and leave his comfort zone of 'things as they've always been'.  From Dora's perspective, this probably read as, 'Okay, he doesn't want to leave Faye behind.'  Faye is treated by Marten similarly to Dora, in that they are capable of having intimate personal conversations.  Outsiders would see this as a truly good, supportive friendship.  Dora could easily see it as 'treating Faye like me but without the sex.'  And the list goes on and on and on.

The fact of the matter is, Dora is right here; not in her perception that Marten was eventually going to leave her due to unresolved feelings for Faye, because I have a feeling that even if Marten does still feel something for Faye, that's not enough to pull him away from Dora, who's he's built this relationship with.  No, Dora's right in that if she can't get over her insecurity and get her head back in the game, then yes, they need to break up.  It doesn't have to be permanent, but that's up to her and her ability to overcome her security issues.  At the end of the day she's the only one who can learn to get over this; no one, especially not a boyfriend, can teach her to love herself.   That's what the real issue here is - self esteem, leading to insecurity and jealousy.

Say what you will about Dora following past M.O.s of getting out before things have a chance to blossom, but I think her reasoning here is sound (which is probably why Marten has that devastated silence for two panels - not only did she just dump him, but it's difficult to argue with her logic because it's not about his feelings for Faye but how Dora perceives them, which is something he cannot change). I'm just hoping she doesn't actually burn this bridge she's crossed after the fact.
I have nothing more to add to this, it sums up my perception of the matter perfectly.

I second this emotion.

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #1446 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:15 »

Okay.  This actually makes a lot more sense than, "Dora is being a crazy, mood-swinging bitch."  I'd probably be this insecure too if I thought my boyfriend might still be harboring feelings for his (now our) roommate/best friend that he had a crush on and was rejected by very shortly before taking up with me.  I'm not saying she's right, because I think Marten's made it very clear that his attention is square on Dora, but jealousy is rarely rational, and she has, I'm sure, plently niggling at the back of her mind.  For instance, Marten would not move out of the apartment with Faye - Dora had to move in.  From an outsider perspective, this is a guy not willing to move too fast and leave his comfort zone of 'things as they've always been'.  From Dora's perspective, this probably read as, 'Okay, he doesn't want to leave Faye behind.'  Faye is treated by Marten similarly to Dora, in that they are capable of having intimate personal conversations.  Outsiders would see this as a truly good, supportive friendship.  Dora could easily see it as 'treating Faye like me but without the sex.'  And the list goes on and on and on.

The fact of the matter is, Dora is right here; not in her perception that Marten was eventually going to leave her due to unresolved feelings for Faye, because I have a feeling that even if Marten does still feel something for Faye, that's not enough to pull him away from Dora, who's he's built this relationship with.  No, Dora's right in that if she can't get over her insecurity and get her head back in the game, then yes, they need to break up.  It doesn't have to be permanent, but that's up to her and her ability to overcome her security issues.  At the end of the day she's the only one who can learn to get over this; no one, especially not a boyfriend, can teach her to love herself.   That's what the real issue here is - self esteem, leading to insecurity and jealousy.

Say what you will about Dora following past M.O.s of getting out before things have a chance to blossom, but I think her reasoning here is sound (which is probably why Marten has that devastated silence for two panels - not only did she just dump him, but it's difficult to argue with her logic because it's not about his feelings for Faye but how Dora perceives them, which is something he cannot change). I'm just hoping she doesn't actually burn this bridge she's crossed after the fact.
I have nothing more to add to this, it sums up my perception of the matter perfectly.

I second this emotion.
I third it. And for the sake of that and a quote tunnel not being my entire post, I must also say I hope things aren't super shitty between them after this, at least not for very long. I do like Dora, and though I wouldn't mind a little down time for her character I'd hate to see her fall too far out of focus

Pika_power

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1447 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:16 »

Smoot

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1448 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:17 »

facepalm forever.

Bonus points for use of the phrase "Li'l Missy", I'm guessing?

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1449 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:18 »

Hey, look. Foreshadowing.

That's a damn fine link there.

facepalm forever.

Bonus points for use of the phrase "Li'l Missy", I'm guessing?

Ayup.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36   Go Up